[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where would you live?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: minnesota-landscape.jpg (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
minnesota-landscape.jpg
1 MB, 1280x960
ITT: Name the place in the world you most want to live and where you live now.

Rural Minnesota, USA
>Comfy as fuck
>Great temperatures. Snow in winter and ~25C in summer
>Excess of land
>Cheap houses (or at least, cheaper than UK)
>Just seems like a nice place
>Muh sweet American rights

Currently live in a suburb near Gatwick, UK. Fucking hate it
>>
File: IMG_20160226_090520.jpg (43 KB, 438x439) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160226_090520.jpg
43 KB, 438x439
>>28774439
>Rural Minnesota, USA

I'm from the Twin Cities and have family in the country and have spent lots of time there. I'll list off some things about it, starting with the nice things:

>mostly very friendly people
>beautiful scenery
>lakes EVERYWHERE
>lots of wildlife
>can shoot guns
>almost everyone is white, tighter community cohesion
bad:
>rednecks are annoying
>modern country music sucks really badly for the most part, and 90% of all the radio stations are country music
>weather is retardedly extreme: gets so fucking hot and humid, mostly humid; and it's cold as hell during the winter, often without the snow that makes winter pretty enough to tolerate
>mosquitoes, EVERYWHERE. They will ruin your day when you wanted nothing more than to chill outside
>unless you have farm type work to do, like chop wood, there is nothing to fucking do in the country, the nature gets old really fast unfortunately.
>towns are quaint, but very depressing for the most part

I absolutely love it, and hate it a bit: too much state pride to actually hate it.
>>
>>28774698
>country music in yankee-land
fucking why
>>
>>28774823
I actually kinda like country music, it's got a vibe to it
>>
>>28774823
They should at least make a genre of country music that's suited for the Northern States: this southern hillbilly shit doesn't apply to us.
>>
>>28774698
MNfag here. How did all the Somalis end up in these parts though? We didn't have them a few years ago. They're everywhere now in this state, especially in Minneapolis and they're so pushy, kind of rude even. I wish they'd at least learn how to drive or speak English. Other than that, it's pretty nice here.
>>
>>28775098
>How did all the Somalis end up in these parts though?

I heard it was the Lutheran missionaries, same as who brought all the Hmongs. I'm actually totally okay with the Hmongs though.
>>
>>28774439
A metropolis to be honest. Hyperconnected to the Internet, amenities, shopping, good transit, good views, anonymity, preferably no neighbour even caring who you are. New York-tier.
>>
>>28774439
As a midwesterner I'd agree that a warm summer evening here is special but you are only getting that three months of the year.
>>
>>28775587
>three months of the year.
At most. It's a crap shoot whether it'll be way too hot and muggy to enjoy, or if it'll actually be tolerable out.
>>
Italy/New Zealand
>>
Upstate New Hampshire
>>
>>28775098
How do you know their Somali when you're driving?
I've met a lot of Africans in the U.S. haven't met one yet I'd say is a bad guy from what I know about them. It takes some effort on my part a lot of those guys tend to stick to their own but I think I've had more than superficial conversations about things and got an impression of their character. Not just a glance through a shield.
>>
From MN myself here's my endorsement.
Don't move here for the women. A lot of them deserve much better than what they choose to do. Relationships you'll probably just shake your head.
If she doesn't have a tattoo she's probably underage. If she does I'd think about it from another angle. I'm not saying you've over looking something but I haven't settled for one, speculate for yourself why.
>>
>>28775964
Because I usually want to get a look at the idiot driver who does something reckless. I have on more than one occasion witnessed a Somali driver do something like signal that they're going one direction and then swerve in the other. It's like they're trolls on the road. Even worse than seniors.
>>
File: hank-hill.jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
hank-hill.jpg
22 KB, 400x300
>>28774439
Rural minnesotan here.

