[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question about avatarfagging. I think either the rule needs clarification,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9
File: shrug.jpg (294 KB, 768x625) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
294 KB, 768x625
Question about avatarfagging. I think either the rule needs clarification, or mods need to be less liberal with it.

If somebody is making on topic quality posts and using various pictures that fit the 'mood' of the post like any other reaction image, should it really matter if the pictures are of the same character?

There is a poster in a general I visit that actually makes good posts. They're never inflammatory, always on topic, etc. Perfectly reasonable posts by ANY stretch of the imagination. But they keep getting deleted because they have an anime picture of the same character. Even though the picture always matches the post contents in some way.

I think the rules should either be changed to clarify what constitutes an avatar, or jannies should be instructed as to what constitutes an avatar.

What does it really matter if the posts are good?
>>
File: shrug.jpg (70 KB, 768x625) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
70 KB, 768x625
>>360236
Am I an avatarfag now? Or am I just using an image to visually represent the theme of my post, on an image board.
>>
>>360236
>>360237

On what boards is avatarfagging an issue? I honestly only vaguely understand the concept and it never seems to come up on my home board. Do you just mean posting reaction images?
>>
File: shrug.jpg (69 KB, 768x625) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
69 KB, 768x625
>>360239
It's a general on /vg/, some anon is posting with reaction images of the same character. Though there's no way to really know if he's doing it for every post.

And nearly every post he makes gets deleted no matter how much it contributes to the discussion. It's mostly just getting on my nerves trying to navigate a conversation and having all these posts just missing.

/vg/ is ripe with tripfags and namefags who just shitpost and off-topic for attention. But they never get targeted.

Yet an anon making decent posts with multiple reaction images of the same anime character is getting hammered 24/7.

To my understanding, using an avatar on 4chan is when a poster uses the same image every post as a means of identification. Regardless of the contents of the post. The rules don't state that you can't post the same character multiple times, or how many times before it's considered avatarfagging.

It seems like the definition of the rule is either misrepresented in the rules page, or misunderstood by the janitors/general userbase.
>>
>>360244
>Though there's no way to really know if he's doing it for every post.

Mods can tell.
>>
>>360239
It's basically somewhere between namefagging and trpfagging with a twist of roleplay; A lot of people use a specific character (and often reflect that characters personality) everytime they post, setting themselves apart from the rest of the anons. It's just another way for special snowflakes who don't understand how anonymous image boards work to feel like a board celebrity, completely ignoring the fact that most anons see them for the attention whoring faggots they are. Go spend 5 minutes on /a/, won't take long to spot.

There is no posting context (short of being OP, and only on boards where thread hijacks are common) where a repeating identifier is required, those who argue there is are more interested in celebrity than contributing anything worthwhile, and should be summarily ignored.
>>
>>360254

Then you'd be the one new to imageboards and how they work. Your anonymous shit only happened 2008 and up, and nobody gave a fuck except newfags. Names are/were used on both textboards and imageboards for years before 4chan were around. And were used on 4chan consistently for years prior to 2008. And are still used on imageboards and textboards today routinely.

Be quiet and don't talk about things you don't understand. You just sound dumb.
>>
>>360283
>I SAW THIS PICTURE ON /r/4CHAN OF OLD /B/ AND PEOPLE WERE TRIPFAGGING!!!!

Kill yourself if you actually believe people like Lanced Jack were liked because they used a name.

All that other shit you mentioned about what other imageboards and other sites do doesn't fucking matter.

4chan is an anonymous image board, has been since it's founding. Attention whores are not welcome and there are plenty of rules against attention whoring for good reason.

>Be quiet and don't talk about things you don't understand. You just sound dumb.
>I act pretentious on 4chan to make people think im an oldfag
>>
File: 14901194.gif (12 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
14901194.gif
12 KB, 300x100
>>360283
> blah blah u r nufaget if u disagree with me bcuz memewords

He's right. You are on an anonymous image board. Stop defending the cancer.
>>
File: you don't know shit.gif (412 KB, 516x287) Image search: [Google]
you don't know shit.gif
412 KB, 516x287
>>360302

>All that other shit you mentioned about what other imageboards and other sites do doesn't fucking matter.

But it does. The very sites that 4chan came from use those all the time and they're anonymous.

>4chan is an anonymous image board, has been since it's founding.

