[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fix the mods.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11
File: Gotta_efdb26_1122335.jpg (57 KB, 695x585) Image search: [Google]
Gotta_efdb26_1122335.jpg
57 KB, 695x585
I have a cure-all solution for corrupt (and otherwise retarted) moderation, its simple, give mods a fucking identification of some sort, and you can file an abuse report, after each report has been checked, its added to a tally keeping track of unfair bans, once they reach 5-10 unfair bans, they no longer get to be moderators, if you still want to keep them anonymous, don't give then an Identification, but make it so you can report the ban, and it still gets added to their tally, there would be so many mods that would lose their positions if we did this.
>>
That mod did nothing wrong
>>
>>376260
Other then that that picture was clearly not of op in the current state.
>>
>>376273

mods can ban whoever they want on /b/, they don't need any reason
>>
>>376279
If we have to follow the rules, so should they.
>>
The use of 4chan is a privilege, not a right etc...
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (5 KB, 350x123) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
5 KB, 350x123
>>376288
Remember: The use of 4chan is a privilege, not a right. The 4chan moderation team reserves the right to revoke access and remove content for any reason without notice.
>>
>>376299
>>376297
Yeah, we know how they justify their bullshit. That's the reason this site is in such a shit state
>>
>>376299
Whatever, they're the ones losing out on ad revenue when users migrate to another imageboard.
>>
File: 1449600689035.png (94 KB, 804x200) Image search: [Google]
1449600689035.png
94 KB, 804x200
>>376299
How does that explain this bullshit.
>>
>>376305
How's turning into a secret club "losing" again? This is perfect, keep up banning cancer mods.
>>
OP, dude

i agree that mood identification would be good, but only am idiot would expect /b/ to be a HELPFUL PLACE OF EQUALITY

/b/ is crap. its why we love it. getting banned for no reason is part of the fun.

tl;dr, get a VPN & stfu
>>
>>376304
You would be permabanned for this post if you were here 8 years ago. If you want professionalism, this site isn't for you.
>>
>>376307
That's good, mods aren't moralfags.
>>
>>376312
See
>>376307 (You)
And YOU need to stfu.
>>
>>376315
That still doesn't justify the ban, tardo.
>>
>>376313
I was here 8 years ago retard. And no, I wouldn't.

The mods have gotten exponentially more touchy and ban happy as time goes by. It's gotten really bad in the last year. And it's never anything that actually should be banned. It's always something that bothers them personally.

The current crop of mods needs to be fired, and the new mods need global IDs
>>
>>376321
Finally, someone with some common sense.
>>
>>376322
There's plenty of us who think the same
>>
>>376336
No it's just you samefagging
>>
>>376347
Why don't you check our IPs and see
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-11-17-48-06.png (120 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-11-17-48-06.png
120 KB, 480x800
>>376347
Try again autism Audrey!
>>
File: 1222849544962.gif (55 KB, 808x1062) Image search: [Google]
1222849544962.gif
55 KB, 808x1062
>>376321
>And no, I wouldn't.
Oh, you're so innocent. Mods used to ban you for absolutely no reason, consider yourself lucky that they can't do this anymore.
>>
>>376350
Yes, yes. We all know how moot used to ban people like they did on SA.
>>
>>376257
What a terribly incomplete thought.
>>
>>376354
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>376356
I elaborated about as far as the thought OP had. This thread will pop up again in a week or so with a more complete thought, I'll debate the merits of it then.
>>
>>376363
Explain a single pitfall of this other than people filing false reports.
>>
>>376257
>once they reach 5-10 unfair bans, they no longer get to be moderators
Enjoy having no moderation staff after the first week. Takes time to get new staff so we won't be able to replace them as quick as people will report them.
>>
Giving the mods a form of identification to the general populace will just lead to witch hunts, it already happens every time there are staff leaks. Any kind of user controlled sanctioning of mods will just lead to abuse for the same reason.

You can already contest moderation decisions via /feedback/ or by the appeal function. If you think a ban was given improperly link the post number with your complaint.

Keep in mind though, just because you think a ban is unfair doesn't mean anyone else is going to agree with you.
>>
>>376379
People wouldn't hate the mods if the mods didn't misuse their absolute power constantly.

