[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All memes aside, what do you think of autistic people? Especially
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: Autism1.jpg (962 KB, 1851x1851) Image search: [Google]
Autism1.jpg
962 KB, 1851x1851
All memes aside, what do you think of autistic people? Especially the higher functioning ones.
>>
>>505111
I think that it is unfortunate that their parents still haven't aborted them. The brain is still a long way off forming so it could probably get through the courts to allow the parents to excise the malformed cretin. It would be pretty hard to argue that it is developed enough to be considered "human".
>>
>>505111
Highly annoying people to be friends with.
Even if you have an incredible amount of patience, hanging out with them is a huge drain on your psyche.

And unless they get therapy to handle their autistic traits of OCD and social retardation, they're doomed to live fulfilling lives.
>>
>>505117
Think I confused asperger with high functioning
>>
I am autistic.
The lower-functioning ones were once thought by psychiatrists to be in the same class as schizophrenia. Before that they were thought as retarded. Then it was realized what they really are.

Most Low Functioning autists have low IQ or actual retardation. However strange enough it is possible for them to have an above average IQ but still act just as retarded.

This shocked scientists which sparked a huge awareness movement for autism.

When Low Functioning autsits were presented with advanced problems in calculus, the vast majority couldn't do shit but some of them were able to solve it. Those intelligent ones describe autism as if they had no control of their bodies, they were like stephen hawking except instead of being immobile their bodies moved on its own. It is very similar to schizophrenia in that sense at least, as well as the fact that loud noises are traumatizing because the brain amplifies all sensory in autistic people by a huge amount.

For high-functioning autists, this is the disorder that's 1 in 68, low functioning autism is much more rare but they use 1 in 68 because low functioning autism needs much more awareness. High Functioning autism is just a bunch of faggots who wear fedoras and hold samurai swords and pretend they are in an anime IRL. They make up 1 in 68 of the population I hate them.
>>
All of 4chan is autistic, they might as well make a board called /tard/ where we can release our inner autism.

But in all seriousness I don't mind them, it's the severe ones like the ones you see at Disneyland flapping their arms about in a wheelchair that I have a problem with.

And this is coming from somebody who has Aspergers.
>>
>>505118
>>505117

Asperger's is a type of high functioning autism. I have schizotypal/schizophrenia which has all the OCD and social retardation, you don't talk as retarded but you often say weird ass shit so people think i'm insane, which legally speaking, i am. I've never tried to kill anyone or myself yet so I'm not required to take medication though, However, it is the only mental disorder in america where you can be legally forced to take medication if you need to.
>>
>>505126
>it's the severe ones like the ones you see at Disneyland flapping their arms about in a wheelchair that I have a problem with
Why? Those are the easiest ones to trick into getting into the van.
>>
>>505126
As i explained in >>505121
the one's flapping their arm usually realize that they are being a retard and they don't like it, they hate themselves for it. They are always conscious of when they have their bursts of rage and they do it because something about being stuck in the body of a retard pisses them off. Unlike asperger's low functioining austism is a self control disorder too, in fact i don't even know why the two are considered part of the same spectrum.

Low Functioining is an actual disorder that causes huge issues and pain for everyone involved

High Functioing autsim just mean you browse /v/ frequently

That's the best way to define them both.
>>
>>505111
I suspect I'm one of the high functioning autists, but haven't been diagnosed.

I think they're responsible for a lot of the arguing that goes on where neither side seems to be able to just drop it.
I have that problem myself, it's like an obsession with removing all contradiction in the world. I'm one of those guys that end up taking friendly fire because I'll tell someone on my side of the argument why their wrong and then everyone assumes I'm the enemy.

Even when I see what it's doing to the thread and wish I could stop, I often can't. I've been trying to avoid those situations altogether and just shitpost anytime I feel like I'm about to get into an internet battle instead.

>>505117
>they're doomed to live fulfilling lives.
kek

>>505126
>they might as well make a board called /tard/ where we can release our inner autism.
>>>/s4s/
>>
>>505151
You wouldn't know if you were a high functioning autist.
>>
>>505180
Right, I don't know, I haven't been diagnosed.
>>
>>505183
No I mean you're so autistic so out of touch with reality you wouldn't physically know what you are or what is even going on around you.
>>
>>505185
That's full blown autism. Not high functioning autism.
Usually you hear "you wouldn't know if you had high functioning autism" because they're so close to being perfectly normal you almost can't tell the difference. They function properly in society with jobs, families, and social lives.
>>
>>505115
Edgy
>>
File: are we not men.jpg (43 KB, 398x400) Image search: [Google]
are we not men.jpg
43 KB, 398x400
HE WAS A MONGOLOID
HAPPIER THAN YOU AND ME!
>>
>>505111
My lifetime friend has high functioning autism, cool guy,

Aldo nice trips
>>
They tend to be very rude. I hate rudeness. As long as they, and neurotypicals, follow basic etiquette, I have no problem.
>>
>>505111
full aspie here
i've met lots of autistic people before. some ok, some annoying. if i count myself, who i hate, then it's more of a no thx
>>
>>505370
I've never seen anyone else express thid opinion, but does someone else find the word aspie just extremely condescending euphemism?
>>
Why are some autists so full of self-loathing
>>
File: burger.jpg (7 KB, 188x268) Image search: [Google]
burger.jpg
7 KB, 188x268
>>505454

Autist here.

