[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do companies actually viral market their shit here or is that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: 1409008696388.png (13 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1409008696388.png
13 KB, 500x500
Do companies actually viral market their shit here or is that just /pol/ retards being paranoid
>>
We don't have evidence for neither side of the argument, but why wouldn't they? They can reach a very large audience and give themselves visibility with low effort, and most importantly trigger viral phenomena easily enough. If I were the marketing planner of some company which sells stuff somewhat related to the topics of a big board here, I'd include 4chan in the viral marketing targets
>>
>>338171

Not going to lie, but back in my shitposting days I would pretend to be a marketer by making positive/hype threads on /v/ for a game. Also making posts defending a game and "accidentally" throwing in a "we" or "our" to make people take the bait.

One thing about basically any internet community is that people will always cease upon a "gotch-ya" moment.

As >>338186 said, we don't have any conclusive evidence. Although, I don't think we do except for some smaller game devs/youtubers/bloggers. 4chan isn't really known for having a userbase with a lot of disposable income so I doubt major companies waste resources here.

Always remember - something is more likely to be trolling than some sort of subversive infiltration.
>>
>>338171
It's not JUST /pol/ retards being paranoid, it's also /v/, /tv/, and /g/ retards being paranoid.
>>
>>338171
Maybe on Reddit.
>>
>>338171
Yes.
>>
Of course they do. Why wouldn't they?
>>
>>338281
found a marketing shill.
>>
>>338651
Low income userbase, hostile to any form of positive marketing (though it can be useful for attacking competition, but there are better ways too), absolutely contrarian, hard to shill in (the ammount of effort required to be able to succesfully market shit here without generating backlash is pretty big compared to other online communities), it's not seen as the center of the online community except for /a/ in the anime fandom, and that's stretching it too.
At the end of the day, the ammount of return you'd get for your investemnt would be minimal.
I know you are stupid, you browse /v/, but a good rule of thumb is: would this cost money? Would anyone but an autist with lots of free time do this for free? If you answer yes to one of this, then it's a shitposter pretending to rile retards up, or it's just someone actually enjoying something.
The only active shilling on this site can come from retards pushing their own niche stuff, which passes the test of both a) being free, b) being an autist with free time (which hell they are, if they trake to make money out of 4chan.
>>
>>338664
>10 cents has been deposited into your account
>>
>>338664
All offset by one word.

> Free.

Never underestimate the depths a maketfag will sink to to move some units.
>>
>>338171
Breitbart and Daily Mail do. So have certain podcasters like Gavin McInnis in the past. /pol/ usually recognizes their tactics and scares them off and the threads usually die quickly and naturally. Whether they are looking for pageviews or people to spread links elsewhere is a matter of debate.

As for other boards, I'd say /tv/ gets far more marketing done on it than /pol/ does.
>>
>>338664
>Low income userbase
An absolute lie.
>>
>>338669
Counter any of my arguments if you can, child.

>>338670
You'd make more money off reddit, which does have confirmed cases of shilling.
It's more moderated, less toxic and easire to blend into, neogaf too.
>>
>>338674
No, it's either underaged or NEETs. The rest are still true too, you can't make positive marketing here.
>>
>>338675
>10 cents has been deposited into your account
>>
>>338664
>Low income userbase
False
>hostile to any form of positive marketing
Marketing doesn't mean advertising, even letting people know about the product and subtly steer the "hivemind" towards liking it is more than enough
>hard to shill in
That's why we had no stop toddposting on /v/, right?
>'s not seen as the center of the online community
Traffic is high and 4chan is still a pretty big influence on the internet
>>
File: Vivian James.jpg (148 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Vivian James.jpg
148 KB, 800x800
>>338211
>>338664
People are so stupid this days...

At one hand, there are boards that prove 4chan users have much more money than what you give credit for. If you browse regularly boards like /toy/, you would know this.

At the other hand, plenty of times, "cheap hobby" boards, like /tg/ have gathered to raise money for some specific cause, and managed to get quite important money. Browse "busty barbarian bimbo", or just remember the story behind pic related.

Finally, disregarding discrete shilling, we have people who come to advertise their products. Have you seen one of those "celebrity sex tape leaked!" threads? There was a reason for moot to ban stream channel threads, and why for a while the report form had an option to denounce post for advertising.

There's much money on 4chan than you can imagine, and thinking only neets browse here is a myth.
>>
We don't know.

There were people like Andromeda who acted like and claimed to be marketers, but this is the same website with gorespammer, Slugfucker and Akagi. People will go to psychotic lengths to troll others.
>>
File: andromeda_2_electric_boogaloo.png (120 KB, 1616x988) Image search: [Google]
andromeda_2_electric_boogaloo.png
120 KB, 1616x988
>>338870

Andromeda confirmed it was just fucking trolling.
>>
>>338939
>TORtanic
>cancer
Why do I have the feeling he was rehired as of this post?
>>
>>338863
Vivian James is the absolute cutest of cutes
>>
No, the majority of boards here don't have a millionth of the traffic of Facebook and ribbit. Advertising anything except onaholes here is a waste of money.
The shill accusations start flying whenever /pol/câˆȘcks and ni/g/gers are getting BTFO by facts that threaten their fragile worldview. It's their last line of "defence".
>>
>>339513
You are incredibly short sighted.
>>
File: 1352235595187.png (99 KB, 386x291) Image search: [Google]
1352235595187.png
99 KB, 386x291
Mostly retarded users posting what they think is good.
>>
>>339513
Nobody is viral marketing on /pol/, obviously, but there is a 100% chance there are marketers posting on boards like /g/, /v/, /diy/. 4chan is one of the few sites were young rich males congregate to discuss products, you'd be a fool to think nobody is using product-related boards to push their products.
>>
>>339922
>young rich males congregate to discuss products
You are insanely deluded. I've personally lost count of how many times I've either pretended to be a shill, or cried shill because I got bored of a discussion, it's a copout, nothing more.
>>
>>339926
>You are insanely deluded
I don't think you understand how marketing works. 4chan is a huge site, full of young males with money. People promote products on this site, of course. Are you aware that there is a whole genre of marketing company that pays people to go to social events and talk up various products? Of course there are marketers who post on a site as big and product-orientated as 4chan.
>>
File: milo2.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
milo2.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
>>339922
>Nobody is viral marketing on /pol/,
Confirmed for never been to /pol/.
>>
>>339956
He looks like such a tool.
>>
File: download.jpg (16 KB, 192x258) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
16 KB, 192x258
>>338675
> its easier to blend into a site that has usernames, shadowbans, and all sorts of other fuckery, than it is to blend into a website who's only gatekeeper is a captcha.

Wow.
>>
>>339956
If you count that Milo faggot shilling his breitbart clickbait, then I suppose you are right.
>>
>>340056
He shills for himself more than he shills for his employer.

But speaking of his employer, Ben Shapiro threads are just as bad.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.