[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>For years, 4chan forced a sort of begrudging respect. Yeah
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 46
File: 4chains.jpg (134 KB, 1271x787) Image search: [Google]
4chains.jpg
134 KB, 1271x787
>For years, 4chan forced a sort of begrudging respect. Yeah it’s a dumb, banal, kiddie pool, but the jokes were still being reappropriated across the internet, and as much as we hate to admit it, that counts for something.
>However, that’s not the case anymore. Today, 4chan is super dull.
>The internet is a much bigger place than it was in 2006. We’re living in a world where Hillary & Trump are campaigning with Twitter burns and people like Desus and The Kid Mero can score real production deals off of pure memeability.
>The internet is accessible to everyone now, which is good in some ways and bad in others. The second corporate money starts infiltrating something previously organic, questions have to be asked. In that sense, this would be the perfect time for some good, old-fashioned internet chaos but 4chan doesn't have the balls anymore.
>The (formerly) notorious /b/ board, has never been more stale or uncreative. 4chan is broken in a unique, unfixable way. Every single fucking thread is the same reposts or variations of old threads and memes.
>It’s constant, it’s dreary, and it’s just not interesting. Technically, 4chan was always this way, but now they have a concrete Us vs. Them framework that’s made the site unbearable. At least in the past they weren’t so defensive.
>It’s kind of hard to explain, but it feels like once upon a time, hubs like 4chan weren’t connected to any other context, and made jokes in their own native tongue. Now 4chan has been united with the rest of the world, and they can only process information in this ridiculous partisan mindset.
>The site’s humor is now inextricably tied to some sort of ultra-right message. Their enemies used to be Gaia and eBaums; now it’s HuffPo and Kotaku. The few shards of innocence, like Advice Dog, or Rickrolling, will never be replicated.
>One of the most influential communities in the history of the internet has never been less relevant or funny, and they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Thoughts?
>>
People are going to write off everything the article is saying simply because of the fact they're talking about 4chan outside of 4chan (this isn't Fight Club, faggot) but it's spot on.

Too many people here post under an IDEA of what 4chan is "supposed" to be like, rather than just posting freely. And no, it was not always like that. I'll take any amount of bullshit over forced bullshit any day.
>>
>>583385
thanks hiro
>>
>>583385
Cringed t b h
>>
File: eternal.png (890 KB, 720x814) Image search: [Google]
eternal.png
890 KB, 720x814
>>583385

Been here since 2006, and yes, 4chan has gotten worse. 4chan is shit, but the rest of the internet is so much shittier. 4chan's decline is a symptom of a larger problem: the Eternal September of the entire internet.

I'm moderately liberal, but let's be honest, most of mainstream sites are slightly to heavily left-wing. Even though I lean left, there are so many legitimate issues you can't discuss in mainstream sites despite acting civilly and having government and independent third party facts to back you up.

So I understand 4chan being a right leaning haven, but it's too much of the downvote/circlejerk stick your fingers in your ears and shout down any dissenting opinions. Yes, 4chan is superior since mods don't really ban dissenters and you can't downvote threads.

I just hate what the internet has become. A bunch of giant corporate sites with little sub-fiefdoms where everyone agrees with you and you ban or otherwise silence dissenters.

I want to go back to the old days.
>>
I still can't decide which board suffered the worse collapse: /b/ or /x/.

/x/ had movie nights and original creepypasta and hilariously bad hoaxes to legitimately well made hoaxes.

Now it's fucking /soc/ with ghosts.
>>
Two words: reddit admixture
>>
>>583411
/b/

It's quite literally the gateway for newfags, its where i went through
>>
>>583385
If this is verbatim from the article, then it's falling into the same trap that every media article does, and that is that 4chan is /b/ (and now /pol/) because those are the boards that regularly interact with social media and elsewhere, much to the chagrin of every other board. Does the media really think /pol/ is the entire site? Actually you don't need to answer that, I'm pretty sure they do.

I'm just happy talking about my hobbies in an insular manner. If the rest of the internet forgot about 4chan tomorrow I would be thrilled.
>>
>>583419

I stopped maining /b/ in 2008 or 2009. I seriously don't understand what happened. It was a competition to create something more hilarious or cringey or weird or offensive than what was previously around.

Now it's posting the same shit over and over and over and over and over again.
>>
File: 1198086558078.jpg (57 KB, 599x433) Image search: [Google]
1198086558078.jpg
57 KB, 599x433
AND DO YOU FUCKING KNOW WHY ARE WE A DEAD CORPSE, FUCKING "LUKE WINKIE"? BECAUSE OF YOU AND YOUR FAG ASS JOURNALIST FRIENDS, FUCKING NORMALFAG.

RULES 1 & 2 WERE NEVER A FUCKING JOKE, THEY WERE MADE TO TRY TO AVOID WHAT THIS SITE HAVE TURNED, BUT NEWFAGS THOUGHT THAT IT WAS AN "EPIC MAYMAY" AND DISRESPECTED IT.

NOW Y'ALL NEED TO FUCKING SHOVE THIS CANCEROUS SITE FLOODED WITH UNDERAGES AND TWITTERFAGS IN Y'ALL ASSES, FUCKING DUMBASSES.

I'M 1000000000000% MAD.
>>
>>583385
Pepe is probably a good image to use because it represents the normification of the internet. And I'm not saying that in a "normies reee" way (which also attracts normal people who laugh at that), just that the internet in general has become a much less exclusive place. Frogposting is just a crystal clear example of the sort of decline that's happening to 4chan. It's fine for something like that to be popular for a year or two, like rage faces, but now you have people obstinately clinging to frogposting despite it being long past its expiration date and widely used by 'normal' non-4chan users.

The internet used to be the den of geeks and nerds, and now literally everyone and their mother is online. So while I agree that 4chan has been poor at adapting to this new internet, it's a problem that all old nerdy websites are dealing with, so it's not like it's 4chan's fault in particular that it has stagnated.

4chan still makes some memes, but it's far from the kingpin it once was as the originator of most memes.
>>
>>583426
>RULES 1 & 2 WERE NEVER A FUCKING JOKE

Rules 1 & 2 are only for raids, but I understand where you're coming from. 4chan simply became too popular. I'm a financial analyst and regularly do classes and presentations in middle and high schools. Kids as young as 6th graders openly talk about and browse 4chan. So that's one issue.

I think another issue is that many came to 4chan during the Great Reddit Panic circa 2010. Reddit likes rage comics? Better shit on anyone who posts them. Mainstream sites like lolcats? Better shit on anyone that posts them. r/atheism is popular? Better pretend to be Christian Crusaders. Whatever meme or joke or game or movie or show becomes popular in the mainstream? Better pretend to have hated it all along.
>>
>>583442

I didn't clarify my point.

But 4chan became too reactionary instead of being a trendsetter, it was just taking an contrarian stance to whatever was mainstream/popular.
>>
>>583426
Is equivalent to:
12/19/2007 @ 5:49pm (UTC)

>>583442
The part you mentioned in the second paragraph is certainly a major issue. /v/ started 2016 with a burst of OC and while the threads were great overall there were many posts talking about reddit that essentially boiled down to "stop having fun". The paranoia towards fun that many boards now have is ridiculous and I don't know how it could change. I completely understand (and have experienced) the frustration towards having one's content stolen for upvotes and karma elsewhere, but it shouldn't prevent you from having fun in the moment.
This issue is mostly confined to boards that have many other problems, however, like aforementioned /v/.
>>
This is why you should all be learning Japanese and getting a jp proxy
>>
>>583442
>Rules 1 & 2 are only for raids
The "r1&2 are for raids" shit started in 2007 by some newfag who probably wanted to tell his e-friends that he browsed 4chan, just to look cool. This is false.
R1&2 apply, or at least used to, on everything.