We always get lumped in with the fat special ed kids who scream and flail their arms and pee their pants or the trench coat wearing neckbeards with a collection of $20 katanas, so being autistic is a very not-desirable thing.

Then there's the fact that being an autist makes random parts of life difficult for no real reason. Like, for example, I get extremely mad very easily and break things and scream, and then I hate myself for weeks (years of therapy have barely helped). And I can't hold a conversation without slurring my speech, making weird gestures uncontrollably, or getting distracted and being overall uncomfortable to be around. The self-aware autists like myself end up being feeling like huge outcasts, because despite our bests efforts, we can't control going full sperg, so we control everything to avoid embarrassing ourselves or looking like autists because we know we'll be judged for it. So we shun other autists by default and have nobody to relate to. Which is why I like 4chan, because other people with legit issues can talk without having to care what other people think.

Most of those autistic savants of the arts and sciences you see as kids like David Byrne and Albert Einstein end up getting some intensive counseling so that they can work in their respective fields as normal, if somewhat eccentric, adults.
>>
>>505464
THIS
>>
>>505464
Yeah, even then most higher-functioning autists don't get really interested in things that society is willing to pay out the nose for like economics or science. It's more often just video games or anime.
So really, the only popular perceptions of autists is drooling retards who can only communicate in moans and screams and quirky geniuses that act like characters from the Big Bang Theory.
>>
>>505121
>>505135
High Functioning Autists suck, too, just not nearly as bad as the low ones.
I don't browse /v/, I don't own a fedora, and yes, I am a bit upset.
>>
>>505450
I hate this, and I have Asperger's.
>>
>>505111
They shouldnt be allowed in the internet. There is one on /asp/ called Carter who literally has over 20 trips and sits there talking to himself with them, he has been doing this for years and has been caught out many times
>>
>>505632
Is Netjester on /asp/?
>>
>>505677
Who is Netjester
>>
>>505450
actually, according to scientists, there's no such thing as asperger but since everyone knows what it means, i use it
>>
>>505111
Stupid people are stupid, but now we have all of these wonderful labels so stupid people are actually made to feel special for having a crippling mental disorder instead of being shunned for it. Modern society literally went full retard, and everyone's proud of this.
>>
>>505756
Wow, you have no idea what you are talking about
Fucking imbecile
>>
>>505763
Go coddle your autistic child and keep trying to convince yourself that you wouldn't have clubbed it to death if it was socially acceptable
>>
>>505764
Be careful with that edge bro
>>
>>505756
Autistic people are not stupid
>>
Mild autism is the only thing that keeps moving our society forward.

That being said, an autistic person once threw a chair at me for no reason, so I try to keep my distance.
>>
File: 767645.png (11 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
767645.png
11 KB, 640x640
>>505756
looks like someone got beaten in skills by some autist
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 560x563) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 560x563
The best type of person is one that has autistic ways but keeps the crippling depression of being known to think differently to them selves.

Hiding the outbursts from your irl friends and having somewhere to do this is what should be focused on by the autismo's in question but why the community finds them interesting should be discussed this month of all months because we May just all up and leave when the end of the month cones to a point.
>>
File: edgy101.jpg (58 KB, 640x416) Image search: [Google]
edgy101.jpg
58 KB, 640x416
>>505764

fucking hell m8
>>
File: 1455318594680.jpg (130 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455318594680.jpg
130 KB, 1920x1080
>diagnosed with autism at age 2
>thought I was perfectly normal throughout life
>discover what autism was in the 4th grade
>was a giant germophobe back then
>meanwhile, this ugly fucker who also had autism picked his nose relentlessly and I gagged whenever I thought about it, along with flailing his arms relentlessly whenever he got excited and was an overall embarassment
>graduate 5th grade a year later
>never see him throughout middle school
>live in peace throughout the first 9th grade semester
>see him back during the second semester
>he still picks his nose and generally acts like a retard, but this time he wipes his boogers all over the bus seat and makes a wall of green
>look back at the fact that I have autism
>mfw I have something in common with such degeneracy
>>
>>505756
>Implying we're proud of being social retards
We're not.
""""Aspie pride"""" is fucking stupid and I hate it.
>>
>>505632
>They shouldnt be allowed in the internet.
Agreed. All autists ITT should be perma-banned. Not even joking about this, these people destroy 4chan.
>>
>>505973

But I have Asperger's and I contribute meaningful discussion to threads.

