[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello. Can we have sage back on /jp/? There was no reason to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_1973.jpg (37 KB, 213x195) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1973.jpg
37 KB, 213x195
Hello. Can we have sage back on /jp/? There was no reason to remove it. The board has been using it for several years in its intended way (when posting something not worthy of bumping the thread). We got a core part of our culture removed just because other boards didn't know how to behave themselves and sage bombed threads. I know sage is technically still around but of course what I mean is that it would be nice to see it being visible on /jp/ again. You already added sjis to the board anyway
>>
Doesn't making sage visible go against the point of sage itself? You're meant to use it to not bump threads because a post doesn't warrant a bump, so isn't it counter intuitive that a feature meant to be inconspicuous and not draw attention be visible?
>>
>>338474

Sage was always visible. Even on Futaba and 2ch. Otherwise I agree with you, whether or not it's visible doesn't matter. And OP is a faggot for considering something as simple as whether or not sage is visible "part of the culture".

OP, you're on a discussion board, not a tribal group in the jungle. You have no fucking culture. And sage being invisible doesn't take away its function. If something that petty is part of your culture then take a long hard look at it and decide whether or not it's even a culture worth keeping.
>>
>>338481
>OP, you're on a discussion board, not a tribal group in the jungle. You have no fucking culture.
You don't seem to understand the concept of culture. Every board has its own culture, even if this culture breaches the rules. This goes for any sort of social group, no matter how simplistic it is. You're stuck in a false dichotomy of "real" and "virtual".
>And sage being invisible doesn't take away its function.
Reread my post, I'm perfectly aware of this.
> If something that petty is part of your culture then take a long hard look at it and decide whether or not it's even a culture worth keeping.
Who are you exactly to decide what is petty and what isn't? /jp/'s proper usage of sage has been one of its landmarks throughout the year. There was even a pasta that circulated and utilized when people improperly tried to sagebomb threads. The only reason why sage was removed was because other boards were too stupid to understand how it worked.
>>338474
>so isn't it counter intuitive that a feature meant to be inconspicuous and not draw attention be visible?
Not necessarily. Your post doesn't draw any attention when it's among the myriad of posts using sage. IIRC 30% of /jp/' posts were composed of sage back when it was still visible. You just visibly show that your post isn't really worth bumping the thread, and as everyone back then was used to posts using sage, no one really thought of it as contradictory. In fact, it makes sense to me to think that sage being visible actually draws people to use sage more often as people may call you out if you bump your thread for stupid reasons.
>>
>>338498
*the years
>>
>>338498
>Every board has its own culture, even if this culture breaches the rules.

Which is dumb. And what newfags started when they arrived. This "m-m-muh board culture" stuff is just newfags trying to fit in. There is no board culture. If anything there'd be a general 4chan culture. moot even said as much in his farewell Q&A.

>Who are you exactly to decide what is petty and what isn't?
The fact that this is the very definition of petty. Bawwww, I can't see sage! IF I CAN'T SEE IT THIS IS A PROBLEM BECAUSE MY CULTURE DEPENDS ON SEEING THAT IT IS INDEED SAGED!"

>/jp/'s proper usage of sage has been one of its landmarks throughout the year.

Really? That's the big achievement you guys have? Being able to see and properly use sage? Then burn down the board because clearly there's nothing of value there if that's your big hallmark moment.

>The only reason why sage was removed was because other boards were too stupid to understand how it worked.

People can still abuse sage. The function's still there and there's nothing stopping people from doing it. The FAQ even still mentions it as a feature. Not being able to see it doesn't stop anything.
>>
>>338530
>>338530
>>People can still abuse sage. The function's still there and there's nothing stopping people from doing it. The FAQ even still mentions it as a feature. Not being able to see it doesn't stop anything.

Refer to this anon

>In fact, it makes sense to me to think that sage being visible actually draws people to use sage more often as people may call you out if you bump your thread for stupid reasons.

Since visible sage has been removed, people use it less and less. Having it visible encourages people to use it. Removing visible sage because a bunch of newfags didn't understand its usage was one of moot most retarded decisions
>>
>>338498
So what you're saying is that sage being visible clues in other users that sage is appropriate for the thread or conversation, meaning 1) you don't have scenarios where you're using sage and the person you're talking to isn't, making your attempts at politeness irrelevant and 2) you actually make the action of bumping a thread a visible faux pas if everyone else is using sage and then someone barges in and bumps.

Yeah, I could see that, I retract what I said earlier.
>>
>>338538
>Since visible sage has been removed, people use it less and less. Having it visible encourages people to use it. Removing visible sage because a bunch of newfags didn't understand its usage was one of moot most retarded decisions

Look at places like Futaba and 2ch. Almost nobody sages anyway. It's only a useful function on a slow site to begin with, not one like 4chan that gets tons of posts per minute.

And having it visible doesn't encourage people to use it. Anyone who cares that much would have read the FAQ and know when to use it anyway and what it's for. It wasn't removed because people didn't know how to use it. People can still sagebomb and do everything they wanted to do anyway. It was just a nearly pointless feature on a site as fast and large as 4chan.
>>
>>338554
>Look at places like Futaba and 2ch. Almost nobody sages anyway.
This isn't Futaba or 2ch, sage was very commonly used here.

>It's only a useful function on a slow site to begin with, not one like 4chan that gets tons of posts per minute.
The only boards that its useless on are the ones where threads hit the bump limit within 30 minutes. Boards like /a/ /jp/ and the like are still perfect for its usage and its still actively used in these places

>And having it visible doesn't encourage people to use i
This anon sums it up nicely
>>338542

>It wasn't removed because people didn't know how to use it
No, that was the reason. People on the popular and traffic heavy boards would use it as a downvote rather then something to not bump the thread. Because of the big boards, everyone else got punished
>>
>>338571
>This isn't Futaba or 2ch, sage was very commonly used here.

Sage comes from those sites. They invented it, retard. I think they know more about its function and use than some NEET fag crying that his board culture is ruined over sage being invisible.

>The only boards that its useless on are the ones where threads hit the bump limit within 30 minutes. Boards like /a/ /jp/ and the like are still perfect for its usage and its still actively used in these places

It's still actively used there? Then your concerns are unnecessary. Boards you go on apparently still use it correctly. It being visible or not doesn't change that. Guess that solves that problem.

>No, that was the reason.

Except it wasn't why sage got removed. People can still abuse it by sagebombing. So, it's not like the function got taken out due to abuse. And people were free to sage or not sage whenever they wanted, so people saging correctly or incorrectly is hard to tell and not even a big deal. If they're using it incorrectly and going "saged!", it's not a post worth bumping anyway and is actually using sage correctly without even trying to do so.

So why don't you take your NEETfag newfag ass on outta here and get back to your weeb shit and stop crying about this?
>>
>>338599
Take it easy, anon.
>>
Sage was never removed.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.