[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we get poster ID for /vg/, Hiroyuki? Y'know, that little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: mr dark represent.png (24 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
mr dark represent.png
24 KB, 200x200
Can we get poster ID for /vg/, Hiroyuki? Y'know, that little thing that's a jumble of characters used to identify users-- a feature already implemented on /pol/.

Let me explain my reasoning.

A lot of generals have off-topic shitposting. Often times, janitors don't seem to clean up, either because they can't keep up with it, or they can't be assed to clean up.

The biggest source of this I've seen plays out something like the following: an on-topic anonymous post is made, but someone happens to disagree, so they accuse the other party of being any one of the general's less-liked tripcodes.

I've seen far too many generals shat up with the same 'Trip on, ___' taking up ~200 replies every thread.

Furthermore, in a discussion-based board, it would help to have, since you can maintain a conversation, and not constantly have to worry about confusion about which anonymous poster is playing which part in the conversation, as often times the former tripcode accusing is common, and derails the original, on-topic conversation to shitposting about trips, or sometimes even another anonymous poster claiming to be the one who posted a reply that you previously had, further confusing and derailing the conversation.

By doing this, people can have constructive conversations about on-topic matters while still being able to maintain anonymity. I believe that this would curb both of these problems.

Thoughts?
>>
>>523783
Why doesn't /news/, a board literally meant for serious discussion, have IDs?
>>
>>523786
Why does /pol/, a containment board, have it?

I have not been to /news/ until today. They perhaps could use it, but I bring up /vg/ in particular for two reasons.

First off, it's one I'm familiar with, and confident in my opinion enough to make a thread about it.

Second off, most long-running generals have a fair few frequenters. It's basically the same thread every time, with the same frequent posters, right? This quality of /vg/ makes IDs easier to identify (less IDs to recognize) and therefore easier to use.

Holding certain identities accountable, again, would be helpful for users attempting to point shit out to moderators, and make things easier for moderators to therefore dole out more fitting/consistent punishments.
I apologize. Sometimes I get sidetracked, so I am sorry I ended up using your question as a springboard. In short, /vg/ is what I know, and /vg/, I feel, is in desperate need of it.

If you feel a similar way about /news/, if you posted a topic explaining how it'd help the board in greater detail, I would be more than happy to read it and possibly back you up.
>>
No fuck off.

The reason there is shitposting and off topic discussion is because they are general threads and some people have been part of generals for years.

It's a feature of generals.
>>
Fuck no
>>
>>523783
You talk like Hiro doesn't know what an ID is, when 2ch has had IDs on every board since 2ch fucking started.
>>
>>523836
I explained it, just to clarify what I meant-- I was unsure if I was using the correct official terminology for it.

>>523834
Constant derailing and off-topic meme shitposting is a feature?

Well, if that is the case, certainly cannot say I see why it would be desirable. Please explain.

>>523835
Do you have anything constructive to add? If you are strongly opposed enough to voice your opinion, surely you have a reason? Please let me know why you feel strongly, so we can have a meaningful discussion about it.
>>
>>523841
I wouldn't be opposed to IDs if they change based on IP, thread, and every 24 hours.
Like in 2ch.
>>
>>523841
Anonymous posting is the best feature of 4chan. Removing that is bad and makes the whole thing inferior.

The whole idea you have of attaching reputation and identifying posters is everything that 4chan isn't meant to be,

And yes generals do devolve into cancer. The best way to fix that is for people to leave the general when it gets to that stage and let it die a natural death
>>
No, I want to be Anonymous. That's what 4chan is all about.

No IDs, no flags. Just Anonymous.
>>
>>523841
If you don't want to be anonymous go find an IRC channel or subreddit or forum for whatever you want to discuss.
>>
>>523849
It's like you don't even know what IDs are.
>>
>>523843
That is a fair suggestion. It prevents certain anonymous users from being singled out, while still helping users and moderators deal with situations. At the very least, it'd slow a few of them down.

While a static ID is what I would aim for, your idea has very strong merits of its own, and I respect that.

>>523849
A distinct lack of moderation in /vg/ is a trend I have noticed, even with individuals constantly posting the same shitty post ~50 times per thread.

Since generals can wildly in post content from one another, this would be a useful tool to help generals self-moderate.

To both >>523849 and >>523852 :

Would a unique, unpronounceable string of characters truly give you an identity? Most people will forget/not bother to recognize your ID, unless you are A: already a well known tripcode user in the general or B: consistently do the same shitpost, consistently across threads.

Remember how much foot traffic /vg/ gets. It is unreasonable to believe your ID will be memorized unless you have done something particularly annoying or stupid to be worth remembering.

If you do not consistently derail and shitpost, what do you have to be worried about? If you have an answer that makes sense, I would gladly receive it.
>>
>>523861
You pretty much asked for

>Second off, most long-running generals have a fair few frequenters. It's basically the same thread every time, with the same frequent posters, right? This quality of /vg/ makes IDs easier to identify (less IDs to recognize) and therefore easier to use.