>>376377
If the mods are bad enough that people are reporting them that fast, then there's obviously a problem.
>>
>>376405
>If the mods are bad enough that people are reporting them that fast, then there's obviously a problem.
How do you sort false reports out? As I am pretty sure that a fair few users will just send in a report just because a mod banned them no matter if it was a justified ban or not.
Also you still didn't answer how you would fill in the gap from firing mods all the time would be filled. You can't just pick random people off a board and expect them to do a good job you need people to actually vet they are qualified. If all the mods are gone then who is there left to actually do that? Hiro isn't familiar with the site enough to do that right now before you say he is fine.
>>
>>376405
>>376408
Just to add to my post.
>If the mods are bad enough that people are reporting them that fast, then there's obviously a problem.
If you go by what is posted on /qa/ all the time then all mods are bad. Well other than kinomod on /a/ I guess.
>>
>>376411
Because they are. The only ones people like are the ones that build cults of personalities around themselves like "kinomod" or swaglord.

>>376408
>fire mod
>promote janitor in his place
>keep doing this until a mod doesn't piss people off.
And most importantly
>actually pay attention to reports and look at why they're filed instead of just ignoring them like they do with regular mods

There are no consequences for mods doing a poor job currently. That's a problem.

The mods hate the users, as evidenced from their chatlogs. That's a problem.

The mods don't understand the boards they mod, and actively hate some of them. That's a problem.

The mods are currently a problem, and they need to be fixed.
>>
>>376321
This anon gets it. Now we need Hiro to get on here so we can show him
>>
>>376416
>>promote janitor in his place
Yea and people keep bitching about them as well so how will that help? Aren't the current Janitors all mod approved? So what is to say they aren't as corrupt?

>>actually pay attention to reports and look at why they're filed instead of just ignoring them like they do with regular mods
Who will do that? Mods won't be able to as they will have a bias since they will likely favour themselves. The users can't as they have a bias since they hate mods. So we are now going to need some kind of independent moderator panel for the moderators as well otherwise it isn't going to work.

>There are no consequences for mods doing a poor job currently. That's a problem.
Make the bans page show all bans. Can then see how well they are really doing. Also an independent oversight board idea is better than yours in my opinion (though how they are to be vetted I have no idea).

>The mods hate the users, as evidenced from their chatlogs. That's a problem
The users also hate the users if you go by how much they throw out boogymans at each other in threads.

>The mods don't understand the boards they mod, and actively hate some of them. That's a problem.
Make moderators board specific then since currently they are global.

>The mods are currently a problem, and they need to be fixed.
Sure there are problems. Just your way is going to leave us worse off since we will be without any mods or quality applicants if they are going to be fired at the whims of the userbase (who will probably always hate mods).
>>
>>376436
I said with some sort of report review process to verify the integrity of the reports.
>>
>>376436
While the janitors could (and likely are) just as corrupt as the current crop of mods, they're also the most able to take over quickly.

I don't see how making all bans public could possibly prove if the mods are doing a good job or not save for allowing easy access to proof of unfair bannings. It doesn't solve the issue of unwarranted deletions, and it still doesn't provide any kind of checks and balances system.

As for who oversees the removal of mods, it would have to be Hiro, since he makes the hiring decisions for the mods. Once he receives enough complaints about a single IDed mod, he would review the case, then make a ruling on it, and explain why he found that ruling valid/invalid. If he sees that they've done a poor job, but decides not to remove them, then they'd at least get the nipplemod treatment.

This would also serve to provide a list of judgements on unwritten rules or board culture specific rulings.

