[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting community college soon, is it better than highschool?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1464491043411.jpg (105 KB, 677x594) Image search: [Google]
1464491043411.jpg
105 KB, 677x594
Starting community college soon, is it better than highschool? I also have to get a roommate, how bad can this be?
>>
>>28899297
it is but only by a little bit

my advice? Take English and math stuff first to get it out of the way if you're not going into those majors.

Get the fuck out of there as fast as you humanly can, I don't care if you got shit to do during the summer or winter you have to get out of there fast dude. So many people get stuck there for longer than they thought they would be.

I'm speaking from experience, get your shit done and leave.
>>
File: 1464217281181.jpg (276 KB, 669x749) Image search: [Google]
1464217281181.jpg
276 KB, 669x749
I started community college at twenty. Spent three years in it, just transferring this fall.

So right off the bat the biggest difference between highschool and college is that the latter (largely) wants to be there. Community college in particular has a lot of older folks trying to get ahead in life.

What you'll find is that people don't stay there for long. In your first semester you'll meet people on their last semester, and you go further you'll realize how hard it can be to make regular friends that last longer than a year.

The professors should have a lot of free time to just talk with students and answer questions. Take advantage of this, I had many great discussions with my history professor who was a living encyclopedia.

Also if you're looking for qt girls there are all kinds of ages. Just be careful because highschool kids go there and it can be awkward if you find one attractive (or worse, flirt like I did with one for a whole semester).
>>
>>28899297
1. Much better than high school in my opinion
2. Totally depends on the roommate. It can mean a new friend or it can really, really suck
>>
>>28899340
yeah i only plan on staying for two year, i can take some courses online so maybe even shorter.
>>
>>28899297
It's only good if you're a Chad.
>>
>>28899385
>tfw most of my highschool friends either moved or switched schools kinda used to it
>>
File: 1464297329793.jpg (140 KB, 279x733) Image search: [Google]
1464297329793.jpg
140 KB, 279x733
>>28899385
And some more quick tips:

1.) You'll have to do placement tests for math and english. If you want to shave off a year or two in math, go on Khan Academy over the summer and study like a madman. It's totally worth it, I started at Pre-Algebra and had to work my way up.

2.) Pirate everything. Be careful about classes requiring '[Class]MyLab' codes. These are scams, you never use them except in Math. Try to get Math teachers who don't use them to save money, you'll know which ones do this when you look up their required textbooks.

3.) Try to get a job as a tutor. It'll help you build a resume, make some cash, and it isn't hard because tutor spots are always opening up at community college. You'll probably meet some cool students like I did that you'll want to stay in contact with.

4.) Pay attention to summer school. Take science classes over the summer. One of the best classes I ever took was intro Bio in the summer. Teacher was awesome and available to answer anything I could think of. Smaller clas sizes means more help with labs.

5.) Explore the campus. Find comfy spots to study. Look every semester, stuff changes often as comfy spots come and go. If you can find a registration lab those are usually not busy and relatively quiet.
>>
>>28899397
yeah I'm not sure how bad it can be, I just think it's gonna be really awkward living with someone i have zero things in common with.(I just listen to music and shitpost all day)
>>
>>28899420
online courses suck shit. They give you loads of busy work and "research" to do. Avoid if possible. Answering questions and quizzes online is also a maddening experience. "thoracic cavity" and "the thoracic cavity" would be different answers in most online quiz programs.
Summer classes are cozy because everyone there is from different schools and it's not nearly as busy. There are less old people in the summer too so it's easier to make friends that you'll never see again.

Take placement tests, all of them. Also don't waste your money on the books if you can download them. Find out what lab manuals and stuff you will actually need and just get those.
>>
>>28899491
Yeah i took online classes in highschool (retake failed classes online) they suck ass, but if it means i don't have to leave my dorm i don't mind that much. I'm taking my english and math placements in like two days, are there others?
>>
>>28899555
at mine there were tests for Biology, Math, English, Spanish, and French. You might be able to use your ACT score to bypass the classes. That's what I ended up doing for math and english at least. Ask your counselor.

Also, go to see your counselor before you sign up for classes. Figure out where you actually want to go to school. Only take classes that transfer to that school. There's usually a website or a form that you can cross reference to make sure.

It's weird that you have a dorm at your community college, but at least you're not forced to live at home and commute.
>>
>>28899420
>yeah i only plan on staying for two year

Ha Ha Ha Ha Hoo

Nobody leaves community college.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.