Spare me.
>>
>>505111
achu batsu
>>
>>505974
I need to see your post history first.

Seriously, ALL shitposters and trolls are autists. Barneyfag has some sort of autism, the people he hates are very likely autists too. People who spam boards with garbage all the time? They have autism. Annoying and repetitive behaviour is a clear signs of autism.
>>
>>505111
Most people don't know what austism is. I don't think most of 4chan is autistic, they are just bored fucks passing the time away.
>>
>>505973
>>505978
4chan was made for autists dumb normalfag
>>
>>506003
It was made to discuss anime and was never autistic until the later years...
>>
>>506007
Aniem and autism go hand in hand
>>
>>505111
>tfw trannies and gays are more accepted in society than autists
Life is unfair
>>
>>506036
Probably because they're more understood than autists.
>>
Is it me or is 4chan the ideal place for autists to develop their social skills?
You seem to respond "normally" to the extent I wouldn't have thought any different, usually
>>
>>506067
Actually I think it's just the opposite.

Anonymity gives you a whole bunch of extra options that don't normally exist in conversation.
I think anonymity helps people with social problems a great deal because it removes most of the more difficult aspects of it.

Knowing that everyone is only able to judge you, and even each other, based only on the content of each post, pretty much eliminates all of the most difficult obstacles in social interaction. That's probably what everyone likes about it too, even non-autists, but I would imagine it helps autists even more so.
(and this is why everyone hates tripfags, since they restore some of those levels of social complication just by posting)

But, like I said, that probably just worsens their social issues. If they don't naturally understand social situations well they need to be exposed to it a lot to keep up, and giving them a place where they can be free of those complications just makes them fall back into bad habits I think.
>>
>have high functioning autism
>still bad enough to not fit in with kids at school
>parents start fighting a lot and split up when I'm 6 or 7
>suddenly both mom and dad's place are always filled with talking about how bad the other parent is
>now I don't fit in at home either
>desperately want to fit in somewhere
>start paying attention to social queues
>take note of what emotion and words elicit what reactions
>get it down to a science
>good enough in early high school to make friends
>by mid-high school I'm good enough to fit in regularly
>feels like I cured myself of the social pitfalls of autism

It hit me the other day that I became a savant in social interaction. It's hard to explain, but I exhibit emotions without feeling them in conversations. Well, I mean, no, that's not right. I've always felt emotions, but I've never been able to line them up with the correct responses in social environments until mid to late high school. It's really hard to explain. Just like a person with perfect pitch can't tell you how they know what pitch a note is, I can't properly explain why I'm good in social situations but still suffer from the other symptoms of high functioning autism like slower learning capacity. One of my friends in high school even asked why I would sometimes go to the disability help office (or whatever it was called) because he didn't know what disability I had, if any.

I thought it was useless and thought my life would be a total waste, but I recently found out I'm really good at acting. Like, really good. Every coach and professional has said they're really impressed and think I'm natural. I guess I am, because acting on the mic or the stage is no different than how I speak to people every day. There's literally no difference to me. So now I'm pursuing professional voice acting, and so well it's going great.

tl;dr - Under certain circumstances, autists can be fine, but despite being a savant in social interactions, I still make autistic blogposts.
>>
>>506145
>slower learning capacity
Aspergs don't have that.
Not me, anyway.
I just can't talk to people.
>>
>>506145
>I've always felt emotions, but I've never been able to line them up with the correct responses in social environments until mid to late high school.
Same here. But I still have that issue and I'm 27.

I have to fake the emotion, but I don't feel bad about it because I know I'll probably feel it for real later when I'm alone, it just literally doesn't even register any emotion whatsoever when I'm having the conversation.
I swear I could be talking to someone telling me my dad died and I wouldn't feel a thing, I'd probably have to pretend to cry, until they leave me alone, then it would become real.
>>
>>506145
I used to be terrified of public speaking until I realized I'm not trapped in a room with everyone listening to me, everyone's trapped in a room having to listen to me.
>>
>>506156
Apply that to something useful. At the risk of sounding edgy, people are a distraction. If you really apply yourself at something without the need or want for interaction, you could go really far.

>>506160
I'm the exact same way.

>>506162
kek that's a good way of thinking about it.

On another note, I forgot to mention how much I hate people being offended at the word "retarded". It's never bothered me that much if it's used as an adjective or a throwaway insult. I may literally have autism, but even before I became good in social situations I was able to tell when something was directed towards me or not. What's worse is that "retarded" doesn't even fall under the social rule "If you're from the group of people a slur is referring to, you can say that slur without consequence".
>>
>>506067
i learned my "social skills" all by myself because i had noone to take care of me like most autists do and life forces you to adapt
>>
>>506188
bu that i of course meant that 4chan had nothing to do with it
in case i haven't made myself clear
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.