[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Space Marine Applicant Quest #5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qst/ - Quests

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 3
File: desert scout.jpg (53 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
desert scout.jpg
53 KB, 736x736
>A brief recap of the adventure so far

You and your three closest friends grew up amongst the broken and pitted rubble of the Carcerum Underhive – a barely civilized place full of gang conflicts and starvation. You and your three friends, Fraq, Sen and Rab, had made something of a living by scrounging in the farthest corners of the Hive, far away from the waves of gang violence that rippled in the center. That is – until you four brought down a vicious and legendary predator, an Allisan Lion, and in doing so proved your worth to a Chapter of Space Marines, the Horned Lions.

Abducting you and your friends, they implanted you with geneseed and rigorously trained you as you learned about the Imperium and the Emperor – about heresy and the endless enemies of mankind. You were happy for a few weeks – but where the geneseed had turned you into a fledgling supersoldier, it had betrayed your friend Sen, and was transforming him into something...else. At the request of Apothecary Fatho, you killed Sen with his own bolt pistol, bringing his soul to the Emperor and granting him peace. The next few months were a whirlwind of prayer to the Emperor and brutal training given by your trainer, Sergeant Karlat. Finally, about 25 hours ago, you were dropped off alone in the hellish wastes of Carcerum, a boiling cauldron of heat and sand. You had braved the Hunt of the Initiates – but you realize that you were not the only one to do so.

One of your greatest friends, Rab, eyes you warily as he crouches and holds a knife at the ready. He had shocked you with a surprise attack, and you had only narrowly avoided the blade from slicing deeply across both your arms. The same geneseed that has made you into a growing and powerful warrior has strengthened him as well. You're not sure what to make of this development – you can't fathom that he would ever harm you, yet here he is. His face is locked in a grimace, and his skin is oddly tight and cracked from exposure – his eyes seem like large globes. You believe that he could kill you, and that he is desperate to try.

All the better for you that you've drawn your bolt pistol, four rounds remaining, and are holding it steady at his chest.

So what do you do, /qst/?

>Try to talk down one of your best friends
>shoot him now
>tell him to drop the knife?
>write-in
>>
>>333507
>>Try to talk down one of your best friends
>>
>>333507

Man this is a hard decision.
>>
>>333507

Alright, made it to a live one. Unfortunately, I can only participate every now and then.
>>
>>333529
>>333547

I'll wait a few more minutes for the other regulars to come in.

In the meanwhile, how are you guys liking the quest so far? Any criticisms or feedback?
>>
>>333556
Still in the formative stages, so far its good.
>>
>>333529
>>333547
>>333553

Alright fellas, give me a 1d100, best of three and your best write-in
>>
>>333556

It's going pretty good, the puzzles are interesting, and has good potential. Once we become a full fledged Astartes I'm sure things will really pick up too.
>>
>>333556
It's been great so far, really enjoying learning about the chapter and seeing the MC grow as a character whilst facing all these tough decisions. So far I've enjoyed the puzzles and haven't really felt stuck for an idea of what the answer could be but this one has me super uncertain. "Trust is their greatest weapon". That line has really thrown me for a loop, I don't know if we should kill our friend now or trust him. WHICH ONE IS THE TRAP OPTION OP!? WHICH ONE!? Just kidding, don't give us a clue.
>>
Rolled 60 (1d100)

>>333573

Calm down bro
>>
Rolled 26 (1d100)

>>333573
Rab, have you lost your sense? This is me, Finial. Your brother and oldest friend. Why would you turn your blade against me of all people? Why would you betray everything you've lived to be here and now?
>>
Rolled 95 (1d100)

>>333573
We probably need to make him repent.
>>
>>333573

Oh, forgot the write in part. I'm not good at those, but>>333593 sounds really good.
>>
Rolled 3 (1d100)

>>333573
"It's us vs. them! I'm your friend; let's not fight each other."
>>
Rolled 75 (1d100)

>>333573
Rab, this is a harsh planet and a grueling, tough test. We've both had to make hard choices but we will get passed them. We only have to pass these final tests and we will truly become a part of a brotherhood. No more hiding in the darkness on some hive world, no more fearing the gangs, this is our future, we will be giants among men, warriors of the Emperor! Just hang in there, we have been friends for life and together we will over come this. Have faith brother."
>>
>>333588
>>333593
>>333600

>26, two degrees of success with the bonus you earned from the nice write-in, you charmers

>>333613

You keep those write-ins coming, anon. Good work.