This takes away a good deal of the mod's unchecked power, the lack of consequences they face, and strips them of their aura of infallibility.
>>
File: file.png (150 KB, 853x428) Image search: [Google]
file.png
150 KB, 853x428
You really can't justify this.
>>
>>376449
>shitposting
>40th ban
I am pretty sure you can.
>>
>>376445
You are putting a lot on Hiro with expecting him to actually know what is justified or not. If anything he is far more likely to go along with a stricter ban policy with how new to the site he is. Which would probably line up better with the mods policy than the users.
Also people are also starting to say Hiro is actually a cause of problems currently. Just look at people complaining about him in the /aco/ /d/ threads on here or in the thread about the malware redirect etc.
>>
>>376260
DINDU NUFFIN* ftfy
>>
>>376457
I don't know what the hell is going on, but Hiro needs to understand people are getting fed up with how the mods are doing their jobs
>>
File: 1449783026263.png (106 KB, 1330x452) Image search: [Google]
1449783026263.png
106 KB, 1330x452
>>376469
I would rather he actually got to know how to be a proper admin before he starts dabbling with the moderators.
Though he comes on /qa/ every now and again so I expect he has seen threads about mods before now but hasn't got involved. Same with the /d/ /aco/ threads that have been around for months now.
>>
>>376321
>I was here 8 years ago

I really doubt that.
>>
File: 1446012095170.jpg (18 KB, 247x245) Image search: [Google]
1446012095170.jpg
18 KB, 247x245
>>376449
>tfw static IP
>tfw have to follow the rules
>>
>>376307
that's not /pol/-related
>>
>>376449
>>376484
Tbh this is probably the 1st year on 4chan where im actually paranoid of getting banned for nothing.
>>
>>376416
>The mods are currently a problem, and they need to be fixed.
Don't try fucking pretending that the users aren't just as much as a problem. If anything, the users are a bigger problem than the mods half arsing their jobs. If you want to help the site, fucking start with that

>>376257
>>376350
>people these days outright hate this shit
It's sad really. This shits fucking fun and funny, even if it happens to you
>>
File: 1346402626450.jpg (197 KB, 1172x358) Image search: [Google]
1346402626450.jpg
197 KB, 1172x358
>>376512
>implying
I also think it is funny, only OP doesn't.
>>
>>376493
Yes it is, if it weren't, It would be a ban for unrelated content.
>>
>>376512
We need both sides working together: Users to actually use the report feature, and bring back visible sage to help get rid of cancerous threads, but we also need mods to stop acting like shit heads. Case in point with /d/, /v/, /tv/, /aco/, /g/, the list goes on. Maybe when these mods learn they have to work with us in order to fix the site the better things will be. But I do not see that happening at all because the mods fucking hate the users
>>
>>377650
Honestly if it gets any worse I'm just going to migrate do one of the other Chan websites.
>>
>>377669
It's gotten terrible this year.

For the last year every time I post I always make sure I'm doing it on a different IP, since the mods hand out bans constantly for stupid shit.

I've received bans for agreeing with other users on some boards. It's ridiculous.
>>
File: moot.png (108 KB, 881x455) Image search: [Google]
moot.png
108 KB, 881x455
>>
>>377715
I miss this sort of this. The other day someone posted on /qa/ about how they got banned for posting in a dub thread, gotten dubs and the mod banned him. It was the 44th ban? and so the mod dub banned him for 44 days. It was fucking funny and the only thing faggot anons could do was complain about 'mod abuse'
>>
>>377789
People might be okay with mods making jokes like that if they didn't actually misuse their powers constantly
>>
4chan is made up of its users, not the moderation. A gardener can prune a tree, but he does not make it grow.
>>
File: wut.png (51 KB, 931x273) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
51 KB, 931x273
Mods a shit. To operatorchan I go.
>>
>>376449
>>377924
If you're gonna ban someone permanently for getting around 40 bans you should at least let them see how many times they've been banned so they know that they're walking on fucking eggshells.
>>
>>377942

It'd be nice to know that was actually me and not someone else.

I've had this IP for a year after I've moved and I haven't gotten banned THAT much, even including warnings.

Also I think the mods don't even read appeals.
>>
>>376349
>phonefag
You deserve to be banned.
>>
>>377942

You literally get a personal message every time you are banned. You may not know the exact amount, but you must surely know if you are catching bans regularly.
>>
>>377966
>maximum damage control.
>>
>>377966
Wow, look, another NEET that's clearly pissed off that he has nothing to do so he just sits at his pc all day.
>>
>>376257
Or stop being a bitch, etc
>>
hey guys knew just wanted to say hi hehe! :)
triforce amirite??
>>
>>379883
You are right! :^)
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.