[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me one reason why mobile phones shouldn't be blocked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: shrugs.jpg (17 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
shrugs.jpg
17 KB, 350x277
Give me one reason why mobile phones shouldn't be blocked from posting on 4chan

The majority of shitposting is from phonefags who can just switch airplane to dodge bans
>>
>>451325
Agreed. I have been drawing attention to low quality threads started from iphones on /tv/ recently.

>>>/tv/66304496
Please join us for discussion.
>>
File: image.jpg (179 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179 KB, 640x960
Just look how stupid your post looks

I screenshoted so you could see your own stupidietyie fan (family) tbn. Loki mobile posting is da bedt
>>
>>451484
/tv/ isn't the best place to try and discuss that, besides its a sitewide issue
>>
>>451325
>The majority of shitposting is from phonefags who can just switch airplane to dodge bans
Proofs.
>>
>>451325
Prove that the majority of shitposting is from phonefags.
>>
>>451325
Shit, I got bamboozled out of an airplane when buying a new phone.
>>
unfortunately, ad revenue > post quality.
>>
>>451544
Mods have shown they're willing to ban people who make low quality posts, though.

Really, more than anything we need enough mods who are willing and able to keep banning shitposters until they give up. We need a large quantity of determined and reliable mods. At the moment there's just too few mods and too many shitposters.
>>
File: 1454880461140.jpg (62 KB, 750x736) Image search: [Google]
1454880461140.jpg
62 KB, 750x736
Better idea: ban iPhone users. Clearly the larger majority of edgy teens will be using iPhone rather than Android.
>>
My problems with mobile users:

1) It's hard to type on touchscreens. This means people are more likely to make shorter posts, with shorter words in. This obviously leads to a lowered level of discourse.

2) It's hard to read due to the smaller screen. This applies to boards, threads and posts. A long post is more likely to be ignored on a phone as it is just so hard to read. If a thread is several hundred posts long then it just won't be read through, and the phone user's post has more chance of being irrelevant to the discussion. And it's harder to browse boards too, possibly meaning increased likelihood of duplication of threads as mobile users miss/can't be bothered to check for them.

3) Images. Many of us have hundreds if not thousands of images saved and meticulously catalogued. This is an image board of course. It's not outrageous to suggest that people on mobile devices don't have that many, and that they're not well organised. Plus, it's harder to quickly save a new image if you don't have one that fits to what you want, or if you're searching for something in particular. Not impossible, but harder. So, mobile users almost certainly have less images, which are organised poorly, and it's a pain to quickly get a new one. So what will this lead to? Spamming of the same few images over and over again. As more mobile users see these, they'll save them and keep posting them too. An epic new maymay is born.

4) Difficult to research on. I almost didn't include this, as many people on standard computers don't research either, but I decided to because it's so much harder to on mobile devices. Without easy access to information, discussion will just revolve around what people think and shout the loudest, rather than actually checking their facts with a quick ctrl-t.

cont.
>>
>>451559
5) Easy to ban evade from. As OP said, or even just connecting to multiple wifi networks as they go about their day. Obviously this could be done with a laptop, and lots of IPs can be changed with a router reset. However, this is not a reason to allow those who can do it so easily and perhaps without even realising.

6) Used when on the go so less likely to get deeply into discussion. If people can sit down at their computer and post, 99% of the time they will. Most people would only use their mobile device if they're out and about doing something, perhaps browsing during their break at work or during a gap in classes. I feel this style of browsing, this dipping in and out will lead to lower quality of discussion too. If you've only got a few minutes you're not going to open a thread with hundreds of long replies, then type one up yourself and reply to comments. No, you'll just find a short funny one and post a short funny comment and move on. Then later when you've got another few minutes you might come back to it, or go onto another easily digestible thread. I anticipate someone bringing up public transport here, to which I will just respond with "Why the fuck do you want to post on 4chan whilst on the bus?".