> comfy
idk what you even mean by this
> great temperatures
absolutely not. your picture is lake in Ely, MN. Winters will hit -40 AIR TEMP and then add onto that with wind chill. Spring and fall are awesome, except super short. Summer is blisteringly hot and humid.
> Lots of land,
indeed
> Cheap houses
metro/suburban areas.. not really. BFE? yes
> just seems like a nice place
your damn right. nicest people in the world hail from minnesota. Also, a strong representation of Scandinavians = hot women
> muh sweet American rights
God bless you, and god bless the USA. I say with great confidence that the USA is the best country on Earth. I don't ever want to go to Europe. Apart from history, there ain't nothing better over there.
>>
>>28776161
>Because I usually want to get a look at the idiot driver who does something reckless.
Really dude. I'll give you a benefit of a doubt and imagine this happened at a traffic jam and you had time to think about it, even then you must have some next level forensic shit.
>>28776258
>> great temperatures
>absolutely not. your picture is lake in Ely, MN. Winters will hit -40 AIR TEMP and then add onto that with wind chill. Spring and fall are awesome, except super short. Summer is blisteringly hot and humid.
If you want to move to Minnesota consider the temperature over anything else. Worse Canada or Florida can throw at you and expect it in the same year been a few it gets worse than Florida for heat, I won't even go into humidity.
>>
I know it's predictable, but as a patriotic introverted Englishman, my ideal place would be a small village in the country, with basic needs (a small grocery shop, a pub, and a post office) all within walking or cycling distance from the house.

Also predictably, I'd want a simple tudor-style thatched cottage, ideally with a little farmland so I can be as self-sufficient as possible.

I know a lot of people would find that unbelievably boring - but being so introverted, I'd like it being quiet and only having a few people to speak to.

Also, bigger more lavish houses and lifestyles just become a burden from experience. Not just to maintain, but also having a smaller space makes you invest more wisely, whereas bigger spaces encourage me to become a consumer-zombie, never fulfilled. Plus it's just comfier and cosier.

I'm not sure if such charming little country villages exist anymore in reality though, because rich city people have bought much of it out, making it too expensive for the average person, and taking away the original traditional culture.

As im not from the country myself, id be doing the latter too, but it would be to a much lesser extent because im from a small town and my views are very traditional aside from my tech-saviness.

A man can dream..
>>
>>28774439
Where I am now
>central IL
>annoying fluctuating weather
>most land is devoted to agriculture outside of the cities
>unless you live in Chicago or near St. Louis there's typically little to "do"
>ruled over by corrupt Chicagoans

Where I want to move
>somewhere in the PNW (either Washington or Oregon)
>annoying hipsters in major cities but they're typically nice despite their annoying personalities and run good businesses
>constantly raining (comfy)
>temperate rainforests, mountains, and other beautiful landscapes
>high minimum wages

>>28774698
You forgot to mention the retarded immigration initiatives MN has where they think bringing in hoards of Somalis is a good idea. Although this is more restricted to the larger cities.
>>
>>28774698
> love lakes, forests, cold, and country music

Will you temporarily marry me so I can move there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hd3TtA-suo
>>
File: 1449863607359.png (178 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1449863607359.png
178 KB, 1600x900
>>28776321
>it gets worse than Florida for head, I won't even go into humidity

wew lad, back to the lake with you
>>
>>28774698
>90% country music
Lies. It's mostly the same pop garbage you here everywhere, but we do have 89.3 which is good indie stuff, 88.5 for jazz and big band, 99.5 is classical is more of your speed and a legit rap station (not that pop rap crap). I
Also, there's a bunch of classic rock though personally I can't stand it.
>>
>>28774439
dude. south africa. just google search "froggy farm properties" or go to google streetview. thats the comfiest shit in the world. when I become rich thats where im moving.
>>
>>28777157
Maybe you're not from Minnesota so I'll give you a benefit of a doubt. If you watch the news during heat waves you'd notice Minnesota get's hotter than Florida. It's fucked up don't ask me how it happens you need a meteorologist for that.
>>
>>28777468
It's a humid continental climate. We have extreme degrees of cold or hot weather, and that is the number one thing that makes people want to move from MN usually. It's mellowed out in recent years a bit though. I can't remember the last time we had a winter as cold as they were when I was a kid, and if you're not a sissy about the temps, there's plenty to like about life here. It's cozy, we have good services, and the people are friendly.
>>
>>28774439
Want to live in Kansas City
>Good size city but not huge or overrun with minorities like on the east or west coast
>Lots of stuff to do unlike where I'm at now in the middle of no where
>Job opportunities
>Google fiber
>Close to midwest rural areas so can still be cozy
>Not too cold or hot
>Only friends live there
It seems impossible to get a new start as a broke robot.
>>
>>28774439
NYC