Writing.
>>
>>333573
"Give me the knife my friend. I hold every conceivable advantage in this situation."
"You care clearly fatigued and you wield a weapon which in our current forms may be considered less than lethal."
"I on the other hand am completely within full strenght of mind and body and armed with a weapon which can most certainly end you with great ease."
>>
>>333618

You take a deep breath, and as calmly as you can, you attempt to talk Rab down. His eyes are wild, like the day you had met him in the Hive. That day, you were sure he would try to kill you too...

"Rab, have you lost your senses? This is me, Finial. Your brother and oldest friend, why would you turn your blade against me of all people? Why would you betray everything you've lived to be here and now? Rab, this is a harsh planet and a grueling, tough test. We've both had to make hard choices but we can't loses our senses at the end. We only have to pass these final tests and we will truly become a part of a brotherhood...This is me, Finial. Your brother and oldest friend. No more hiding in the darkness on some hive world, no more fearing the gangs, this is our future, we will be giants among men, warriors of the Emperor! Why hold a blade against me of all people? Why betray all you've done so far?"

Rab's eyes seem to glaze as your words settle in his minds - the fearful quality drains from scabbed and cracked face as he seems to understand the meaning behind your pleading. He opens his mouth for a moment, and then finally speaks, in a small voice.

"You...you are right, Finial. I can see that you are. To hold a knife against you would be like holding a knife against my own throat." He holds the knife down, gazing at the blade in a dreamlike manner. You think he might say something else, but the moment passes.

You heave a heavy sigh of relief, and take your finger off the trigger of your bolt pistol - no more friends have to die today. Your hearts thud in relief, and Rab suddenly looks at you, determined.

"Finial - you were always the best of us." You stare at him in confusion, and then in horror, as he brings the knife to his throat, and slashes deeply. "NO!" you roar, leaping forwards, but the crimson jets splash all over your hands and face as you desperately try to seal the wound. The blood becomes sticky and the wound halfseals almost immediately under the pressure, the geneseed's gifts attempting to save him, but Rab does nothing to help you. A sad grin seems to widen over his features, as his eyes fade.

Your hands are shaking, and you can distantly hear yourself weeping for the loss of another Carcerum ganger. Standing, you attempt to steady your nerves. Of all the trials so far - this one has seared itself in your mind. The inscription seems to haunt you: TRUST IS THEIR GREATEST WEAPON.

But what to do now?

>examine the final plinth
>search Rab's body for equipment and clues
>write-in

>this is pretty fucked up, but bear with me
>>
>>333670
>search Rab's body for equipment and clues
>>
>>333670
>>search Rab's body for equipment and clues
and then
>>
>>333670
>>search Rab's body for equipment and clues
>>
>>333677
>>333690
>>333702

Roll me a d100, best of three.
>>
Rolled 57 (1d100)

>>333706
>>
Rolled 48 (1d100)

>>333706
>>
Rolled 17 (1d100)

>>333706
>>
Rolled 79 (1d100)

>>333706
>>
>>333717

>17, one degree of success on a toughie

You take a moment to put your grief aside, and then to business. Moving quickly, you wipe your hands as best you can before checking Rab's pockets - he has an empty water canteen that he must have found somewhere on the Hunt, perhaps he had taken a different route than you somehow? At any rate, you check his other pocket to find a tiny bronze key, almost the same coloration as your chronometer, in fact. The key is unmarked as far as you can tell - but you're sure that it will come into play. You stash it into your pocket with your chronometer for now.

Looking at Rab's ruined neck, you feel despair seeping in - you lean forwards to close his eyes with your fingers. It seems wrong, to have him staring up emptily. You settle back on your heels, and then you notice something strange. The underside of his neck is wet and soaked with blood, but you can see something that shouldn't be there - a ridge of some kind? It traces the bottom of his jaw, all around. You take a handful of sand and dirt, and scrub away the blood as best you can. What you find puzzles you - a very thin scar just underneath his jawbone. You've seen Rab almost every day for years in the Underhive, and he's never had a scar like that. Looking closer, you see that its freshly healed, still pink and smooth.

You stare at it in puzzlement for another few seconds before standing. Had he had some other implant done? You simply can't process this strange detail at the moment - your hands have only just stopped shaking.

