[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was 4chan like in 2003-2005?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12
File: nevada.jpg (48 KB, 658x768) Image search: [Google]
nevada.jpg
48 KB, 658x768
What was 4chan like in 2003-2005?
>>
Kill yourself and find out
>>
it was an autistic, cringeworthy meme-fest
>>
>>377967
It was shit. The only reason oldfags look back on it with nostalgia is because they were underage teenagers at the time with retard-tier senses of humor.
>>
>>377970
>>378000
>I saw a few old screenshots and now I'm a 4chan pro
>>
File: 1449630192563.jpg (120 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449630192563.jpg
120 KB, 640x480
>>378031
*tips fedora*
>>
>>378031
*tips fedora*
>>
/qa/ is probably the worst place to ask this.
>>
>>377967
Slow as fuck
>>
File: 1446158324053.jpg (33 KB, 640x784) Image search: [Google]
1446158324053.jpg
33 KB, 640x784
>>378047
>/qa/
>not full of oldfags
smdh
>>
>>377967
We were all underaged so we were full of energy and mirth. We look back fondly on that time. We used phrases like "epic win" without irony. We were able to enjoy ourselves and be a community of like minded anonymous friends without letting the emergent behaviour take over.

It was a paradise that attracted serpents.
>>
>>377970
>>378000
Newfags who got Internet yesterday.
>>
>>378112
>blinded nostalgiafag
>>
File: 1447557373613.jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447557373613.jpg
64 KB, 500x500
>>378112
>muh nostalgia
consider suicide friend
>>
>>378033
>>378058
>>378117
what are you trying to accomplish here?
>>
File: good work friend.png (4 KB, 331x129) Image search: [Google]
good work friend.png
4 KB, 331x129
>>378122
t. professional detective
>>
>>378117
>>378114
>EDfags/screencapsfags
>>
I don't understand why everyone talks so much shit about old 4chan. Their meme spewing was what made 4chan a thing. The only reason 4chan is even alive now is because of the reputation it built in the past.
>>
>>378125
*tips fedora*
>>
Just read this.
https://github.com/bibanon/4chan.doc/releases
>>
http://tanasinn.info/wiki/Complete_History_of_4chan#2006
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (286 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
286 KB, 1600x1200
>>
>>378204
>trial board added
>/3/
ONLY 194756 TO GO GUYS
>>
>>378204
That's fake
>>
>>378130
they talk shit about it because people glorify it so much
it was only "good" because it was so innocent, and so different than everything else of the time
>>
>>378212
>4chan
>Innocent
no
>>
>>378213
>early 4chan
>not innocent
it was kids having fun, now it's just angry old men
>>
ITT: 2013 pals showing off their epic ED/LURKMOAR/0037 wiki/shii wiki knowledge
>>
>>378214
I love how redditors try to make sense of early 4chan, and how they interpet its history in their favor. It's pure revisionism. They used to be way more silly, but by no means were they innocent. Invasions were common in 2006 already. Even moot took part in the habbo hotel raids. They used to invade websites like Livejasmin or Stickam, often bringing camwhores to tears. They mislead newfags to open a batch file so that all of their personal documents were spammed all over 4chan. They looked up to a mod that would be hated and considered corrupt today. Cracky-chan had to quit the internet because she was stalked to the point she feared for her life.

I could give so many more examples.
>>
>>378246
*tips fedora*
>>
>>378248
I know you had fun anon
I did too, but you're trying too hard
>>
>>378248

Exactly, dude. Kids having fun. Not angry, bitter, late-twenties losers. The rules might've made this place 18+ but even moot was underage at that point, it was all bored kids with nothing else to do and little in the way of a social life. Do you think working, functioning adults would've had the time, or even WANTED, to do any of that shit?

I'm not going to pretend to be from that era, I got here 2009 maybe 2010. But I'm calling it as I've seen it
>>
>>378253

(building on this)
The population then had to be either kids or NEETs or losers in their late teens/very early twenties. And judging from the post quality in some of the more mundane screencaps we've all seen, I'd bet money it leaned in the "kid" spectrum
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hFBPWZBFQQ
>>
>>378248
You seem to be using a different definition of innocent from the person you're replying to. I agree with your definition of innocent, meaning, 'Not responsible for crimes' as old 4chan is absolutely responsible for crimes such as raids and the like.

