[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is "lurkmore" no longer a thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: 1457194700569.png (704 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457194700569.png
704 KB, 1280x720
Why is "lurkmore" no longer a thing?
>>
Lurkmore and find out
>>
>>489326
Redditors
>>
When 4chan transitioned into "the mainstream" the memes were no longer produced here and protected here. They freely flow from one board to the other, to other websites and back again. Nothing impedes this flow. There is no "us." There is no "them."

Telling someone to lurk more is about as logical as telling someone on Facebook to pay attention. Because that's what 4chan is comparable to. It's a meme-facebook for meme production and meme curation. The comments are, typically, ignored if they're not a a positive of negative comment directed at somebody's nascent meme. A positive comment, and few reposts and they'll know they can take it and run. And they do. Of to the other websites. But they'll come back.

People are not told to Lurk More, I wouldn't care if they were, because they don't want to come here at all. They have to.
>>
>>489326
Get out if you dont like it
>>
>>489326

>lurkmore

lurkmore
>>
I see people using that phrase all the time OP. If you don't see it then maybe you need to start taking it as advice.
>>
>>489326
I think the problem is less of "Why is "lurkmore" no longer a thing?" and more of "What does "lurkmore" even mean?".
>>
It is still a thing, but there is always that babysitter who spoonfeeds the newfags.
>>
>>489385
I do it to piss you off.
>>
>>489387
What did the bad man do to you
>>
>>489385
every single time.
>>
>>489334
Pffffffffffff
>>
>>489385

they're the on-site encyclopedia dramatica.

reason why we cant have nice things
>>
>>489557
Most of newfags don't even know about ED. The real problem is KYM and people like >>489387.
>>
>>489578
Cry moar faggot.
>>
>>489579
*cries more*
now what
>>
>>489579
Cancer.
>>
>>489579
bad troll
>>
idk OP, but I will always say it when it needs to be said, but the kinda newfags like
>>489387
make everything worse.

>inb4 oh dude le ebin troll
>>
I don't understand what people are complaining about ITT. You want people to say "lurk moar" more often?
>>
>>489326
>Why is "lurkmore" no longer a thing?
Different generations of people trespass the Internet nowadays. There is no longer a need to try and understand a place and its space because social media has blown the Internet open to the masses with instant and unfortunately pandering access. Probably the only thing I agree on m00t with was his stance against having archiving sites for 4chan.

>>489334
>the memes were no longer produced here and protected here.
We never produced them anon, we imported them then put out own little variations on them. Not to say it wasn't fun, but please don't try to confuse what we actually did with what people now think we did.
>>
>>489578
The fuck is KYM?

>>489667
>I don't understand what people are complaining about ITT.
Because you're a fucking sperg who doesn't understand context.
>>
>>489326
because calling people dump frogposters is alot easier
>>
>>489387
Same here, love doing it to piss off weebs.

Googling stuff would never even work if people never spoonfed on various forums.
>>
>>489909
>t. a retard who can't use Google properly
>>
>>489326
Because everyone wants to prove they are an "oldfag" and explain every single meta detail about this website.

Redditors are proud to know the sauce of images they post, that they probably saved off of kym.
>>
>>489909
Yeah, /a/ in particular gets really mad about it.

You know what I like doing? Asking a question on /a/, and then, after a bunch of people say "lurk more" or "google it" I answer the question myself, because I knew it to begin with. Sometimes I even throw in an emoticon to be cheeky. ;)
>>
>>489910
Google is just a search engine, not an encyklopedia.
>>
>>489913
Damn anon, if you're trying to troll me, you've succeeded man.
Good job.
>>
>>489913
Shit, we're dealing with some real professionals on this website
>>
>>489914
>reverse search image
>shows up elsewhere
Wow was that so hard anon?
>>
>>489947
It could show up on 10 different places where nobody gives out the source.
>>
>>489949
When we are talking about manga pics, yeah, the Chinese/Japanese/Korean sites are cancer, completely agree.

Crop the picture if it has anything wierd, and when searching in google, mention a site name where google has most likely cached a decent amount of pictures from.

And if you still only get chinese/japanese/korean memes, then copy and paste the title into a translator.
>>
>>489326
Because expecting every single poster on every board to act a specific way even if they didn't know the reason why on a site that prides itself on not being some sort of hiveminded hugbox like reddit or tumblr was fucking stupid.
>>
>>489977
>the Chinese/Japanese/Korean sites are cancer
Why? They usually have the details about the work and if not download links, links to where to buy it on amazon or rakuten, etc.

>>490019
Your reasoning fails the shit-test of reality, however, as the site now more than ever is comprised of hiveminds and people refuse to lurk.
>>
>>490031
>people refuse to lurk
That just proves my point.
>>
>>489326
The newfags came in greater numbers, outnumbering the oldfags on several boards. Then you got boards like /v/ where the newfags pat themself on the back for being swines rolling in their own shit.
>>
File: 1420822915181.png (929 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
1420822915181.png
929 KB, 1440x1440
>>489691
>"The fuck is KYM?"
>2016. Post-Neo Fortune
>Not knowing about Know Your Meme.com
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>490839
>suggesting knowyourmeme over ED
holy shit that's almost as much cancer as the people saying you don't need to lurk moar
>>
>>490936
well they're both p shit but like every determined internet autist[1] knows about 'em

[1] this is a good thing, by the btw, and i'd like my internet communities to be populated by at least 75% of them, the rest being there to laugh at and with
>>
>>489326

i've been thinking that we need more elitism on 4chan, I just don't know how you do it though. we used to be able to shame people more effectively but nobody really listens anymore.
>>
File: 1452059999812.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1452059999812.gif
3 MB, 200x150
>>489334
>>
>>489578
>tfw knew about ED long before KYM
>tfw can recognise the acronym KYM on sight but not ED
>>
>>491080
>can recognise the acronym KYM on sight but not ED
Seriously?

For me it's the other way around, didn't know what the hell KYM was until someone spelled it out.
>>
>>491107
There's a lot more shit that can be abbreviated as ED as compared to KYM. When I see ED my first thought is "which ED?".
>>
>>491111
I started seeing ED get abbreviated years ago, meanwhile, well, I don't even remember seeing KYM even mentioned on 4chan.
>>
>>491114
I guess it's just different experiences for us. I usually see Encyclopedia Dramatica but not ED, and equal amounts of KYM and Know Your Meme.
>>
>>491116
Where have you seen people post about knowyourmeme or KYM outside of this thread?

Now I'm intrigued.
>>
>>491117
Well /qa/'s been around for over a year already, and I saw it occasionally. Other than that, I guess I saw it the most often on /int/, out of all the boards I've gone to.

I learned the existence of both sites from outside of 4chan though.
>>
>>491121
Ah, never really lurked /int/, that's probably why, also have avoided this board too until of late.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.