>examine the chronometer
>write-in
>>
>>333772
>>
>>333772
Cut open the scarred area, see if something strange has been implanted.

Otherwise
>examine the chronometer
>>
>>333772
>write-in
Listen if his heart still beats.
>>
>>333772
>>examine the final plinth
>>
>>333790
>>333793

These, make sure he really is dead, and check out that scar.
>>
I'm gonna be honest here, this puzzle probably is to teach you a subtle lesson about the fallen so that you will not trust your eyes.

I'm going to guess an apothecary handled this person's face so he may test us.
>>
>>333810
That's actually a good poinr
>>
>>333810
Also, I'm going to guess that he "killed" himself just so he can actually attack us when we least expect it or because he realised that we've got a fucking bolt gun and he didn't want to take his chances since the chapter isn't even half strenght.
>>
>>333788
>>333790
>>333793
>>333794

>combining for the sake of time

You grab the knife that Rab has only just dropped, and carefully listen at his chest - silence. You know from experience that two hearts beat loudly, and his hearts are quiet. He must have cut deeply to ensure a fast death.

You wonder if you're really about to do what you think you're about to do. As you maneuver the knife into place, it seems that the answer is yes. Peeling away at the scar, you're shocked at how easily it falls away from the flesh underneath. You barely have to tug at the skin at the top of the incision, and it wetly parts...

You are now holding the face of your friend and companion, Rab. The body beneath you looked and sounded like Rab...But now you wonder if your own face could be so cleanly separated from your body. You doubt it. Whoever this person was - it wasn't your friend, Rab. He was just wearing Rab's face. What that means for your brother, you're not sure. Another riddle, it seems. Just another test designed to push you to the brink. You grimace in anger as you drive the knife into the imposter's chest several times, just in case.

Thank the Emperor that you did not shoot him first - you would never have noticed the scars if you had destroyed his head with a bolter round.

Standing, you briefly examine the engraving again, and now the mirrored images of the warrior in combat have another meaning: be careful in those you trust. You examine the base of the plinth and find a tiny hole - a hole for a key, perhaps?

You take out the chronometer and Rab's key, and again you're struck by the similarity between them. You flip over the chronometer, as it reads that 79 hours to go. Suddenly, you notice that there's a hole in the chronometer too - the similarity between the chronometer and the key seems like more than a coincidence.

>insert Rab's key into chronometer? y/n
>>
>>333866
yes
>>
>>333866
Yes, do it.
>>
>>333866

Yes
>>
My rationale for using the key is this.
>We couldn't get the key, except from the corpse of our "brother"
>The Chronometer we were clearly intended to have and there were no warnings towards it's use.
>Our "brother" didn't try to trick us into using it.

Therefore I believe it's safeish to open.
I mean, there's always the possibility it's a grenade or something, but you know, that's a risk I can live with.
>>
By the way, Malgar, can you at some point make a pastebin which has our character sheet?
I've sort of lost count on our current stats.
All I know is that our Int is stupid high for an aspirant.

Also, I was wondering if we get the same chapter bonus as Dark Angels do in deathwatch if we ever graduate from being scouts.
(5+Ballistic Skill +5 Intelligence and Stoic Defense while fighting solo.)
>>
>>333866
yes
>>
>>333866

You take the key and gently insert into the chronometer – and with a satisfying click, you feel the entire circular timepiece spring open. You expect to find machinery inside, but instead you see a scalloped chamber. To your surprise, you see another key, this one about twice the length of the first. A small ribbon of paper is scrolled about the key. Deftly, you remove both the long key and paper, and begin to read.

CONGRATULATIONS, INITIATE. YOU HAVE SUCCEEDED IN THE HUNT, AND ALSO IN MY RIGOROUS EVALUATION. USE THIS KEY BEFORE 30 HOURS HAVE PASSED AND BE REWARDED - GL

Well, that seems straightforward. Putting the shorter key and Rab's knife into your pocket for now, you kneel and insert the longer key into the steel plinth. You rotate one way and then the other gently, waiting for the mechanism to catch. After a moment, the plinth rises just like the other have, the huge bonfire rising with it, the fires still burning from when you had set them alight.

