[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is stopping you all to become Monks\Nuns of some religious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: thefirstandonlyone.jpg (75 KB, 250x335) Image search: [Google]
thefirstandonlyone.jpg
75 KB, 250x335
What is stopping you all to become Monks\Nuns of some religious order?
Do you all realize that people like you in the past followed the monastic\religious life because of their uniqueness?
If you keep trying to place yourself in an environment which doesn't suit you, you will be unhappy for the whole of your life.
Why not, anons?
>>
In the center or hub of the iconic Buddhist image of the Wheel of Life, or Bhavachakra, usually you will find a picture of a pig or boar, a cock, and a snake, The energy of these creatures turns the wheel of samsara, where unliberated beings wander and experience birth, death, and rebirth, around and around.

These three creatures represent the Three Poisons, or Three Unwholesome Roots, which are the source of all "evil" and negative mental states. The Three Poisons are lobha, dvesha and moha, Sanskrit words usually translated as "greed," "hate" and "ignorance."

In Sanskrit and Pali, the Three Poisons are called the akusala-mula. Akusala, a word usually translated as "evil," actually means "unskillful." Mula means "root." The Three Poisons are, then, the root of evil, or the root from which all unskillful or harmful actions spring.

It is understood in Buddhism that as long as our thoughts, words and actions are conditioned by the Three Poisons they will generate harmful karma and cause problems for ourselves and others.

Living a moral life, then, doesn't just require following the Precepts but purifying ourselves of the Poisons as much as we can.
>>
We begin with ignorance because ignorance, represented by the pig, leads greed and hate. The Theravadin teacher Nyanatiloka Mahathera said,

"For all evil things, and all evil destiny, are really rooted in greed, hate and ignorance; and of these three things ignorance or delusion (moha, avijja) is the chief root and the primary cause of all evil and misery in the world. If there is no more ignorance, there will be no more greed and hatred, no more rebirth, no more suffering."
The Pali word avijja, which in Sanskrit is avidya, refers to the first of the Twelve Links of Dependent Origination. The "links" in this case are the factors that keep us bound to samsara. Avidya and moha both are translated as "ignorance" and are, I understand, close to being synonyms, although as I understand it avidya primarily means unawareness or obscured awareness. Moha has a stronger connotation of "delusion" or "blindness."

The ignorance of moha is the ignorance of the Four Noble Truths and of the fundamental nature of reality. It manifests as the belief that phenomena are fixed and permanent. Most critically, moha manifests in the belief in an autonomous and permanent soul or self. It is clinging to this belief and the desire to protect and even elevate the self that cause hate and greed.

The antidote to ignorance is wisdom.
>>
Dvesha, Hate

The Sanskrit dvesha, also spelled dvesa, or dosa in Pali, can mean anger and aversion as well as hatred. Hate arises from ignorance because we don't see the interconnectedness of all things ad beings and instead experience ourselves as standing apart. Dvesha is represented by the snake.

Because we see ourselves as separate from everything else we judge things to be desirable -- and we want to grasp them -- or we feel aversion, and we want to avoid them. We are also likely to be angry with anyone who gets between us and something we want. We are jealous of people who have things that we want. We hate things that frighten us or seem to pose a threat to us.

The antidote to dvesha is loving kindness.
>>
Lobha, Greed

Lobha is represented on the Wheel of Life by the cock. It refers to desire or attraction for something we think will gratify us or make us, somehow, better or greater. It also refers to the drive to preserve and protect ourselves. The word lobha is found in both Sanskrit and Pali, but sometimes people use the Sanskrit word raga in place of lobha to mean the same thing.

Greed can take a lot of different forms (see "Greed and Desire"), but a good example of lobha would be acquiring things to elevate our status. If we are driven to wear the most stylish clothes so that we will be popular and admired, for example, that is lobha at work. Hoarding things so that we will have them even if everyone else must do without is also lobha.

Self-glorification rarely satisfies us for long, however. It puts us at odds with other humans, many of whom are seeking self-glorification also. We use and manipulate and exploit others to get what we want and to make ourselves feel more secure, but ultimately this makes us more and more isolated.

The antidote to lobha is generosity.
>>
Can we be kung fu monks?
>>
>>28838727
>Greed can take a lot of different forms (see "Greed and Desire"), but a good example of lobha would be acquiring things to elevate our status. If we are driven to wear the most stylish clothes so that we will be popular and admired, for example, that is lobha at work. Hoarding things so that we will have them even if everyone else must do without is also lobha.
>>
>>28838490
Because Buddhist monks are literally at the pinnacle of conceit and self-delusion.

The contrast their purported and professed enlightenment is in with their being dumb as a brick is just cringeworthy.
>>
>>28838878
but everything is self-delusion, anon
>>
>>28838878
(Not to mention, of course, that vast volumes of Buddhist rhetoric are designed to destroy my criticism and ambition.)
>>
>>28838969
Thank you for illustrating, >>28838965. Generic example of populist Buddhist equalization, 'we're all always deluded', designed to empathically make the stupid better through the Eastern equivalent of 'science was wrong before', and also connotatively keep them from pursuing science as earnestly, while going to be two-facedly defended as 'I just wanted to remind people that they should be humble and understand that they can always be wrong', which fails numerous intellectual principles such as 'show don't tell' and 'don't appeal to ignorance', as well as being emotional manipulation, namely manipulating people's sense of what's important ('it's important to be humble').