However, the person you're replying to meant 'Young and Naive' when they said 'innocent' so the two of you are just arguing past each other.

Neither of you did anything wrong.
>>
Probably a playground for autistic weeaboo teenagers.

4chans major problem is that people from this era are still mods. Their shitty attitude is the reason we have wordfilters today.
Everything bad about 4chan can be traced to this early era.
>>
>>378500
That's bullshit. Mods have grown up and left in way faster numbers now, especially since reddit turned up.
>>
>>378500
There were wordfilters back then you roodypoo
>>
>>378507
Then the problem is that the mods are romanticizing the early 4chan-mentality, trying to be like the hella epic oldfags..

>>378548
Yes I know that, the reason we have wordfilters today is because it was a thing on early 4chan.
>>
Same shit, old memes.
>>
>>378500
>Everything bad about 4chan can be traced to this early era.
No it can't. Early 4chan was just a place people used fr discussions and have some fun and enjoying themselves. Pretty much every site problem can be traced back to when people started going to the site in insane numbers for the 'le meme' and 'le haxor' bullshit and overrunning the older userbase and forcing stupid change. Oldfags are old cranky nostalgia fags because the new userbase is retards who lack any creatively, generalfags, do nothing but post low effort baiting shitposting memes, think the website is incapable of holding any form of discussion and outright actually hate the site and don't enjoy coming here
>>
>>378500
>wordfilters are bad
Opinion discarded
>>
>>378500
If you hate the current word filters you are the cancer killing this site.
>>
File: mpv-shot0295.png (806 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0295.png
806 KB, 1280x720
>>378798
Thanks anon for the perfect example of what I said
>>
>>378802
This whole thread's rather depressing and I thought you could use a laugh.
>>
>>378798
You can't accuse somebody of posting bait, say well memed, tip a fedora, AND use a tripcode in the same fucking post. Jesus CHRIST. SLOW DOWN.
>>
File: 1441491760118.png (175 KB, 295x366) Image search: [Google]
1441491760118.png
175 KB, 295x366
>>378724
>current year
>thinking any form of discussion possible on 4chan is worth having
smdh
>>
>>378248
>mfw /pol/ gets butthurt when you point out the hal turner raids
B-BUT 4CHAN WAS ALWAYS NAZIS
>>
Lots of Osaka.
>>
why is there no more /l/-lolikon board anymore

>inb4 whiteknights

it would be a good containment board at least
>>
>>377967
The average user was less ignorant. I don't mean that as an insult for new users, I'm using the dictionary definition of ignorance:

>lacking knowledge or awareness in general

The current users aren't stupid, and the older users weren't more intelligent. They just happened to be less ignorant and more aware of what was going on. They don't lurk enough to get the general feel of a board.

I'll give an example of ignorance- on one of the boards I visit, I've seen people asking for "sauce" or "source plz" (or worse, accusing posters of making shit up) for major events that happened only a week or two previously and received worldwide news coverage. It happens too frequently for it to just be trolling.

All of that means that if the average user of today took the time to lurk moar and use internet search (pick your favorite) a lot of the current problems with 4chan would be solved.
>>
>>378790 (kek)
This baka desu senpai.
>>
>>379128
Containment boards are incubators.
>>
>>378724
>Early 4chan was just a place people used fr discussions and have some fun and enjoying themselves
Like I said earlier, it was a playground for autistic weeaboo teenagers. That's not a good thing.

>>378799
Why do you think it's acceptable to censor certain words?
>>
>>379729
4chan still is a playground for autistic weeaboos, anon. Deal with it.
>>
>>378246
The sad part is I was around during the world2ch era, so I'll just post some of my worthless opinions. 0037 is batshit insane and everything he writes on his wiki is biased. Shii was also biased and always thought his opinion was somehow relevant. ED doesn't even have history in it and Lurkmoar is cringe worthy.
None of the wikis or screenshots people use as examples of the era are accurate. Most of the wikis are the insane ramblings of old tripfags and the screencaps people post of old 4chan are usually from memespewing threads off of /b/.