>>583453
Yeah, that's the date I saved that picture, why?
>>
>>583461
>Yeah, that's the date I saved that picture, why?
I just find it interesting, is all. It's like a time capsule.
>>
>>583464
It's actually impressive that either his hard drive has survived that long or he's transferred his data enough to keep using it into 2016.
>>
It's for this reason I hate people who try and produce "OC" on 4chan. You are just trying to ape what came before and/or hoping for your shit to go viral. There's a whole cottage industry of these desperate unoriginal faggots now.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (5 KB, 249x227) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
5 KB, 249x227
>>583469
My chan folder had some interesting stuff, so I decided to transfer it to my new computer.

>>583464
>time capsule
Don't tell me this shit, 2007 was barely 9 years a... oh, well...
>>
>>583478
So should no one post things they made here? I fail to see your point.
>>
>>583478
Depends on the OC. If you're making new frog images then you're a faggot.

If you're making completely new stuff or making new stuff for a nascent meme, then even if I don't like the meme, I appreciate what those guys are doing.
>>
File: better times.png (42 KB, 372x512) Image search: [Google]
better times.png
42 KB, 372x512
>>583469
Is it really that unusual? Not him, but I still have old drives from the late 90's laying around here somewhere. The data was copied onto newer drives but I still have the originals.
I was trying to find the oldest file I have, but I lost motivation and this Earthbound rom is probably pretty close.
>>
>>583469
Don't you guys backup your pictures?
>>
>>583483
I think it's tired, insincere faggotry. E.g. Draw threads on every board

We respect those old memes because they were sincere. But that time has passed and there's a million imitators of 4chan's culture and humor now. I wish they would stop humping its corpse.
>>
>>583488
>>583490
I think it's a bit unusual to have such old files, if only because most of us then wouldn'tve been that old and not cared much about data preservation. 10 years ago I didn't care about losing my hard drive beyond the pain of having to reinstall all my games. As for my images I had most of them on photobucket anyways. I didn't use 4chan, just regular forums, so I linked most of my images rather than attaching them.

In contrast, today I have a lot more media that's purely digital. I don't have nearly the same amount of physical copies of movies or games anymore, it's the same for photos I take in real life. Even if I know how to get all the data back, it's more of a pain than ever to get it all back given the sheer size of it. Probably only in the last 5 years or so have I become a lot more protective of my data. I've also become aware that it's inherently risky to rely on the cloud for safekeeping, not just because of security concerns but because they might die at any time or disable your account arbitrarily. I keep copies of important data on a flash drive, my hard drive, and online.
>>
>>583478
As long as you continue to obsess over others the good times can never - and will never - return. What matters is contained entirely within the thread- that is all you should be thinking about. I hate the leeches as well, but there's nothing we can do about that, anon.

>>583503
I can understand that. If you can afford it you can also do the RAID 1 setup for redundancy protection, but I haven't bothered with it.
>>
>>583385
seems like its some fag talking about /b/ but saying 4chan instead.
>>
>>583492
>We respect those old memes

Post lolcats

Post rage comics

Post mudkipz

Post boxxy, etc

Newfriends will instantaneously shit on you
>>
File: asdfasad0.jpg (43 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
asdfasad0.jpg
43 KB, 500x374
>>583503
Now that I check it, I have images as old as 2006 on my long since abandoned Photobucket account. I don't see anywhere to verify the date I uploaded them but I know what year it was from those pictures regardless.
>>
>>583385
Good, I hope everyone outside of 4chan thinks that this site is absolute garbage and stops coming here. I hope the fags that make screenshots to r/4chan start to think this site is garbage so they take screenshots of OOchan or some shit. I hope most of the /r9k/ normalfags get mad about some asinine shit and go form their own chan.
>>
>>583385
Anyone else feel like /r9k/ is becoming closer to old /b/?
Looking at things like dockbro, fridgebro, that one guy with the parasitic bird eggs, or that one guy who made up that fantasy playmobil world, it's all stuff that would previously have been posted on /b/

I hope it continues in this direction.
>>
>>583514
>As long as you continue to obsess over others the good times can never - and will never - return.

Those times have passed and I would appreciate if people would recognize that instead of trying to resurrect a corpse.
>>
File: tldr.jpg (42 KB, 389x430) Image search: [Google]
tldr.jpg
42 KB, 389x430
>>
A lot of the boards just seem impossibly big now in a way that 4chan was never meant to handle.

If you know a thread has a good chance of being pushed off in 20-30 minutes, there's less incentive to write out thoughtful posts or create OC. It's pretty demoralizing to see a thread archive shortly after you tried to put some effort into a thread or comment.

Technically more people might see it given the sheer volume of lurkers, but with such quick archiving, the connection to the community just feels weak.
>>
>>583522
If you post that shit like it was original and funny, people would call you a faggot. But no oldfag actually hates that stuff. They just recognize its time has passed.
>>
>>583483
I really, really want the fucking frog to finally die. We've ditched so much shit when it leaked onto the wider web and it was for the better. The goddamn frogs are the single most normalfag meme out there right now, used by anyone from facebook friends to celebrities and yet the fucking frogposters just can't let go and keep beating the dead horse. How many years has it been already since Pepe exploded?
>>
File: this guy.png (128 KB, 1954x1783) Image search: [Google]
this guy.png
128 KB, 1954x1783
>>583549
I blame reddit desu, they thought this whole site was just /r9k/ greentexts and ran with it.
>>
File: 1174842368745.jpg (15 KB, 338x300) Image search: [Google]
1174842368745.jpg
15 KB, 338x300
>>583469
>>
File: internet argument.gif (32 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
internet argument.gif
32 KB, 250x250
>>583385

>literally "newfag pretending to be oldfag while complaining about stupid shit" but put into a news article
>>
>>583552

I think Reddit was a symptom, not the cause. Sure it's massively popular (I think ~200+ million unique users per month), put it filled a void. A void for the newfound people with easy internet access to get "in" with internet "culture."
>>
File: this is weird.png (179 KB, 1898x956) Image search: [Google]
this is weird.png
179 KB, 1898x956
>>583558
They made a fucking rare pepe folder in 2015, it's the cause alongside twitterfags with their weird normalfag pepe.
>>
>>583385
>OH NO, WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS ABOUT POLITICS
>NOBODY EVER HAD AN OPINION ON 4CHAN ABOUT POLITICS UNTIL AFTER 2006

Is this guy stupid?
>>
>>583568
>10 million subscribers
>Pepes and le epic shitposts
Just kill me
>>
>>583569
Whatever scattered political interest there was, it's pretty obviously true that nobody had made it into a us-vs-them thing before 2006.
>>
>>583569
I think it's more that 4chan went from having a libertarian streak to simply being contrarian. Like it used to be a place for outsiders and those with deviant beliefs. Even atheists had a rough go of it 10 years ago and found refuge in places like 4chan. Now if anyone brings it up they're actively mocked with fedora images.

Just as well it was safe to express right wing opinions and use racist terms without having to worry about being banned (provided you weren't being TOO edgy) which wasn't the case for most online forums.

4chan now simply seems to exist in opposition to the mainstream rather than merely being a refuge for the alternative, if that makes any sense to you.
>>
>>583391
Whos forcing them to post like that? What behaviour does the site itself actually encourage?

