[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's hiro's opinion on tripcodes? The majority o
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 14
File: png.png (666 KB, 1035x467) Image search: [Google]
png.png
666 KB, 1035x467
What's hiro's opinion on tripcodes?
The majority of the userbase want tripcodes removed or at least an option to enable trips when creating a thread. They're ultimately pointless to keep globally in all threads unless the OP wants to identify himself or for niche purposes, which can be solved by having an option for the user.

Filtering tripcode abusers is what the majority of people do but not even that stops then from others replying to them and thus derailing the thread. Even if you filter, you have no control of the other people in the thread derailing it because one person decides to attach a signature with the help of the name field being abused.

Pic related is the last poll we had for tripcodes.
https://strawpoll.me/5559629/r

>67% in total for removing (40% want the option to enable tripcodes when creating threads)
>34% for keeping tripcodes
>>
Why take freedom away from the user? Tripcodes can be very useful in certain extremely specific situations, like generals, q&as, OC threads etc. As long as the majority of users shame, dismiss and filter people who use tripcodes to attention whore, as they do, I see no reason to remove them.
>>
Tripcodes are inherent part of imageboard culture.
People who want attention will find another way to piss you off.
>>
>hurr durr this thing should happen because a strawpoll says so!!!

Just kill yourself already, you imbecilic cumdumpster.
>>
Or you could just, you know, enable a forced anonymous script if you don't want to see tripfags.
>>
>newfag OP whining about 4chan not being like their old forum
Why is every thread on /qa/ like this?
Where the fuck are these people coming from?
>>
>>384088
>like generals
That's literally one of the worst places for it, so you have no idea what you're saying.
>>
>>384088
>>384093
>>384100
Read the OP instead of knee jerking.

>>384098
Girl unfiltered the word cuck because of a strawpoll.
>>
>>384117
>Girl

*Hiro
>>
>>384100
Anyone who thinks forcing anonymity is at all acceptable of a solution really doesn't understand the opposing side of the argument.

If forcing anonymity were acceptable that would imply that we're all ok with them existing and we have no problem with responding to them, and that literally the only thing we don't like about tripfags is the mere sight of something in the name field other than "Anonymous".
It's no wonder some of you think people who hate tripfags are just being babies, because they would be if that's seriously how you think of them.

The real issue is in fact that you don't understand the argument for disliking tripfags in the first place, and suggesting an optional mask on tripfag names as solution is solid evidence of that, because it doesn't address the real problem in any way.

A better filter would be one which automatically hides all tripfag posts down to a stub (removing all content but still displaying backlinks) and replaces their name+trip with something generic but still different from "Anonymous".
>>
>>384117
>Hiro unfiltered the word cuck because of a strawpoll.
Exactly why strawpolls shouldn't be used for any of his decisions. Go ruin your own website, Reddit.
>>
He programmed the fucking board

What do you think his opinion is
>>
>>384182
Regret
>>
>>384117
>because of a strawpoll.
Not even that. It was a fake screenshot of a strawpoll.
>>
File: 1433946979837.png (175 KB, 600x614) Image search: [Google]
1433946979837.png
175 KB, 600x614
>>384078
OP, you seem confused about a few things.

>tripcode abusers
There is no such thing as tripcode abusers. There is a popular meme that states that one should only use a trip when his identity is relevant to his post, but that meme is just that, a meme. No one has to abide by it, and official rules and statements from 4chan staff contradict this meme.
Or are you talking about people who try to use tripcodes to impersonate 4chan staff. That's a major rule violation, so feel free to report those people.

>not even that stops then from others replying to them and thus derailing the thread
A slight correction: Replying to a tripfag doesn't derail a thread. Sure, if a person starts sucking up to the tripfag or throwing a tantrum at tripfag because the tripfag is violating his imagined anonymous-only safe space, report that person for breaking the rules. The same goes for the tripfag, if the tripfag tries to derail the thread, feel free to report the tripfag for breaking the rules.

