[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the meaning of this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: w.png (10 KB, 791x273) Image search: [Google]
w.png
10 KB, 791x273
What is the meaning of this?
>>
>>479157
You probably tried to post an old image from back when embedded rars and the like werent banned

Try and drag it into winrar/7zip and see what pops out

[spoiler]unless it's a picture of a sink. Delete those posthaste unless you like your pizza extra cheesy [/spoiler]
>>
>>479157

Anon-talk (and I'm not sure if other sites were involved) launched multiple spam attacks on 4chan using .js images as well as other images. The posts often said "open in notepad and shit brix" or something to that effect. Anons, being the retarded kids they are, actually did it en masse which made their computers further spam the images fucking up /b/ then the other boards.

After it was cleared up another attack would come and the retards kept falling for it hence the banning of many types of images/extensions.

I must admit I kind of miss the spam. It cleared out newfags really fucking quickly.
>>
>>479166
sounds like we should bring that file type back
>>
>>479166

Let's convince Hiroshima to do it, we know he listens to /qa/
>>
Moot hated embedded files in images.

There was some justification- spambots used to encourage extension editing to turn images into activated programs, and dumbasses would in turn feed the botnet spamming the site.

There were also those infamous threads where people would post seemingly innocuous images with fucked up shit wrapped within.

I get why it had to be done, but I sure as shit miss 4chan sounds. Now that we have proof of concept for webms with sound, we should re-enable those to fill the void.
>>
File: cornelia.webm (23 KB, 434x233) Image search: [Google]
cornelia.webm
23 KB, 434x233
>>479638
>>479638
>>479651
Cornelia images still work, actually.

It's why we have captcha. Moot never actually fixed the source of the problem, he just made it impossible to self-replicate.

There's even an extension to automatically find and upload Cornelia embeds. Haven't used it in years (or at all really), but it's a thing that exists.
>>
>>479761
Captcha was to cut on the worst of the spambot offenses, though. It did nothing to deal with the reasons we have the "illegal content" report option, which was also a major concern.
>>
>>479768
The worst of the spam being the Cornelia/4chan.hta thing.
You don't really think he did it because of the surgeon...etc, do you?

Anyway, it's piss easy to get past the embeded file detector. If GR 17 weren't a thing now I could show some examples.
>>
>>479790
Teach me, senpai. I only know the WinRAR method.
>>
File: 1401348985246.png (81 KB, 320x321) Image search: [Google]
1401348985246.png
81 KB, 320x321
>>480065
There's really no point anymore.

If you do Cornelia/gold/snowcrash, it's too obvious and ruins the point. See pic related (contains a .txt of the RMS rant)
If you do steganography/byte flipping, it's too hard to decode and ruins the point.

And why even bother if you aren't up to no good?

DISCLAIMER: This image is purely for educational purposes, and should be considered an acceptable breech of GR 17 under the Fair Meme Act
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.