[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A 5 Minute Post Time on /v/: Hiro and Mods please listen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10
File: 1449204731736.jpg (21 KB, 540x543) Image search: [Google]
1449204731736.jpg
21 KB, 540x543
An anon in this thread >>433944 about a possible solution with how to fix /v/: Insert a 5 minute post time to /v/. As the anon said here

>Five minute post timer. It will keep people from treating the board like their shitposting outlet, help slower threads survive, keep more repetitive threads that are the same thing each time from reappearing because they're too much trouble to fill, and will also make common threads stick around longer without needing to be recreated and bumping off other threads.

>/v/'s problem is that it has a high number of underage and immature users who want to treat it like a second /b/. The best way to deter their lot is to bore them by making it so they can't act like a hyperactive 'tard.

>I don't see any other way. Saying "more mods/ janitors" is pointless. /v/ is already the most heavily moderated board, contrary to popular belief.

>Splitting the board will just be transplanting undesirable users from one board to another (making another /vg/). I'd also like it if talking about video games on 4chan wasn't a demonized practice, and that every board related to videogames wasn't a containment board of some sorts.

All of these points are valid and for good reasons. /v/ is filled to the brim with underage shitposters who keep trying to make /v/ into /b/ 2.0. 1 minute is simply too short of a period, and it enables the shitposter to keep spamming threads and making off topic threads constantly. The board is so fast that it cannot be properly moderated at all. If we were to slow /v/ down by making the posting timer 5 minutes, or at the very least maybe 3, you would start to bore the shitposter. They simply would not want to wait 5 minutes just to make a simple shitpost.
>>
best idea
>>
I know the idea is extreme, but its the only way at this point to at least clean /v/ up. We have to bore the shitposter to death
>>
>>434107
I actually think this is a good idea
>>
>>434107
I suppoert this

IDs would also help
>>
>>434107
I actually like this idea. I'd be okay with it, and /v/ is one of my most visited boards.

>>434125
Honestly, IDs haven't ever helped from what I've seen. Shitposters will shitpost regardless. It's like criminals in real life; they know it's against the law, they just don't give a shit.
>>
File: 1433094973177.jpg (40 KB, 500x544) Image search: [Google]
1433094973177.jpg
40 KB, 500x544
>>434107
>keep more repetitive threads that are the same thing each time from reappearing because they're too much trouble to fill
Also what I meant when I wrote this line (as it's a little vague)
You know things like "pass the controller bro" threads? I have a folder with hundreds of stupid as shit controllers, I can't dump them in any one of those threads and keep it alive for hours. I can do that, but only if I can post every minute. I'm not going to dump a 100+ controllers waiting five minutes each time. That's close to ten hours of posting controllers, even I'm not that autistic.

What I mean is, people who have their internet guns loaded up with internet bullets (pictures on 4chan) to spam and flood threads and the board won't be able to alone any longer. You can still shit post and contribute to a thread, but you won't be able to do so rapidly and you won't be able to single handedly fill up a thread.

Another example I'd like to sight are the Souls threads on /v/. Often there will be one guy, and I'll wager it's the same guy each time, who will start dumping gifs and webms of shitty hitbox issues in Dark Souls 2. This just starts a sequal war in the thread and could be done with out. Yeah, hitboxes weren't good in DS2 but do we need the dump every fucking time? No

Then there are LOL threads. Surely perpetuated by faggots who have huge folders of shitty web comics and edits of shitty webcomics.

Then there's the twitter threads. Same thing, they're fueled by professional shitposters who have folders filled with twitter caps they're just eagerly waiting to dump to start flame wars.

Remember the Pareto Principle: 80% of a board's shit is going to come from 20% of it's users. If we can nip that 20% in the bud, /v/ will turn into a fucking utopia over night.

I just want to talk about video games man. The best threads on /v/ recently have been about The Witness for christ sake.
>>
>>434107
>>434133
I like this idea. A one week or one month test run would at least be interesting.
>>
>>434139
At least one week to see what happens. That I would be OK with.

>>434133
One of the biggest issues on /v/ I think is the war between weebs and westacucks. Westacucks will constantly try and derail a game with an anime art style and proceed to call all weebs pedos and how 4chan isn't an anime centric board anymore.
>>
>>434107
>>434133
This is actually really good. Not only does it discourage people from rapid fire shitposting, it also encourages people who are actually discussing stuff to read more of the thread, read posts more thoroughly, or spend longer times on the content of their post. I don't really see any negatives to this. So what if shitposters get upset? What are they gonna do, spam the thread every minute? Not with this in effect.