That's right. You're no less anonymous using a name. It's just as meaningless as the name anonymous because there is no registration here. And hence why tripfags were always a thing and nobody cared until newfags like you got rump rustled over them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3OTgTyujtE

>Attention whores are not welcome and there are plenty of rules against attention whoring for good reason.
There's no rule against tripfagging or namefagging. The only rule that exists anywhere close to that is the rule against avatarfagging. A rule that is all but ignored for the most part on most boards since nobody does it, and when they do, it's rarely disruptive.

>>360304

But, anon, you are the cancer.
>>
>>360312
>It's just as meaningless as the name anonymous because there is no registration here.

Except that's not how tripfaggots use it. They use their trip and name as a means to identify them wherever they may post. Some even include pictures to roleplay along with their post.

> hence why tripfags were always a thing
Moot explains exactly why they were there in that video, because they migrated from another site where it was the norm. Then they fell into the rythem of 4chan and its being an anonymous image board and all.

Sorry you don't get to attention whore for (You)votes like you do on reddit.
>Ugh im such an oldfag, look at this really old video that was on the front page of /r/4chan!!!
>>
File: awoo2.png (1 MB, 1072x1273) Image search: [Google]
awoo2.png
1 MB, 1072x1273
>>360236
You shouldn't be allowed to namefag with a specific character and pretend you're that character.
There's one namefag on /g/ that pretends to be awoo and his name is a constantly changing string of unicode characters spelling the word AWOOOOOO with diacratic marks.
>>
>>360330

>Except that's not how tripfaggots use it. They use their trip and name as a means to identify them wherever they may post. Some even include pictures to roleplay along with their post.

1. Nobody except newfags care.
2. Using a picture to roleplay is avatarfagging and is actually against the rules.

>Moot explains exactly why they were there in that video, because they migrated from another site where it was the norm. Then they fell into the rythem of 4chan and its being an anonymous image board and all.

Yeah, and they were around for years on other anonymous imageboards and textboards. And on 4chan. The whole "we are legion!" shit in 2008 started the hate for namefags and tripfags. So, your kind of newfag who thought this was something it isn't and never thought to look at what imageboards actually are/were.

>Sorry you don't get to attention whore for (You)votes like you do on reddit.

I don't use Reddit, Mr. Newfag. Nor do I use the inline extension because it's for faggots so I don't see (you). What, are you so new you can't even handle vanilla 4chan?
>>
>>360340
>constantly changing string of unicode characters spelling the word AWOOOOOO with diacratic marks.

Oh fuck i hate that guy, you can't even filter him.
>>
>>360340
Seriously fuck that guy, he's the personification of why the rest of the board thinks desktop threads are autistic cancer.
>>
>>360343
I'm disappointed there's no "GAY SEX with hats ON" tab in there.
>>
>>360349
I post in desktop threads sometimes, desktop threads ARE autistic cancer.
I'm just there for the cute anime pics.
>>
>>360343
You're trying way too hard to sound like an oldfag

>LOL im so old i dont even use features put in for my convenience!!!

You can keep making shit up as much as you want anyways, tripfags were never liked and being anonymous is the standard.

Are you some crybaby tripfaggot who keeps getting called out on it? Maybe you shouldn't use your trip when it isn't necessary. Here's some easy tripcode advice for your times on 4chan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
these boards have bigger problems than avatarfagging
>>
>>360244
>more than 2/3 posts of the same character
>similar images/filenames/transparency/etc
>mods being able to look at posts from that IP
Gee, sure is hard.
>>
>>360551

I've never used a tripcode. I've just been here long enough to know you're clearly a newfag who doesn't know shit about 4chan or really any anonymous sites. And are so new that you can't even handle using the site without some sort of extension.

But, maybe there's a reason why you're always upset all the time. Because objectively you're wrong. So, we know that much. Your views do not align with reality. But then why would you be so assblasted? Why are you always upset the minute someone uses a name and go into a violent sperg rage? I, too, have found a video explaining your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xypH2FqOFY
>>
>>360581
>you're clearly a newfag
Stopped reading right there. But then I kept going, and realised your entire post is a personal attack on someone for stating a thing you don't like. Fucking entitled millennials, too stupid to thread together a counterpoint, so they go on the personal attack

If you are so desperate to be a fucking celebrity on a forum, fuck off to another website that lets you register your ebin super 1337 username, and leave us the fuck alone.
>>
>>360587

Then go back and read the other posts. The post I'm replying to is also nothing but a personal attack. Prior to that I was just stating facts about the history of 4chan. And I know they're facts because I was fucking here to see it happen. So him going "le 4chan was le always le legion anonymoose" isn't gonna convince me.
>>
>>360599
>If you are so desperate to be a fucking celebrity on a forum, fuck off to another website that lets you register your ebin super 1337 username, and leave us the fuck alone.
>>
>>360607

You realize that I'm not tripfagging, right? I never have. That doesn't mean you aren't still wrong. I don't have to be a tripfag to point out that you're wrong. So, go cry somewhere else. Or just lurk more and do a little research before going and talking about the point of the site.