Below the engraving, you see a dataslate screen – one that displays your location, and a blinking dot that seems to be fast approaching your location. Perhaps your extraction? The plinth settles only for a moment before suddenly ascending again. Beneath the dataslate is a small compartment, and when the plinth settles once more, you reach forward and open the door. Inside, you're surprised to find a small book, in perfect condition. The book itself is entirely black, but ridged somehow in a way that is pleasing to the touch – it has no titling or author on the cover that you can see, so you open the book. On the first page, it reads:

THE CODEX ASTARTES

ROBOUTE GUILLIMAN

And below it, a handwritten note in flowing letters. "Let this Codex guide you ever forwards in victory. You will find that the wisdom within these pages will change over the years, as do you." - GL

The other pages have many diagrams and figures, typed accounts of battles come and gone, means by which victory can be assured and when defenses can be overcome. Your eyes cannot drink it in fast enough - this is an instruction manual for War itself! Amazing! You sit, seeing that the blinking dot on the plinth's data slate is closer all the time, and flip through the Codex. After your Hunt, the weariness has finally conquered you. You feel exhausted, and so you can't hope to actually learn anything as you read pages at random. You can't help but think of your time with the false Rab - you're not sure, but you think you've learned something ineffable about the nature of yourself. You were so confident that your friend was dead, and yet you were wrong. You have learned something about friendship, trust... and when you can be fooled.

>Roll me a 2d10, best of three - one for your permanent PER boost and one for your permanent FEL boost
>>
>>333953

I actually have one but it's out of date, I'll post it at the end of the thread.

As for your second question, the geneseed INT and BS bonuses have already been applied, which is partly why Finial is so bright.

Stoic Defense will come as a free power much like the other things you'll get for free when your training is complete.
>>
Rolled 2, 10 = 12 (2d10)

>>333974
>>
Rolled 1, 9 = 10 (2d10)

>>333974
>>
Rolled 9, 6 = 15 (2d10)

>>334000
>>334006

i'll roll the last one since I need three
>>
Rolled 8, 5 = 13 (2d10)

>>334029

>9,10

Bless the Emperor!

Couldn't get signal to roll in time, but I'm doing it anyways
>>
>>334029
9 and 10
The apothecary clearly gave us the good gene-seed from decent brothers instead of the usual rubbish they harvest from aspiring assault marines that land on their face during their first jet pack lesson.
>>
>>333974

Soon enough, you hear the low roar of the Thunderhawk approaching, and in another minute, it sets down about twenty yards away from both you and the plinth. The rear of the Thunderhawk opens and you see Karlat waving in delight.

"You there! Initiate, board and let's be on our way!" You tramp over and find that Karlat has thoughtfully brought along some ceramite-laced food and water - you can hardly speak for the joy of a simple meal. Karlat, to his credit, allows you to feast in silence as the Thunderhawk rises into the air and begins the flight home. After you finish, there is another few seconds of silence as Karlat seems to examine you in earnest.

"A little ragged, perhaps. But better off than most," he says aloud, smiling. "Empty your pockets, Initiate."

You turn out your limited belongings - you had assembled quite the collection of items, it seems. The chronometer, the long and short key, Rab's knife, the bolt pistol, Rab's empty water canteen, the Codex...Karlat raises his eyebrows as you continue to pull these objects out from your robe. "I take these, Initiate," he grunts, scooping up the keys and the chronometer. Holding the bolt pistol, he quickly unloads it. "And where did you get this?"

>Write-in?
>>
>>334057
I took it from a mouthy servitor sir, he seemed inclined to prevent me from completing the trials, quite the attitude on that one.
>>
>>334057
I pinned the servo-skull and offered him two options.
Surrender or be destroyed.

It refused to surrender, so I chose to destroy it in order to avoid being shot in the back.
>>
>>334057
"There was a fatally uncooperative servo-skull near the cave with all the monsters. I took it from it's corpse. Useful."
>>
>>334057

A servoskull sir (or brother? Forget how we addressed full marines.). It attacked me, and despite an effort to dissuade further aggression, I was forced to disarm it.

tl;dr the truth essentially
>>
>>334074

Not bad, but we aren't bloody magpies.
>>
>>334082
I don't think neophytes nor aspirants are considered brothers.
Specially since Dark Angels has circles upon circles to begin with.
>>
I guess the Master of Forge is going to be pissed.
I mean, in the end there shouldn't be a problem finding a loyal chapter serf for the brain and it's unlikely that we can punch hard enought to make the parts unsalvageable, but it's his techmarines that are going to have to put the parts back together again.
>>
>>334065
>>334068
>>334069
>>334082

>combining

"Ah, it was in the possession of a servo skull, Brother-Sergeant. I had captured it and demanded its surrender, and -" Karlat's eye light up at this and he interjects.

