[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1/2 We need to feel attached to western culture and literatu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 14
File: western canon.png (101 KB, 220x331) Image search: [Google]
western canon.png
101 KB, 220x331
1/2
We need to feel attached to western culture and literature like Jews feel to their torah and talmud. We need to have a canon of books that are ours and that identify us. They must be "our" books as the talmud is the Jews' book. Now, we already have such a list of books, however the most recent incarnation of this concept (the western canon) has been monopolized by a Jew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Western_Canon:_The_Books_and_School_of_the_Ages

>2016
>allowing Jews to define the canon of great European literature
>not knowing your people's literature and history that much
Top shamekek bros
>>
2/2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_canon

This is the original concept, the canon of great books of our culture that European young men have read as part of their education for centuries.

The Illiad and Odyssey, Dante's Inferno, the Aeneid, the Anabasis (escape from Persia basically a thriller novel), Shakespeare, Plutatch etc etc etc.

These books form the backbone of what it is to be European. Why don't we get more deeply into them? We can find wisdom there.
>>
Harold Bloom has more love for Western literature than you ever will stormie kid.

He's one of the main guys against marxist and feminist readings of literature and critical theory in literature.
>>
School of Resentment is a term coined by critic Harold Bloom to describe related schools of literary criticism which have gained prominence in academia since the 1970s and which Bloom contends are preoccupied with political and social activism at the expense of aesthetic values.

Broadly, Bloom terms "Schools of Resentment" approaches associated with Marxist critical theory, including African American Studies, Marxist literary criticism, New Historicist criticism, feminist criticism, and poststructuralism — specifically as promoted by Jacques Lacan, Jacques Derrida and Michel Foucault. The School of Resentment is usually defined as scholars who wish to enlarge the Western Canon by adding to it more works by authors from minority groups without regard to aesthetic merit and/or who argue that the Canon promotes sexist, racist or otherwise biased values. Bloom contends that the School of Resentment threatens the nature of the canon and may lead to its eventual demise.
>>
>>71895660
>>71895762

Bloom played the ethnic card against T.S. Eliot and called him an "anti-Semite" for no real reason. To hell with him.
>>
File: implyying.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
implyying.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>71895660
>Harold Bloom has more love for Western literature than you ever will stormie kid.
I don't hate Bloom you fucking spergshit.

The point is that Europeans should make the fucking canon, not him. Bloom goes out of his way to show Shakespeare isn't influenced by history or culture, he's a multicultural author in Bloom's view. I don't hate Bloom, but he isn't a rightwinger just because he opposes the crazy hard left.

Calm down kid.

>>71895762
Basically a Nietzschean concept. Look, if every lefty were like him it would be a better world, a much better world.
>>
File: mysteries-2108100_1700570c.jpg (26 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
mysteries-2108100_1700570c.jpg
26 KB, 460x288
>>71895958
Eliot got cucked by old Berty though
>>
>>71895958
I wouldn't say Bloom is no good at all, but he's a hardcore Jew. Like, his whole worldview is strongly based in his consciousness as being a Jew.

It's not right that someone like that should be defining our canon for us. He clearly has his tribal group loyalty, just as we Whites should be allowed to have.

>implying this is hateful towards Bloom

No, go raise your reading comprehension.
>>
>>71896063
That just proves his wife was a cunt.
>>
>>71896017
>a European should make a Canon!

So what? Copy and paste Bloom's list and publish it?

What's the point? Besides it's the Western Canon, not the European canon. It would be silly to have a Canon with now Bible.
>>
>>71896193
Bloom left out Homer, Aeschylus, Sophocles, but included Freud. He can't be trusted.
>>
>>71896329
What? No he didn't?

Have you even read the Canon?

http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
>>
File: de bello gallico bitches.jpg (212 KB, 1070x444) Image search: [Google]
de bello gallico bitches.jpg
212 KB, 1070x444
>>71896193
Why can't we have our own canon? Every other major cultural/civilizational bloc has its classics. The Bible is maybe kind of western, but kind of not.

Bloom focuses a ton on trying to untangle the supposed Jewishness and/or multiculturicity of the books he reviews. It gets tiring. That being said, I like Bloom and I'm glad I read his books. He's a good guy. I think Europeans should be consciously closer to European literature.

Look at Saudis when they read the Quran or Chinese when they read Confucius. Jews and their Talmud. It's a good thing for a people to be linked to great books of its past. Call me crazy, but that's my viewpoint.

>>71896329
Not sure that's true. http://www.interleaves.org/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

He includes Homer, but he also includes a bunch of totally foreign stuff like Gilgamesh and the Mahabarta. And Freud openly fantasized about himself as a Semite Carthaginian attacking Europe. Freud can't be called a western writer, at least not a friendly-to-the-west writer.

Bloom's whole worldview revolves around his Jewishness. More power to him, but it's not for everyone
>>
>>71896329
and he includes the Quran. Talk about cringeworthy
>>
>>71896474
We do. But there's little need to write up a new one as it's been done plenty before.

Also the reason Sanskrit works are included is due to their influence on Western works.

Notice he included the Bible but not the Talmud.

>>71896505
Political correctness gone mad right? Mein redpilled bruder
>>
>>71896655
What exactly is the major influence on the west from Sanskrit? That shit began with Schopenhauer at the latest.

