[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slower boards = better overall experience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 130775145975342913.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1500) Image search: [Google]
130775145975342913.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1500
I know what moot said about dividing the community even further, and while I agree that it can foster board rivalry, I think some boards should be divided until they become as slow as /m/ or /jp/. Before you grab the pitchforks, allow me to explain what I mean.

It's because when the posting pace is slower, you generally get better quality posts from the community, as well as better humor, better ideas and an overall more easygoing atmosphere.

Allow me to give you an example:
When /pol/ didn't exist, we had /new/ - a much slower board with much more in depth discussion, much more variety of opinion, less cancerous meming and most importantly, a sense of taking it easy. Contrast that with /pol/, where every troll is fed, everyone takes shit too seriously, every user has more or less the same alt-right worldview and let's not forget the overarching sense of entitlement to go preach their ideas as though they came from God Himself.

Another example:
/vr/ - Overall good quality of discussion, slow pace, easygoing attitude, etc.
/v/ - Cesspool of childish insults, cancerous meming, troll-feeding, negativity everywhere, etc.

Conclusion: The big boards should be split into smaller, more niche communities. Fast boards are not conducive to quality discussion.
>>
>>545141
>lets try to splinter the community as much as possible and have tight-knit circlejerks instead of open discussion

Go back 2 Reddit.
>>
You only need to look at /v/ as you said. Its fast pace is promoting a culture of low quality posts made for the sole purpose of somehow angering someone else. /v/ not being split long ago is actually very surprising considering the stark difference between /v/ to other hobby boards. There is an on-going discussion going on in another thread to split the board into two- west and Japan. And I am surprised it hasn't happened earlier since the two bases are different to begin with.

If a board becomes too fast, it is certain that post quality will drop as your post is of less meaning to the thread in question. /v/ culture as of now promotes easy shitposting.
>>
>>545157
Quality argument
>>
>>545157
I don't think you know what open discussion means, or doesn't mean.
>>
>>545141
You take yourself way too seriously.
>>
>>545168
Get out of /q/.
>>
File: 1427863908428.jpg (17 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
1427863908428.jpg
17 KB, 210x210
>>545141
Dumb futoposter
>>
>>545196
But Futo is a nice character ;_;
>>
>>545141
We ought to do >>545212 first. One of the downsides of slow boards is that they're more vulnerable to raids. If a board only gets a few posts an hour and a mod decides to take a shit on it, you have no recourse.
>>
>>545221
>One of the downsides of slow boards is that they're more vulnerable to raids
Raids are nothing compared to slow takeover, like all the crappy generals that have been pushed to /jp/
>>
File: jp generals.jpg (570 KB, 1822x943) Image search: [Google]
jp generals.jpg
570 KB, 1822x943
>>546053
Looking at my hidden threads list reminded me just how many there are.
>>
>>545141
Isn't this basically what happened to 2ch? For those few of us who can read nip, what do you think of the posting on there?
>>
>>546053
Given how slow the board is, that amount of recurring threads doesn't mean shit. Your Futo threads are going to stay alive for at least one entire day without any posts and everyone on /jp/ knows how to use a catalog, so why do you think generals are a problem? Would you rather have people going against what that faggot said long ago and not condensing their shit, making /jp/ much faster?
>>
>>546071
Yeah, it did happen to 2ch. And the faster it happens here, the better.
>>
I'm sure others have noticed this, but as boards become faster, they become the same. Compare /tv/ from a few years ago to today. There was shitposting, yes, but it was a different type of shitposting. Now, it's exactly like the other fast boards. If population continues to increase, which it will, more boards will suffer this fate. Hell, it's even happening to /ck/.
>>
>>546118
>even happening to /ck/

sad but true...
>>
>>545141
Just because a board with a niche interest has good posts on average, it doesn't mean that cutting up a popular board will improve the now detached boards to any significant degree and thereby justify the seperation. Popular boards have a higher proportion of users who aren't enthusiastic to be on-topic as the majority, and everyone will adapt to those.
Popular boards are already diluted; they have developed a culture which most are used to, and depending on how you separate them the shiftposters will just get shifted and concentrated in one place. This isn't desirable since some users may mainly come for a topic which now has its own board with a lot of bad posters.
>>
>>546076
>stay alive for at least one entire week
>stay alive for at least few days
>stay alive for at least one entire day
>stay alive for at least few hours
>stay alive for at least one entire hour
>stay alive for at least few minutes
>stay alive for at least one entire minute
>stay alive for at least few seconds
>stay alive for at least one entire second
>...
RIP
>>
>>545216
Hijiri and Tojiko would disagree
>>
>>545141
Pretty sure an equivalent effect can be achieved by simply removing auto-updaters.

Keep in mind that even small changes can have large effects that aren't very intuitive. People on imageboards really do try to understand each other and predict what others are thinking or are going to post next.
There are psychological implications to thinking that the standard way to 4chan is to keep tabs open ready for a reply at any instant like a chatroom.

For one it makes everyone expect quick retorts to any little snide comment or they think you lose the argument for lack of anything to say. It wasn't always like that, without auto-updaters you have a return to the more "forum-like" mentality of posting something and leaving. That becomes the standard and there's less pressure to give quick replies. You can even just completely ignore a lot of things and rest easy knowing that nobody expects an immediate reply anyway.
>>
>>546562
Without auto update it was also always a litttle risk to F5 the thread because it could might as well be 404 when you hit the key.
>>
>>546596
But we have the archiving thing now. So you can even close the threads and still come back to see new replies much later.
I think it's a good idea to keep that around.
>>
>>546542
2hus are immune to slippery slopes because they can fly
>>
File: 18b.jpg (33 KB, 400x505) Image search: [Google]
18b.jpg
33 KB, 400x505
>anime
Didn't even bother reading.
>>
>>546806
wtf is trashit?
>>
>>546826
Tra Shit. It's a new style of music coming out the Phillipines.
>>
>>545141
>/new/ more easy going than /pol/
Hey newfag know why moot deleted /new/?
>>
>>546806
Touhou =/= anime
Get your facts straight, Penn
Oh wait never mind you're no longer relevant
>>
>>546844
He deleted it because it was, in his words, "Turning into Stormfront." I was a /new/sman in 2010 and continued to be one after moot axed /new/ and we all went to a board offsite that shan't be named. Moot only saw what he wanted to see, because his left-wing circle of friends in the upper-crust didn't like that there was open discussion about sensitive issues.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.