"Initiate, are you telling me that you captured and demanded surrender from a hostile servo-skull?" Karlat is chuckling madly at this, he can hardly contain himself.

"Yes, Sergeant-Brother. I had no choice but to...disarm him forcefully when he refused to stand down." Looking back, even you think it's a bit humorous - you grin despite yourself, cracking your lips fresh.

"And I see you've recovered the Chapter Master's Codex, as well, Initiate." Karlat is suddenly solemn. "The Chapter Master is on campaign currently, but he'll want to meet with you when he next returns to Carcerum. Ensure that you are a shining example of a Horned Lions Initiate when he does so." You nod nervously - you hadn't known for sure that the GL who had been guiding your Hunt across the waste was Gaelos Leovum, Chapter Master.

"You have earned the right to question, Initiate, if you would ask." Karlat intones. It has the ring of ritual somehow.

>anything you want to know from Karlat, /qst/?
>>
>>334118
How have my friends done? Have they completed their trials as well?
>>
>>334118
"Does my brother still have his face?"
>>
>>334126
>>334127

"Have Fraq and Rab completed the trials? Does Rab still have his face?" Karlat nods, taking your concerns seriously.

"First - I see by your question that you know that Rab was not with you at the final point, merely an impostor. I won't ask you how you managed to slay him, or found out the truth. The impostor was a servitor - after months of both surgery and hypnotherapy, he believed he was your friend. He may have looked and sounded just like Rab, and yet we know that the enemies of Man are crafty, and will use our trust against us. I hope you consider this idea carefully, Initiate. It will aid you in your service to the Emperor. Your friend Rab still possesses his face, he is unharmed."

"As for your first question, we shall see. You were the first of your group to prove the Hunt, and now we shall see what your friends are made of. I have high hopes for your friends, Initiate, but only the wastes can tell us if they are worthy of the Chapter." Karlat's grin has returned once more. "Initiate, I recommend you use the remaining time of this flight to rest. This may be the last time you hear me say such a thing, so I suggest you take the opportunity."

>anything else you want to know?
>otherwise you'll sleep
>>
>>334149
What will my training be like?
>>
>>334149
>"Can I have a glass of water? Preferably from not from an ominous pool that somebody probably spat on?"
>>
>>334149
>>anything else you want to know?
How is the greater Imperium? Are we doing well? What does the War look like?
>>
>>334174
Total imperial victory on all fronts!
>>334154
Sunshine and Rainbows!
>>
>>334154

"What will the remainder of my training be like?" you ask curiously.

"You will long for the easy days that you have had previously." Karlat's cheer has once again crossed over into the knowingly malicious. The training you had previously pushed you to your very limits...although in retrospect, you may not have survived the Hunt without such harsh instruction. Still, the idea that you will be pushed even harder is...dreadful. Karlat seems to read your mind and adds flatly - "You may want to sleep now if you can, Initiate."

>>334174

"But what is happening in the Imperium as a whole, Brother-Sergeant? I know the prayers for the Imperium and the Emperor, but where are the battles? This Codex is full of arms and armor, warfare tactics, ship battles. Where will we go to use these tactics? Will we travel far?" Karlat eyes you strangely before responding,

"I forget sometimes that you have almost nothing of the conflict. We are very close to one of the greatest wars waged in thousands of years, Initiate. Only a short Warp jump away, a Chapter Master of another group of Space Marines declared war on the Imperium. His name was Huron, and his Chapter is called the Astral Claws. Last year, six more Chapters loyal to the Emperor arrived at the Badab Sector to bring Huron to justice, and they succeeded. It was a great and terrible conflict, but it was one that the Horned Lions did not participate in." All light and humor has receded from Karlat's face as he recites these events. You see now what a terrible foe Karlat might be if you were to ever see him on the battlefield. Karlat continues, saying "What you must know is this, Initiate. This portion of the Imperium is in great turmoil - the traitor Astral Claws have fled in every direction, and the six victorious Chapters have left to pursue them. The Horned Lions have been charged with stabilizing our sector, the Inanis Sector, and we must begin with our subsector, the Coxitae." Karlat sighs, seemingly overwhelmed at this task.

"Fear not, Initiate. You will not have to travel far to bring death to the enemies of Man. We are adrift in a sea of them."

