[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kill the captcha. Ya, really. The slight increase in spam (which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: GoogleCAPTCHA.jpg (8 KB, 329x124) Image search: [Google]
GoogleCAPTCHA.jpg
8 KB, 329x124
Kill the captcha.

Ya, really.

The slight increase in spam (which we get anyway) is a small price to pay for the much smoother and less buggy browsing experience.
>>
>>574337
You should make a captchaless straw poll to see whether we should remove the captcha and see what the results are.
>>
>>574337
how does 4chan avoid getting actual spam anyways? like pakistani spammers advertising some random workout or diet plan or whatever, I never see ANY of that

I tried implementing the google captcha (what's used here) for my forum and it was completely useless, it was actually actively terrible. Spammers signed up in droves. Since they were humans and not automated scripts, they easily got by the "IM NOT A ROBOT" check. I had to go back to other captchas and the onslaught stopped. Still some spam but not nearly as bad.
>>
>>574337
>The slight increase in spam
>slight increase
>slight

I want the captcha to be disabled for a single day just so I can see people freak out when their favorite board is completely flooded.
>>
Has captcha been acting weird for anyone lately?
It's been appearing as blank some times on mobile and on my computer.
>>
>>574344
Mostly proxy blocking and manual moderation. Which makes Recaptcha almost redundant since proxies are most of what it blocks. I don't think it would stand up to a malware attack.

>>574405
It was done for over a week during /pol/ harbour. There was no automated spam at all, just people manually making lots of stupid threads because the flood timers were turned off and the mods were encouraging it.

>>574339
Personally I only ballot-stuff strawpolls that have the captcha turned on.
>>
>>574337
SMALL increase in spam.

Ha. HAHA.
>>
>>574469
>There was no automated spam at all, just people manually making lots of stupid threads because the flood timers were turned off and the mods were encouraging it.

Yes there was. There was a spammer from /vp/ who used a bot to spam /pol/ as well as /b/ since /b/ also had its captcha removed. It was brief on /pol/ but /b/ was hit with spam so hard that the mods had to step in and take it offline for awhile.

I would love it if I never had to fill out captchas but you're severely underestimating what the consequences of removing it would be.
>>
>>574337
Buy a pass
>>
>>574469
>I don't think it would stand up to a malware attack.
It won't. Not a chance.
>>
We can't really get rid off captcha due to spam but I'd rather have it not connected to Google.
>>
File: 13660121432.jpg (50 KB, 294x294) Image search: [Google]
13660121432.jpg
50 KB, 294x294
>>574337
>slight increase
>slight
>>
Would you guys rather have really high post timers (say, 5-10 minutes) for no captchas or keep it as is?
>>
>>574615
Archive link please.
>>
>>575004
I'd rather a single captcha for a larger number of posts, say in the order of ten posts or having to fill one out every hour if under ten posts.
>>
>>574337

I actually dont mind 4chan having a Captcha, but I wish we would use a service other than Google.
>>
>>574337
Oh wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder.

Back in the day, moot was vehemently anti-captcha, but even he had to change his tune. It was the exact opposite of a "much smoother and less buggy browsing experience." The spam got so bad, the site was nearly impossible to use.

Yes, the latest captcha is pretty shit, but just use legacy captcha (I use an extension, but I think there's an option for it in the native extension as well) and you should be fine.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.