[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember back when we called memes "pop culture references"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: top_zura01.jpg (211 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
top_zura01.jpg
211 KB, 800x800
Remember back when we called memes "pop culture references" and "running jokes"?
>>
Remember when the definition of trolling was more specific than just "making people mad on the Internet"?
>>
>>378219
God I fucking hate the twitter trend of just calling people you don't like 'trolls', it's like that period where tumblr completely misinterpreted the use of 'feels'
>>
>>378230
Now you know what cultural appropriation feels like
>>
>>378232
Yes I do, and it's the one tumblr ideology I can get behind, societies are better off fucking segregated, especially on the internet. (/edge)
>>
>>378150
no?
the word "meme" is older than 4chan, retard
>>
>>378242

What makes you think 'we' meant '4chan', Anon?
>>
i still call them image macros. come at me.
>>
>>378230
how exactly did they misinterpret it?
>>
>>378219
don't worry, it's called "bait" now.
>>
>>378276
This infuriates me. When people say "hey guys, check out this meme I made"
>>
File: 2658335-2320884931.jpg (121 KB, 450x548) Image search: [Google]
2658335-2320884931.jpg
121 KB, 450x548
>>378337
>This infuriates me.
seek psychiatric help
>>
>>378341
Good one.
>>
>>378219

I guess there are four epochs of -trolling-

1. Trolling (defend a faulty viewpoint or bring upon poorly interpreted information to incite flame wars)
2. "Trolling" (haha u mad bro?)
3. "Ruse Manning" (haha you got caught in my scheme)
4. "Baiting" (haha you got caught in my bait)

Am i correct?
>>
>>378347
Trolling is all of those things though. It's baiting, being an epic ruseman, and "trollling" all wrapped up into one obnoxious package. But hey, trolling is good as long as it snaps someone out of their mindless complacency.
>>
Meme is far too bloated of a word. It basically just means "Thing" except with respect to things you think about.

Patriotism is a meme.

This sentence is a meme.

Millhouse is not a meme is a meme.

We really should split them back up in our mind, in the same sense that "thing" and "stuff" are words your English teacher will get grumpy at you for using, we need to get grumpy at people for saying "meme."

Image Macro, Running Joke, Pop Culture Reference, Letmotif, Tropes, Ragefaces, Advice Animals, DeviantartCharts, Slang Words, Jingles, Slogans, and FADS are all better words for memes than "meme".

Using the word "meme" should mean that your vocabulary is limited unless you are actually talking about the higher order of the relationship between facets of memetics.
>>
I don't remember anything anymore
>>
>>378150
>>378526
I wonder how easy it would be to spread a meme that "memes" are dumb and see if it causes people to just go back to calling them jokes.

I bet just relentlessly greentexting "meme" every time someone mentions it for a few weeks would do the trick.
>>
>>378575
The internet is destroying our ability to remember things. Look it up.
>>
>>378588
>I wonder how easy it would be to spread a meme that "memes" are dumb and see if it causes people to just go back to calling them jokes.
It's impossible, that was literally what we were trying to do on [s4s] and instead the memers took over and made it into literal memes
shit is absurd
>>
File: you_.jpg (70 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
you_.jpg
70 KB, 480x640
A meme is any image with black outlined white impact text at the top and bottom. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>378600
Images with black outlined white impact font text are indeed memes. So is the word 'cabbage'.

Images with black outlined white impact font text are also called "image macros" and very few other things are called an image macro, so that's a much better thing to call them.
>>
File: twinkie fruit.jpg (113 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
twinkie fruit.jpg
113 KB, 800x500
>>378150
It became really annoying on /v/ because you can completely dismiss a games quality once you spot a pop culture reference, of course only applies for the modern games that are 100% shit unlike my childhood full of wonders and excellent writing.
>>
File: IMPACT.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMPACT.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
>>378672
>>378600
IMPACT?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.