You nod your head in understanding, already half-asleep. In seconds, consciousness fades from you.

>cont
>>
>>334209

>>334215
>hmm, pretend I included this section in the previous post

"Brother-Sergeant, why is it called the Hunt if I did not track or kill any animals or enemies?"

"Ah, Initiate - it is something of a metaphor. You were hunting your better self, and you found it."

-----------------

The next few days pass like a dream. Still exhausted from your ordeal, you can't help but notice that your station within the Horned Lions seems to have improved somewhat. You have received a new robe, and this one with a red band around the right arm. You were told that the band symbolizes your successful hunt - that you have blooded, and fought for the Emperor, and were granted victory. The full Brothers of the Chapter still pass you silently in the halls, but where they once coldly examined you for weakness, now they nod at you in acknowledgment. Not friendship, not yet - but the recognition of your victory. It's a start.

>Finial has acquired some small measure of Renown within the Chapter!
>Renown: 4

Unfortunately for your friends, you have been kept entirely separate from them - your quarters have been moved and after a brief once over from Apothecary Fatho, you have spent your hours either in the silent tutelage of the Codex Astartes or praying in the Chapel. In the brief moments you pass Rab or Fraq in the halls, they are flanked with stone-faced Brothers. You pray for their safety during their own Hunts.

>roll me four d100's, /qst/
>roll well, because you decide Rab and Fraq's fate.
>>
Rolled 7, 17, 21, 59 = 104 (4d100)

Praise be to kek
>>
Rolled 70, 14, 70, 61 = 215 (4d100)

>>334248
>>
Rolled 28, 100, 8, 86 = 222 (4d100)

>>334248
>>
>>334254
No heresy here.
>>
>>334258
>Nat 100

I am so sorry Rab/Fraq
>>
Rolled 66 (1d100)

>>334254
>>334255
>>334258

I'm actually only counting the first roll for each.

So, 7,70,28, and whatever I roll here.
>>
>>334263
>He got lost in the desert and ended up in the wrong segmentum.
>>
>>334270
Phew
>>
>>334254
>>334255

>okay, so Rab gets three DoS on the puzzles
>however, he gets 5 DoF on the toughness portion of the hunt
>3-5: -2

Roll me a 2d10 to see whether Rab is killed on his Hunt. He has 17 wounds so don't blow it.
>>
Rolled 3, 3 = 6 (2d10)

>>334277
>>
Rolled 1, 5 = 6 (2d10)

>>334277
>>
Rolled 6, 6 = 12 (2d10)

>>334277
>>
>>334278
>>334280
>>334282
That's a lot of sixes.
>>
File: 250.jpg (12 KB, 250x264) Image search: [Google]
250.jpg
12 KB, 250x264
>>334285
Can't say I noticed...
>>
>>334278
>>334280
>>334282

Okay, so Rab definitely makes it. We'll take the first two rolls since they're both 6 anyways.

>Rab probably got slashed up a little by those crab guys but he's okay.

Also, I'm rolling against Rab's INT to see whether he solves GL's special riddles. This is tough challenge but it's possible that he succeeds.
>>
Rolled 18 (1d100)

>>334292

Derp, here's Rab's GL challenge roll. He needs a 16 or better to win.
>>
>>334296
So close!
>>
>>334296

>18, ouch
>Rab gets a sneaking suspicion that there's another element to the Hunt but mostly concerns himself with staying alive, no fancy book for him.

Now for Fraq!

Roll me a 3d10 for Fraq's damage on his Hunt, battle-bros. Fraq solves the puzzles but gets brutalized on his Toughness check (66 vs. 30-whatever), 4 degrees of failure.

Again, he happens to have 17 wounds, so he could definitely kick the bucket.
>>
Rolled 4, 7, 7 = 18 (3d10)

>>334304
>>
Rolled 5, 5, 4 = 14 (3d10)

>>334304
Don't die, Fraq.
>>
Rolled 1, 3, 6 = 10 (3d10)

>>334304
>>
>>334291
Future Grey Knight confirmed.
>>
>>334310
>>334311

I'm tempted to give Fraq the benefit of the doubt here, but with serious consequences. He's only one wound short.

Give me one more 1d100 for PERMANENT DAMAGE.