And that's literally 1/1,000 of what a typical Buddhist text contains.

Buddhism is utter, irreparable trash.
>>
>>28838965
Fuck you, I was going to reply to him that.
>>
>>28839038
>>28838965
Not to mention that the claim itself teaches metonymization (from the parsimonious and platitudinal 'people are sometimes wrong' developing a hysteric 'everything is an illusion'), which is ruinous to self-development.
>>
>>28839038
Even if you try being unbiased, avoiding logical fallacies, cognitive dissonances and so on, you are still biased in favor of avoiding this things, or "biased in favor of being unbiased".
Actually, the most happy, successful, focused people in this world are so because they are completely biased towards something.
A great tennis player is so because he is really biased towards tennis.
There is no escape.
>>
>>28839110
>>28839038
>>28838965
Not to mention that it implicitly hopes to 'teach' that it is acceptable to shift the burden of reducing hyperbolic claims into their parsimonious forms from the 'teacher' into the recipient.

>>28839128
Shut up, clown.
>>
>>28839152
>Shut up, clown.

Actually, let me just -- for the sake of... the idea... that someone reads this... point out the hamfisted manipulation >>28839128 chose to do in that post, too.

>>28839128
Arbitrary, out-of-the-ass equation of necessarily having preferences as being 'biased', a term in English pejorative, so to burden everyone with a damning 'always being biased'. Also so to equalize, 'you're no better than a scientist who worked his ass off to educate himself'. Then using this equivocation of 'being biased' as 'being wrong' versus 'having a preference' so to connote that 'it is fine to be biased', hoping this way to erode people's anxiety at being told or thinking that 'they're biased', so to cripple their intellectual ambition.

Buddhist slime. After all those years, I still don't understand...
>>
>>28839321
>>28839152
>>28839128
In short, take your time with your next reply, Buddhist. Try for 10+ manipulations this time.
>>
I could do with the lifestyle, but without the religious aspect of it.
>>
I have contemporary culture is an infectious cancer.
>>
>>28839128
(How could I not notice: there's also tautology, dismissal of nature/nurture with the good old 'they are successful because they're dedicated'.)
>>
I probably will when I'm old.
>>
>The anti-Buddhist is online and rampart
Can you get a tripcode already so that we can filter you?
>>
>>28839405
But Buddhism is not a rel--*gags before typing it in full because the irony is too bitter*

>>28839506
>post a dozen of examples out of thousands of Buddhist anti-intellectualism
>'stop posting that!'
>>
i find it amusing to see the antibuddha preaching his propaganda in a thread that has the three poisons documented and explained
damn the irony
>>
>>28839812
>baiting me into exposing those Three Hypocrisies as well

Fuck you.

The 'the self doesn't exist' is an astoundingly heavyhanded trigger so to make people zone off: in the typical Buddhist equivocal fashion, it's supposedly an innocent 'just about realizing that your behaviour is influenced by factors bro, just about realizing that' platitude, while designed to disattach you from your priorities, dumb self-contemplation where you lose the picture of your goals such as proving someone's wrong or besting them. It's like that silly 'sir, are you aware that you are a cat' thing. It relies on the old fallacy underlying 'mindfulness', that monitoring your thoughts will enable you to redirect your train of thought onto important matters (which it doesn't).

'All is impermanent' is another platitude arbitrarily elevated to profound to disattach you.

Condemnation of greed and anger is going to be justified by 'but in moderation', which is (1) tautological ('it's good as long as it's good') and (2) shifting the blame for it potentially backfiring and making you passive onto the recipient ('I told you it should be done in moderation bro, not my fault!').

Buddhism is rotting excrement.
>>
>>28840053
>>28839812
The condemnations of greed and anger also betray disinterest in science by condemning them 'in themselves' in separation from the fact that they're evolutionarily, biologically related to personal attainment and social betterment.
>>
>>28839506

Buddhism is shit. It's not just one guy. I fucking hate the religion too. Taoism is the way to go if you must me into something eastern. What's wrong with just being a normal white person and following Christianity though? It's the most redpilled religion.
>>
>>28840095
Taoism is trash as well. It's a collection of crappy proverbs in the form of 'it's better to (insert a contradiction such as "be weak than be strong") because (insert a retarded arbitrary precondition such as "because weak people are actually humble and thus withstand criticism better than strong people hurrr")', thus superficially deflecting criticism while still smuggling in the connotation that 'there is nothing wrong with being weak'. It's basically 'for a pair of qualities A and B where A is by definition better than B, B is actually better than A if we arbitrarily expand the context in such a way that B is better than A by definition, QUALITY LOGIC'. It's embarrassing frankly.
>>
File: 1423324082177.gif (416 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
1423324082177.gif
416 KB, 250x175
videogames, anger, meat
>>
>>28840095
>What's wrong with just being a normal white person and following Christianity though?

It's unfashionable and not nearly 'everything is in the mind' 'true self-awareness is just chilling' 'true wisdom is just sipping on tea' anti-intellectual.
>>
>>28840189
>inb4 some idiot comes and claims that the 'teachers' intentionally used broken reasoning to keep their students watchful for fallacies

This actually happens.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.