[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have been thinking. Is one of the fundamental problems with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: I wish to die.jpg (98 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
I wish to die.jpg
98 KB, 960x640
I have been thinking. Is one of the fundamental problems with 4chan is that too many people end up spending too much time on here, like at least daily visits and posts? After all, the website began with a small fraction of the current number of boards and they covered much less niches. I am sure other boards came to be as people visited very often and would discuss niche subjects on /b/ (I have heard that this is where proto-/co/ was). This is conjecture because I have only been going on here relatively recently, where most of today's boards already existed.

To bring up a point more related to today, there are the many generals that are found throughout that boards. In spite of moot's original feelings about them and ideas to ban them, they have stayed and ultimately shaped the ways of 4chan. Over time, however, generals tend to become more and more off-focus as the same people visit them so often; this is why over time they may become waifufag circlejerks, shitpostfests, and whatnot, in the most extreme cases the subject not being quite relevant beyond whatever content is made in the threads.

Is that a major problem? We use 4chan so much, so often that we start to mold it to be like our own clubhouse? Just look at all those boards requests, all the bitching over /pol/, the many arguments from over the years of a furry board. Perhaps a major reason why this imageboard is more than just anime-centered is because people became too attached to it.
>>
I think you're right. The majority of the community LIVES on this fucking site, which is why you see people talking about "home boards" and other such bullshit and perceiving anyone who behaves differently from desired to be "not from this site." Like you said, the generals are a good example of it. This straight up obsessive behavior needs to stop, but it can only stop if the mods do something about it.
>>
I think you're onto something there.

Definitely in the old days you just couldn't stay online for that long. There simply wasn't enough around online. I personally watched more TV and played more console games in that era.

Today, people are watching twitch streams and youtube videos and contact each other outside the chan - steam and whatnot. And you can tell that the pathological losers that plague the site are just constantly here. They can't seem to fulfil themselves any other way and opt to just live here, exhausting themselves with repetitious garbage just to do something; anything. Anything but take a look at themselves.

I don't know, I'm a bit tired of all the losers that can't be kicked out.
>>
File: friday nights on co.png (194 KB, 767x415) Image search: [Google]
friday nights on co.png
194 KB, 767x415
>>434567
I think the most the mods can do are dispose of generals. Beyond that, it's up to the individual to waste their time here or find something else to do.
>>
>>434569
>>434567

>normalfags will always get upset
Feels great
>>
>>434569
>this retarded post
Even as early as 2004, you could spend an entire day on 4chan and not get bored. Stop acting like you were there or even old enough to experience what the internet was like.
>>
>>434567
>>434569
yeah lets just ban everyone here who cares about the site

10/10 idea guys, after we do that we can add a timeline, profiles, avatars, and cute forum siggys
>>
>>434580
>timeline, profiles, avatars, and cute forum siggys
That's part of all this bullshit, though. After a while, some people try to make an identity for themselves in recurring threads (they don't need to be generals) for no good reason.
>>
>>434582
you talk about generals but /vg/ will literally never be good due to lack of mods

ideally you would have one janitor per general but instead there's only a couple so the shitposts and namefags can run free

as for generals on other boards it's kind of the same thing but not as bad since they're diluted between normal threads
>>
File: generals.png (20 KB, 596x892) Image search: [Google]
generals.png
20 KB, 596x892
>>434560
>>
>>434584
For all I know, /co/ has a few banned generals. Homestuck general got banned because it was a shitpostfest as a result of Homestuck having update droughts.
>>
>>434577
>calling ME a normalfag

Buddy... I'm speaking from years and years of experience. I hope one day you'll realize that living like we do is NOT something to be proud of.
>>
>>434589
I'm not exactly proud of it but I sure as fuck belon on 4chan more than normalfag retards
>>
>>434597
There you go again with treating a site like your home. That's exceedingly unhealthy.
>>
>>434600
This site is my home.
>>
File: 7ETjgnx.png (143 KB, 542x248) Image search: [Google]
7ETjgnx.png
143 KB, 542x248
>>434603
>>
>>434629
Nothing wrong with escapism when your real life is shit and beyond fixing.
>>
File: 1308438144044.jpg (67 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1308438144044.jpg
67 KB, 500x500
>>434579
You could, but if you did you were probably a tool, even then.
>>
>>434631
If you've fucked up your life, you'll probably fuck up 4chan, too.
>>
>>434662
Nah 4chan is the only thing I'm any good at it
>>
>>434560
I just wish I could have a quality discussion about video games, but /v/ is so dog shit you can't talk about anything there. Like a few days ago, I managed to get in a good Fire Emblem threads that wasn't shitposting about "CENSORSHIP!" which is all spouted by PCucks who haven't/won't play the game
It took me about 2 months to talk about video games on /v/. /a/'s certainly better, but they're also pretty shit. Just replace cancer with "would you sniff this loli's butt?" and the sort
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.