[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Occasional reminder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: .png (660 KB, 1106x1012) Image search: [Google]
.png
660 KB, 1106x1012
I'm afraid that many people have no idea what a meme is and misuse it constantly. Here is the proper definition.

mēm

A meme is an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.

Example:
>a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc. that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.
Origin

1970s: from Greek mimēma ‘that which is imitated,’ on the pattern of gene .

Reddit is not a meme
I am not a meme
Things you don't like are not memes
Calling something a meme is not an insult

Thanks for reading I hope this clears things up for you.
>>
>>458925
No, meme is just the thoughtform version of the word "thing" which means "Any idea, concept, thought, that I can't think of a better word for."

Examples include:

philosophy/quarantine/sound/isolation/apocalypse/faith/opportunity/crime/
subconscious/idealist/stubbornness/adolescence/domination/paradise/light/
perjury/prisoner/affair/unity/innocence/jealousy/mischief/parvenu/music/
decadence/stranger/irony/madness/strife/disaster/language deadlock/ignorance/
alcohol/economy/motivation/memory/principle/judgment/individual/privilege/
malevolence/affection/disappointment/skull/indignation/privacy/spoil/nature/
misdemeanor/art/irritation/echo/inspiration/life/metaphor/encouragement/genius/
scandal/intervention/dream/obscenity/poet/eclipse/medium/pursuit/compromise/
obsession/rock/beauty/anesthesia/hope/moaner/peace/destruction/solitude/moment/
message/necessity/planet/brain/revelation/money/construction/fame/
soul/misery/envy/fountain/imitation/time/backlash/history/factor/provocation/
enlightenment/muse/disease/perspiration/purity/confusion/drive/expectation/
universe/god/annoyance/despair/flower/wealth/depression/hate/quarrel/
rejection/experience/permission/virtue/supreme/assertion/guilt/winderness/
victim/propaganda/rapture/distraction/sex/reflex/suicide/anthem/restraint/
fanaticism/superstition/dignity/egotism/mask/degeneration/era/star/machine/
dynamism/reality/underdog/love/death/
>>
>>458930
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObEhxvPhyI
>>
This is important
>>
>>458925
Smart frogposter
>>
>>460821
Cute Squiglyposter.
>>
>>458925
Actually meme comes from a text of 1976 and basically means "an idea transmitted from one mind to another"

So memes are basically every idea that can be communicated

Reddit is not a meme, but they shout memes all the time

Same with 4chan, same with Facebook, etc.
>>
File: costanza.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>implying language isn't constantly transforming
dumb frogposter

>a cultural item in the form of an image, video, phrase, etc., that is spread via the Internet and often altered in a creative or humorous way.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/meme
>>
>>460935
You're a fucking meme 2bh
>>
>>458925
dumb frogposter
>>
>>460917
"Reddit" is a meme though. So is any word in any language, and so is "Patriotism". These are all ideas transmitted from one mind to another.
>>
Everything is a meme.
>>
>>458925
OP is a meme

Dumb frogposters are a meme
>>
is this a reddit meme?
>>
>>462353
Yes
>>
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The word "meme" is literally the worst thing to ever happen to the internet. Ever.
If I could go back in time, I would find Richard Dawkin's mother when she was pregnant with him and kick her in the womb as hard as I could to give her a miscarriage.
>>
File: .png (135 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
.png
135 KB, 900x900
>>458930
>>460935
>>460939
>>460952
>>461142
>>462346
>>462351

I want people like you to leave. You're barely capable of putting a fucking sentence together without spouting shitty buzzwords that have long since lost all meaning, raped to death by hoards of braindead 14 year olds over on /v/.

And I'm not going to be cliche and tell you to go kill yourself. What I want you to do is turn around away from your computer screen and face the wall. Then just talk to the wall. Banter with it for a bit, insult it, call it a meme wall. Have a meme conversation with your meme wall. Feel that meme frustration well up in your little meme brain as your meme wall refuses to respond to you in a fulfilling meme way. And I want you to bang your meme head up against that meme wall until your meme face starts meme bleeding and you meme yourself into unconsciousness and wake up in a meme hospital surrounded by your worried meme family who look at you in meme bewilderment and meme shame.

Now you know what it feels like for other people to have to talk to you. Fuck off.
>>
>>464365
Maybe if you stopped posting frogs people would take you seriously.

dumb frogposter
>>
"Memes are a meme" DJ Khaled aka 'm00t'
>>
aha benis XD
>>
>>464365
I read the first sentence and I understood everything you were trying to say. Why did you write more than the first sentence?
>>
File: 1449025917534.png (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449025917534.png
44 KB, 500x500
A meme is basically an idea that is easily transferable from one mind to another. Think "catchphrases." Memes are created when a large group of users come to identify with a particular image or slogan. Their continued [mis]use will bring about the destruction of the universe.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>464528
It's worth noting that there's ALWAYS a better word than "Meme" for a concept except in the academic way Metal Gear Solid uses the word. "Patriotism" is a great example of a meme, but pic related is an "Image Macro".
>>
The very words one forms one's speech with are memes.
>>
>>462723
Was it called 'cultergen' before him?
>>
>>460935
Language shouldn't change the meanings of previous words, it makes understanding things written in the past harder.
>>
>>464818
No
>>
>>464829
"Shouldn't" doesn't mean squat. What is and what ought to be are constantly at odds. Language does evolve even if it shouldn't.
>>
>>464981
Evolution via laziness isn't evolution at all. It's devolution. Which is exactly what is happening. Language is devolving into a puddle of shit.
>>
>>465267
Search Results
dev·o·lu·tion
ˌdevəˈl(y)o͞oSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: devolution

the transfer or delegation of power to a lower level, especially by central government to local or regional administration.
synonyms: decentralization, delegation; More
redistribution, transfer;
surrender, relinquishment
"the devolution of power to the regions"
formal
descent or degeneration to a lower or worse state.
"the devolution of the gentlemanly ideal into a glorification of drunkenness"
Law
the legal transfer of property from one owner to another.
Biology
evolutionary degeneration.

Origin
late 15th century (in the sense ‘transference by default’): from late Latin devolutio(n-), from Latin devolvere ‘roll down’ (see devolve).

----

Would you care to explain yourself, you colossal hypocrite?
>>
>>465267
Evolution makes things worse all the time.
>>
>>465267
You pedantic piece of shit, language has been evolving since its inception. It's not our fault you and your friends speak like apes, and that makes you think that the whole world is illiterate. Use some logic, you worthless primate.
>>
>>458925
is this you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IVJVTUNl0I
>>
>>465271
How is that post hypocritical?
>>465272
Such as?
>>465278
Excellent low quality post. Nice use of irony too.
>>
>>465286
"Devolution" didn't always mean "bad evolution" you monkey.
>>
>>465286
Wew lad, excellent use of vagueness and unsupported assertions :^)
Almost got me.
>>
File: 1457748092064.jpg (21 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1457748092064.jpg
21 KB, 396x385
>>464365
This is a great meme story. Meme Pat yourself on your meme back and go have a meme beer.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.