[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck does everyone speak in the same meme phrases and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 286.jpg (174 KB, 780x600) Image search: [Google]
286.jpg
174 KB, 780x600
Why the fuck does everyone speak in the same meme phrases and buzzwords? Is no one here ablo to speak like a memespouting retard?
>>
>>589574
I take it you weren't here when entire arguments ran their course with people using nothing else other than >implying?
>>
>>589574
>Why the fuck does everyone speak in the same meme phrases and buzzwords?
Laziness, probably. It allows people to post something without having to really think about anything.

>>589575
This is the general evolution I remember of that, at least how it occurred on /v/ and /a/:
1. Costanza image with oversimplified condensation of the other persons position, with quote tag/arrow/greentext.
2. Costanza image with even shorter version of before.
3. Costanza image with ">implying/implying implications"
4. Costanza image with simply ">".
5. Costanza reference, as in ">costanza.jpg"
6. No more costanza, simply ">implying".
During this process the shorthand version with the now famous image along with some variant of ">shiggity", often referencing the current year, long before that become a meme of sorts.

It is kind of impressive just how rapidly we managed to remove text and rely almost entirely on extra-linguistic information for it to make sense. I mean now, on most boards, you can simply respond to a post with "[insert meme image name.jpg]" and 99/100 anons will immediately understand the reference.
Our own version of netspeak through imagery and references to imagery as opposed to obfuscation of phraseology and abbreviations. It's kind of impressive, the more you think about it. Not the mostly braindead individuals involved but the overall organic and rapid memetic changes of the idea landscape. This is the sort of shit marketers and advertisers should be trying to study closer as a means to really click with an audience.
>>
File: 1386.jpg (51 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
1386.jpg
51 KB, 500x349
>>589574
>>
>>589574
probably because many posts are not worth responding to with more than a generic meme phrase or image
>>
>>589792
At that point why respond at all?
>>
>>589799
just to see what happens
not everything has to have a profoundly amazing reasoning behind it
>>
>>589799
Well me personally? I'm usually having fun. Like right now. I know that something about the way I'm replying to you might upset you in some way and I think that's silly. I smile like an autist knowing that you're gonna get buttmad SOMEHOW over this.
>>
File: flancaveat.png (171 KB, 637x431) Image search: [Google]
flancaveat.png
171 KB, 637x431
>>589574
>>
It varies by board a bit, but generally it's to fit in. There's little to identify yourself as a member of the community on 4chan except to adopt the mannerisms you see others using, even if you don't understand them. That's how you end up with meme degeneration. Newfags ruin everything. Absolutely everything.

The variation I spoke of earlier has to do with what kind of memes and buzzwords are acceptable on certain boards. Like on /v/, it's all very argumentative and about defining factions of users within a community. They develop a kind of code language for talking about things they don't like to signal which faction they belong to. It's rudimentary on /v/ to parse these memes and buzzwords as signal flags, so much so that they have lost pretty much any other meaning they might have had. A person spouting a string of buzzwords and memes shitting on something might contain no actual information aside from announcing their faction.
>>
>>589574
Still a lot better than meme responses from 2005/6 like NO U.
>>
>>589574
Don't you mean "Is no one here able to speak unlike a memespouting retard?"
>>
>>589574
heh, take a look how many frogs there are on /r9k/ between 8pm and 10pm est
>>
>>589904
Don't you already know what's going to happen? Either no one responds, some idiot says "kek" or some shit, or the guy you responded to in the first place sends a dumb meme image back.
>>
File: 1461615919574.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1461615919574.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>589574
>>
Everyone now converges on the same few opinions, words and phrases, and most likely won't be able to explain or defend them if someone calls them out on them. Anons are constantly accusing others of being weebs, autists, baiters and Redditors, but they're almost never able to articulate what they mean by those words and why they're using them. They just get agitated if you question them.

Paranoia, tribalism, groupthink and discord have increased exponentially since the development of social media and the centralization of the web into a few sites. Thought policing and witch hunts are rampant. People react to everything with knee-jerk responses and blind rage, and everything moves so fast there's hardly time for a careful and reasoned response even if you're inclined to make one. On Twitter you can't even do it because there's no room, so just tell people to kill themselves instead. And Twitter just so happens to be the most prominent platform for public communication on the web.

And that's why everything is a meme now and everyone is a meme-spouting retard.
>>
>>590364
You never know what's going to happen.
>>
>>590369
this desu
>>
>>589574
>memespouting

>>>/2014/
>>
>>590321
Not when you look at the age context. Many of the anons who were posting those responses were still in their teen years then whereas the ones still doing it now at in their mid/late 20s and early 30s. A lot of us were still children when we used to shitpost like that. Children have an excuse of being children/teenagers and the urge to fit in and mindlessly mimic others is stronger than any other point in our existence. Manchildren don't have this excuse; they're just fucking pathetic.
>>
>>590186
but you responded nicely and coherently
>>
>>590321
but NO U was a meme used to counter accusations.
its retarded to accuse anyone of anything on 4chan so the response was quite brilliant in its simplicity
>>
>>590642
Yeah. Infuriating, right?
>>
>>590290
>Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company.
And soon will be as they outnumber the former.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.