[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it worth getting a diagnosis for assburgers? I'm like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: exOxAYG.gif (802 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
exOxAYG.gif
802 KB, 320x240
is it worth getting a diagnosis for assburgers?

I'm like 90% sure I have it

I'm not sure whether confirmation would be a good thing or a bad thing though. But it would be nice to have a reason why I find life 100x harder than most people
>>
>>28914688

I am pretty sure that I have it too. Both my parents have suggested that I have it at different points in my life when I lived with each.

My perspective is - I don't want to know, I don't care.

Do you have an obsessive interest?
>>
>>28914824
>Do you have an obsessive interest?

not particularly one thing. I have many interests but I can get very obsessive about one thing for a week or two then completely forget about it. Especially video games. Which is what I do 75% of the time. Or some specific subject that I just watch on youtube over and over again. I guess I'd say I constantly go from one funk to the other.
I rarely leave my room except to occasionally go to the gym or for a walk. I have very little desire to interact socially or get a girlfriend.

All my days are pretty much similar. I don't like when I can't have 100% control over what I'm doing or my environment.
>>
>>28914688
>>28914824
>>28914926
Same boat as you guys, though I tend to lean more towards OP in terms of actually wanting to know.

Mostly so, in the case I get a positive diagnosis for it, I can say I actually have it instead of self-diagnosing over the internet like some Tumblroid. There might be some fringe benefits in there as well, but none that come to mind that couldn't be reaped already as a non-diagnosed individual.

tfw the only special-snowflake mental disease I've ever specifically been suspected of is ADHD, which was tested for and disproven a long time ago during my prepubescence
>>
bampu in the interest of actual conversation and not the other shitposting that's pushing this closer to the archives
>>
>>28914688
I have the feels for you anon. I went seek out diagnosis though because trying to join military
>>
>>28916367
If you can function fine enough to join the military I don't know why you would bother getting diagnosed. I'm just at the point where I think I need some answers to my life. And why I find it so hard to do the most rudimentary aspects of being an adult.
>>
>>28914688
I'm not even sure Asperger's is still an official medical diagnosis anymore. I think it just falls under the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder
>>
>>28914688
get it for the autism bux bro
>>
>>28914688
>>28916760

>finding [normal/adult] life harder than other people

What do you mean? Is this a typical feel for aspies?
>>
>>28914688

diagnosed autist reporting in.

rank : level 2 autism spectrum disorder, high functioning, and rare regressive form of autism as a baby, which results in enlarged brain size, enhanced long term/rote memory, visual processing and a host of other abnormal neurology/functioning. I also have an affinity for language.

>is it worth getting a diagnosis for assburgers?

Depending which country you live in, you may not be able to get an AS diagnosis. Since 2013 all autism types were rolled into ASD (autism spectrum disorder). Because autism comes in a lot of different combinations of developmental disorder and expression, it's more appropriate to call it a spectrum disorder, like schizophrenia. Also worth mentioning physical brain strucute differences from neurotypicals can vary from more neurons in the per-frontal cortex, less neural connections, brain size differences, abnormal artery sizes in the brain (e.g, more blood flow to the visual cortex), hyper-metabolism in the brain, etc, etc....

>is it worth getting a diagnosis for assburgers?

Probably. Depends on your situation/circumstances, t b h.

For me it gives me access to 1600 bucks a month, supporter services (if I ask for them) and I can get "privileges" at university, which is pretty nice, heh. But there are draw backs I guess. I've never had a real job but I assume when I do get one my autism diagnosis might effect things, but I'm not obligated to inform people so I guess I can work it which ever way I like.

>I'm like 90% sure I have it

You probably do. That's how most diagnosed aspies feel. Neurotypical people (unless they have other mental illnesses), don't feel like they're autistic, and they certainly don't want to be. People like us know that even without a diagnosis, we still are what we are.
>>
>>28917534
having any kind of responsibility can make me internally and externally meltdown

I tried going to university and the whole experience was so overwhelming that one day I just stopped going and lied to my parents I was still going but I just left the house and went and sat in the park all day
>>
>>28917786

see, you're like me. you find normie life overwhelming and probably feel like you're in flight/fight mode all the time or at least when put into the outside world of normal society.

that's when a diagnosis comes in handy. you get the diagnosis then you get "support" and it makes things a lot easier. no shame in it f am. if help is there, take it, fuck what normalfags say. why would you listen to normies? they'll only hold you back.

also

>inb4 that one dumb ass faggot anon calls me a "huckster"

>kys cus you dont even know what huckster means you lil fgt
>>
>>28917870
I've been diagnosed with social anxiety and depression in the past but I definitely feel as if these things are a result of my probable Asperger than anything

because supplements/ medication does nothing. Also, when I did MDMA I didn't want to hug and love everybody. I wanted to go home and listen to Radiohead on my Sennheisers
>>
>>28914688
The worst thing is that you don't get certain jobs, the best thing is welfare https://m.imgur.com/a/OyOid
>>
>>28917930

social anxiety and depression is very, very common among the autist population. there are stats on this. its really not surprising at all.

