[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Punishment Methods
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
Let's discuss some different forms of punishment and how 4chan might benefit from including some of them. † denotes 4chan already has this.

>Comment Ghosting
Simply put, hiding the post from everybody except the poster.

>Post deletion†
Deleting a shitpost. Usually comes with a warning.

>Warning†
Informing the user they've fucked up and politely asking them to stop. Way more effective than you might assume. Far less effective than you want.

>Slow Punishment
AKA: Slow ban
IPs on the slow list are served slooooooowly. Pages take 40 seconds or so to load every time. Often makes users quit of their own volition.

>Ban†
Preventing a user from posting at all. Some forms of bans also prevent users from reading.

>Error Ban
Similar to slow punishment and stealth banning, but throws error codes at the user to make them think the site's broken and that's why they can't post.

>Stealth Ban
AKA: Shadowban, Hellban, Ghost Ban
Popular on Craigslist, Hacker News, Reddit, Stealth Bans are where all of your comments are ghosted, so you're the only one who can see your post and you don't know you're banned unless you go check using a proxy. Makes the troll feel unloved as nobody is replying to their hilarious epic bait.

>Prison Ban
AKA: Hellban, Ghettoban
Like Stealth Ban except everybody who's prison banned can see everybody else who's prison banned's posts. Trolls trolling trolls to a science. Let the worth of 4chan commune amongst themselves.
>>
>I'm a petty faggot, the post
>>
>>379772
>let's be SomethingAwful
>>
>>379775
>>379778
Back to /b/ you go, children
>>
>>379821
No, they're right.
>>
>>379825
You too.
>>
>>379825
No, they're not
>>
>>379772
Are you implying that the current forms of punishment are inadequate?
>>
>>379772
Most of those are bad ideas that will just insight the maximum level of autistic wrath of users that are inevitably given those punishments unfairly.
Unfair punishment will always happen you can't prevent that. These things might not piss off people who know they deserve it, but that one time you shadow ban someone who really doesn't deserve it and he finds out hours later after wasting so much time typing out replies and wondering like an idiot why nobody responded.

I don't know about you, but personally I'd feel like he mods were having a laugh at my expense rather than trying to teach me a lesson. Again, this is about the few people that will be unfairly punished, the ones who don't really deserve it.
I don't think I'd ever be able to really trust the mods after that. They would just make a ton of really pissed off enemies that way because it's deceptive.

At least when the punishment is up front people can get over it. Doing it with your ideas is throwing salt on the wound, that's not a good idea to do in an already volatile community.
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 680x598) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 680x598
>expending all that effort typing out your autism
>actually believing Hiro will read past the first suggestion before sending to to >>>/trash/
>>
>>379862
Do you have an example of anything from /qa/ being move to /trash/ ever?
>>
>>379772
>IM A GIANT FUCKING FAGGOT PLEASE RAPE MY FACE THE POST

Fuck off

Bans should only be a ban, nothing more and nothing else. Take your passive aggressive IM UPSET BUT TOO MUCH OF A PUSSY TO ACTUALLY BAN SOMEONE forums shit elsewhere
>>
>>379861
>At least when the punishment is up front people can get over it.

By changing their IP immediately.
>>
4chan uses static web pages, most of your suggestions are not compatible with static web pages.
>>
>>379772
>Prison ban

I actually really like that idea. That one in particular is fantastic.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.