I dont see any posting tips...
>>
>>583585
It's a byproduct of time. A snake eating it's own tail.

That's what happens when a community is built on fringe shit like anime and bad manners.
>>
>>583585
le epic 4chin screencaps of course! How else would you blend in, lurking?
>>583568
>>
>>583568
This is why we need to ban all pepes and ironic memers. If they want to meme they should use fresh material at the very least. Going "me too, look I posted a pepe I'm in on it too! Look reddit I'm cool on 4chan!" is what has killed memeing. Copying memes out of context with no regard to their origin or function is entirely missing the point of them.

What reddit is doing is like a middle aged, suburban white mom trying to talk gangsta to her kids to get them to eat their broccoli or whatever.
>>
>>583588
The community hasn't been built on fringe shit for a long time now.
>>
>>583585
I'm not trying to go all "it's le boogeyman" here, but I think places like /r/4chan have had a detrimental effect on the site. People used to hear about 4chan in more personalized ways, like from some online gamer friend, or some funny forum user that you asked where they got their content from.

Now most people are exposed to 4chan through packaged memes on reddit and elsewhere. People get the idea that it's ALL about the shitposting, and that you should even actively mock those who aren't doing so, in all circumstances.
>>
>>583593
Using the meme more than 3 times in a paragraph should be insta-banned.
>>
>>583598
Especially on /tv/ after Bane
>>
>>583385
who.... the H*CK...... are yuo QUOTING!!!!//?!!???!?!?!?!?!!/!?!
>>
Has anyone ever told r/4chan to fuck off?
>>
At this point, I'd pay cash money dollars for a private 4chan board. A /b/ where ironic shitposters get their pass revoked and have to buy another one if they want to post again.

But that will just be like SA's forums, which I left for 4chan in the first place.

I don't even know if there's a reasonable and realistic solution to "fix" 4chan. Maybe waves of .js spam could clear out the newfags, but I bet Reddit or some other site would just post a fix and they'd be back in a few days.
>>
>>583593
[spoiler]memes were always cancer[/spoiler][spoiler]always[/spoiler]
>>
>>583593
Reddit fedoras and bullshit like that needs to be removed too
sick of seeing the same uncreative shitters
>>
>>583607
nice meme
>>
>>583569
But those aren't opinions on politics
it's all trump memes and bullshit for the sake of being different and fucking with the system
>>
File: r4ch.jpg (161 KB, 943x1950) Image search: [Google]
r4ch.jpg
161 KB, 943x1950
>>583598
>places like /r/4chan have had a detrimental effect on the site
>People get the idea that it's ALL about the shitposting, and that you should even actively mock those who aren't doing so, in all circumstances.
Exactly. Just take a look at the comment section on r/4chan. And these are the people who come here to shitpost. They get (you)s by other shitposters, then they screencap their posts and upload them to r/4chan encouraging other redditors to shitpost here and so on.
I don't know, maybe I'm projecting too much.
>>
>>583677
We really need them to fuck off. Someone to just rip into them
>>
>>583682
The problem of how to get people you don't like to go away has been a problem 4chan has been attacking its whole life.

It's so not easy as saying people should do it.
>>
>>583682
Even stuff like spamming "go back to [r]eddit" failed, the site even spam filtered it because it got so bad. There's really no way to police them, especially since 4chan seems to be understaffed to the point where they probably need 10x more janitors.

I don't know if they're just too strict about who they let in or if too few people apply, but something needs to be done. Every night when say, /tv/ or /int/ descend into chaos, that encourages the people who say "the board is for shitposting!" and that attitude carries over into daytime posting, even if people aren't spamming porn or "Easter" then.
>>
twitter is worse than reddit
>>
>>583705
How can a pseudo-hugbox be worse than another hugbox?
>>
File: 1467845982568.png (505 KB, 1904x859) Image search: [Google]
1467845982568.png
505 KB, 1904x859
>>583707
10x the userbase, and more mainstream
>>
>>583709
Nuke the fucking board and start over.
>>
I'm enjoying this thread. A small return to form for /qa/.

>>583537
You're missing the point, man. I wasn't speaking as a whole, but for you as an individual. You can still have fun, but you need to "let" yourself have fun.
. Plus, there are still plenty of other imageboards out there for a different atmosphere- dozens and dozens and dozens of them. You use some, right? Well, maybe in time it will be necessary to use those exclusively, but for now I still see merit in 4chan. Some boards are completely lost, obviously, but some still hang on.
>>
>>583703
I think they're hiring way too little. They should at least be keeping some of the old ones around, not dumping all of them and replacing them form the ground up.
>>
>>583726
I'm not sure how many janitors or mods don't leave voluntarily, but I can't imagine it's very many.
I've only modded an emulation forum in the early aughts and it's not a very enjoyable experience, especially for free. You need to really, really care about the board and community- enough to ruin your carefree enjoyment of it. And how many of the people you're helping ever show appreciation for it?

>>583709
This is exactly what /pol/ wanted, though, with all its various incursions into social media and real life in general. You reap what you sow. Unfortunately, the dregs they attract don't all stay on that board.
>>
>>583731
/jp/, if everyone thinks like that nothing would get done. If you can't have fun, at least keep in mind others will. They will repay the favour.
>>
>>583385
I do agree that 4chan has become 2serious4dainternet, whereas in the past it was exactly the opposite. People mocked 2serious shit.

I wouldn't blame politics tho, if it werent for politics people would find something else to -seriously- sperg about
>>
>>583385
>hubs like 4chan weren’t connected to any other context, and made jokes in their own native tongue. Now 4chan has been united with the rest of the world, and they can only process information in this ridiculous partisan mindset.

MULTICULTURALISM BTFO
>>
I absolutely agree. I blame the newfags, I blame the fucking hotpocketing eating moderators(and if you're a 4chan mod I don't wish anything but bad will on you), and I blame MOOT for being such an insufferable faggot who had to make the site mainstream with shitty boards like /s4s/ and /lgbt/
Fuck you guys
>>
>>583804
I remember when people shat on people who said moot was trying to dumb down 4chan to sell- to pass it down to a legend such as Hiro, like when he changed Page 0 to page 1, 'email' to Options, 'submit' to Post, the deletion of visible sage, the ultra enforcement of 'anti shitposting' rules, the new link you get on threads, etc.
>>
>>583748
I'm confused by your mention of /jp/. What are you replying to in my post?
>>
>>583854
I recognize you from the /jp/ thread, unfortunately /qa/ is small in size and posting styles. I'll elaborate, while it is true that it might not be an enjoyable experience, you should have the mindset that you're doing it for the good of your board and that you can finally allow them to have some fun. You'd be sacrificing yourself for the good of your board despite having near to no fun. This would hopefully later on, be repaid in full.
>>
>>583402
>4chan is superior since mods don't really ban dissenters and you can't downvote threads.