Finland
>Comfy as fuck
>Great temperatures
>Excess of land
>Cheap houses (or at least, cheaper than NYC)
>Just seems like a nice place
>Muh Aurora Borealis
>>
Where I am
>The surroundings of mexico city.
>Ugly neighborhood.
>Shitty people.
>Nothing to do unless you drive like half hour.
>No crime but you walk ten minutes and get to places full of thugs.
Where do I want to live
>>28776503 there.
Or some state of the south of the us would be cool.
>Kind of conservatives.
>Guns.
>Outdoors life.
>Nice landscapes.
>Christians
>>
>>28777598
Bullshit.
We don't get as much snow as back then but it get's pretty fucking cold. I've hoofed it in way below freezing weather like some of the worse around without proper clothing. Who the fuck can afford services? Friendly people well don't confuse polite and friendly with the nice meme.
>>
File: of.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
of.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>28777598
>most want to live
Small-town western Oregon (far away from Portland, maybe an hour or two north of the Cali border.)

I like the climate, I love the forests and the coasts, and I appreciate how easy it is to get far far away from The Man. I'm a bit tinfoil. I also love the coast, there's something serene about being on the shore, and the forests are ridiculously beautiful. Colorado has some truly god-tier forests but it's too far inland and too cold for my tastes.

>where I live right now
(trigger warning) meme state California the money is good here, but I hate the overdevelopment and the general culture in most areas. If you know some people in an area it's decent, but Californians generally aren't too friendly to outsiders compared to people in a lot of other places.

Interestingly enough, northern Nevada residents are extraordinarily friendly to outsiders/newcomers, probably the most friendly I've ever seen.
>>
>>28777977
B-but californians are welcoming and OPEN MINDED people.
>>
>where you live now
Connecticut

>the place in the world you most want to live
I'm not sure but it'd be nice if a place exists that has all of these:
>public transportation
>cooler weather on average
>decent scene for music/arts/local businesses
>plenty of forests but also has decent urban areas
>not a lot of government dependents/ebt queens

I'm thinking Maine, maybe?
>>
File: 014.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
014.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>28778013
Bitch please,I live near the Cali/Oregon border and people are not that accepting.Too bad everyone goes to Oregon to shop because "muh taxes" and ruin the local economy.Pic related,my front yard
>>
I'd like to live in a self built home outside a city, preferably on the edge of a forest or in a desert.
>>
New York City, New York
> I can litteraly walk my ass to work or basically anywhere I want. I also have the subway if I gotta go far
> Largest city in the country, I have a chance of meeting my wife there
> Moderate weather, like my home state

Cons:
> Noise
> The air
> Crime
> Property value

I currently live in suburban NJ
>>
>>28778206

you lucky fuck... i would LOVE to live in a place like that
>>
>>28778206
>Pic related,my front yard
Jesus christ man, that's absolutely beautiful. I know some people who moved up innawoods near Burney, CA and their place is godtier.

I used to work in home construction in the Tahoe area, there are some amazing homes there too. I'm so jealous of your setup my man.

>>28778256
Same here, m8. Gonna build my hermithole someday.
>>
Where im living now
>Coastal region of Alabama
>High fucking humidity
>high fucking heat
>shit to do unless you go to the beach
>I fucking hate the beach
>Shit ton of fucking tourist make everything busy as hell and traffic is hell
Where I want to live:
>virginia or west virginia
>Good landscape
>Coastal (Not sure if west virginia is close enough to get fresh seafood.)
>Not too far up north for salt to be on the roads all the time
>Not too far south for it to be hot as shit all the time
>Southern state
Anyone live in virginia or west virginia? I plan on moving there this year, so if anyone lives there would you mind answering a few questions?
>>
>>28777975
Yeah it still gets cold. I'm not denying that, but we learn to brace ourselves it, and still have some nice spring and autumn weather. We do have good schools, hospitals, financial aid, mental health services, that kind of thing. Also, real estate is very affordable. It's a good place to be a robot, or to raise a family. Though sparsely populated for the most part, our communities are not in shambles and people are generally willing to help. I've lived in states with nicer weather and stuff, but I'm not about to move back there. MN is alright, even if you have to bundle up once in awhile.
>>
>>28777950
Charlotte, NC reporting. The rural areas around me have all of that, except the Christians are generally "Christians", i.e. they go to church but do whatever they want during the week.
>>
>>28776503
>>28777258

Didn't you nigs notice I was talking about RURAL Minnesota? That's what I was saying to OP to fill him in on the rural life here. Why in the fuck would I tell him about Minneapolis or something when he never mentioned living in MN's cities.

