[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I honestly think, in the near future, a small contingent of people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: 754.jpg (622 KB, 1876x2739) Image search: [Google]
754.jpg
622 KB, 1876x2739
I honestly think, in the near future, a small contingent of people will start trying to use memes as a form of cult magic to affect reality. They'll become convinced that memes have this power.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (155 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
155 KB, 1280x720
>>396783
Like with that Berenstein Bears thing.
>>
File: 1415933952006.jpg (24 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1415933952006.jpg
24 KB, 200x200
>>396783
>implying memes aren't already magic

Just find a person you disagree with, wait until he gets a reply, and then respond to that reply with a smug pepe reaction image. Suddenly everyone in the thread thinks he's a dumb frog poster who doesn't know what he's talking about.
>mfw
>>
File: 1451349353577.jpg (365 KB, 1383x864) Image search: [Google]
1451349353577.jpg
365 KB, 1383x864
>>396783
already happening
>>
>>396783
>Dawkins defined the meme as a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation and replication, but later definitions would vary.

This is transcending Dawkin's memetic ideas.

Memes can influence the common man so much so that actions are being commited in which memes are becoming reality.

I'm scared of this newfound (maybe not) realization. Will anonymous side with the light or will they always be for the lulz at the cost of losing lives.
>>
File: Soldier-praying-with-Jesus.jpg (18 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
Soldier-praying-with-Jesus.jpg
18 KB, 500x374
Isn't all cult magic based on memes?
>>
>>396783
/mu/ fucking killed Lemmy tonight. Meme magic be real.
>>
>>396819
Holy shit, meme magic is real.

That's why Hiro is trying to filter memes - he's trying to prevent it from growing in power. It all makes sense now.
>>
>>396784
I don't get this one. What happened?
>>
>>396832
STOP THIS BULLSHIT. It wasn't Hiro that put in the filter. It was some mods.
>>
You're scaring me.
I can actually write a pretty realistic script involving meme gods. The final scene would zoom in on a fatally wounded guy, whose death throws uncover a giant Pepe statue head, sorta like Planet of the Apes.
>>
File: ebolachan.png (3 MB, 1223x1666) Image search: [Google]
ebolachan.png
3 MB, 1223x1666
>>396783
>Hey, I bet I'll seem smart if I make predictions that ALREADY FUCKING HAPPENED.

You're not clever at all.
>>
>>396879
Someone thought Berenstain Bears was spelled Bearstain so it proves that there was a timeline split with a parallel universe or some retarded shit.
>>
>>397382
Isn't that the religion with the spaceships?
>>
>>397384
No, it's a family of bears that learn life lessons
>>
>>397385
Well, that's just odd then.
>>
I'm pretty sure /pol/ believes they're memeing Trump to the presidency.
>>
>>397382
>>396784

The whole thing boils down to a Simpsons episode where they show a parody of the Berenstain bears, but they couldn't use the exact name. So in simpsons fashion they changed the name to Berenstein bears so they could have it on their show and so they could make a jewish joke about the 'stein'.

Because waaay more people watched the simpsons than read or watched Berenstain bears, that became what most people remembered when they thought of it was Marge saying the parody-name of the book.

Now people hear about this, and most of them were kids in the 90's and never read the books but watched Simpsons, and think "Oh my god, I was wrong all along!"
>>
>>397466
What's weird is I read those books way more than I watched The Simpsons back in the day and I still thought it was Berenstein because what the fuck kind of spelling is Berenstain. I don't even remember a Berenstain bears joke on the Simpsons.
>>
>>396783
>in the future
>will start

Yeah, no. That's how it is right now.
>>
Holy shit. You, my god sir, are fucking right
>>
>>397476
The real reason the dissonance exists is exactly as you said: "stain" is not a very common end to a name, much less so when most people pronounce it "Bear-en-steen." Kids and people who aren't really paying attention simply substitute "stein" in because of it being much more common and it being something that nearly everyone is familiar with (see Frankenstein). It's all pretty fucking ridiculous. I mean you don't see people thinking that they've jumped dimensions because they thought vacuum had only one 'u' or something dumb like that.
>>
>>397502
I do like the idea of jumping dimensions though. That would be awesome. So I kind of want to believe it actually happened.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.