The former does happen and the latter shitposting a thread to death is what happens.
>>
>>583859
You are correct, anon. Hello again.
I was trying to address the comment that the jans/mods were not being "kept around", as if they were "fired" instead of voluntarily resigning due to burnout or just lost interest.
>You'd be sacrificing yourself for the good of your board despite having near to no fun
That is indeed a good way to see the moderation job, and I could see myself doing it, but I also know I would become stressed out in a matter of months. I feel burnt out just reading the crossboard garbage dumped onto us the past week, and that's what I see as a user.
>>
4chan is a reflection of the internet. both went to shit
>>
>>583884
>but I also know I would become stressed out in a matter of months
This is to be expected unless you have the conviction of a man who is paid and enjoy his work very much. What would hopefully follow is another anon from /jp/ to continue your work and in turn reward you with a better experience.
Don't give up.
>>
At the same time, if you add tons of janitors, then that means a smaller portion of work will be shared between them all. It might be tougher to train/watch them as they learn, but you'd have less burnout and be training a big class of janitors which means more good candidates to become mods in the future. And so on for those new mods to train even more janitors.
>>
>>583646
Get rid of all the quality of life improvements. No catalog, no (You), no reply previews, no autonoko. Remove all the retard safety features like purging EXIF. Ban mobile posting. Make 4chan a pain in the ass to use like it used to be years ago. I believe a lot of the le epic screencap shitposting cretins would be too dumb to get extensions, hide behind proxies or use external catalogs and would just give up eventually.
Worth a try at least as an experiment, if only for a while.
>>
>>583903
4chan's not profitable and doesn't really seem to be being run in a way to get as much money as possible, but there are limits. A lot of that would substantially decrease traffic to the website and ad revenue with it. Of course that means server costs are reduced as well, but 4chan's probably already taken up lots of fixed costs to handle the current traffic which means you wouldn't have a linear decrease in the cost & revenue of the site.
>>
>>583894
Your optimism is a wonderful thing, anon. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was pondering sending in janitor application, however.
The boards that need the most moderation are the boards I care the least about; it's the 'chicken and the egg' situation essentially.

>>583907
I think most ad views/clicks are due to mobile users so that's another roadblock. I've had ads blocked ever since that fiasco a few months ago.
>>
>>583385
Nations are shaped by their enemies.
>>
>>583402
You can thank the invention of social media trying to blur the lines between reality with virtuality with a goal of corporate profit. Sites like Facebook and Twitter reduce and dehumanise people to pixelated opinions. It causes the unwanted connection to reality on 4chan with the popularity politics and social opinion. 4chan should be reserving the tradition of global anonymous niche online discussion with the additional layer of freedom of speech and sadistic humour, but the population of the form social media-esque user base has a distinct population.
>>
I love how most of this thread is going "The problem isn't us, it's those fucking redditors!!" which is effortlessly proving the article's point.
>>
>>583930
Regardless of how much you want to be contrarian, /qa/ is an unlisted board and you'll find a very different breed of 4chan user here.
>>
4chan can't even make memes anymore

LITERALLY every single viral meme I see posted on here originated on tumblr
>>
>>583935
/tv/ and /pol/ have made a ton of new memes recently. Pol especially.
>>
>>583938
nobody cares about trump hats photoshopped on anime girls

i will give tv credit because baneposting and sheevposting are pretty funny
>>
>>583930
Sure, there's some low effort posting like that but the majority of the thread is civil and reminds me of old /qa/. This is a far cry from the way the trash boards discuss these things.
>>
>>583568
This image just gave me cancer.

See you all in another timeline.
>>
>>583935
That's not the point of the site.

People thinking 4chan's worth is tied to its meme export are the reason everyone takes shit so seriously and is exactly the reason 4chan has become stale.
They're also more likely to have come from some other shitty site like 9gag or facebook and think memes are little parcels of humor (usually in image form) that you can just dump in the middle of almost any conversation to show people how funny you are.
>>
>>584001
I think he's more sad about what it indirectly means. 4chan used to be the center of humor, of originality. And that manifested itself in 4chan being the progenitor of tons of internet memes. That status has been eroded a lot.
>>
File: 1299605261216.jpg (49 KB, 254x267) Image search: [Google]
1299605261216.jpg
49 KB, 254x267
>>583385
>correctly states that the Internet is accessible to everyone
>proceeds to write that we're broken because of a Us vs. Them framework
>not because the Internet is fucking accessible to everyone
He draws a completely wrong conclusion, we're shit because the Internet became available to every shiteater, it was inevitable. This site would've become truly irredeemable if users weren't defensive.
I would also like to add that if it's true that you become more conservative as you grow older, then it's not strange that a site with regular users will lean in that direction, especially if it's contrarian in nature.
>>
>>584005
Why were we so funny in the first place?
>>
File: Old 4chan.png (681 KB, 1167x587) Image search: [Google]
Old 4chan.png
681 KB, 1167x587
I'm about to delete all my old 4chan shit I don't care about anymore and nobody else has cares about.
>>
>>583568
Jesus fucking christ this explains so fucking much.
>>
>>584025
Check out their top posts of the day. It's always a generic shitpost, lolsorandumbXD greentext or a forgettable joke made in passing. The whole place is surreal.
>>
File: ня~♪.jpg (422 KB, 670x800) Image search: [Google]
ня~♪.jpg
422 KB, 670x800
I'm glad /b/ is dead. I'm glad its cancerous memes are dead. I'm glad it no longer raids other 4chan boards and other sites. I'm glad 4chan no longer exports memes. And hopefully soon all the alt-rightists will be made to leave like Chanology and GamerGate.

Only then can 4chan start returning to its true roots as a site founded by weebs for weebs.
>>
>>584012
Not him, but if you've seen some of the recent threads here where they image dump old screenshots from pre 2008 a lot of people come to the conclusion that it was actually "cringy" or lame.

However, it was a different time period. Today's standards are actually quite fucked when you think about it.
4chan just didn't used to take itself so seriously. But instead of trying to pass that torch on to the next generations we instead taught newfags to over analyze everything and that you can tell where someone is from, and whether or not they should be told to "fuck off", by every little detail of how they write or what they like.
That attitude grew as new users came to the site and it's our own faults. So it's no wonder the older 4chan humor looks lame by todays standards. Any relaxed fun atmosphere would look lame by todays super up-tight anal analysis.
>>
>>584036
Keep dreaming. Nobody's going to delete /pol/ and moderate the boards 24/7 for a year to combat the spillage. Definitely not Hiro, who's probably already forgotten he owns this place.
/b/ is not truly dead and their crossraids aren't either. It's just moved to different boards like /tv/, /v/, /r9k/ or /pol/.
>>
>>584019
What's that loli doujin?
>>
>>584041
In what world does alt-rightfags leaving equate to deleting /pol/? You're right on the other shit, but get your shit together.
>>
File: 1165637644438.jpg (176 KB, 565x600) Image search: [Google]
1165637644438.jpg
176 KB, 565x600
>>584042
It's about a snowman that comes to life and rapes a little girl with a popsicle dick. It was spammed on /b/ all the time back in the day.
>>
>>584046
I knew it looked familiar! Thanks man.
>>
>>584045
At the end of the day, there will always be alt-rightists on 4chan, but if /pol/ were to ever die (not that I think it ever will), at least you'd know that these alt-right people came to discuss your topic and "happened to be part of the alt-right" rather than coming to 4chan just for that shit.
>>
File: snowman.png (43 KB, 501x391) Image search: [Google]
snowman.png
43 KB, 501x391
>>584046
Wasn't there an animated gif version too?
>>
File: how pedos capture their prey.jpg (254 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
how pedos capture their prey.jpg
254 KB, 1200x800
>>584007
>This site would've become truly irredeemable if users weren't defensive.

I don't know, man. On one hand, we shouldn't sit idly by while people shit up the site. On the other hand, reacting defensively to perceived outsiders just encourages people to act like the outsiders because it's a guaranteed way to get replies.

