[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
4chan image upload
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: question-to-admin.jpg (116 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
question-to-admin.jpg
116 KB, 800x800
How does 4chan alter the uploaded images?

For example, take this image here.

When I upload it to 4chan (just as I did now), 4chan changes the content. The filesize actually gets bigger and the MD5 checksum changes. So when I download it from 4chan it has a different content than the original one at http://i.imgbox.com/CYxDEuzl.jpg

Could the admin or some other knowledgeable person tell me the script (I guess it's some PHP routines) how the images are altered?
>>
I think it just does stuff to prevent abuse or similar things. Like some pictures taken from digital cameras or phones have extra information in them and it strips it out.

There was also something about a bot that would upload malicious images telling people to rename them to ".hta" and run it, so I'd imagine when 4chan it resaves the image it gets rid of things like that.
>>
>>546705
open with paint
save as 24-bit .bmp
rename rar
unzip
>>
>>546705

Understandable. But I would like to know the exact changes/routines.
>>
I've been able to get results consistent with what 4chan does with

jpegtran -copy none
>>
I wish they'd stop doing it. It makes it harder to search for things by hash. Leave it enabled on /soc/ and maybe /b/ and a few others. There's certainly no reason to do it on the image dump boards, especially the cartoon ones.
>>
>>547012
At this point, people are too stupid to not DOX them selves.
Just get out, it saves people from them selves.
>>
>>547013
>people are going to dox themselves on /e/
>>
>>547014
Yes.
I've seen people do it on just about any board I've been to.
What is geolocation data?
Filenames are even dangerous, these idiots post pictures directly from their facebook, with the original file names.
You can do facebook/middle number of pic
and get their real identity.
>>
>>547015
Find me a single image on /e/ that might have contained personal info in the metadata had it not been stripped. Or /c/, /d/, /h/, or /aco/. How often is that going to happen, once a month? Then tell me why we should care. Nobody is scanning those boards looking for people to dox.
>>
>>546949

Holy fuck!!! That seems to work!
>>
>>546949
>>547272
what about with imagemagick, like:
>convert in.jpg out.jpg
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.