[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've talked with mods on IRC a few times over the years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: 1462080950062.jpg (64 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1462080950062.jpg
64 KB, 500x375
So I've talked with mods on IRC a few times over the years and the impression I get is that there isn't any system that tells them what mod/janitor is deleting what. If you ask them what a mod or janitor was thinking they won't know because they have no idea who did what. Why? It's like you're going out of your way to make sure a mod or janitor can't be held responsible for their actions and insure that they can just do whatever they want.
>>
>>519709
That's just the way it was made. They aren't going to build in extra functionality just to appease sperglords who get buttmad when mods crack down on them but not on other people. This is not the government and mods don't have any more accountability than regular users do.
>>
File: whocares.jpg (27 KB, 486x353) Image search: [Google]
whocares.jpg
27 KB, 486x353
the world isn't going to end because your post got deleted or you got banned.
>>
>>519722
Regular users can't delete other peoples posts. The extra responsibility should include extra accountability.

>>519726
I'm not the only one who gets posts unjustly deleted.
>>
>>519738
>The extra responsibility should include extra accountability.
According to whom?
>>
>>519741
According to basic logic that if you're a shitty mod who does stupid shit that you're a shitty mod who shouldn't keep doing it.
>>
Seems like it's part of the "we've all got to be anonymous here" attitude of this site. That's why complete anonymity is bullshit.
>>
>>519746
How mad are you right now?
>>
>>519751
>Ask a question
>Answer
>lol u mad

I'm pretty mad that you're retarded, does that count?
>>
>>519752
That counts, yes.
>>
File: 1336935112207.jpg (67 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1336935112207.jpg
67 KB, 640x480
>>519754
Is it wrong to be mad at stupid people?
>>
>>519757
You have to be smart to be able to judge who is stupid. Are you smart?
>>
>>519758
Smarter than you, at least.
>>
>>519759
That isn't an answer to the question.
>>
>>519760
I'm going to stop talking to you now.
>>
Most mods/janitors do stupid shit because they're too lazy to do things the right way.

You shouldn't apply for these positions if you're not going to do the job. You definitely shouldn't keep the position if you're only in it to abuse it.
>>
>>519761
It's because you're too stupid to be judging whether other people are.

>>519766
Mods do things the right way. The only people who don't think so are people who are buttoutraged over getting banned.
>>
>>519709
That is wrong though. The moderation staff can be held responsible for their actions with logs. They just don't have them open 24/7 beause there is no need to. Where is your epic oldfag proof that you even talk to any mod?
>>
>>519769
It's really not that hard to believe that someone could hop on IRC and talk to a mod.
>>
File: 1455858079172.gif (446 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
1455858079172.gif
446 KB, 300x186
>>519766
>>
>>519774
They're supposed to ban everyone from the channel who says something and isn't a mod or a janitor, so yeah it really is pretty hard to believe.
>>
>>519784
Wut
>>
File: 1254976087412.jpg (381 KB, 1407x819) Image search: [Google]
1254976087412.jpg
381 KB, 1407x819
Thread theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4upQrkM3d0
>>
>>519709
How do they know which mod/janitor is abusing then? Surely they have a way to figure it out, otherwise a rogue mod could delete tons of stuff without being found out which is stupid.
>>
>>519795
Maybe they only care to investigate when it affects them.
>>
>>519768
>Mods do things the right way
That is objectively false. The mods on my board have openly admitted in the past that due to how few of them there are they can't be assed to constantly monitor certain threads for rulebreaking content, and so have outright banned those threads for simply having the tendency to invite such posts, which any thread can do just the same.

But that wasn't the problem at all. A huge number of it is false flagging and abuse of the report system by butthurt autists who have personal problems with the threads. All it takes is one faggot who thinks he's in the right to constantly destroy a thread and ban evade to keep doing it. But rather than get rid of these users or let them exhaust themselves on a fruitless effort, they just acquiesce to their whims and remove what's making them act out instead so they don't have to deal with it anymore.