I mean, we've been telling people to return to reddit for six fucking years and I don't think its accomplished anything.
>>
>>584045
Well, it's their main HQ and breeding grounds after all. Good luck making them leave while leaving /pol/ intact, you'd need an army of mods eternally bound to policing the board.
>>
>>584054

I finally decided to check r/the_donald a few weeks ago. It's literally /pol/ with the shitty Reddit format.

What I don't know if it's mostly /pol/ invading reddit or redditors invading /pol/ at this point.
>>
>>584052
Yeah but I can't find it in my mess of a hard drive
>>
>>584057
I'm not sure there's even a difference at this point.
>>
File: dubs.jpg (2 MB, 3462x4616) Image search: [Google]
dubs.jpg
2 MB, 3462x4616
Will Hiro ever bring back dubs?
>>
File: pol.png (61 KB, 951x528) Image search: [Google]
pol.png
61 KB, 951x528
>>584057
Here's a capture from 4plebs
>>
>>584062
So did all the previous regulars just up and leave in 2015 creating a vacuum that got filled by a steadily growing cancer?
>>
>>584062

>so few people sage anymore that it doesn't even show on the graph

Goddamnit. I wouldn't be surprised if 90%+ of anons nowadays don't even know what sage is. I'm sick and tired of seeing some shitposting thread fall all the way to page 10 about to be pruned then some retard has to post his shit comment but doesn't sage.
>>
>>584066
Stop being retarded, the archive only archives publicly available stuff and visible sage was removed years ago, the sage graph only remains to display stuff from before that time.
>>
>>584063
That plunge was /pol/ harbor.

>>584066
I was going to check /jp/'s but then I remember 95% of /jp/'s activity (if not more) is generals so there's no point. I think it would be quite high if you excluded those awful enclaves, however.
>>
>>584070
Does it really not track sage? I'm not familiar with 4plebs but I figured a site that gets refreshed with new information about thread order would have a mechanism to detect it.
>>
>>584053
Everything has a price.
>>584054
What are you talking about? Why did you think that I considered any moderation interference? Views change. They can stay as long as they want, but if it becomes some activist shit or anything on the same level of faggotry, then we will have a problem.
>>
>>584073
Yes, it's possible but not accurate and nobody has really cared about adding more features to the archiver software.

>>584071
>I was going to check /jp/'s
warosu doesn't have graph stats and /jp/ isn't on desuarchive, so you can't really check anything.
>>
File: jp.png (101 KB, 830x881) Image search: [Google]
jp.png
101 KB, 830x881
>>584082
archived.moe is a last-resort archive that only does thumbnails that started up fairly recently. It seems to have imported data from previous archives.
>>
Been here since 2007-something-ish and i can tell you that mobile/fecesbook crossposters are single-handedly responsible for all of this
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (416 KB, 1900x591) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
416 KB, 1900x591
>>583429
At this point, we might as well just change the name to Frogchan.
>>
>>584062
What happened at the end of 2014 and at july of 2016?
>>
>>584145
The 8 steps of cuckolding happened. Large surge of shitposting, followed by everyone deserting the board.
The recent spike is probably Brexit.
>>
File: Polharbor.png (1 MB, 1673x945) Image search: [Google]
Polharbor.png
1 MB, 1673x945
>>584145
moot having fun and purging the board of weenies at the same time.
>>
>>584150
Oh, and I don't know the July one. /pol/ doing social media/real life shit to bring attention to itself again, I imagine.
>>
File: 1459836970816.jpg (72 KB, 487x460) Image search: [Google]
1459836970816.jpg
72 KB, 487x460
>>584145
>end of 2014
moot made /pol/ nice again
>>
>>584148
>>584150
>The 8 steps of cuckolding happened
Oh right, yeah, I remember it now, some woman explaining the joys of cuckolding playing in the background, and people yelling SJW-shit(and cuck I think)
What a mess that was.
>>
>>584150

I don't get it. If moot hated /pol/ so much, why didn't he just delete it?
>>
>>584155
He did. Twice.
He couldn't handle the aftermath though and kept bringing it back, with more threats of "behave this time or I'll kill you for good"
>>
>>584153
This was fucking funny

>>584162
Honestly, I reckon he could have left it dead after the 8 steps of cuckolding. Remember /pol/s Sampson option? Remember how they couldn't even take fucking /mlp/?
>>
>>584155
Because he didn't hate it nearly as much as /pol/tards say he did. He even had hung out in a thread there for a few hours- effectively his last impromptu Q&A.
/pol/ is just, well, retarded. And it's even worse today and could use another purge, but it won't happen.
>>
Bump because /qa/ is getting spammed
>>
>>583411
I masturbated onto a ouija board. A ghost started following me and gave me a handjob. Then she got super clingy so I told it I was gay and experimenting.
>>
>>584005
>4chan used to be the center of humor, of originality
Not really. Most of our jokes have always been mostly stuff we take from others and give it our own personal form.

>>584041
Not really. You could always force /pol/ into a merge with /b/ and tell them to go wild. Mods only delete cp and then go aprils furs on them with range bans and temp supercookie/evercookies and removing convenience features. This would effectively nuke the majority, although with heavy causalities and whether it would be worth it is debatable. Of course this would never happen because the only admin that would do that sort of shit is an old moot.

I still can't understand why moot added /pol/. He knew exactly what would happen and he still did it. A politics board just doesn't fit here in the first place.
>>
>>583930
Back in '05/06, we used to blame Gaia for our problems. What's your point?
The problem isn't only the redditors, the problem is whoever takes shit from here and share with facebookers, youtubers, twitterniggers, etc. These cancerous bastard basically call unwanted people to come here.
>>
File: 1221703000470.jpg (47 KB, 470x345) Image search: [Google]
1221703000470.jpg
47 KB, 470x345
>>584343
>A politics board just doesn't fit here in the first place.
according to whom? i think it fits in pretty damn well considering politics had been posted on /b/ for years before that.
>>
>>584349
There is a difference between posts on the random board which is made to be everything and an entire board dedicated to the topic. Politics by its very nature, since always, is a very serious and heated topic. 4chan has always been a very light-hearted fun website and the nature of the topic clashes with the site. On /b/ its fine because its only natural it will pop up there, just as everything will. But an entire board is a different demon. Even if you make it with the intention of being light-hearted, even if you nazi mod it, it will never be. It will only stay as such for an incredibly short amount of time before people take the topic for what it is. A topic that people take incredibly seriously and have and always will kill each other over.

4chan is always better as a site with a 'nerd' theme.
>>
>>584351
It's funny to me that you think politics isn't a "nerd themed" activity when there are just as many (if not more) kissless virgin partisan policy wonks on /pol/ as there are kissless virgin waifufags on /tv/ or /a/.

Politics is all around us both on and off the internet. Trying to ignore it is foolish when these people make laws.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (136 KB, 400x529) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
136 KB, 400x529
>>583385
>4chan
>sometime after 2008
and definitely after 2011
>>
>>584343
He probably thought it wasn't worth the constant fighting with board takeover attempts and the little /stormfront/ enclave would stay fairly contained, not much worse than /new/.
Little did he know, it grew to be one of the biggest boards and the new /b/ in terms of being a newfag and media magnet.
>>
>>584353
>think politics isn't a "nerd themed" activity when there are just as many (if not more) kissless virgin partisan policy wonks on /pol/ as there are kissless virgin waifufags on /tv/ or /a/.
This makes zero sense.