It's a pretty ridiculous idea to try to remove a site feature and hurt thousands of rule abiding, upstanding members of the community just because some people who use that feature also break rules or because some people get upset at them using that feature and break rules in response to them.

If this kind of thread derailment bothers you that much, then you should probably consider petitioning the admin to include more autoban terms. I imagine there would be a lot less tripfag-related derailment if everyone who tried to post the phrase "kill yourself tripfag" was automatically banned when he pressed submit.

>one person decides to attach a signature with the help of the name field being abused.
A signature can only exist in the comment field. If someone always includes the same text in name field, then he is either namefagging or tripfagging. Neither of which is against the rules.

I hope this clarifies things. No need to thank me, I'm always willing to help out newbies.
>>
>>384218
Fuck off idiot.
It is people like you which taint this place.
>>
>>384218
>There is a popular meme that states that one should only use a trip when his identity is relevant to his post, but that meme is just that, a meme
>meme
Holy shit, please just fucking kill yourself
>>
File: 1442349175592-1.gif (216 KB, 400x322) Image search: [Google]
1442349175592-1.gif
216 KB, 400x322
On one hand, I want to limit tripfags, but in some scenarios tripcodes can be very useful. For example, there's a greentext thread where people tell stories, and some guy tells a story everyone is interested in and they keep asking the guy questions. Of course, the storyteller rightfully puts on a trip when answering so others can't impersonate him, but when trips are taken away the dude is fucked. I understand OP proposed an option for original posters to enable tripcodes in their threads but what if sometimes the creators of those threads forget to enable that option?

>>384218
>it's a meme
fuck off you anime avatar faggot.
>>
>>384239
But it is a meme? As in the literal definition of the term meme, an idea that is spread through repetition. Not meme as in a humorous advice dog image caption. It's just a belief a lot of people share due to it being posted a lot, but it's not actually any kind of a substantial rule or guideline, since both the history of this site and the people running the site directly contradict it.

Would you prefer if I called it something like bandwagon or buzzword or something? I don't think those terms would be correct in this context.
>>
>>384246
It is an anonymous image board. That means even for storytime. Uncertainty is part of the nature of the beast.

People who feel the need to put on a trip are exactly the sort of people who don't belong here.
>>
>>384253
Fuck off and kill yourself already.
>>
File: 1440881754460.png (15 KB, 1304x296) Image search: [Google]
1440881754460.png
15 KB, 1304x296
>>384255
>It is an anonymous image board.
No, it isn't. It's an imageboard where you have the option to be anonymous. Anonymity is not, and never was, enforced.
>>
>>384255
If they upset you then use the fucking filter.
Stop being a whiny nigger.
>>
File: 1448166583369.jpg (7 KB, 255x220) Image search: [Google]
1448166583369.jpg
7 KB, 255x220
>current year+0
>still giving tripcucks the attention on here that they crave irl
>>
File: hiro tripfags.png (12 KB, 894x141) Image search: [Google]
hiro tripfags.png
12 KB, 894x141
>>384078
>>
>>384360
Did you read the OP?
>>
>>384367
>What's Hiro's opinion on tripcodes?

So I posted a screenshot of Hiro giving his opinion on tripcodes.
>>
>>384368
I asked if you read the OP, not just the first sentence.
>>
>>384078
I just don't read tripfag posts, literally as soon as I see a tripcode my eyes gloss over the post, unless it's on a hobby board like /k/ or /p/ where they're actually useful and mostly used for their intended purpose. I would support banning them on most boards like /mu/ and /int/ but we'd have to look very closely at which boards we banned them on
>>
>>384078
If you remove tripfag names, tripfags will still be attention whoring tards but they will be anonymous. Just let them stay so that you know when to sage them.
>>
>>384400
>>384408
ignoring it doesn't solve the problem
>>
File: shin.jpg (50 KB, 963x437) Image search: [Google]
shin.jpg
50 KB, 963x437
>>384422
With tripfags it actually does
>>
File: 1449348360850.png (166 KB, 346x352) Image search: [Google]
1449348360850.png
166 KB, 346x352
>>384218
I like how the people who replied to this post didn't even try to refute a single one of his points and just told him to kill himself or fuck off.