>Holding certain identities accountable, again, would be helpful for users attempting to point shit out to moderators, and make things easier for moderators to therefore dole out more fitting/consistent punishment

No. I don't want that in anyway.
Don't try and force your shit on anyone else.
>>
>>523783
Fuck off, ID shills. Stop trying to get rid of anonymity that makes 4chan special.

Somewhere else might be more your speed.
>>
>>523862
>If you do not consistently derail and shitpost, what do you have to be worried about?

It's not about that. I don't see why things like IDs which are completely alien to what 4chan should be about and the one thing that makes 4chan good should be forced upon us.

A static ID is pretty much a username.
>>
I agree, a static ID is a bad idea.
Like I said, 2ch has had IDs that depend on IP address, thread and are reset every 24 hours since they've started, and they haven't had any problems with them AND they value anonymity even more than westerners.
>>
>>523868
It is a feature that 4chan's predecessor, 2ch has had, and it has not significantly affected them at all.

It's already a thing on /pol/. Why is adding it to /vg/ in particular bothering you?

>>523869
Okay, the consensus seems to be, at the very least, a static ID is not a popular idea.

Directing our attention to this post: >>523843

Would this change the dynamic?
>>
>>523869
>>523877

I have noted, that, reading a little deeper into context, you are probably the one who suggested 2ch style IDs in the first place. I apologize for the superfluous redirection.
>>
>>523877
Another thing, OP: some western textboards that use an ID system also don't display an ID when the poster uses sage. That could also be viable and encourage the use of sage.
>>
it's not that crazy an idea

i wouldn't be surprised some tripfags respond to themselves to get more attention, this would uncover them
>>
>>523877
Yeah and 2ch also is entirely text. Why not remove images then? You can also respond to ancient threads as long as they haven't reached the post limit.

4chan has drastically differed from 2ch and has a different culture and different userbase.

I don't give a shit about /pol/.

You haven't come up with a compelling reason for such a drastic change that can't really be solved with "this general has become cancer and it's time to leave".

The only issue here is people forcing generals with little left to discuss to survive too long and resort to off topic shitposting and fostering a general culture to force the general to survive.
>>
>>523891
literally slippery slope
>>
How do IDs work on 4chan anyway? Are they the same on the entire board or based on the IP AND thread being posted on? Do they change after X hours?
>>
>>523894
The whole "it's a feature 2ch has" is a really shit argument and I'm just giving it the respect it deserves.

Besides removing images would get rid of a whole lot of shit like frog posting, shitty reaction images and bait images.
>>
>>523862
>If you have an answer that makes sense, I would gladly receive it.
I just don't want an ID. That's the answer you'll get from me. I don't have to explain myself.
>>
>>523898
IP and thread.
>>
Why don't we add interstitial ads on links? It's a feature 2ch has.
>>
Can we add upvotes too? It's a feature that 4chan's direct predecessor, 2chan, has.
>>
>>523899
You're right, what I was saying is that they've had no problem all these years with IDs, and they don't conflict with anonymity, as they aren't permanent/global.

Also I agree, if mods actually did their job they'd delete those pics as they're clearly offtopic (and even stated to be against the rules). If your image doesn't have anything to do with your post then it should go, but I guess it's far too late to go against """culture""".
>>
>>523909
It's called Futaba, and they only added a Yeah! button to prevent retards from posting shit like "This" "I agree" "QUOTED FOR TRUTH" "Same lol" etc. like it happens so often here in 4chan.

See, it's all about context.
>>
>>523891
Perhaps we have different experiences from different generals. I will give an example from my experience.

One of the generals I frequent that I feel would benefit from some sort of ID, Dueling Network General, is about the trading card game Yu-Gi-Oh!. The game is not dead, there are still new releases. There are still things to discuss, as new content is still constantly being given to players of the game.

It's not like the case with, say, /lisg/, /ksg/, or anything similar. Yes, some generals shitpost to survive because there is no new content being generated. It is, again, a game with a thriving competitive scene.

And yet, the two issues I have previously mentioned are incredibly notable, with what I assume to be a few shitposters drowning out people attempting to actually discuss the subject matter.

My question is, how does adding IDs to generals affect you, as an individual? It is not unheard of for a board to have changes made to its structure, much less a relatively new board.

In short, for what reason are you so strongly opposed to something that does not even change the fact you are, indeed, anonymous?
>>
>>523915
So you're agreeing it would help 4chan and we should do it?
>>
>>523910
In my experience on /vg/ and on the generals I go on the mods delete eveything that needs to be deleted right away.

Maybe my generals just aren't shit?

Also part of your stated aim from your earlier posts is that IDs will make it easier to identify posters and get mods to ban them (mods already have their own ways of recognising people anyway). So doesn't it go against what you want
here
>>523827
>Second off, most long-running generals have a fair few frequenters. It's basically the same thread every time, with the same frequent posters, right? This quality of /vg/ makes IDs easier to identify (less IDs to recognize) and therefore easier to use.

