[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need the knowledge of some (relative) 4chan veterans. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: IMG-20160706-WA0007.jpg (115 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160706-WA0007.jpg
115 KB, 600x400
I need the knowledge of some (relative) 4chan veterans.
What did "Marked for deletion (old)" do when it was enabled on all boards? For years I was under the impression that it prevented bumping at a certain time after thread creation.
However, this is proven false when posting in an (old) thread on /f/, which bumps it to the top just like any other thread.

So what was it actually for? Is it a reminder for mods to manually delete stagnant threads? Is it a note for anons to start wrapping things up and politely make room for other threads?

I'm stumped. Please enlighten me.
>>
>>584532
Threads used to have time limits that put them into the queue to be deleted when new threads were posted. If "Marked for deletion (old)" appeared on your thread, you had some N-number of threads that could be posted to the board before your thread would 404, regardless of what page it was on. 4chan replaced this with the bump limit. It's functionally the same.
>>
>>584536
>it's functionally the same
Are you sure this is the case? The current system depends on the rhythm of posts inside a thread. An active thread can reach bumplimit within an hour then be on its way to page 10, but on the same board a thread can last for a day or two if anons only bump it from page 9/10 to prolong its life.
This effect is magnified to weeks and months on slower boards.

In the pruning system that you are describing, the latter situation wouldn't happen due to the software lining up threads that have been around for too long for deletion.

In these cases I don't think the two algorithms can be described as doing the same thing. Unless I'm really misunderstanding things.

Anyway, thanks for your help anon.
>>
>>584536
>4chan replaced this with the bump limit.

It worked in tandem with it. There was once upon a time where threads would be old and super dead on page 10 and if the board was slow enough, they would expire after a time.
>>
>>584552
Oh, I didn't realize that they were ever in service at the same time. Thanks. I'll modify my answer if this gets asked again.
>>
File: 44888.jpg (111 KB, 736x889) Image search: [Google]
44888.jpg
111 KB, 736x889
>>584532
It was exactly the same as it still is on futaba. Pic related. Your image looks like it came from that site so I am going to assume you can look up how it works as it is relatively well documented by now.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.