[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't we use audio webms on every board? >we don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1449897954703.png (406 KB, 553x631) Image search: [Google]
1449897954703.png
406 KB, 553x631
Why can't we use audio webms on every board?

>we don't want 4chan turning into a video hosting service!!!!

The max filesize on a board specifically designed for audio webms (/wsg/) is like 4mb, this is never going to happen.
>>
Because you can just upload them and link them.
>>
>>379394
I can just upload and link all of my images too but there's no reason why I shouldn't post them here
>>
>>379398
Yes, because images are allowed on 4chan. But webms aren't, so just upload them and link them.
>>
>>379424
are you stupid or something
>>
Shitposting aside, there are legitimate reasons to introduce audio webms. As the internet has matured and speeds have grown faster, the web in general has moved from a text and image based medium to a video one.

More and more sites promote video content. Moot refused to allow webms initially due to his beliefs that the .gif format was somehow integral to the web experience he was used to.

Providing video support is just 4chan evolving alongside technology. And it's particularly egregious, because 4chan ALREADY supports audio webm on some boards. The software support is there; it just needs to be enabled globally.
>>
>>379434
this absolutely

it's not like wsg is going to lose relevance either, naturally it would still be used for webm dumps on a particular topic
>>
>>379438
Yeah. Gifs still have their place, but webm opens up a lot of new possibilities.

The only reason we didn't have wide support for video in the past is due to technology limitations.

I'd also like to see every board get .PDF support as well.
>>
>>379382
I don't understand this either. There's literally no good reason to force webms without audio. No webms at all or webms with audio, not like this when tons of users create no sound webms.

-Literally every other imageboard I've seen has webms with sound
-All of them support biggers filesizes and something like VP9
-From all the tens of thousands of webms I've seen only couple have been screamers, and even then you could notice it from the "screamer" reply spam.
-If mods are so scared of screamers you can just set all webms to open muted and/or ban people who post screamers.
-There are tons of /wsg/ threads only because the original board didn't have sounds (vidya threads, kpop threads, movie threads, sport threads. There is even a thread for crossposting webms with sound to other boards)
-Audio stream has a really low impact on the size
-Posting webms without sound is almost like posting static gifs. You can do it but that's not how it was meant to be.
-Like I said other imageboards are now filled with shitty 3mb nosound webms all thanks to 4chan.
I really don't get why they don't change it or why Moot disabled audio in the first place.
>>
>>381584
Probably to avoid people pulling screamers all over the place.
>>
>>381597
It's like every other imageboard is full of screamers right? No one is going to spam screamers and if they are just ban them, every fucking problem solved and everyone wins
>>
>>381584
>Posting webms without sound is almost like posting static gifs.
That's exactly why. Webms are meant to be GIF replacements, because 4chan is an imageboard, not a videoboard.
>>
>>381623
>Webms are meant to be GIF replacements
According to who? Gif are perfect in reaction gifs, and moving drawings and small animations. Webms are perfect in 10sec-1min videos so that you don't always have to link a +40min Youtube video with correct timestamps.
I don't care if they were meant to be HD gifs, but everyone likes the webms with audio on other sites whereas here tons of people complain every day why they can't post webms with sounds outside /wsg/ and /gif/

>4chan is an imageboard, not a videoboard.
We've had flashes for ages, should they be removed too? And gifs are short videos too, maybe we should only allow static gifs :^)

I've never heard anyone on other sites saying "I wish these webms didn't have sounds". I don't get why some people are against it here.
>>
>>381642
They reject it because

>people hate change
And
>moot didn't support it and most people here are bandwagoners
>>
WEBMS ARE NOT SUPPORTED ON ALL MAJOR BROWSERS (not supported on IE and safari)

No more webms!
>>
File: 12673182116.jpg (36 KB, 337x318) Image search: [Google]
12673182116.jpg
36 KB, 337x318
>>381660
>IE and safari
>>
posting here instead of a new thread

webms and images have been loading dreadfully slow lately. is it just me?
>>
>>379382
Because the site is a image board not a video board. webms were only added as a extension of .gif and .gif don't have sound my friend
>>
>>382431
No, 4chan's servers are slow as fuck. Which is strange because you'd thought they have enough revenue to get a bit better servers and also when the file limit is so low, there's only one image per post limit and old threads get deleted really quickly
>>
File: 1439444900838.gif (2 MB, 320x228) Image search: [Google]
1439444900838.gif
2 MB, 320x228
>>381604
>implying you can successfully advocate for the entirety of 4chan's trolls
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.