>Holding certain identities accountable, again, would be helpful for users attempting to point shit out to moderators, and make things easier for moderators to therefore dole out more fitting/consistent punishments.

The thing with the 2ch ids is that they're really easy to get around if you want to. So basically you'll do nothing to stop the people you want to stop while forcing shit onto everyone else
>>
>>523917
I thought you were being sarcastic.

>>523918
I was >>523910 and I'm not OP.
Heh, maybe IDs would make conversations less difficult.
>>
>>523916
Because it's complete against everything I like about 4chan and it's a trend in a bad direction that is an overreaction to a problem that can be dealt with otherwise.
>>
>>523922
A randomly generated hash doesn't go against anonymity at all, unless they were global or something.
>>
>>523926
It does though. Even if it's just in the one thread.

Even that shitty poster count on the bottom right is a fucking eyesore
>>
>>523928
You'd be right if we considered some kind of "anonymity percentage". Even like that, IDs based on IP and thread would barely affect it.
>>
>>523932
Then why implement it?

Like every other shitty gimmick that gets introduced it won't improve anything.
The thread is shit because the posters are shit and the posters are going to be the same regardless of any easy bypassed thing like 2ch thread IDs.

The price for anonymity on 4chan is that it's harder to moderate and easier for people to much around and hide their identities.
But that's a more than acceptable price.

If you disagree then well 4chan probably isn't the place for you. I'm sure there are other places to discuss Yu gi oh
>>
>>523944
Wait, OP here, are you going to bring something that I said about YGO into your discussion with another individual?

It is not an unprecedented thing. It is simply adding one board feature we already have to /vg/.

/dng/ is not the only general I have seen affected. Should I write up something about how much it affects /ss13g/?

As a /vg/ poster, how does this affect you? Or are you arguing merely on a matter of principle, and it actually has no bearing on you?
>>
>>523959
It would drastically reduce the pleasure I get from taking part in /vg/ threads (and not in a I won't be able to shitposit way) and probably drive me off the board

As it probably would to other people which means they'd all go back to /v/ which would destroy the whole point of /vg/ in the first place.

Plus the principals thing.
>>
>>523964
principles*
>>
>>523827
>If you feel a similar way about /news/, if you posted a topic explaining how it'd help the board in greater detail, I would be more than happy to read it and possibly back you up.
Well, I don't feel like it really needs it, since it's too slow for many shitposters, and the ones we have mainly make threads about it that smart people ignore, but it seems like a good idea to prevent samefagging just in case.
>>
>>523783
How about you just fuck off to whatever traditional forum you came instead? No boards on 4chan need IDs and IDs only create even more shitposting.
>>
>>523827
>Why does /pol/, a containment board, have it?
>/pol/
>containment board
Opinion discarded.
>>
fuck off /dg/
>>
>>523783
Why not just add fucking usernames and avatars to /vg/ also?
Would you also like upvotes?
>>
>>523864
>Stop trying to get rid of anonymity that makes 4chan special.
The existence of a board dedicated to generals already violates the concept of 4chan to its very core.
>>
>>523864
>this triggers the /pol/
>>
At least add flags to all boards so we can see once and for all that the biggest shit posters are from Australia and Canada.
>>
>>525114
>>>/reddit/

Why do you fucks come here and try to force the ONE place on the Internet not like other forums to be like other forums? If you don't like the style here then just go away. You are the kid who comes down to play while we're all playing football and starts throwing a tantrum cos you want us to all go sit inside and play vidya
>>
>>525206
>You are the kid who comes down to play while we're all playing football and starts throwing a tantrum cos you want us to all go sit inside and play vidya
Normalfag detected.
>>
>>525268
>>>/wizchan/
>>
>>525206
>muh 4chan special snowflake!

it's an imageboard, you drooling troglodyte. there's probably hundreds more, this one's just the most popular in western territories. it doesn't change the 'style' at all. you are using the reddit buzzword to demean the opposer in an argument simply because you do not have a reason other than 'fuck you, my special snowflake feelings'

i will say to you a series of words i have not had to say for many years

fuck off back to gaia you fuckin' weenie
>>
>>525483
Reddit is used when people come to 4chan and display reddit characteristics.

Also you try to have some meta analysis of my argument when you resort to "muh special snowflake". Why doesn't reddit get rid of up and down voting? It's integral to the website's purpose. Anonymity is the whole fucking point of this website you genuinely retarded fuck.
>>
File: 1184494201573.jpg (34 KB, 424x423) Image search: [Google]
1184494201573.jpg
34 KB, 424x423
Thread theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlWrTui_jQ
>>
>>525647
Reddits are normals
Normals want to play football
4chan is nerds
Nerds wants to play vidya
Ergo, you are the reddit.
>>
File: 1265333411533.gif (1 MB, 300x224) Image search: [Google]
1265333411533.gif
1 MB, 300x224
>hiro, halp me "prove" i'm not samefagging from multiple ip addresses
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.