What made early 4chan great was the community. Sure, they were a bunch of retards off of SA trying so hard to post things which would get them banned off of SA for "teh lulz" but it was still quite entertaining. There was also the part of the community which migrated over from world2ch when it shut down. Early 4chan was somekind of strange mixture between foreign memes form Futaba and 2channel and memes off of SA. Of course, if I remember correctly, the word "meme" wasn't thrown around everywhere like it is today. Early 4chan wasn't the utopia many claim it was but it is still objectively better than the hellhole 4chan is today. 4chan's culture changed over time and some parts could be said to have been better or worse; though 2014-2015 is the longest stretching shit period that the site has gone through. We have become indistinguishable from the rest of the internet and lost the "spirit" of things.

Of course, these are just my crazed ramblings so I don't recommend quoting me on any of this shit.
>>
File: mpv-shot0766.png (987 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0766.png
987 KB, 1920x1080
>>379729
>Like I said earlier, it was a playground for autistic weeaboo teenagers. That's not a good thing.
No, it was a good thing, you fuckfaceturdnugget. A lot of the people then were normalfag as fuck, but, most people when they came here cast away their faggot social norms and acted like the autistic retards they are. A hobbyist discussion site that doesn't have people acting like autistic fucks about their hobbies, is shit and boring as hell. The weirdness is what made it great and fun and its the reason for why it was considered more creative. The website is still autistic anime-posters playground and forevermore will be even if you outright globally banned it from the site. The core parts of the sites culture is built around that jap-shit

The website is going to hell because modern new posters outright refuse to adapt the old spirit and autism and instead act like this place is the same as the rest of the internet
>>
>>379797
I like you anon, you seem like an intelligent person.
>>
>>379130
I think that can actually be attributed to the speed increase of 4chan.

When boards go slower you don't mind taking the time to search or look something up to verify what someone said before commenting because by the time you get back you'll still be the very next comment, or close to it.

When posting speed is fast people feel pressured to comment more quickly because every post that gets put between theirs and yours makes it less likely anyone who read that persons post is going to see your rebuttal. That leads to people being less likely to take the time we all need in order to make rational comments, so everyone just comes across like an irrational idiot when that might not really be the case.
>>
>>379812
Adding more boards and making to mods move threads to their proper boards (Moderation is a key aspect in this, the current mods don't do anything. A rule rewrite could also be helpful.) could fix a lot of issues. It would slow down boards enough to allow for proper discussion as well as evenly spread site traffic to smaller boards.
>>
This thread is a really good indicator actually
>>>/tv/63649621
>>
>>379841
Why is /tv/ so comfy?

Truly the best of boards, despite its waves of capeshit and starshit.
>>
>>379791
written like a true 2014 tryhard newfag.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dXKIfSFwt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar4WzQ7KHak
http://i.imgur.com/jl83M.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMt0zivAYds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2H6bVy-qxc

4chan stopped being good when 4chan stopped having content made for it. Assholes bullied everybody good off the site for being "attention whores".
>>
File: 1216672583242.jpg (50 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
1216672583242.jpg
50 KB, 750x600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hFBPWZBFQQ
>>
>>378548
Only on /b/, with a few wordfilters also popping up on individual boards. Correct me if I'm wrong because I won't pretend to be an oldfag, but I'm pretty sure sitewide wordfilters like the current one are pretty much unprecedented.
>>
>>382388
stop shilling for your shitty videos faggot
>>
>>382447
Okay if you don't want to watch them on youtube, you can watch them here.

http://4chan.org/flash
>>
>>382421
Helllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo reddit
>>
>>382451
OK, what were the wordfilters and how long were they active? I'm curious.
>>
>>382466
just to name one even you know
FBI -> 4chan Party Van
>>
>>378058
it's been shit here since the hiro QA announcement
Proof: you're here
>>
>>382472
I did know about that one. I legitimately thought it was only ever on /b/. Like I said, I make it no secret that I'm a newfag.

Was wapanese --> weeaboo a sitewide wordfilter as well or only on /b/?
>>
File: 1092268936036.jpg (32 KB, 460x499) Image search: [Google]
1092268936036.jpg
32 KB, 460x499
>>377967
from /v/ in 2004
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.