You are intentionally missing the point. It doesn't fucking belong here. It doesn't matter if it occurs in or out of the internet or if those people make the laws. Why the fuck does that matter? In-fact, that sort of stuff only furthers brings to reason that it doesn't belong. ITS AN INCREDIBLY SERIOUS TOPIC AND THIS IS A INCREDIBLY UNSERIOUS ANON IMAGE BOARD. It's already been proven through multiple iterations that it simply doesn't work or belong in the first place.

You could pick many reasons why the board doesn't belong here, but the fact the topic clashes with the most core environment point of 4chan is probably the most important. It is also not foolish to not have a politics board on a website made to talk about fucking nerdy hobbies. You can talk about it in every other part of the internet, so why does it have to be shoe-horned into here as well?
>>
>>584359

I actually liked /pol/ for the first few months, maybe a year. It actually had some variety from alt-right, to libertarians, to moderates, lefties, and commies. Then it basically became an almost exclusive alt-right enclave. I hate how so much of the internet is nothing but circle jerks and having to decide which circle jerk is less shit than all the others.
>>
>>584179
>Remember how they couldn't even take fucking /mlp/?
No one wanted to take over /mlp/. It was those gay board tan shippers that kept pushing for it. Wasn't as natural as people expected.

Board pairings are /pol/'s cancer.

>>584343
>I still can't understand why moot added /pol/. He knew exactly what would happen and he still did it.

Never understood his motive either, but the news board anons are the type who would be better on their own site. They just keep coming back to 4chan no matter how moot treats them.

>tfw /pol/ is moot's abused gf that keeps returning
>>
>>584362
>You are intentionally missing the point.
No, I get your point, I just disagree.
>It doesn't fucking belong here.
Yes it does, and is.
>It doesn't matter if it occurs in or out of the internet or if those people make the laws.
Actually yes it does matter regardless of you being in denial about that or not.
>Why the fuck does that matter? In-fact, that sort of stuff only furthers brings to reason that it doesn't belong. ITS AN INCREDIBLY SERIOUS TOPIC AND THIS IS A INCREDIBLY UNSERIOUS ANON IMAGE BOARD.
The internet is serious motherfucking business and it's time you realized that isn't just a meme from 10 years ago.
>It's already been proven through multiple iterations that it simply doesn't work or belong in the first place.
I'm sorry *you* don't like it but it's actually working pretty well, despite the recent twatter inavasion. On most days /pol/ invokes more original stimulating conversation and memes before breakfast than /a/ has in a week. Maybe one day you will have the patience to appreciate that.
>>
>>584368
Please do not frisk my posts. You didn't even do it right and literally ignored everything that was said just so you could say '/pol/ is good and better than the rest'.
>>
>>584369
Everything else was you whining and not worthy of responding to.

I'm beginning to see that most of your problem is your expectations of other people on 4chan conforming to your ideal of what 4chan is, when that ideal is well, *idealistic* at best and fantastical at worst.
>>
>>584371
No, it really wasn't whining. It was just stating facts and common knowledge and applying it. Your problem is that you don't like what I'm saying so you are just disregarding it in a shitposting manner and acting like a tard because you're wrong. Please stop acting like a child because someone said your stupid board doesn't belong. I think the fact you tried to imply that /pol/ does anything than mostly shitposting and 'making memes'(read regurgitating the same shitposting' is funny. It's not an 'ideal' as well, in-fact, lets grab it right from the horses mouth.

https://www.4chan.org/4channews.php?all#2
>Don't worry, there is no plan to put up several inactive sports and political forums. This will be largely image and comedy based, we have no intention of partaking in intelligent discussions concerning foreign affairs.

If you are so desperate to win an internet argument, answer the actual question I asked that you did intentionally ignore.
>You can talk about it in every other part of the internet, so why does it have to be shoe-horned into here as well?
>>
File: 1228536631499.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1228536631499.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
>>584374
>No I really wasn't whining
This is what you sound like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAY27NU1Jog

In 2011 after moot deleted /new/ I had a long email chain convo with him where he told me he disliked politics and wasn't big on news and current events.. I told him that I and others grew so accustomed to the format of 4chan over the years that it seemed unnatural to some Anons like myself to discuss it elsewhere (on reddit or digg at the time or twitter or metafilter). He said he understood but didn't want that on 4chan. Obviously he caved in eventually because /pol/ came back in late 2011 and has been there ever since.

I've been here for 11 years and I've always discussed politics and current events. I am direct proof that you're wrong. Your attempt at "facts" is irrelevant when you're talking to that which contradicts it. Your posts in this thread are little more than your delayed butthurt reaction to /pol/'s continued existence.
>>
>>584368
>On most days /pol/ invokes more original stimulating conversation and memes before breakfast than /a/ has in a week.
yeah, it really makes you think.
>>
>>584374
To be fair you can freely talk about any non-weeaboo subject anywhere in the internet, be it politics, TV/film, music, video games or sports. Heck, even mainstream porn as well.

Are you advocating that we turn 4chan back into a weeb forum?
>>
>>584368
>>584377
His point is just that /pol/ is too serious and it has fucked everything up.

Honestly it's so easy to spot a /pol/ user on other boards because they are so used to being up in arms on /pol/ that they forget to turn it off once in a while when they visit other boards. They go from 0 to shouting through a megaphone spewing buzzwords and accusations in no time at all.

>The internet is serious motherfucking business and it's time you realized that isn't just a meme from 10 years ago.
That serious business was never about actual debate and real world discussions. It was about taking autistic shit seriously and internet elitism.

>It's funny to me that you think politics isn't a "nerd themed" activity when there are just as many (if not more) kissless virgin partisan policy wonks on /pol/ as there are kissless virgin waifufags on /tv/ or /a/.
If you gather a bunch of nerds and have them talk about sports online that still doesn't mean sports isn't a normalfag hobby. /pol/ has only made 4chan more accessible to the masses, and it really shows.

Even if you want to defend a politics board in general, I find it hard to understand how you could defend /pol/ in its current state.
At the very least it needs to be deleted for a few months just to clear out the cancer.
>>
>>584091
seems like sages were tracking pretty closely to images then. But with visible sage gone for so long, many users probably aren't aware it even exists or how to use it. So maybe it's more like a 2009 ratio now.
>>
>4chan is one board

glad these people get filtered by /b/ or /pol/ and never advance further
>>
>>584486
Yeah sure you can talk about the community at /3/, or some subreddit with only a few hundred subscribers at reddit. It's dumb to suggest though that there still isn't an overall community that can be used to characterize 4chan.

For better or worse, the large boards are representative of the average 4chan user, because nearly every newcomer is going to hear about the site because of those boards and visit those boards first.

No newcomer from say, /r/4chan, is going to head straight over to >>>/po/. Nearly all the users there probably used a different board at some point before realizing that a board dedicated to their hobby existed.
>>
>and they have nobody to blame but themselves.

And he fucking blew it.
All great things come to an end, flood gates just couldn't hold it at a steady pace.
>>
File: feelsgood.jpg (20 KB, 329x357) Image search: [Google]
feelsgood.jpg
20 KB, 329x357
>>583429
Pepe is an odd meme. I remember when it was new. Then it became low-key for a while, then it inexplicably exploded into popularity again even moreso than it was before.

You know what I miss? /v/ before GG and SJWs became a thing. It was shit before, but it was charmingly shit and you could still find good threads. Now it's impossible.
>>
>>584638
>/v/ before GG and SJWs became a thing.