Like >>434139 said, I think a month long test run would be the best way to go about it.
>>
>>434151
Now all we gotta do is get this to Hiro or the mods. I'm sure the mods will be in support of it, since it'll make their jobs easier
>>
>>434107
Only if the normal time is allowed in sickies. Would basically kill all the fun out of things like the E3 threads as it is really nice to see people react as soon as something happens.
>>
I agree to this.
>>
>>434196
Perhaps, though the principle is that a thread is only as fast as it has a lot of people in it. Of course e3 threads will have lots of people in it, and will still be fast even if each person individually only posts once every 5 minutes.

Also there's a few /v/ streams with tiny chats and ircs you can go to for live conversation during e3.
>>
Five minutes is way too much. 99% of the shitposting threads are mobile users so just ban cell networks
>>
File: 32.jpg (28 KB, 390x310) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
28 KB, 390x310
>>434149
>this salty weeaboo
Are you mad they called you out on your shit taste?
>>
>>434319
>weeaboo
Anyone who uses any form of cuck is from /v/ or one of the other shitty boards like /tv/ or /pol/.
>>
>>434312
They'll still have to wait 5 minutes either way
>>
>>434323
>weeaboo
>form of cuck
>>
>>434342
He was calling someone a weeaboo for using westacucks which is wrong because /v/ are the ones using cuck every 3 seconds like a bunch of tards.
>>
>>434350
Literally what
>>
>>434384
You're a little slow eh anon?

>guy 1 says westacuck
>guy 2 calls him a mad weeaboo for saying it
>but guy 1 is not a weeaboo since he uses any form of the term cuck
>which is a meme used by /v/ not /a/

If you need me to explain this even slower for you it's going to cost a shiny potato from your collection.
>>
REMINDER THAT REDDIT BROWSES /qa/ AND ADVERTISES ON THE SITE, IGNORE ALL /v/ AND /vg/ THREADS
>>
This is stupid. I host Oregon Trail threads on /v/ and a 5-minute post limit would kill any desire to do those threads.
>>
>>434405
It'll stop the massive amount of shitposting going on all over /v/ though
>>
>>434405
your sacrifice will not be forgotten
>>
File: trumpindian.png (779 KB, 1111x595) Image search: [Google]
trumpindian.png
779 KB, 1111x595
>>434413
>>434411
5-minute post timers will never happen, guys.
>>
>>434107
>>I don't see any other way. Saying "more mods/ janitors" is pointless. /v/ is already the most heavily moderated board, contrary to popular belief.
Which is why we see so much deliberate shitposting threads reaching 400 replies
>>
5 minute wait may be a bit too much. I'd say 3 is the sweet spot. Can't provoke the fire too much.
>>
>>434107
All good points. Not a fan of /q/2.0 but this gets my support.
>>
File: 1424669910130.jpg (64 KB, 460x690) Image search: [Google]
1424669910130.jpg
64 KB, 460x690
Its punishing legit posters but at this point there's barely any left so I say fuck it all.

10minute post timers, flags, IDs, install the robot and enable dubs.
>>
>>434107
That is actually a pretty good idea, although I'd prefer ~3 minutes
>>
>>434521
If you report threads and posts they're usually gone within 5-10 minutes, sometimes one if the mod's on fire
>>
>>434643
>Its punishing legit posters but at this point there's barely any left so I say fuck it all.
There is an added benefit though. The less shit there is, the more quality posters will be encouraged to post because they won't feel like they're being drowned out by shit. Less shit isn't just less shit, it's more quality too, not even just relatively.
>>
File: 1381606158199.jpg (58 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1381606158199.jpg
58 KB, 600x600
>>434107
Yes! Exactly what I was thinking.
>>
>>434749
>>
File: D7Fm[1].png (11 KB, 431x326) Image search: [Google]
D7Fm[1].png
11 KB, 431x326
>>434749
There are more of us supporting this idea.
>>
>>434749
Shitposter
>>
>>434756
No if that's not proving his point I don't know what is
>>
>>434765
One person might be a samefag, but at least three people agree on this. But people really need to stop samefagging. It doesn't help, because (basically) saying "I agree" 5 times about the exact same thing isn't going to change anything. /qa/ is a slow board, so bumping is completely pointless, as well as looking as dumb as it always does.
>>
>>434149
>>434350
"Westacuck" is another /a/-ism. It's a made up word they use to try to counter being called a weeaboo.