>because supplements/ medication does nothing.

neither. got put on a lot of meds and the only one that made me feel human was the amphetamines. after my diagnosis my doctors just flat out said to me, "you're not going on anti-depressants ever again".

apparently autist brains aren't compatible/tested with SSRIs and the like.

thinking back on it, i probably have ADD too. my dad does, that's for sure. he's a cunt. also my 89 year old grandpa (dads side) has what I have, almost exactly the same.

>Also, when I did MDMA I didn't want to hug and love everybody. I wanted to go home and listen to Radiohead on my Sennheisers

some autist don't mind hugging, its a misconception we all dislike it. but i get you on the drug thing. when ever im on drugs i become very inwardly and get really lost in deep thought and vivid images in my head.

im trying to get some shrooms this week. shrooms helped me a lot with my empathy issues.
>>
I was considering getting one but it is like $400 and there is a 4 month waiting period
My parents, siblings and my old highschool councilor all seem to think I have it

I'm not really sure though, I don't really have any problems empathizing or understanding facial expressions or picking up subtext/sarcasm
>>
>>28918130
>I don't really have any problems empathizing or understanding facial expressions or picking up subtext/sarcasm

Or perhaps you do, and in fact are so bad at these things you are unable to recognize just how severe your disability is.
>>
>>28918104
I remember the one time I felt any kind of true empathy was on a really strong acid trip. It freaked me the fuck out. I think that was the only time I've ever been able to truly see something from someone elses perspective. Like I can kinda conceptualize empathy as "what would I think in that situation", but that's about it
>>
>>28918178

that happened to me a bit. i was always aware my empathy sucked but it wasn't til i was 19 that i realized what empathy actually was and how bad iam and how shit iam to people. its pretty fucked, having an impaired theory of mind.

>>28918130

like the other anon said, you may not realize it. people with shit empathy normally dont know or they go into full denial mode like i did for years and years.

>understanding facial expressions or picking up subtext/sarcasm

do you look people in the eyes/face when talking?

do you find it easier to listen if you look at an object and not the person?

do you find it harder to reaction expressions when talking to them?

another thing with spergs too is that way have trouble controlling out volume and tone of voice. either monotone or high pitch and child like and sometimes on and off.

also you may not be aware of other peoples tone of voice but i dont know, im speaking from my own experience.

i just cant figure out how people will react to things and i cant imagine what they're thinking most of the time unless its something obvious and logical and im fairly blind to body language but not faces so much.
>>
>>28918223

exact same thing happened to me dude, except it was on a lot of magic mushrooms..a fucking lot.
>>
>>28918178
Nah, I think a more reasonable explanation would be that those people have no idea what aspergers actually is
I think they are just equating social anxiety with aspergers for some reason
>>28918279
>do you look people in the eyes/face when talking?
No, but i figured that was more a social anxiety thing
>do you find it easier to listen if you look at an object and not the person?
I stare at their chest or mouth, or my hands
>do you find it harder to reaction expressions when talking to them?
Not even sure what you asking here, I have to force whatever expression I feel I should be expressing.
>another thing with spergs too is that way have trouble controlling out volume and tone of voice. either monotone or high pitch and child like and sometimes on and off
Describes me perfectly actually, I always speak in a monotone voice, and usually finish my mubbling the last few words in a decreasingly lower voice
>also you may not be aware of other peoples tone of voice but i dont know, im speaking from my own experience
Don't really have a problem with this, I can tell if someone is angry or sad easily by the tone of their voice

Like I said to the other guy, i think the problem is that a lot of symptoms from social anxiety disorders cross over to Aspergers and visa-versa
>>
>>28914926
hory shet are you me? idk if i have 'tismo but i do have pure-o (intrusive thought OCD). sounds more OCDish than assburgers but im not a doctor.
>>
>>28918437

well if you're not getting any of that or the sensory problems then you're probs not aspie. also how you developed as a baby is really key to autism diagnosis now days.
>>
>>28918755
>also how you developed as a baby is really key to autism diagnosis now days
Probably the major reason my parents think I have it
I had selective mutism till i was about 6 or 7 and definitely fit most of the symptoms until i was about 18
That's probably why I think I don't have it, I grew out of most of the symptoms, if you asked me if i had it when I was 17 I would 100% have said yes
>>
>>28914688
I don't have a choice. Doctor diagnosed me so I'm going to a neuropsych in a few weeks. Also going to go to therapy for depression.

I can't read into people's facial expressions or tones of voice. Can't connect socially. Hard to care about most things. Sometimes I honesty don't do things on purpose but it happens. Having learning problems for Uni. Head foggy all the fucking time, can barely think straight.

Get diagnosed if it's seriously fucking with your life like it has mine. Otherwise stop being a lazy sack of shit.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.