In the countryside of MN, the majority of the radio stations are country music. And there aren't many Somalians outside of Minneapolis/St. Paul/St. Cloud.

>>28777093
Are you a gril?
>>
>>28778206
looks ripe for a cleansing fire ;)
>>
>>28778441
I lived around Virginia for a couple of years and it's been great. Good climate, autumn is wonderful. Love taking hikes or hunting. Also seafood is really nice from the Chesapeake bay especially during crab season.
>>
>>28778483
I can't afford school hospitals, don't qualify for financial aid, mental health services, any of that kind of thing. Real estate was not affordable, in fact it was real estate with no electricity or heat in the winter or being homeless growing up some years. Nice place for a robot? Maybe if you're just moving here from no where and you don't have to go to school and have no plans of ever meeting anyone. Raise a family? With fucking what money? Employers won't even give you a call back to tell you to fuck off. You can go years without work and neetbux won't cover it. You're a fucking normie you don't give a shit where you live because you're getting paid all the same.
>>
>>28778949
I'm poor as fuck too, and I had a friend who was just like you. I doubt you'd be any happier sleeping on the sidewalk in a land of normies though, where nearly everyone but you is rich and government aid is practically non-existent. At least here you have a chance at finding affordable housing. Learn to use the system to get yourself some help. I don't even have to pay for food or utilities we've got things so good here. It's the perfect place to be a NEET. Homeless is rough anywhere though.
>>
>>28779205
Sound like you're trying to sell tourists shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 470x313
>>28774439
Please send me to Slovenia so I can die a happy man.
>>
>>28779534
Currently live in semi-rural New South Wales
>>
>>28779456
Nah, I just know there are worse places to be lower-middle income.
>>
Currently live:
Melbourne Australia

Want to live:
Alaska/tennesee usa
>guns
>comfy
>redneck cuties
>chance at a new life
Cons
>no programming jobs, probably still more than here though
>>
>>28779677
You can't afford fucking food or utilities and you're talking about starting a family. Don't try to tell me you aint trying to sell nothing. Why didn't you stay in fucking normie land?
>>
>>28779996
>talking about starting a family.
Relax. I just meant it was a nice, quiet place to grow up, and as public schools go ours aren't too bad compared to some states.
>>
File: qz7X36c.png (464 KB, 540x538) Image search: [Google]
qz7X36c.png
464 KB, 540x538
>>28774439
I live in Vancouver.

This place is fucking shit.

But I honestly don't know where else to go.
>>
>>28780385
you dont like all this rain (not lately), good asian food and easy medical marijuana?
>>
>>28779683
Eyy im in melb too. Not a comfy place at all is it
>>
>>28780385
same here, probably going to live with my parents forever.

I hate life, but I'll always be too much of a manchild to up and move away or call it quits
>>
>>28780420
I don't smoke weed.

The asian food is one of the better things about this place.

Weather is nice but thats not what i hate.

People here in general are all trying to one up each other. Nobody know thier neighbors because nobody speaks the same language.

Communities don't exist.

But i feel like it is like that in every major city.
>>
>>28779534
looks idyllic, very nice
>>
>>28781301
At least you are living with people who love you (hopefully).

I would rather live at home then with some disgusting roommates that i want to murder everyday.
>>
>Where I am and want to be

Seattle, Washington

pros
>can get to the best parts of the Pacific NW easily
>loads of seafood
>trees and flowers everywhere
>misty overcast 3/4ths of the year
>ayy lmao 420 blaze it
>mild temps
>qt asian grills
>bob ross painted skylines

cons
>sjw libruhls everywhere
>over priced shitty food
>normies
>tourists
>hipsters
>shitty expensive coffee/beer
>homeless people/addicts on every corner
>scammers everywhere
>maintaining/parking a car is more expensive than rent
>asian men
>people who say "ayy lmao 420 blaze it" in real life are everywhere

Moved here from the Rust Belt, so it is still leagues better than than my hometown.

>inb4 buttmad locals cry about transplants
>>
>>28774439
>tfw I live in rural Minnesota
If you are a cute girl, come live with me
>>
I live in Portland, Oregon right now, It's alright.

I really want to live in Oslo Norway, Norway in general is so beautiful.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.