Fraq didn't do so hot during gene-seed process either, kind of makes sense.
>>
Rolled 63 (1d100)

>>334325
>>
Rolled 51 (1d100)

>>334325
>>
Rolled 89 (1d100)

>>334325
>>
>>334325
Fuck. Can the Apothecaries do something for him when he gets back?
>>
>>334334
I think this is more of a job for Mechanicus now.
>>
>>334347
Ooh. Well, at least they'll give him a bitching left hook now, eh?
>>
>>334349
I don't know if they'll waste bionics on aspirants.
>>
>>334360
Space Marine chapters are always understrength. If they'll waste this much time making sure their applicants aren't shit, they'll give him something for him to actually do his job. Unless he fails and gets serf'd.
>>
>>334328
>>334334
>>334347

Alright, so I rolled on the critical hits table for direction and got "a serious body blow steals the breath from his lungs."

I'm translating this as Fraq getting the shit kicked out of him by the imposter at the final plinth - in particular, Fraq's ceramite-infused ribcage has been shattered. He defeated his opponent, but only barely, and then summoned the Thunderhawk at the very last second of conscious.

When Karlat arrived, they stabilized him and brought him home. I'm thinking that Fraq will suffer permanently from this injury to his ribcage, so I rolled a 1d4 for the number of wounds that Fraq will lose permanently, and of course I got a 4. This leaves Fraq with 13 wounds, which is really not very much for a Space Marine. Bodes poorly for him, desu.

>I'm calling it for tonight! The three Carcerum gangers survive, but Fraq narrowly escapes with his life!

>I'll stick around for questions/answers for a few minutes.
>>
>>334363
If he completes the hunt despite being severely injured, he's technically not an aspirant anymore, so in that case they'd might break out the bionics just so they'd have an extra recruit in when being severely understrength.

After all, bionics are reusable even if he dies later in glorious battle.
>>
Rolled 83 (1d100)

>>334368
Thanks for running, that was fun. Rolling for Fraqs likelyhood of death in the near future
>>
>>334368
How's the Chapter's equipment look? Are they oodling with weapons, or are they down to bolter & chainsword?
>>
>>334371
Welp, the dice gods find him lacking. Too bad.
>>
>>334368
You forget space marines heal up better and easier than normal humans, and usually get better medical care. That's likely a temporary malus at best.
>>
>>334368
What was Fraq good at again?
>>
>>334376
Yes, but he's not a marine yet.
He's a neophyte that's not seen any combat, so he's still below a scout.

I'd say that if he manages to survive his scout training and become a tactical marine, then yea, the chapter might patch him up with some augmentations.

As it stands, he's still bearing the bare minimum Gene-seed that Dark Angels give to test out if they're even capable of surviving the process.
>>
>>334325
>Fraq didn't do so hot during gene-seed process either, kind of makes sense.
The apothecary ran out of gene-seed halfway through and just filled the empty space with paper mache.
>>
>>334380
Nvm, found it.
>Fraq, with black skin and hair, unluckier than some, he's a great all-rounder, with a talent for improvised weaponry.
The black guy is always the first to die.
>>
>>334376

True, maybe I'll have him regenerate the wounds slowly over time.

>>334380

Nothing really, he was a solid all-rounder to fill out the squad. Finial was somewhat the leader and voice of reason, Sen was the excitable I-can-do-anything kind of guy, and Fraq usually stepped in to mediate disputes. He'd make a good Chaplain if he lives long enough.

>>334374

The Horned Lions are a DA successor Chapter, so they DO get some pretty nice equipment - the problem is that they don't have very many marines who are skilled enough to really use it well. I'm playing this off as there is tons of spare Thunderhawks/Land Speeders and basic wargear, and even some Predators and a few Terminator suits, but the Chapter is so understaffed that most of this stuff just sits in the Shadowed Lair waiting for use.

>>334389

So Fraq is set to receive implant number 6, just like you. My understanding is that this last stage is usually the last "dangerous" part of the implantation process. I think it's the first couple for growth and toughness that usually kill people, but I could be wrong. Implants 8-19 all seem like more or less minor changes
>>
>>334397
Sen was the first to die anon, it's all good, we avoided the trope
>>
>>334404
Nice. Do the chapter deploy with any different doctrinal changes? An over-reliance on Flyers, for example, or favoring bikes?
>>
>>334404
I always reckoned that the heart implant and the ones that involve their healing are probably the most dangerous part.
I mean, you fuck that up and well, you're pretty much dead.