It's funny because they KNOW he's right.
>>
>>384386
I did read the rest of the OP, and none of it affects the way that I responded to OP's request. He asked for Hiro's opinion. I provided it because I was equipped to do so. Where is the issue?
>>
>>384423
The "problem" I was talking about is that you can't stop the derailment of threads due to people replying to tripfags.
>>
>>384469
Yes, you can. You tell people to ignore them and to stop being retarded. People on 4chan fall for retarded bait. You have to deal with that when creating a thread.
>>
>>384469
Recursively hide tripfags and people who respond to them if you really can't handle seeing them, it's like it never happened.
>>
>>384472
Are you serious? Telling people to not fall for bait never works and even acknowledging the derailment of the thread just derails it further.

>>384475
Seeing no posts by the filter is the equivalent of a dead thread.
>>
>>384466
>Where is the issue?

>Filtering tripcode abusers is what the majority of people do but not even that stops then from others replying to them and thus derailing the thread. Even if you filter, you have no control of the other people in the thread derailing it because one person decides to attach a signature with the help of the name field being abused.
>>
>>384497
I still cannot see how that relates at all to me answering the question "What's hiro's opinion on tripcodes?".
>>
>>384500
It addresses the point he made in his comment.
>>
>>384469
Replying to tripfags isn't derailment.
>>
>>384505
What is derailment to you?
>>
>>384502
Well then Hiro will have to come back and elaborate on his point. All I'm doing is giving the only known instance of him addressing the controversy. Don't shoot the messenger.
>>
>>384493
>Telling people not to reply to bait never works
Exactly. Just don't make a big deal of it. Try to keep everyone on task. It's retarded todo otherwise.
>>
>>384507
When a thread derails from what it's supposed to be about, ex. a thread about soccer morphs into an argument about the US government. I hardly, if ever, see the presence of tripfags derail a thread. Maybe you just browse shit boards.
>>
>>384507
Obviously it's veering off from the subject of the thread. Derailment can be pretty funny though, especially when it derails so far off the original subject that a comparison with the opening pos becomes comedic. Multi-drack drifting is the best though
>>
>>384510
>Just don't make a big deal of it.

It doesn't matter if you make a big deal of it or not, it's still going to happen no matter what you do.
>>
>>384511
>I hardly, if ever, see the presence of tripfags derail a thread.
>Maybe you just browse shit boards.

What a shit argument.

>I don't see it, therefore it doesn't exist
>if it exists, then you live in a shit place
>>
>>384517
The only boards I can imagine where it's an issue are boards like /v/ or /tv/, both of which are just big shitpost contests regardless of whether tripfags are involved.
>>
>>384517
>>if it exists, then you live in a shit place
You honestly probably do.
>>
>>384528
Tell me about the non-shit places on 4chan
>>
>>384524
>>384528
Are you implying 4chan isn't a shit hole?
>>
>>384531
Some boards are shittier than others.
>>
>>384529
/vr/, /m/, /trv/, most of /toy/, /o/, /t/
>>
>>384515
But if you take trip codes away, tripfags will still be retards but they'll be anonymous retards. Atleast, this way the tripfags will gain a reputation for shiteposting and be avoided.
>>
File: 1449460106585.png (54 KB, 210x180) Image search: [Google]
1449460106585.png
54 KB, 210x180
>>384535
>/m/
>not a shitehole
>>
File: 1444693293279.png (43 KB, 217x278) Image search: [Google]
1444693293279.png
43 KB, 217x278
>>384535
You seem to have the right idea
>>
>>384535
wew lad
>>
>>384535
>/o/
>/m/
>>
>>384536
>tripfags will still be retards but they'll be anonymous retards.

