[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
By this point can we agree that 40% of 4chan is at least underage?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1425709660800.jpg (61 KB, 500x424) Image search: [Google]
1425709660800.jpg
61 KB, 500x424
>>
Are there even people from 2003 around still?
>>
At least half
>>
>>571078
ban 40% of this thread

namely him>>571081
>>
>>571078
i'd say 80% on /b/, 70% on /v/ and 45% on /tv/
>>
>>571083
I doubt it
>>
>>571083
I'm still here.
>>
>>571083
there's moot
>>
File: Screenshot_20160609-001113~2.png (802 KB, 1080x690) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160609-001113~2.png
802 KB, 1080x690
>>571087
I'd prefer if I wasn't banned. I won't be underage in 7 years and my brother says I'm really mature for my age.
>>
I'm really not sure if imageboards still attract kids as much as they used to. It's a generation growing up on the social media internet and I'm not sure anonymity has that much appeal to them.
Obviously there's still a lot of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if the average age has gone up.
>>
>>571083
Probably 2 or 3 people.
Now, there are a lot of people from 2004-2007 still here.
>>
>>571104
The former goon squad and outsider friends don't really count.
m00t was never an anon.

>>571124
>and I'm not sure anonymity has that much appeal to them
The way I have experienced it, the area of online anonymity within the youth were pretty much the minority of society whereas nowadays the youth culture online is the majority of society. Things like chatrooms and MSN were popular but it was a lot more mainstream whereas text and imageboards were kind of like newsgroups and the like for the younger users and our cultural exchange was if not entirely independent upon IRL relations.

I'm going to make a stab in the dark guess and suggest that at current the userbase likely has a large and steady influx of young teens whereas the slowly shrinking bread and butter userbase is growing older and older, likely with an average age of around 25. I think the polarising posting style that is ever present on the most populous boards is indicative of this age gap between the two largest poster demographics.

>>571151
2004 myself.
>>
>>571124
>It's a generation growing up on the social media internet and I'm not sure anonymity has that much appeal to them.

Fortunately 4chan is changing to appeal to its new target audience

:^)
>>
Most of 4chan is definitely underaged. It really starts to show once you get a little older.
>>
Does anyone else get the feeling lately that less and less newfags want to "be a part of 4chan" these days and instead want "4chan to be a part of them"?

I know that doesn't make complete sense but it's the easiest way I can think to describe it.
It's like they're only here because they think it's supposed to be cool, and so every single thing they do (or argue in favor of) here is trying to maintain 4chan's "cool" status because they want it to reflect back on them in some way.
Instead of just doing what feels good and fun in the moment.

I honestly think that's the biggest cause of butthurt over trivial things like frog images for example. They literally can't just let it go because they think it makes 4chan, and by extension them, look bad or something.
>>
>>571648
I know I'm only here because telling my friends that I post on 4chan makes me seem really cool.
>>
>>571585
I remember Google used to say "NEVER USE YOUR NAME ONLINE" now they basically try to make you plaster your name everywhere. The internet's changed a lot.

Of course in the early early days everyone did go by their name online, but that's because everyone using the internet was either super knowledgeable or worked in the field. Most of that stuff doesn't even exist anymore.
>>
File: privacy.jpg (218 KB, 1436x674) Image search: [Google]
privacy.jpg
218 KB, 1436x674
>>571654
>Of course in the early early days everyone did go by their name online
I don't remember seeing that at all, unless I went to a news site or something.
From what I remember on even any tech forum or game/hobby forum or IRC there was rarely anyone using their real name, and even if they were it was more like a play on words with just their first name (like "KoolKyle" or some shit). I don't remember seeing any full names being used
>>
>>571659
I'm talking like way back in the 80s, maybe early 90s. Like it wasn't even a concept to go by something other than your name.
>>
>>571661
Interesting. Then it would appear the movie hackers has misled me about the early internet days.
I think I only started using the internet heavily around the time when everyone thought AOL was the internet and you would get all those disks sent to you in the mail that nobody used.
>>
>>571662
No, don't say that. Hackers is 100% factually accurate, literally all computer hackers were fashionable teenagers on rollerblades.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.