Boy, I sure do love non-stop threads when some random person somehow affiliated with the video game industry tweets some stupid opinions and we get 30 threads on it.
>>
>>583429
Pepe is now considered a meme for white nationalists apparently.

Also the Keke meme made Pepe even more popular
>>
>>584653
Exactly. At least before GG the shitposting was about video games. Now it's about the cancerous culture surrounding video games.
>>
>>584486
>and never advance further
Hue

Maybe it's true for /b/ nowadays, but /pol/ leaks all over the place. There's always some stupid shit making "leftard cucks BTFO praise Trump" threads on /v/ or /int/.
>>
>>584755
WTF are you plebs going on about?

Just like /a/, /b/, and /v/ have always leaked into other boards, /pol/ has finally managed to metastasize.

It's just a function of a board getting big enough to draw in posters from across 4chan. Did you fags honestly think "/pol/ posters" just browse /pol/ and then randomly choose your chosen board to invade?
>>
>>583411
/x/'s problem is that it's always been the board /b/ defaulted to when they wanted to shitpost outside of /b/.

I'm surprised it didn't get shat up earlier desu
>>
>>583715
That didn't work the previous two times, it just made things worse.

Kind of ironic desu.
>>
>>584765
So /a/ or /v/ advance further and are drawn to /pol/, but /pol/ does not advance further and does not get drawn to other boards?

Honestly, I don't even give a flying fuck about all this theorizing of cause and effect. All I want is the constant stream of /pol/shit gone from my homeboards. It's a fact that there's far less outright anime thread OPs than "hey /v/, check out my nigger infographics!" or the latest Trump's tweets. /pol/ is by far the board with the greatest desire to post their interests outside of their own place. They're on the level of fucking ponies at the height of the MLP craze.
>>
>>584789
The worst part is that if you tell them to fuck off they start screaming "SJW! TUMBLR!" [spoiler]which is exactly what SJWs do when they yell "RACIST" at everything[/spoiler]
I don't think that they see the irony.
>>
>>584798
in before somebody posts the comic with the mask
>>
File: joe.jpg (16 KB, 171x233) Image search: [Google]
joe.jpg
16 KB, 171x233
>>584799
Yep, another way that they try to force their "with us or against us" shit. I just want to fucking talk about video games, or comics, or movies, or whatever the fuck without god damn politics getting in the way.
>>
stay in your pond faggot.
>>
>>584789
They all come here talking about how much "influence" they have compared to other boards too.

It's not just that they happen to post images from their homeboard in other places. What they're actually doing is campaigning.
>>
Reading this thread just breaks my heart.

I think that mobile posting should be banned.

That would be a great start.
>>
>>584638
2011 and 2012 /v/ were really really shit but I miss it. /v/ is boring now, same bait threads everyday and endless twitter posting.
>>
>>584959
2012 was already twitter as fuck, but at least you could talk about video games in between all the dubs and tipping. Nowadays it's just endless shitflinging and shill accusations with the quality of discussion hovering around Steam forums.
>>
One thing that I've always believed is that for boards about media is that the longer it takes for media to come out, the worse the board is. Compare /v/ to /a/. /a/ has a steady stream of content to talk about. Every day an anime episode airs, a mange chapter comes out, or a doujin is scanned. This keeps the board healthy. /v/, on the other hand, has large gaps in between game releases. That's why there's so much off topic garbage posters and such a fascination with e-celebrities
>>
>>585060
There's still garbage on the board, look at the thinly veiled generals.
>>
>>585062
The only general on /a/ that I don't get is DJT, that should probably go on /jp/. Other than that, I don't really see the issue.
>>
>>585065
Having 24/7 chat rooms isn't an issue?
>>
>>585060
I sort of agree I guess? But /tv/ is pretty lacking in discussion of new things compared to the volume of TV/film put out on a regular basis.
>>
>>585072
The film to television discussion ratio is pretty skewed on /tv/ but that's because of celebrity gossip
>>
>>584019
Please send to archives. I don't want revisionist telling me old 4chan was about le groupthink contrarianism
>>
File: 4chan.png (53 KB, 622x1076) Image search: [Google]
4chan.png
53 KB, 622x1076
What are you guys talking about? I love the new 4chan!
>>
File: 1453073446410.jpg (131 KB, 1024x651) Image search: [Google]
1453073446410.jpg
131 KB, 1024x651
>>584789
>So /a/ or /v/ advance further and are drawn to /pol/, but /pol/ does not advance further and does not get drawn to other boards?

u wot m8. It's a two way street.

>All I want is the constant stream of /pol/shit gone from my homeboards

The difference between "/pol/ shit" and MLP is that it takes actual time to differentiate what "/pol/ shit" is, unlike pony faggotry which jumps out at anyone browsing the thread.

You'd need a literal army of janitors and mods patrolling every board, every thread 24/7. That's why deleting /pol/ didn't and won't work.

The solution? pic related. Something we should bring back to remind the newfags that ignoring shit that rustles your jimmies, instead of whining about it and shitting up threads 24/7, is the appropriate response.
>>
>>583423
The article is right though. Do you seriously expect anything like Rickrolling or advice animals again?
>>
>>583429
Honestly the popularity of Pepe seems to stem from his huge plasticity. Look how different Feels Good Man, sad Pepe and smug Pepe are. It's far more variable than trollface or even rage faces at whole. And every time it almost dies out, it mutates into something new (like Meme Magick, which is quite frankly one of the best memes on today's 4chan)
>>
>>583534
And loads of frogs help to keep the faggots away!
>>
>>583569
It wasn't the primary subject

4chan is supposed to be a Japanese culture website, not a politics forum
>>
>>583780
Blame the "red pill" and being concentrated too much on being butthurt at other sites while not being concentrated about 4chan instead. It's what caused the seriousness.
>>
>>583941
Kek and meme magick is enough desu
>>
File: 1461081180818.png (324 KB, 1054x748) Image search: [Google]
1461081180818.png
324 KB, 1054x748
>>585325
>4chan is supposed to be a Japanese culture website
more revisionism
>>
File: Upvoted.jpg (21 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
Upvoted.jpg
21 KB, 275x275
>>
>>585370
>14 weeb boards
>1 politics board
Weebs win again :^)

Regardless, I don't like people who use /pol/ for activism. It's faggotry on the same level as chanology.
>>
>>585374
I'm sorry politics triggers you so much. You should really try to stay off the internet until after the American election if you notice yourself becoming angry about it all the time.
>>
File: history lesson.jpg (625 KB, 975x1646) Image search: [Google]
history lesson.jpg
625 KB, 975x1646
>>585370
>>
>>585370
newfags still crusading to make 4chan their safespace from things they don't like.
>>
>>585422
perfect
>>
>Complaining about how old 4chan was better than current 4chan
>Posts maymay the frog and MUH FEELS image.
>>
File: 1428169262357.jpg (13 KB, 201x199) Image search: [Google]
1428169262357.jpg
13 KB, 201x199
>>585470
>he thinks this is a bookstore
>>
>>584653
>>584672
I miss old /v/, it was shit but I left before gamergate and SJWs because of console war shitposting.
Just because I own a PS3 does not mean I worship Sony like some sort of God and abstain myself from owning any other gaming platform that is not a Sony console.
>>
>>585518
lol u din't eben got skol
>>
>>585296
you could reasonably blame a majority of this website's problems on advice dog
>>
>>585376
>LOL 34 VS 14 FAGGOTS, US "non-weebs" DOMINATE!
>"non-weebs" isn't a unified group, your favorite board is actually 1 vs 47, so you lose
>LOL Y SO TRIGGERED?
>>
>>583540
I completely agree. Toyed around with making my own but never got the money to do it (was gonna go Dutch with a guy but he ditched me lol). Built all the software though. Fun project.