And if you still think I'm,wrong, go look at the video posted before with moot talking about how common it was in the beginning.
>>
It's about frequency. Too many images of the same character ARE a blatant rule violation, regardless of the content of the post, and I think that's understandable. If he cut down on how much he did it I'm sure the mods would not mind, but if they're nailing him for it regularly it's clear that he's doing it too much.

Out of curiosity, who is the character?
>>
>>360617
> everybody used to tripcode because they were coming from sites that had an ID

So basically tripcunts have missed the point of anonymity from the get go. Got it.
>>
>>360622

And you miss moot saying that they're just as much part of the community as anybody else. And if you weren't a completely retarded faggot you'd take a look at the sites 4chan came from. They also use tripcodes without it being specifically for a single thread for a purpose. That came later as a result of newfags jumping on the "anonymous is legion" bandwagon. And is pretty much limited to 4chan for the most part.

So, be quiet and do some research. I get that you're new, but that doesn't make you a 4chan expert.
>>
>>360236
>What does it really matter if the posts are good?

Everything. Because this
>they have an anime picture of the same character
Is just inflammatory cancer. Keep anime in its containment boards. I mean maybe a non serious board like /vg/ doesn't matter, but I can't imagine this shit on /lit/
>>
>>360676
That is not the reason why avatarfagging is not allowed, idiot. It would be the same if it was a bunch of pictures of your favorite actor, Hugh Jackman.
>>
>>360634
>blah blah blah moot said dis thing literally 7 years ago!!!
>ur just a newfag!!

god I wish reading your posts wasn't like scraping my knee against a cheese grater

Being anonymous is the norm now, as it has beeen. If you don't like it, you don't have to use this site. There's plenty of tripfagging boards on 8 and theres reddit for you as well.

>They also use tripcodes without it being specifically for a single thread for a purpose

Which is the wrong way of using a tripcode and not what it's there for. That's literally attention whoring because you want people to be able to spot your posts out of the crowd.

> And is pretty much limited to 4chan for the most part.

So you agree being anonymous is the norm but you're a dumb tripfag who's bootyblasted people keep telling you to fuck off. Makes sense.
>>
>>360938
>Which is the wrong way of using a tripcode and not what it's there for.
Says who? The current owner of 4chan, the guy who literally invented tripcodes and who said if you don't like them, you don't have to use them? The previous owner of 4chan, the guy who enabled them on 4chan and who said tripfags are an important part of the site's dynamics? The moderators, who have literally never banned a single person for tripfagging, and who have stated that anonymity is just an option and not a requirement? What about 4chan rules/FAQ, what do they state? Oh right, they state that you can use a tripcode as pseudo-registration so people don't confuse your posts with other people's posts.

I guess none of that matters because we have a Youtube video of Tyrone reading a copypasta, obviously that trumps everything else.

>Being anonymous is the norm
No one is telling you to use a tripcode. You can stay anonymous if you want. But you're the one trying to change the status quo and begging the mods to ban "incorrect" usage of tripcodes because you're either too dumb or too stubborn to just filter/anonymize them. You're the one who is dissatisfied with the current situation, so if anyone should fuck off to cripplechan or anywhere else, it should be you.
>>
File: SLEEPING.jpg (13 KB, 472x357) Image search: [Google]
SLEEPING.jpg
13 KB, 472x357
Let's talk numbers then. Say I'm a regular of some general on /vg/. I have a big folder full of pictures of a fictional character that I like. They're all pictures of said character in varying emotions.

Now let's say I only ever post on-topic, and I always try make good posts that contribute. No shitposting, no derailing, no blogging.

Now let's say 50% of my posts have the aforementioned character as a reaction image tied to my post.

No roleplay, no blogging, no off-topic. Just reusing the same batch of reaction images that I have saved for some of my posts.

Is this avatarfagging? Should it deserve a ban? Why?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.