It's the same as how they tried to get "normalfag" to mean "people who don't watch anime" and give it a different definition from "normie," even though they're the same damn thing.

/a/ can't interact with the rest of 4chan very well at all.
>>
>>434531
3 might actually be reasonable the more I think about it.
>>
>>434884
I think 5 is necessary, at least at first. 3 is still too lenient to have significant immediate effects imo. Larger, harder numbers really drive the idea home. Also, it's interesting that in Youtube most people only watch a video for 15 minutes, and that's as true if it's 16 minutes long as it is if it's 30 minutes long. What I'm getting at is that, assuming a 15 minute attention span, people will only be able to shit post three times under 5 minutes but 5 times under 3. That's a fairly large difference.

Ideally, slowing down the post timer wouldn't need to be a permanent thing. You could start with 5, and if that improves the board can go to 4 after a few months, then 3, 2, and 1. The board will be back to a normal post speed in as little as a year's time, ideally. The idea is that, basically, it's spring cleaning and clearing the air. It's not about building a wall that shitposters can't cross over, it's more about driving the shitposters already in out and hopefully they'll know not to come back.

If the atmosphere and culture of the board can be reset to one that respects and expects quality posting, then the board time can be reduced to whatever amount. If the sorts of people who want to shitpost about people's twitters all day know they're not welcome, and they leave and don't come back, the problem is solved.
>>
>>434901
My only concern is getting Hiro and the mods on board with this. Hiro needs to get his fucking internet fixed already. Its insane that its been 2 months and he's still having issues with it
>>
File: 1420675620175.jpg (791 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
1420675620175.jpg
791 KB, 2592x1456
>>435121
Please wait warmly
>>
>>435125
We miss you Hiro
>>
This needs more attention
>>
>>435563
no
>>
>>435563
Yes.
>>
>>435645
yes shitposter
>>
>>435121
Who knows if that's even true?
>>
>>436131
He used to be on here quite often though. The fact that he hasn't updated his twitter in almost a month is troubling. If his internet really is shit, then it could explain a lot
>>
>>434107
Hiroshima please do this, the amount of shitposting on /v/ is off the charts, this is probably one of the best solutions right now.
>>
File: 1448802883622.jpg (21 KB, 472x443) Image search: [Google]
1448802883622.jpg
21 KB, 472x443
Do it mods.
>>
>>436163
I just pray Hiro gets on here and sees this
>>
The best way would be to kill the inline extension, break external extensions from working, and just bring back the old interface. That'd slow shit down considerably and bore off the majority of retards.

But now that 4chan isn't a hobby for moot, but a business ever since Hiro bought it, that's not likely to happen. More people = more advertising money and more potential pass sales and whatever other ideas he comes up with. So the odds of him actually taking steps to minimize the amount of people, shitposting or not, aside from just mods banning the worst offenders, is highly unlikely. Especially given he ran the largest forum in the world at one time and I may not speak moonrunes, but from what I heard is basically a shitposting haven with a mix of /pol/, but focused against Korea rather than Jews.

So, this is all pissing against the wind at this point.
>>
>>436527
Except Hiro wanted this site to be for us. If we actually explain to him doing this will fix the quality of /v/, I'm sure he'll approve of it.
>>
We need this thread. Best and only good solution to fix /v/
>>
>>436527
>The best way would be to kill the inline extension, break external extensions from working, and just bring back the old interface.
Seems like that would inconvenience more than just shitposters though. Also it makes no sense to undo a lot of dev work put into the site because it does exactly what it's suppose to and makes the site more convenient to use.

Not that there's much reasoning with people who demonize the current admin though.
>>
>>434107
what a shit idea
why not just get some fucking moderation instead of neutering the whole fucking board
>>
>>438941
You could actually read the post where it addresses that idea.
You can't just "get" moderation, it's something you have to train and build up. It's also something that you would need huge amounts of working diligently constantly to make a dent in /v/. There is a simpler solution that takes fewer resources and doesn't make it seem like you're constantly being watched and judged by some 4chan overlords: longer post timers.
>>
Yeah, I want to report posts, but there's so much shitposting and it might be archived in 20 minutes anyway.

>>438941
4chan is not a chat room.You don't need to post every minute, let alone two, three, or even five.
>>
>>439570
>4chan is not a chat room.You don't need to post every minute, let alone two, three, or even five.
Very true. It is nice having back and forth with a fellow enthusiast you happen to run into on the chans about about something, but chances are good you're both taking longer than 5 minutes per post with each other anyhow. And even then, you have to take into account the amount of time it takes to write a post regardless. 5 minutes is the time it takes to post a post, not necessarily to start writing and formatting one and finding a nice picture to attach to it as well.
>>
>>438938

>Seems like that would inconvenience more than just shitposters though.