I could think of more reasons, but this is probably the bulk of my argument and is enough to be getting on with. A brief summary would be something like:
Mobile users are inherently less likely to post high quality content, both text and images, due to the limitations of the device. This combined with the site being more difficult to use due to the smaller screen means that low quality threads are more likely to be made, and filled with low quality replies and a small number of images posted over and over again. This low quality will be compounded by it being nearly impossible to ban anyone at all who breaks the rules on these devices, and by such users only using the site "casually" ie during a gap between other things.

cont.
>>
>>451567
So, we've identified a problem in theory and in practise. The vast majority of threads with the opening image entitled "image.jpg" are bad. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been trying to draw attention to this on /tv/ with a small amount of success.

I don't think mobile users need to be stopped from browsing the site, I don't even think the mobile version needs to be removed, as apps will always be there to help. I think they just need to be stopped from posting, or perhaps even just from making threads. Now, please tell me if I'm incorrect here, but I believe it would be possible to check what browser/device a user is on, and forbid certain ones from posting. I don't know whether it would possible for phones to trick the server into thinking they're a real computer, but even if it was then it would still cut down on mobile posting as it would be a major hassle.

Thank you for reading, especially if you're involved in the running of the site, and I hope you take my posts and this thread seriously. It would be nice if anyone who is in contact with Hiro could ask him to have a quick look too.

I'm happy to answer any questions.
>>
>>451325

1. I fully agree.
2. Hiro went into debt to buy 4chan so I doubt he wants to do anything that cuts down on 4chan's numbers.
3. I think a realistic solution is to just keep mobile IP's from making new threads.
>>
>>451573
You just spent 20 minutes of your life typing out that wall of text that nobody gives a shit about? Bravo. You did nothing but state the obvious. And then end it with "I'm such a genius, worship me."
>>
>>451486
>image.jpg

Fuck offfffffffffffffff
>>
>>451937
Raging at that and not the fact that it is very obviously a phone screencap. Are you dumb.
>>
>>451325
>The majority of shitposting is from phonefags who can just switch airplane to dodge bans

Wait, what? That's not how bans work at all.
>>
I am fully in support of banning mobile users.

>>451559
>>451567
>>451573
You raised a lot of arguments which I haven't thought about. I appreciate this.

>>451593
>A realistic solution is to just keep mobile IP's from making new threads.
This won't really solve a thing. Most will just go derail other threads with their garbage content instead.

No, banning mobile users altogether is the only good solution. I doubt this would actually lower traffic by a large margin. They will still open up 4chan and browse the boards instead whenever they're bored, except without being able to insert their pointless bullshit which only serves as a means of derailing most of the time.

>>452031
I've administrated the main server for a Pokemon game IRC for a few months. Before a phone app for the game was developed, the only ban evader was a very dedicated single person. The moment the phone app was released, it instantly turned into a shitfest where every mobile user could ban evade by just turning their wifi off and on. It was uncontainable. 80% of valuable users left, and all that remained were literal braindead 12 year olds who'd spam the chat the very moment they'd connect to the server, but the creator of the game was getting more ad revenue, and as such didn't give a shit. Ultimately it just killed the game, since the developer didn't understand that phonefags abide by fads and trends.

The same thing is pretty much happening to 4chan, and unless you take away the posting rights of phonefags, it will only deteriorate further.
>>
answering from a phone
>>
>>452081
I am fully in support of banning tripfags.

No, banning tripfags altogether is the only good solution. I doubt this would actually lower traffic by a large margin. They will still open up 4chan and browse the boards instead whenever they're bored, except without being able to insert their pointless bullshit which only serves as a means of derailing most of the time.
>>
>>452296
Can you even prove that tripfags are worse on average than anons? Because the vast majority of bait I read is from anons. Tripfags are just people you remember and nothing more.
>>
>>451325
Because I want to use my mobile phone to post on 4chan when I'm not at the house. Simple as that, we need more freedoms, not less.

I don't give a shit about shitposters. These forums are most shitposting anyway, you delete every shitpost, and half the boards would be empty. That's not a compelling reason to take away options for posting.

"You use THIS device instead of THIS device to post on 4chan, and that annoys me!"

What a stupid goddamn notion.
>>
>>452081
>I doubt this would actually lower traffic by a large margin. They will still open up 4chan and browse the boards instead whenever they're bored, except without being able to insert their pointless bullshit which only serves as a means of derailing most of the time.

