[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any real way to prove you're an oldfag? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 17
File: 1449142289594.jpg (6 KB, 228x251) Image search: [Google]
1449142289594.jpg
6 KB, 228x251
Is there any real way to prove you're an oldfag? I'm convinced most "oldfags" are just newfags trying to look cool, and that there really aren't any actual oldfags.
They all seem to act like no oldfag would ever posted with emoticons, lols, omgs, ellipses, or non-board related images, when that's completely untrue. It's like the roles between oldfags and newfags have been completely reversed since 4chan got a sizable population.
>>
>>473002
yeah, you don't give a shit about it and when people ask you what happened on the site at any point then you tell them best to your knowledge, unless you got shitty memory like myself and despite being here for years I remember almost nothing
>>
Comparing how people act now to how they acted back then is stupid. The people who have stuck around all these years are not going to behave the same way they did 10 years ago. They aged with the site, probably grew more jaded. In the past nobody really took this place seriously or took themselves seriously, but that's changed. Shit that was normal in 2006 would get you banned now, because people would think you're shitposting. Hell, even the concept of "shitposting" didn't exist in 2006. You were either a troll or you weren't. I think all you need to do to show how much 4chan is changed is look at how almost nobody uses the word "troll" anymore to describe anything on this site, when 10 years ago "trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls" was the standard description of /b/.
>>
Caring about when someone came to the site is pretty stupid. You should be evaluated by what you add, not how long you've been here.
>>
>>473002
Just a rule of thumb, probably 95% of the people who would say "I'm an oldfag" followed by some fucking diatribe are almost certainly not oldfags. For some reason people think something like that should mean something on a completely anonymous (unless you're a real special kind of faggot) image board.
>>
"Being able to triforce" used to be a proof that you were an oldfag, but that's not even a meme anymore so I guess not.
>>
I feel like someone who constantly calls people newfags over the smallest things is obviously a newfag. Just let this place be fun and don't worry about other's posting style for once.
>>
File: 1458548008962.png (841 KB, 582x795) Image search: [Google]
1458548008962.png
841 KB, 582x795
>>473168
>Just let this place be fun and don't worry about other's posting style for once.
i've often found this to be an excuse to shitpost and try to get memepoints. Do you find pic related funny? This is the last pol / reddit meme.
>>
>>473002
>Is there any real way to prove you're an oldfag?
Anyone who actually attempts to do this is 100% fucking new. No exceptions.
>>
File: 1449008113958.png (128 KB, 1954x1783) Image search: [Google]
1449008113958.png
128 KB, 1954x1783
>>473177
i'm an oldfag. check out this old meme.
>>
only oldfags can tell who is another oldfag. it is our gift, it is our curse.
>>
File: 1231868528024.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1231868528024.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
>>473184
am i an oldfag?
>>
>>473193
Filenames this old is often a good pointer to oldfaggotry.
Easily forged, but still. I wish I hadn't deleted my earliest 4chan folders, for both nostalgia and e-peen.
>>
>>473194
But that filename only leads back to what, 3-4 years ago?
>>
File: 1431868528024.jpg (26 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1431868528024.jpg
26 KB, 250x250
>>473194
>>473195
I just replaced the 4 to a 2 to trick you into thinking i was an old fag
i actually joined one year and two months ago
trolled you fucking faggots
>>
>>473196
FUCK
>>
>>473195
More like 2008 or so, 8 years ago

>>473196
The costanza meme was popular in 2011, which is newer than the timestamp, making the fake timestamp easier to spot.

Never trust /qa/
>>
>I'm convinced most oldfags are newfags trying to be cool
You pretty much hit the nail on the head there
>>
>>473194
Filenames are easy to change and it could be a file from a newer or slower board
>>
File: 1164636803970.jpg (248 KB, 800x1189) Image search: [Google]
1164636803970.jpg
248 KB, 800x1189
I don't know why anybody really cares if someone is an oldfag or not. Oldfag opinions are only good for remembering things and that's only if there are groups of them to corroborate each other. Ultimately there is no way to truly know you're talking to an oldfag because the only way they have to prove it is by posting memes or sayings from old 4chan that aren't on KYM or ED and that nobody else would recognize, especially newfags.
>>
>>473358
Yes it's easy (as I even said in the post too) and no:
Image files are all stored on the same server (i.4cdn.org), they count across the entire site.
>>
>>473251
>More like 2008 or so, 8 years ago

Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:42:08 GMT
>>
If you want to prove you're an oldfag, you're not an oldfag.
>>
>>473407
...especially if you are bragging about being an oldfag while calling others newfags.
>>
>>473102
>Shit that was normal in 2006 would get you banned now, because people would think you're shitposting
;_; I want the fun back
>>
>>473102
It's just vocab replacement in the case of trolling. Bait is functionally the new obvious troll is obvious.
But yeah, I mostly agree, especially on the fact that 4chan has turned into srs bsns.
>>
>zip.4chan.org
>>
File: 1451594959848.jpg (28 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1451594959848.jpg
28 KB, 720x720
>>473416
This rose-tinten nostalgia shit is also bad for the health of the site.
Go out there and have fun faggot, nothing's stopping you. 4chan is still the best website on the internet, don't let the changes fool you, don't let the shitposting fool you, don't let the vocal minority fool you. Go to your favorite boards and dig through the piles of shit and find the gold, just like you had to back then too. Sure not everything is new and fresh like back then, but goddamn if there isn't still some fantastic stuff around.
>>
Only tripfags can prove it. Anonymous oldfags can't.
>>
File: old_rapper.jpg (95 KB, 283x424) Image search: [Google]
old_rapper.jpg
95 KB, 283x424
>>473002
>Is there any real way to prove you're an oldfag?

Probably not.

For what it’s worth, I’m a 48 year old Usenet refugee and have been a regular on 4chan since 2010, (some point after the finale of “Lost”) after seeing a few references to it on Fark (who are a bunch of pussies).
>>
It's nothing to be proud of. Oldfags are shitposters, they're not interested in serious discussions. They're a burden for the site.

Just look at this guy: >>473102 Oldfag and shitposter.
>>
File: 235909-tradewars-2002[1].jpg (153 KB, 630x500) Image search: [Google]
235909-tradewars-2002[1].jpg
153 KB, 630x500
>>473580
Fellow elderfag here. Don't you love it when the 20 year olds call you a 14 year old? I know I do.
>>
>>473179
And nowadays posting coolface will get you accused of being from Reddit

at this point I think Pepe is the only meme still around from when I first started coming here, and that's mutated so much it's barely even recognizable
>>
>>473717
Is Pepe really that old of a thing?
>>
File: image.png (133 KB, 354x363) Image search: [Google]
image.png
133 KB, 354x363
>>473738
Pepe has been around 4chan since at least 2008.
>>
>>473717
Makes me think, do we even have any 4chan-specific memes that haven't gone viral and that are still being used?
I guess costanza, though I don't know whether it's being used outside of 4chan.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 600x600
>>473002
>no oldfag would ever posted with emoticons, lols, omgs, ellipses, or non-board related images

I started lurking in late 2007, and fucking everybody used emoticon, XDs, cellphone abbreviations and so on. Rage faces were starting to get viral.
Other than that, no. I don't think there's actually a way to tell if someone is really an oldfag.

But when I was a newfag we fucking admired oldfags, now you only get hate by saying you aren't new (as you get hate by saying you are new), so what's the point?

Still, this place is literally nothing like a decade ago; it changed so many times, it dies so many times.
It's now a rotten corpse and it makes me pretty sad.

I mean I'm sure most of the people out there don't even know who Snacks is, old memes are now forgotten (let's be honest, who the fuck does remember shit like Sageman and Bumpgirl?), old camwhores are probably married or dead right now, even the sacred stuff (like worshipping cats and hating Something Awful or Funnyjunk) are pretty much dead. Tons of content and memories, completely forgotten in the wind.
We probably lost more data hare in a decade than the Library of Alexandria after it burned down.

That said, today's 4chan is as much as similar to the old chan as Reddit. And it's not even an insult you fucking candyasses, shit didn't even exist back then

I think I got it anon: you can get how chan-old someone is by checking what they really hate. Only newfriends actually, deeply hate the most popular boogeyman of the moment.
People just hated other stuff 5-7 years ago, they aren't likely to hate with passion another fake enemy after seeing the irrelevance of so many internet wars (mostly fought in our own heads).
This is always valid.
>>
>>473917
Fuck off with that Snacks-worship, it's the same thing with swaglord now.
Mod-worship is stupid and cancerous. It sickens me. To hell with them and their attention-whoring.
>>
>>473917
What OP said was newfags automatically think you're a newfag if you did those things, which were never actually a problem back then.
>>
>>473927
You fucking know it's not the same thing. Also he got most of the love after he left.
>>
>>473917
Fucking Funnyjunk used to be a really great place. Even that became absolute shit when Goobergate hit though. And Addy never stops begging for money.
>>
>>473930
It's the same thing. Mods shouldn't be worshipped.
>>
>>473934
People that talk about how great Kinomod is fucking suck. Especially the ones that call you a newfag for calling him shit.
I do feel like Snacks was different though. He could be pretty funny sometimes and didn't take no shit. He's a big part of 4chan history.
>>
>>473935
I've read that he used to ban people randomly, what's so great about that?

>He's a big part of 4chan history
He was a mod for only like two years.

Snacks was an attention-whore just like all mods that are not anonymous. Just like all tripfags.