Not really. I've always used 4chan without extensions and just use the vanilla version. It's really not that complicated.

>Also it makes no sense to undo a lot of dev work put into the site because it does exactly what it's suppose to and makes the site more convenient to use.

Convenience came at the cost of quality. Before if you wanted to shitpost and make a thread, odds are you needed to learn about noko and other things. Otherwise you'd lose your thread and have to go find it. Then you had to see who replied to you and scroll around looking for people who replied to your post. You then had to update manually to see if you trolled anyone and got replies. And odds are if you were blatantly obvious nobody was gonna waste their time going into your thread, replying, and then leaving again. With quick reply you just hit the post, type out "WOW EPIC B8 M8 8/8". Now rather than trolls having to try really hard to grab attention and often making a thread people could actually discuss things in. Now it's easier than ever to just shitpost and have dozens of idiots flock to you because it takes no time or effort.

So, it'd drive off a lot of idiots. Yeah, the features may be convenient, but convenience should not come at the cost of the quality of the site. And bringing back that old interface and way stuff is situated would work out a lot better in the long run. 4chan got large that way to begin with, the extension craze didn't aid the site, it just made it easier for people to shit all over it.
>>
>>439699
>Not really ... it's not that complicated
If it's not inconvenient than why do it then? If it's not that complicated why was so much work put into creating more convenient options for users? And if it's not that complicated then why would it affect how shitposters? You're contradicting yourself 360 degrees here.

>Convenience came at the cost of quality.
The cost of quality came at a growing and changing user base and a moderation team that couldn't keep up, as well as better server side infrastructure. It's also not as if quality across the site has diminished, just in certain boards. For instance, extensions have not diminished the quality of /a/ ("/a/ is the best board" -moot) or other slower boards. The problem is not the tools, but the users.

I also don't see the point in removing the extensions when the point of what you're suggesting is literally to make posting slower and more disinterested, which was the whole point of the timer idea in the first place. Not to mention how incredibly impractical and likely impossible a solution it'd be to implement, not just to disable 4chan's own extension but also any other extension people wanted to use. It's just not going to happen. Getting the powers that be to institute a slower post timer on /v/ might be a remote possibility, but being able to kill 4chanX and the like on /v/ is absurd.
>>
>>439712
>For instance, extensions have not diminished the quality of /a/.
How does his explanation not apply to /a/? Automatic noko has contributed to the creation of long shitty threads that just won't die. And thread watcher has gone a long way in helping keep general threads alive.
>>
>>439712

>If it's not inconvenient than why do it then?

Because the only ones it does inconvenience are shitposters who feel the need to post a ton constantly or incessantly make low effort posts and troll lazily. For the average poster who enjoys 4chan and doesn't expect this to be Twitch chat 2.0? It'd be nothing to get used to it.

>If it's not that complicated why was so much work put into creating more convenient options for users?

Because people were using extensions anyway that came from other sites. And I guess moot felt it was better to make an inhouse one too. I don't know, given I'm not moot or the dev who came up with the idea.

>And if it's not that complicated then why would it affect how shitposters?

I explained this up above. It'd inconvenience idiots whereas people who genuinely care about the quality of their posts and taking part in the community wouldn't be all that effected.

And if you feel that posting at a slower pace makes you disinterested, then you're part of the problem. 4chan isn't a chat room. 4chan is a forum for discussing various interests and hobbies. IRC and various other chatrooms do exist if you need constant stimulation and posting for some odd reason. It may be the users who are the problem, and the dev has given them even more convenience when it comes to shitposting and making a nuisance of themselves. Mods cannot be around 24/7 and get every single post, nor can they ban anyone. It takes all of 5 minutes max to bypass a ban. So, even if they did start a massive crusade to ban every shitposter, they'd be right back.

And I already said the odds of it being ever done are unlikely given 4chan's a business now. It's perfectly possible to do from a coding perspective. That shit's easy to do and 4chan made it easier by opening everything up awhile ago after the big HTML update. They did some kinda json thing or whatever that allowed people to made extensions for 4chan easier.
>>
>>436527
I seriously doubt that will happen though. As much as a good idea as it is, I just don't see it happening
>>
blarharhay
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.