[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk about the front page
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: frontpage.png (31 KB, 998x446) Image search: [Google]
frontpage.png
31 KB, 998x446
Is it just me, or does the way the boards (at least the worksafe ones) are listed on the front page make almost no sense?
Why are /f/ (Flash) and /n/ (Transportation) under "Japanese Culture"?
How is "international" an interest while literature and fitness are not?
I know it doesn't really matter, but this triggers my autism.
>>
SHINKANSEN
>>
>>349048
>Why are /f/ (Flash) and /n/ (Transportation) under "Japanese Culture"?
A lot of the flash files posted on /f/ depict anime and other things that derive from Japanese culture. /n/ has discussion about trains, and trains are popular among otakus.

Literature is a medium that covers many different interests, while discussion about different cultures, languages, countries, etc is more of a standalone interest.
>>
>>349059
>A lot of the flash files posted on /f/ depict anime and other things that derive from Japanese culture. /n/ has discussion about trains, and trains are popular among otakus.
Japan also has video games, a history, literature sports and scientific stuff that can be discussed, but those boards aren't under Japanese Culture. /f/ and /n/ cover a lot of stuff that isn't Japanese in nature.

>Literature is a medium that covers many different interests,
Not really, especially not now that /his/ has become the official board for the discussion of humanities that aren't literature.
>while discussion about different cultures, languages, countries, etc is more of a standalone interest
Discussion about other countries can cover a wide variety of subjects: language, history, geography, law, food, art. And as /int/ is basically a topicless board with added flags, I'd say it goes under Other.
Music, Travel, Fashion, Pony and Paranormal could also arguably go under Interests.

Basically, what I'm saying is that those categories don't really make much sense. You could make a solid argument that most of that stuff should go under Interests, but then you'd have a column that'd be long as hell.
IMO if we want to improve the front page we need better categories.
>>
>>349086
There's nothing to improve, nobody uses the frontpage unless they want to check if hiro added new memes.
>>
>>349109
>nobody uses the frontpage unless they want to check if hiro added new memes
I know, that's why I said in the OP that it doesn'r really matter (though personally I like to use it to keep an eye on the recent images/posts and popular threads, sometimes interesting stuff crops up), but this is a thread for discussing the front page. If you have something better to do, nobody's forcing you to stay here.
>>
>>349086
If you want the real answer for /f/:
>All uploaded files should be uniquely Japanese (pertain to Japanese culture). "Run of the mill" content is to be had elsewhere.
Taken from >>>/f/rules/1. From the very start it was intended with this focus.
Granted, most flash files these days violate that rule because mods haven't enforced it in a long time, the point is that /f/ is listed under Japanese Culture because it was originally meant to fall under that purpose only.

Same case for /n/, it was originally made for talking about japanese trains and transportation (which are big there, I should add, train otaku are a thing as >>349059 mentioned), until it was deleted, revived as a nature board, changed to news, and finally returned as /n/ - Transportation, now with added bicycles for some reason to the dismay of train otaku.
Should also add that /n/ most likely got its name from norimono as a Futaba carryover back in the day, meaning vehices/things you ride.

Of course, I'm only giving the explanation why they're listed under Japanese Culture, I'm well aware the focus for Japanese stuff on those boards has mitigated in recent years.
We aren't getting much of an answer beyond that unless the staff speak up and clarify things, and you know how much they like to answer things (read: very rarely at all).

>though personally I like to use it to keep an eye on the recent images/posts and popular threads, sometimes interesting stuff crops up
That sounds cumbersome with how fast 4chan is these days.
>>
>>349154
Ah, thanks for that. I hadn't checked the rules for /f/ and just assumed that it was a board for Flash stuff in general since non-Japanese stuff doesn't seem to get banned.
The history of /n/ is also pretty interesting.

>That sounds cumbersome with how fast 4chan is these days.
It's not the most efficient way of browsing, but it allows me to take a look at what's being discussed on pretty much every board once in a while.
>>
Fixed:
>Japanese Culture
Anime & Manga
Anime/Cute
Anime/Wallpapers
Mecha
Cosplay & EGL
Cute/Male
Otaku Culture
>Interests
Video Games
Video Game Generals
Retro Games
Pokémon
Traditional Games
Toys
Comics & Cartoons
Television & Film
Paranormal
Sports
Alternative Sports
Fitness
Science & Math
Animals & Nature
Technology
Weapons
Transportation
Auto
Travel
Outdoors
History & Humanities
Business & Finance
Literature
>Creative
Oekaki
Artwork/Critique
Papercraft & Origami
Photography
Wallpapers/General
Music
Fashion
Do-It-Yourself
Food & Cooking
3DCG
Graphic Design
Flash
Worksafe GIF
>Other
Politically Incorrect
International
ROBOT9001
>Misc. (NSFW)
Random
Shit 4chan Says
LGBT
Pony
Request
Torrents
High Resolution
Cams & Meetups
Advice
>Adult (NSFW)
Sexy Beautiful Women
Hardcore
Adult GIF
Hentai
Hentai/Alternative
Ecchi
Yuri
Yaoi
Handsome Men
>My autism is complete.
>>
>>350382
>/mu/
>creative
>>
>>350382
OP here. My own attempt:

>Japanese Culture
Anime & Manga
Anime/Wallpapers
Anime/Cute
Cute/Male
Mecha
Pokémon
Cosplay & EGL
Otaku Culture

>Entertainment
Video Games
Video Game Generals
Retro Games
Comics & Cartoons
Television & Film
Music
Traditional Games
Pony

>Academic Subjects
Science & Math
History & Humanities
Literature
Business & Finance

>Physical Activity
Fitness
Sports
Alternative Sports
Travel
Outdoors

>Practical Interests
Technology
Weapons
Auto
Transportation
Toys
Fashion
Animals & Nature

>Creative
Food & Cooking
Do-It-Yourself
Papercraft & Origami
Photography
3DCG
Graphic Design
Worksafe GIF

>Other
Advice
International
Paranormal
LGBT

>Creative (NSFW) [all these boards are already NSFW, but most aren't marked as such on the frontpage]
Oekaki
Artwork/Critique
Wallpapers/General
High Resolution
Flash

>Misc. (NSFW)
Random
Request
Politically Incorrect
ROBOT9001
Shit 4chan Says
Cams & Meetups
Torrents

>Adult (NSFW)
Sexy Beautiful Women
Handsome Men
Hardcore
Hentai
Ecchi
Yuri
Yaoi
Hentai/Alternative
Adult Cartoons
Adult GIF

How does this look to you?
>>
File: Capture.png (112 KB, 1146x713) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
112 KB, 1146x713
Fixed.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.