I have no problems with this.
>>
>>384544
Okay but remember if they gain notoriety for being retarded it's easier to avoid them. Also, people will always respond to bait regardless of trips.
>>
>>384552
>Okay but remember if they gain notoriety for being retarded it's easier to avoid them
It is, but the people who reply to them is the problem.

>Also, people will always respond to bait regardless of trips.
Again, no problems with this.

Also, you seem to be under the assumption that people are falling for the content of a tripfag's post. It's usually the mere presence of their tripcode/name that angers people. Then the thread derails ABOUT that specific trip. That's the thing I have a problem with.
>>
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Zodiac_Killer_letters#July_8th_1974
>since the court can send annonymously so can I
Holyshit. He went tripfag without tripcode.

>>384078
>Filtering tripcode
Smart people do this (I'm smart) but majorty of people here won't do that.
>>
>>384149
>Against democracy

Back to China with you.
>>
File: Selection_049.png (99 KB, 911x611) Image search: [Google]
Selection_049.png
99 KB, 911x611
I wouldn't use it because I'm not a little bitch that gets triggered by the slightest thing, but do you think a big chunk of the problems with tripfags would be fixed if this were an option with the inline built in 4chan extension?
>>
>>384289
If people complaining about tripcodes upsets you, use the fucking filter.
Stop being a whiny nigger.
>>
File: 1449301195768.png (598 KB, 638x476) Image search: [Google]
1449301195768.png
598 KB, 638x476
>yfw tipcodes will NEVER be universally removed and /qa/ shitters are going to be mad for all eternity
>>
You can't even ignore them because they start replying to themselves with anonymous posts.
>>
>>384769
Sounds to me like your problem is NOT-tripcodes.

You want everybody to have IDs.
>>
>>384799
ID's are just randomised tripcodes.

Allowing the OP to choose if trips are allowed isn't a great idea either, since that will just encourage tripfags to spam their own threads and try to beat everyone to the punch on places like /vg/ lest the majority of-anonymous-users don't have to put up with their attention whoring.
>>
>>384807
You just said your problem with tripfags was people replying to themselves anonymously.

So IDs would make that obvious.
>>
>>384810
I didn't say that. You've created two separate statements from what I actually said.
>>
>>384820
Okay so I'm assuming the post I'm quoting here is you. >>384769
>You can't even ignore them because they start replying to themselves with anonymous posts

So if they didn't do that, then you could ignore them.

So if they had post IDs then it would be obvious they were sockpuppetting.

And if OTHER IDs are replying to them, then that means they're not sockpuppetting, or that they've got some scripts or proxies or whatnot and are putting a load of effort into their shitposting.

That "load of effort" would be giving way too much credit to your average run of the mill shitposter.

I think IDs are the solution. Use 4chanx and anonymize everybody (meaning remove the name field display entirely from your 4chan experience) and request IDs be turned on.

On an unrelated note, why aren't IDs on everywhere? What does having IDs turned off do other than permit sockpuppetting and samefagging?
>>
>>384442
No, it's because he's already been well refuted in other threads about this and he just cheery picked them and ignored all the actual arguments to make himself seem right. Everyone just decided to pick at him for being a complete retard instead of even bothering
>>
>>384722
>rigged polls
>democracy
>>
>>385314
The poll has a captcha to it, not rigged :)
>>
File: png.png (651 KB, 1033x462) Image search: [Google]
png.png
651 KB, 1033x462
>>384078
>666 KB
Nice fake screenshot, Satan.
>>
>>385392
The votes in the OP are before the strawpoll exploit btw.
>>
File: file.png (80 KB, 248x305) Image search: [Google]
file.png
80 KB, 248x305
>>385973
Exploit?
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.