[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there so many generals on /a/ and why is it a problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1451173644267.gif (407 KB, 535x480) Image search: [Google]
1451173644267.gif
407 KB, 535x480
Why is there so many generals on /a/ and why is it a problem
>>
>>534284
Cancerous newfags need something similar to reddit or they feel scared being on 4chan.
>>
>>534286
Aren't gens something different from leddit and possibly people want to discuss current shows
>>
To keep a complex issue simple, generals do not really foster variety in discussion and act as little clubhouses that coop up users from engaging with the rest of the board.

Problem is as long as they're actually on-topic and have new material coming out it's hard to figure out a rationalized/rule-abiding way to get them to stop that isn't a slippery slope. Well, personally I think putting bump limit down to 300 (or less) is a start because they at least have a faster turnover time thus more chances for topics to change. Having 500-post bumping both allows generals to stagnate longer and errant really shit threads to stink up the board longer too. However it also gives shorter lifespan to threads that by chance were great so whatever, quid pro quo.
>>
>>534284
gens are a symptom of cross-siters being unable to get used to the non-continuous discussion format of 4chan where threads can end rapidly instead of continuing forever
>>
moot should have banned them years ago. Instead he chose to make things worse by indirectly endorsing them by creating /vg/.
>>
hey man I just want a bit of circlejerk and a self-moderated/anti-shitpost place. It can be a good micro community, that's something entire boards lost with the past of the years.
>>
test
>>
>>534295
They're rarely on topic. Most of them are just circlejerking and blog posting with specific anime reaction images.
>>
Generals became a thing due to the speed of the site, and 4chan never took the appropriate actions to right its course.

The solution to the generals problem would be to simply have a "board watcher" and for the mods to be less anal.

People like to use generals because the boards are so fast you can just go to the particular discussions you like and stay there. When they die usually someone posts a nice little convenient link to the new thread.
All of this allows people to avoid the headache of constantly looking through threads on a really fast board to find content you want. That's why their popular.

Give us a "board watcher" to where you only see each new thread _once_ and either join it or don't. This would avoid the headaches mentioned above and everyone would be more open to a larger variety of threads.

Sadly, although it might be possible to get them to build the feature, it's probably not possible for the mods to take it easy, so it might not work anyway.
>>
Because if you make a non general thread, one poster can completely de-rail it and shitpost it into oblivion.

I notice with generals, shitposters have their posts deleted and tired bait is usually ignored because everyone recognizes it by now.
>>
>>534626
True on /a/, not true on /vg/.
>>
>>534284
It's a problem because people aren't talking about what I want them to or not even memeing around, obviously.
Given how you can easily consider any thread focused on any show a "general", it's obvious that trying to ban them will completely kill anime discussion on /a/, especially given how we don't have a single mod on board who knows enough about anime. All this general hate feels just like crossboarders trying to destroy /a/.
>>534295
>putting bump limit down to 300
Congratulations, you now have even more threads you consider to be generals being made.
>>
>>534284
Mods put all of their attention on babysitting generals instead of moderating the board.
If you shitpost in a general it's deleted within 30 seconds.
If you make a shitpost thread it's up for at least 30 minutes.
>>
>>534933
That's just another confirmation of what I was saying here >>534487
Even the mods don't want to deal with mucking through the mess of threads all the time. Everyone just wants to sit in their generals because it's easier.

Make a "board watcher" and you solve all that.
>>
>>534933
It's funny how just a while ago I saw someone talking about how mods never bother moderating generals.
And what are you talking about? Everyone would rather stay in the threads for the shows they're watching than going out to the front page of the board to look for something else to do. That's fucking obvious.
>>
>>534933
Users in general threads (the ones that weren't entirely shitposting to begin with) mass report shitty posts in their threads, whereas people often leave shitty threads alone to die quiet and unremarkable deaths.

I suspect this is both because of the users and the format; users of general threads are fairly protective of their threads, and a completely worthless shit thread will drop to page 4 in minutes whereas a shitpost in a general thread gets seen by every single person in the thread.
>>
>>534933
>Mods put all of their attention on babysitting generals instead of moderating the board.
Correct yourself. Mods don't moderate generals, they have no need to. There is zero reason to moderate generals. It's why retard mods are forcing them. Normally to mod a board you have to actually use it, appreciate it, like it and be apart of its community. Generals and general boards don't need this. Everything is basically free-game in the worst way possible and mods only show up to dick-wave. The only other reason things get deleted in generals is because generalfags are literal babies who get upset incredibly fast and claim everything they don't like as shitposting and mass reporting everything.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.