But look at smaller *chan sites that don't try to get bigger. They have a culture. They're culturally centralized. They're slower, sure. But if I go on my preferred *chan to talk about it's little interests, I can. And it works.

You can see it in overfragmented you-know-whatchan. In the 2 million generals that form their own cultures (/tg/ has /cyoag/, with its own drama, characters, and content. It's amazing when you think about it).

Anyways I just think it's cool that I've been here 4 years and still come here. Thanks, you guys. I'll never meet you, but I love you.
>>
>>585769
>I love you
No you don't.
>>
>>585771
I never said you needed to reciprocate.
>>
>>584005
>of originality
Nigger we took things from other sites and had fun with them but it was hardly original.
>>
>>585218
>u wot m8. It's a two way street.
No it isn't. /a/ in particular is insular and doesn't want to discuss anime and manga on other boards. /pol/ however wants to discuss their particular creed of religious zealotry everywhere they can and feel as though others ought feel privileged for it. They are like fucking evangelicals.
>>
>>585296
I think you misunderstand. I don't want them.
>>
File: 1440492169086.png (763 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1440492169086.png
763 KB, 800x800
>>584265
Thanks to me. I've been spamming the secret clubhouse board all over 4chins xDDDDD
>>
>>583391
wake me up
>>
>>585518
it's a manga emporium
>>
File: LOL_INTERNET.gif (194 KB, 389x297) Image search: [Google]
LOL_INTERNET.gif
194 KB, 389x297
>>583385
>>
File: Kornheiser Leave.png (240 KB, 330x470) Image search: [Google]
Kornheiser Leave.png
240 KB, 330x470
>>585785
>/a/ is insular
>every game thread on /sp/ is constantly shat up by /a/nons posting anime shit
>>
>>583402
>4chan is shit, but the rest of the internet is so much shittier.
So much lack of self-awareness. This is what happens when people are raised on chan culture.
>>
File: 1463314528751.jpg (88 KB, 677x583) Image search: [Google]
1463314528751.jpg
88 KB, 677x583
>>583549
>>
>>586189
t. underage
>>
File: splash at you.png (156 KB, 577x555) Image search: [Google]
splash at you.png
156 KB, 577x555
>>583402
>it's all politics you guys
>>
>>583534
>Anyone else feel like /r9k/ is becoming closer to old /b/?
what?
no
r9k is basically social media type posts.
>>
>>586080
Yeah, because there's nothing anime fans love more than sports. Can't get enough of it.
>>
>>586080
>go to a website founded on anime and has the entire websites culture dipped in that culture forever
>see someone post anime
>FUCK /A/ FUCK OFF FROM MY BOARD YOU FUCKING WEEABOO THIS IS *MY* BOARD
Dumbass.
>>
well to be fair /co/ is borderline tumblr-lite. it's where /pol/ and /tumblr/ meet.
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 900x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 900x1080
>>584898
fuck off
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 259x253) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 259x253
>>583549
>>
I think one of the main problems is the newfags that are filtered through /b/. All the most recent ones are probably around only 15, so the online world they know is the reposts of reposts of twitter images and so all they do is copy shit and never attempt to do something original or different. They are afraid to do anything out of their unoriginal little comfort zone, which is the complete opposite of how they should force others out of their comfort zones. Now they just stew in their board making the same jokes and posting the same images rather than make something new.

When was the last time we got a great greentext from that shithole?
>>
>>586290
>It's only shitposting when the post contains something I don't like

kys
>>
>>586465
/b/ was never good. I'm relatively new and came by 2009 and all I ever did was moralfagging and it didn't even dip the quality of the threads that much.
>>
>/new/ 2.0 and early /pol/ even had entertaining tripfags and you could have meaningful discussion amidst all the holocaust threads

And it's never coming back. Fucking ZimZam ruined /pol/. That and the LGBT trash arriving about the same time.
>>
>>586470
Ironic that your retort is that when you are bitching about anime and claiming everyone who posts it is from /a/.
>>
File: smug wondy.png (299 KB, 365x532) Image search: [Google]
smug wondy.png
299 KB, 365x532
>>586502
Ironic that your retort is that when you are bitching about political opinions and claiming everyone who posts them is from /pol/
>>
>>583588
But newcommers don't like anime.
>>
The article is partly right. 4chan was just a place to laugh at things and discuss media, hobbies etc under a weeb umbrella. /b/ in particular rose interest because it was general and didn't have a 'weeb entry barrier', and quickly rose to fame as it started pranking sites and people. And that's the key point: old /b/ was about the 'lulz' and anyone and anything was the target. It didn't matter what the underlying cause was so long as it was funny or unusual in some way. Now it's the opposite. Places like /pol/ take a clear partisanship role to attack and invade anything that doesn't fit an agenda and then tries to pass it off under the table as just 'being memayms xD', or at least the idiots that get manipulated into believing that. But the minute a site becomes hugbox for people pushing agendas, it's the minute that the site ceases as a free, open community and becomes just one huge cult-tank. Keeping /pol/ in /pol/ is the first step to prevent this disaster.

>>584364
Indeed, but it's the biggest, loudest and most aggresive shitposters that ultimately set the tone of the board, specially under la or no moderation. It's how echo chambers come to be and why /pol/mblr is so important to those needing the hug box.

>>584019
Please don't. Upload the archive somewhere for historical purposes.

>>584377
I'd love to see these so called 'long list of emails' since moot was notorious for never answering emails, specially from some anon nobody.
>>
>>587001
>I'd love to see these so called 'long list of emails' since moot was notorious for never answering emails, specially from some anon nobody.
I'd love to show it to you, but I'm don't have that yahoomail account anymore, sorry. Are you saying you doubt it really happened because i'm an "anon nobody" ?
>>
>>583453
irrelevant, anyone can rename pictures with a unix timestamp and fake like they're an oldfag
>>
>>587049
>are you really going to doubt the words of an anon on an anonymous image board when he has nothing to prove his statement but his own word when there is evidence that he is most likely bullshitting
What do you think, dumbass?
>>
>>583385
>One of the most influential communities in the history of the internet has never been less relevant or funny, and they have nobody to blame but themselves.
As always, 4chan destroys itself. So many people here have an absolute disregard for other people using the same website as them. These selfish and stupid people are to blame.
>>
>>583481
Mod do 55chan?
>>
>>583540
This shit right here. I don't think I would be so angry about the current state of /g/ if niche threads and topics weren't so hit or miss, I barely make threads anymore because of it, having to babysit somewhat slow threads and bump/samefag them every two or so hours to keep them from going under to make way for the catalog's fifth RX 480 general is really aggravating.

I honestly think we would benefit from an increase in pages to even just 15, ideally 20.
>>
>>583385
>has never been less relevant or funny
who's "relevant on funny" these days that isn't just spamming 4chan memes? The real issue is that normies are not and will never be funny.
>>
>>587060
I think I'm not here to convince you, but your use of the word "dumbass" is quite amusing considering how much you sound like one.
>>
>>587001
>/pol/ is a hugbox
>but sjw hives like /co/ or /lgbt/ somehow aren't
Fuck off sjw
>>
>>587117
Não, por quê diz isso, anão?
>>
>>584019
Please don't delete it. It'd be wonderful if you could send it to Yotsuba Society or bibanon.
Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.