That's lazy moderation and it is a serious problem for the rest of the community who do follow the rules.
>>
File: 1453342944648.png (3 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1453342944648.png
3 MB, 1920x1200
>>519801
Well spoken anon.
>>
>>519709
holy shit thats trippy.
also i completely agree if thats the case, if there was a system in place, shit mods could be deleted more easily. and also new mods could be hired more easily, since if they hire one, then sperg the fuck out, they can just delete them. the staff team could double within weeks if this system was in place.
>>
File: 1433805046104.jpg (12 KB, 199x253) Image search: [Google]
1433805046104.jpg
12 KB, 199x253
>>519709
http://www.4chan.org/news?all#114
>Our moderation tools were overhauled. The report queue and appeals interface were rewritten from scratch, resulting in more efficient processing of reports and appeals. The perception that moderation has increased in the past few months is due to moderators and janitors having access to these superior tools, and not any policy changes. Appeals are now processed within hours as opposed to days or weeks, and many of the ban templates have been reduced to 1-3 day board-specific bans. In addition, our moderator and janitor activity log viewer was rewritten to increase oversight. We also audited and removed a number of old spam filters, IP range bans, and country blocks.

https://www.4chan.org/janitorapp
>Accountable: All moderation actions are logged and reviewed.

u are a fool, op. a fool.
>>
>>519843
If it is logged apparently it's not in a way that's not in a pain in the ass to check. It should be
>Hey mod, whats with this janitor who is clearly hanging out in this shitpost thread not doing his job properly
>I'll look into it and reprimand him
Instead its always
>Hey mod, whats with this janitor who is clearly hanging out in this shitpost thread not doing his job properly
>I dunno lol
>>
>>519844
they probably just say that so people don't spam requests demanding to know why some dumb thread was deleted
>>
>>519849
But sometimes that is a perfectly valid complaint.
>>
>>519849
>It's ok, we're only corrupt because we're lazy and obnoxious.

Kill yourself, animal-fucker
>>
>>519709
Well this explains some retarded shit that's been going on as of late. They can't deal with our out of control janitor because they don't know who he is?
>>
>>519843
Logs don't mean shit if nobody's reading them.
>>
>>519875
Its like real life but more transparent.

Revolution when?
>>
>>519784
You either entered the real private moderation channel and did not get kicked or you went on the public channel where there wasn't a real mod in ages.
>>
>>519875
There can be no corruption when everyone "does it for free" as you 8gaggers like to say :^)
>>
>>519843
I once used a hijacked mod account for months before my access was cut off. Granted it was before this overhaul of the tools, but you'll have to forgive me if I don't believe them when they say they review moderator actions.
>>
>>522005
Cool story bro.
>>
>>519709
I like potatoes
>>
>>522007
The Putnam threads I stickied on /sci/ are probably still in the archive, and I collected the stuff at http://j.vyrd.net/.

It's not like I can ban you now, though; I haven't had access for a long time.

Not everyone who breaches 4chan's security is going to immediately make a scene like that Aussie guy did. There are probably other breaches nobody knows about because they just silently collected data and nothing more.
>>
Because isn't it much more likely that they can check to find out, but doesn't care to do it for you? Like, on command? Like, your command?
>>
Surely Hiro can find out stuff like this?
>>
Nah, if there were such accountability then the sjws would have really taken this place over long, long ago.
>>
>>522131
What's the point of having the ability if they don't use it to help out users and improve moderation?
>>
>>522410
On a case by case basis? The guy asking seems like a whiner and complaining because his butt became hurt.
>>
>>522413
Normally you wouldn't ask a mod for information if you weren't annoyed by something in the first place. So your'e basically just limiting the cases to the people who don't need it or wouldn't ask anyway.
>>
>>519844
That's because the system of anonymous janitors and mods means that the ones in the IRC channel are reluctant to ever give out information on others.
Which does suck because abuse or poor moderating does happen, people are wrongfully banned, appeal on IRC, then are rebanned for even longer. The only way to talk to the mod responsible is to use the built-in appeal which is slow, ineffective, and is a one shot communication method that can be denied without explanation, a massive problem especially when appealing frivolous ban evasion bans.
Without a fair system of appeal, the user loses faith in the staff and just hops on a phone in order to ban evade. Actually, a mobile connection or dynamic IP is the only way they can be sure their own anonymity isn't violated.
>>
>>519709
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.