Only the admin can be an attention whore and get away with it.
>>
>>473937
Attentionwhoring really wasn't much of a big deal back then. Sure, we hated tripfags, but a lot of threads about the OP doing something were a fun sight. Like that one person on /a/ just recently who was doing Vocaroos. Back then, that would have been a fun thread making stupid anime noises and posting it. Now it just has people screaming about how it's off-topic.
>>
>>473941
>>473937
And I trailed off my original intention. Oops. What I'm saying is "attentionwhoring" isn't always a bad thing. Only when they're doing it to shitpost or something like that.
>>
File: image.png (117 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
image.png
117 KB, 500x312
>>473937
Anon, Snacks has been the second face of 4chan after moot during these times.
I think that other anon is right, he's pretty important to 4chan history.
>>
>>473947
>second face of 4chan after moot
What are you talking about, a flash video and some banners made 10 years ago?

I don't think he's important. Two years, that's nothing. He was nothing and should not be remembered. What's so good about him? Explain that.
>>
>>473955
There really is no other person more known on 4chan (other than moot) thank Snacks. It was an eventful 2 years he was here. Although, it felt a lot longer than 2 years.
>>
Is modern 4chan really the old one with a diffefent coat of paint? Not trying to be some nostalgia faglord, but I must say that it sure has lost its 'chan' feeling since ages.
>>
I'm new from about 2010, but to me it feels like people are less jokingly acting like assholes, and now try to be genuine assholes. Also, people pretending to be retarded act differently from people who actually are retarded. The website became less intelligent in some aspects, and also became less nice. At least that's what I think.
>>
File: 1256092635227.jpg (318 KB, 500x617) Image search: [Google]
1256092635227.jpg
318 KB, 500x617
>>473369
>implying I can remember memes from that far back
Literally the only memes I can think of from when I first started using imageboards are those that are still being used (or stopped getting used recently). All I have is images, and I don't even have any of those for the first year and a half because I lost them all when 15 year old Reggie had to wipe his only HDD to reinstall XP back in the day.
>>473932
>Fucking Funnyjunk used to be a really great place. Even that became absolute shit when Goobergate hit though
lol
>>473717
>posting le tricksy meme face of 9gag
please senpai
>>
>>475122

a lot of assholes now think this is their personal sandbox and don't give a shit about the other users. I blame the collapse of /b/, it used to hold in so many of the underages and keep them out of the good boards.
>>
File: why.jpg (43 KB, 617x627) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
43 KB, 617x627
>>473002
No, and pretending to be cool because of it makes you a certified autist.
>>
>>475127
I would choose her breasts, not because of any particular affinity for them but because I want to feel the warmth of Ran's embrace.
>>
>>474532
swaglord has surpassed Snacks.

Honestly, you people only bring up Snacks to get oldfag-cred. There's no other reason.
>>
>>475334
I'd bring up Shii more often but he was/is a degenerate.
>>
>>473002
Here's the real way: You have to show your YTMND account from years ago. I have a YTMND account from 2005 so you know I'm an oldfag. Though I don't want to link it because I don't care about proving it and it's kind of embarrassing.

But yeah, that's how you do it.
>>
File: 1180347504495.jpg (24 KB, 207x225) Image search: [Google]
1180347504495.jpg
24 KB, 207x225
>>475127
>are those that are still being used (or stopped getting used recently)
Oh come now, Reg, you know dead memes are a dime a dozen. I think I know what you mean though; It's hard to think of the really banal ones from a decade ago.
>>
All pre-pepe memes (2008) are dead.
>>
>>475334
Isn't swaglord just kind of a /tv/ thing? I hear of troid a lot more than him nowadats.
>>
>>475355
He is found most often on [s4s] but all mods are global.
>>
>>475361
Yeah, I know mods are global, but I've only ever really seen people talk about him on /tv/. [s4s] is for fags.
>>
>>475362
His antics are understated on /pol/.
>>
>>475355
>>475361
>>475334

hahah dudes im just all bout dat meme lief :^)
>>
I guess we could quote little known happenings from that time to show we're oldfags, but why waste our time? Does anyone really care if anyone's an oldfag? It's not really a title of distinction to remember Regina's dad and the Hal Turner prank calls...that nobody will remember but those old posters.
>>
File: 1421353116509.jpg (1 MB, 992x1371) Image search: [Google]
1421353116509.jpg
1 MB, 992x1371
>>475328
If I could only hug one or the other I would probably go with her tails, won't have many opportunities to hug a big ball of fluffy tails otherwise. Easily the most huggable 2hu desu.
>>
I think the only sure way to prove it would be dumping pictures you saved many years ago. You know how 4chan creates a hash number for each image? You could look at the filename and see what the hash is. It's not a guaranteed way to prove you're an oldfag, but it's pretty good evidence if someone has a ton of images that start with "11" in the filename.

To the people arguing about how people act on this site:

How someone acts is in no way a good indicator of their "4chan age". Some people, sure, could become 'jaded'. Others could do the opposite and become full-fledged shitposters and act silly with emoticons and etc- basically acting like huge newfags.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
>>
>>473002
receive an email from an address like @lurkmore.com and you have proof the person is an oldfag.
>>
>>475368
>that font rendering
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.