[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is calling everything you don't like "meme x"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 1304376955947.png (457 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457 KB, 600x450
Is calling everything you don't like "meme x" the worst meme of all time?
>>
>I fell for the meme
>this thing I don't like is a meme
>this thing I like is a meme in a good way
>[word with "meme" shoehorned into it somehow]
>meme
>meme
>meme

it's starting to get so bad it needs to be filtered
>>
>>388272
Maybe but

>I don't like his post
>he must be from Reddit

Is pretty bad too
>>
>>388272
Go back to reddit
>>
>>388272

Eternal September is real.

It's just the next step in the transformation of 4chan. Memes went from being largely image based, light hearted (although stupid), with lots of OC. Now memes are typically insulting and denigrating, text based, and with little OC instead using sheer volume in lieu of creativity. Shit, I used to make OC often but gave up years ago. Just doesn't seem to be a point anymore.

This has happened to many sites and real life organizations in the past and will continue to do so in the future. 4chan and other sites are an amalgamation of its users. Once a place becomes too popular and the influx of new people outpaces the ability of the established users to acclimatize them, it starts to change massively. This isn't always a bad thing mind you. .

I don't remember what point 4chan was mainly comprised of newfriends. 2008 seemed like things started to change but u still had fun. 2011 was the last good year. Since then I've only come back because there's no place else to go.
>>
>>388499

>Memes went from being largely image based, light hearted (although stupid), with lots of OC. Now memes are typically insulting and denigrating, text based, and with little OC instead using sheer volume in lieu of creativity.

I don't understand. Why did this happen? I've been here since 2006. My memory isn't perfect but while old 4chan loved to shit on things there seemed to a fair balance with a good amount of threads and posts that weren't full of self-loathing and hating everything. /v/ actually was hyped for games, even popular ones. God help you now if you don't think every game except obscure Japanese sex game #2,485 isn't the blunder of the century.

But I've gotten old now, I'm 30 in a few makes. Maybe the younger generation really is a bunch of spoiled angst riddled bunch of whiners.
>>
>>388425
this is something only a redditor would complain about

>>388499
>>388504
garbage posts, you are painfully obvious newfags
>>
>>388505
Fuck off you cancerous newshit
>>
>>388507
embarrassing
>>
>>388508
Yes, you are embarrassing, now fuck off to /b/ where you belong
>>
>>388505
You just proved their point
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 279x304) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 279x304
>>388510
>gets called out for being a shitposting newfag
>completely humiliated and btfo
>n-no u!!

please go, no one thinks you're funny it's just awkward at this point

>>388511
>maaan 4chan used to be good!! now its edgy kids!!!
demonstrably false, just some newshits pretending they know imagebard culture
>>
>>388504

>I don't understand. Why did this happen?

The great mod crackdown had a large part to do with it in my opinion:

1. A lot of people have a main board.
2. These people typically prefer to discuss things in their main board, even if it doesn't fit the topic of said board.
3. A substantial amount of these people want and do discuss the off-topic materials on their board instead of going to a more appropriate board. Especially if they started off on /b/ and migrated to another board.
4. Prior to the crackdown, you could discuss off-topic things on your board (to an extent). Hell, I'd post new military tech developments on /v/ and those threads would regularly hit the bump limit in around an hour. Few people tried to derail them and those that tried failed due to the sheer amount of people that liked talking about the subject.
5. Allowing some off-topic discussion lets users let off steam. No one wants to or will be 100% on topic 100% of the time and have 100% super serious discussion: it's 4chan not a professional organizations' forum or Reddit.
6. After the crackdown and any semblance of fun being stamped out, users looking for their jollies would have to do so under the guise of being on-topic.
7. This resulted in a massive increase in shitposting which mods allowed because it's on-topic. Console wars, hey let's mimic TORtanic, cries of shill this and shill that, any and every game you like sucks increased exponentially. Not that that shit didn't happen before but after fun wasn't allowed it's what people had to resort to.

Think of it this way. If you’re a straight guy and want to have sex you can go pick up a chick. But then you're thrown in prison. There's no women around so it's man - ass or nothing. You post on a board that allowed some fun. Then they declared that fun off-topic so now you get your fun by on-topic shitposting. Can't have an LOL thread? Fine, I'll make 50 threads on how "x" game is a meme game.

Great improvement, mods.
>>
>>388507

I'm >>388504

Why would you reply to the other guy? He's not offering anything constructive and is simply trying to get a rise off of you. Replying won't accomplish anything. Just ignore and carry on.
>>
>>388525
there is nothing to construct, he and you are blatantly wrong and it's embarrassing

>t-there's no way i'm wrong... he's trolling me!!
this is such a sad defense
>>
>>388504

/r9k/

Bunch of self-loathing fucks attracted a bunch of other losers.
>>
>>388520
>completely humiliated and btfo
You didn't do shit you fucking retard

>anime
Of course, the most cancerous shitpsoters are weeaboos
>>
>>388520
>>388526
Do you need to type like a complete fucktard? You are whatps wrong with this site
>>
>>388499

Shit. I remember when Newground and Something Awful were fun.

Everything just has to go to shit, huh? I guess Hiro won't dare do anything that would cut site traffic since he went into debt to buy 4chan but making this place less popular would help.

My fucking younger cousin in 7th grade learned about 4chan from his classmates. They openly browse, post, and talk about /b/.
>>
>>388505
>>388520
>>388526
Come back here when you have actual arguments and not embarrassing ad hominems you idiot
You are only proving how new you are
>>
>>388520
>lol 4chan was always shit!
this is how you spot a newfag
>>
>>388272
this "Is calling everything you don't like "meme x" the worst meme of all time?" needs to die and stay die
hope u get shadowband
>>
>>388520
even though you're just being a 5/10 master baiter you are literally the cancer that has ravaged this site

you are not clever

making faggots angry on the Internet will never fill the gaping hole in your soul

so just do us all a favor and kill yourself
>>
>>321053496

I'd understand your position, but I disagree:

1. A lot of people have a main board.
2. These people typically prefer to discuss things in their main board, even if it doesn't fit the topic of said board.
3. A substantial amount of these people want and do discuss the off-topic materials on their board instead of going to a more appropriate board. Especially if they started off on /b/ and migrated to another board.
4. Prior to the crackdown, you could discuss off-topic things on your board (to an extent). Hell, I'd post new military tech developments on /v/ and those threads would regularly hit the bump limit in around an hour. Few people tried to derail them and those that tried failed due to the sheer amount of people that liked talking about the subject.
5. Allowing some off-topic discussion lets users let off steam. No one wants to or will be 100% on topic 100% of the time and have 100% super serious discussion: it's 4chan not a professional organizations' forum or Reddit.
6. After the crackdown and any semblance of fun being stamped out, users looking for their jollies would have to do so under the guise of being on-topic.
7. This resulted in a massive increase in shitposting which mods allowed because it's on-topic. Console wars, hey let's mimic TORtanic, cries of shill this and shill that, any and every game you like sucks increased exponentially. Not that that shit didn't happen before but after fun wasn't allowed it's what people had to resort to.

Think of it this way. If you’re a straight guy and want to have sex you can go pick up a chick. But then you're thrown in prison. There's no women around so it's man - ass or nothing. You post on a board that allowed some fun. Then they declared that fun off-topic so now you get your fun by on-topic shitposting. Can't have an LOL thread? Fine, I'll make 50 threads on how "x" game is a meme game.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.