Horseshit. Not being able to participate makes these boards useless. The discussions are rarely all that good or interesting, what's fun is being part of the conversation. When I'm banned, I don't read the boards. I just stay off of 4chan for the three days until I can use the site like intended. It's literally useless if you can't engage and banning mobile users will cause a huge drop in traffic.

>>451567
It's easy to ban evade on every platform. This is not a legitimate reason to ban mobile users. Unplugging a router for your laptop is faster than clearing phone cookies and turning off cellular data, just so you can happen upon a new IP.

And where is this idea that discussions are long-drawn out conversations featuring paragraphs on intense thought and debate? Most posts on the highest-populated boards like /tv/ are single sentence replies. And most have all the thought of a YT comment section.
>>
>>451559
None of these are true, by the way. If you're experienced with phones, it is very easy to see on smaller screens, extremely fast to type on them, and you have hundreds of images saved to various organized folders and even more if you have access to the cloud.

These are all problems if you're a grandfather who's never held a smartphone in his hands before. Otherwise, they are entirely made up.
>>
>>451325

Give me one reason why we shouldn't ban faggots complaining about 4chan being 4chan.
>>
They already are banned. Using a Nexus 6 on T-Mobile from NYC. Whenever I try to post I keep hitting a rangeban/ISP ban; even after clearing cookies and changing to airplane mode.

I'm not even shitposting that's the sad part.
>>
>>453865
>you delete every shitpost, and half the boards would be empty
Those boards are garbage, so it's no loss.
>>
>>453871
nice edge
>>
File: STOP-THE-MADNESS.jpg (622 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
STOP-THE-MADNESS.jpg
622 KB, 1366x768
>>452296
Tripfags are 100% cancer, agreed.
>>453865
>this is perfectly OK by your standards
>>
>/qa/ in charge of not making retarded posts
>>
>>451325
I'm at uni where the only alternative to mobile networks is the uni WiFi, which tracks user's activity.

Frankly, I don't anyone tracking my shitposting.
>>
>>454046

What's wrong anon, don't want uni to find out how you feel about the Jews?
>>
>>454013
What board is that?
>>
>>451325
Remove the reply functionality from the mobile theme.

That way unifags can use their phone as a hotspot if they seriously need to post.
>>
>Ctrl + f
>no "Clover"
Clover allows for filename editing and has a more accessible format than simply using a mobile browser.
So basically, my answer is because Android users
>>
File: 1430264489633.png (686 KB, 838x887) Image search: [Google]
1430264489633.png
686 KB, 838x887
Is this really how dota 2 ends senpaitachi?
>>
>>454187
Wrong thread. But maybe. This could be too much.
>>
File: 1453390159177.png (383 KB, 547x563) Image search: [Google]
1453390159177.png
383 KB, 547x563
>>454081
>turn phone sideways
>desktop theme restored
>>
>>454076
/o/. We have had a serious spammer/shitposter problem for a few months, although they're in a bit of a lull right now.
>>
Test
>>
Because soon, mobile will be the primary computing platform in the world
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 632x569) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 632x569
>>451325
LOL LE POOFING SMUG LADY IS ALWAYS RIGHT

>implying Hiro wants to kill 4chans large mobile traffic
>>
>>454439
You have Alphonse's Reddit account, and there's a good chance he goes to UNLV AND may very well either be a mod or a Rouge janitor.

Either way, if we can get proof Al is a mod or a janitor, we can get him out for good.
>>
>>455396
Enjoy your ban for ban evasion :^)
>>
>>455440
I was checking if posting was down actually (^:
>>
>>455396
Fuck off ban evading scum
>>
>>455426
His reddit account means nothing, he just trolls gay subreddits.
>>
>>451325
So you can take a picture of something with your phone and post it on 4chan without having to transfer it to your computer. This is an imageboard after all.
>>
File: ako.png (62 KB, 268x270) Image search: [Google]
ako.png
62 KB, 268x270
>>455419
>LE POOFING SMUG LADY
She has a name, anon.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.