[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the reasons why people still use 4chan? People say it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1450149895517.jpg (267 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1450149895517.jpg
267 KB, 1280x1280
What are the reasons why people still use 4chan? People say it's one of the better communities, but that's not necessarily true, I think it might be because of 3 simple reasons

>anonymity
You can post any opinion you want and change it instantly without fear, you don't have to carry the weight of your old posts (unless you are tripfag in which case you're retarded)

>speed ans convenience
As soon as you write something you are guarranteed to get a response in a relatively short time as long as the it is interesting enough, on other sites you have to wait and keep refreshing the page

>interface
The interface despite being ancient is very user friendly and quick to get used to, there's little bointless bullshit
>>
I use 4chan for gay anime and posting about how I love the Confederacy and the IRA
>>
>>386527
The anonymity point you make doesn't really apply all that much to me, since most of the posts I make don't really make that much of a splash. I imagine that this is true for most people who try to use the site legitimatley, IE people who aren't just here to shitpost 24/7.

The speed awnser kind of applies, but that's not at all unique to 4chan. That's more or less true for any site with a large user base, whereas if you use a site with a smaller community then you're not going to get replies quickly. 4chan is no exception to that, you might get a reply in a minute or two on a fast board, but on slow boards, the ones with less users, you might have to wait days to have someone reply to a legitimate post.

I will agree that the interface is nice though, minimalist and easy to use. Definitely the best thing moot ever did for this site was not to fuck it up as time went by.

The main reason I use 4chan though is because of the community. Not because the community is good or anything, it's obviously shit, but because I can easily get my point across here and most of the time people will try to figure out what I'm trying to say no matter how unusual the ideas I'm trying to posit might be.

Besides that, I like how each poster is more or less equal. Everyone gets an equal platform for their ideas and as such people only judge posts based on their individual merit, recurring digits notwithstanding. I would say that shitposting is the exception to this rule, but desu senpai, if the shitpost is the only post that's getting attention in the thread then the chances are that there aren't any other posts worth paying attention to anyway.
>>
>>386967
Finally, I wanted to add that 4chan has a sort of culture that enforces a special blend of personal responsibility and inclusivity. Basically, if you take the time to learn the basics of each board, then you can have in depth conversations about the topics covered on each board without having to worry about whether or not people are going to understand what you're talking about.

If you can understand the basic concepts, then people will respect your right to speak. If you have special knowledge about a given subject, then people will treat you with respect when you speak. If you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, people will chew you the fuck out, or just straight up ignore you.

That's probably my favorite thing about 4chan. You don't have to be intelligent to post here, by any means, but willful ignorance is not tolerated. As it should be in any intellectual space.

inb4
>implying 4chan is an intellectual space
Every forum of discussion is an intellectual space of some kind. It might not exactly be high brow, but it's still a place where discussions occur regardless.
>>
>>386967

If you think anonymity only protects shitposting, you should go back to whatever non anonymous forum you came from or lurk moar.

https://youtu.be/a_1UEAGCo30?t=47

Educate yourself.
>>
>>386527
>anonymity
This is true, I can call out leftists on their shit and then not have them cyberstalk me back to /a/ when I am trying to discuss anime.
>>
I like it because it's a pretty lightweight website and works perfectly on my old ass PC.
>>
>>386967
>>386971
what a shallow and embarrassing "analysis", you reek of reddit
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.