With the other ones, well, you can probably take your time with those.
You can't exactly wait too long for your heart to start working again.
>>
>>334405
Well, it's not like marines are black or white after the transformation.
I mean, their skin colour changes based on the sunlight levels.
Even the niggest of recruits becomes pale like a snowflake if they fight in a world with a perpetual night.
>>
>>334414

So when I rolled up this Chapter using the generator, I got Armored Assault and Librarian Specialty. Combined with Dark Angel determination and the theme of hunting, I'm going with an "armored ambush/safari into the jungle" vibe.

Basically, when the Lions are out in force, they attempt to ambush pockets of resistance and hard targets with combined arms and vehicular assaults, especially deep in enemy territory where defenses may not be prepared properly. No single emphasis on a particular vehicle type, since the Armoury has plenty of everything - they try to use the right tools for the job, if they can. Unfortunately, the Chapter is pretty standoffish and doesn't overly intervene for Imperial Guard or Sector interests, and worse, prefer not to announce their presence or victories. This means a lot of successful Lions ambushes go unreported, and then the Chapter refuses to elaborate why they weren't in location X instead of location Y. Secondly, the Lion's don't always agree with battle strategy that other Imperial forces want to use - they're just not team players that way.

As for the Librarian specialty, I have something up my sleeve for this and I don't want to spoil it just yet.
>>
I'm going to guess we're located somewhere within the Segmentum Obscurus, since we're a Dark Angels successor chapter.

Are we at the borderlands of Imperium space or near Eye of Terror?
>>
>>334452
If they're a dark angel successor wouldn't they also have an emphasis on Terminators with the Deathwing?
Also Terminator teleporter ambush can also be a thing.
>>
File: SegGalacticPic.jpg (49 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
SegGalacticPic.jpg
49 KB, 300x300
>>334503
>North obscurus, uncharted space. Rogue Traders and their shenanigans. Xenos and heresy abound.
>West obscurus, Bordering Segmentum Pacificus lots of rebel and cultist activity there. Also where Lions Defiant are. Edge of imperium space as well is pretty close, so rogue traders are a possibility.
>South of Obscurus, Segmentum Solar. The Heart of the Imperium. This is where all the good shit is made.
>East of Obscurus, Ultima segmentum. This is where the Ultramarines have their empire. Said segmentum is the only place where the Tau should exist outside of Deviant Rogue Trader's harems.
>Centre of the Obscurus. Eye of terror. Also around there is where The Rock is, which is where the origin chapter is.

If I had to guess, We're probably somewhere at this area or in the Segmentum pacificus with the Lions defiant.
>>
>>334564
My only reasoning for that is because Lions Defiant are in the Segmentum pacificus and they've got a similiar name.
>>
>>334564
Oh, almost forgot, Segmentum Obscurus is probably the place with most Eldar Warpgates, since the Eye of Terror is located where their empire was.
>>
>>334505

This is true. The Lions definitely have access to Terminator armor, I can imagine them using Terminator deepstrikers to really put the hurt on enemy forces.

>>334564

Not a bad guess, but we're directly adjacent to the Badab Sector, which has only just finished the Badab War, which puts us right in the very central portion of Ultima Segmentum. The entire local area is just starting to put the pieces back together, and even though the Astral Claws have been defeated, there's already rumors of piracy on previously stable shipping lanes, and that kind of thing.
>>
Is there an archive for this?
>>
>>338545

Doesn't look like it yet, know when we're next running at all?
>>
>>338545
Thread: 1
http://archived.moe/qst/thread/265146/
Thread: 2
http://archived.moe/qst/thread/279473/
Thread: 3
http://archived.moe/qst/thread/295685/
Thread: 4
http://archived.moe/qst/thread/311379/
>>
>>339251
>>338545

I'll link the archives next thread with updated character pastebin.

>>339184

Probably Thursday night 8pm EST, but I'll update via the twitter as well, @hornedlionque1
>>
What exactly is the chapter's colour scheme like by the way?
>>
Get hype, time to get fucked up by our next implant, you other anons praising Kek have doomed us all
>>
>>339380

Bad news battlebrothers, I'm going to have to cancel for tonight. I haven't had the time to prepare for the next set of adventures and I'd prefer to do things properly.

Sunday night is guaranteed though, see you then!
>>
Do Marines take up new names as they ascend to Astartes or do they keep their old names?
>>
>>345317

New thread tomorrow at 5pm EST
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.