There are canons of Chinese lit or Japanese lit, they don't include foreign books. We need a canon of literature that is specifically ours. The Bible might arguably belong, the Bhagavad Gita? No way.

We should have a canon set up from a pro-European identitarian standpoint. This is OUR literature like the Talmud and Torah are the Jews' thing.
>>
>>71896474
>Why can't we have our own canon?

Here you go.
>>
>>71897227
that series is far from complete

yea, maybe it's somewhere to start though
>>
>>71897284
Of course it isn't complete, but yeah it's a start.

Their introduction book pretty much states this. It also says they didn't print the bible because "Lol what's the point? Go open your own".
>>
>>71896861
>that shit began with schopenhauer

And does Western literature stop with him?

>we should have a pro-european identitarian Canon

Make one then

>>71897227
>No Ovid

Shit list
>>
File: Roman_Military_banner.svg.png (22 KB, 150x121) Image search: [Google]
Roman_Military_banner.svg.png
22 KB, 150x121
>>71897375
Well we need a complete list and we need to revere it. We need a common knowledge-horde to call ours, to call European.

Right now we don't take it seriously enough. White people feel like they "have no culture" because they read Western classics as foreign. If they are reading the Aeneid they are reading "something by those Romans", or if it's Shakespeare it's "something by an Englishman".

We need to read Western lit and feel it as our birthright, as part of who we are, more.
>>
>>71897582
Get outta here with your pan-europeanism

No frenchy will ever claim Shakespeare

But memes aside, more people should read Classics, regardless of political standing.
>>
>>71897227
Is that Encyclopaedia Britannica's? Cause theirs sucks balls. Volume 54 is Fraud for fuck's sake. The Harvard Classics are a bit better. The series doesn't cover everything, but it hasn't received nearly as much criticism. Ironically

>>71895958
>>71896063

It was compiled by T. S. Eliot's cousin.
>>
>>71897551
>And does Western literature stop with him?
No but it's not foundational. The Hindu epics are not part of the western canon, we know this. At best the influence of works like the Quran and the Hindu epics are minor influences in just very recent Western history. Including them is a weird choice, actually.

Bloom's canon is not truly European in the way that the Chinese classics are Chinese.

>>71897684
That's not true, at all, French and German and Italian authors have always read and loved Shakespeare. Shakespeare has been a key influence on non-English European authors for centuries.

To say he is no in way pan-European is false. Shakespeare is almost as pan-European as Homer at this point.
>>
>>71897730
Freud has a lot of influence on literary criticism, whether you agree with his psychology or not
>>
>>71897684
Also British culture without French influence would today be utterly different. Face it, your cultural roots are mixed in Europe. Britain is not a cultural island unto itself, despite what some might want to believe.
>>
>>71897811
Freud is mostly crap that got idolized and lionized for being super uber deeeeeep by know-nothing academics.
>>
>>71897582
>We need to read Western lit and feel it as our birthright, as part of who we are, more.

That's an old battle that we tossed away decades ago. But it might be worth taking up again, and we did have a few small victories here and there.

For example William James was one such "victory", and a part of the Pragmatist school which included Sanders Pierce and John Dewey.

>>71897730
>Is that Encyclopaedia Britannica's?
It is. But in all fairness, it's dated back to 1952. Snagged it for at an estate sale, basically they told me if I were willing to move it for them I could have the whole set and its bookshelf for free.

I agree that Freud could kick rocks, if I wanted pseudo-psych I'd rather go with Jung and I'm not sure I'd consider him 'canon' either.
>>
>>71897890
Besides the point.

>>71897866
I was joking pierre

>>71897794
Tbh I think Bloom only chucked the Sanskrit works on for flavour, he says they're on their due to influence though.

He disowned that list anyway, I think he only made it on the publisher's request.
>>
>>71897921
>That's an old battle that we tossed away decades ago. But it might be worth taking up again, and we did have a few small victories here and there.

Mind elaborating on that?

And just for the record I want to say that the more the left shits on our high culture as White male and privileged, the more we should embrace it as our own.
>For example William James was one such "victory", and a part of the Pragmatist school which included Sanders Pierce and John Dewey.
>>
File: sharia law.jpg (27 KB, 229x377) Image search: [Google]
sharia law.jpg
27 KB, 229x377
>>71898010
I just don't understand your opposition to pan-Europeanism. The EU is against anything traditional or meaningful to Europe and what Europe is. You mistake my kind of wanting a common European identity and book list for a desire to break down cultures and make a multicult Eurocuck shithole.

European=/=EU despite what the media push as an agenda. "Rightwingers are against European values" faggots.
>>
>>71898033
>Mind elaborating on that?
The United States has a history of wanting culture that could rival or even surpass that of Europe's. Painting, sculpture, music, architecture, literature, philosophy, et cetera... but more often than not we were just all about business and 'muh freedoms' while being outright philistines.

We kinda seemed to stop giving a fuck sometime after WWII though. Occasionally we put forth the effort (e.g. putting Abstract Expressionism exhibits abroad), but typically we were fairly content being one of two superpowers and fighting Commies.
>>
>>71897921
I agree with you on Jung. Nice you got it for free though, definitely better than nothing.
>>71897811
You're not wrong, I just can't stand that guy. His shadow still looms over us in the form of pop psychology. More importantly, none of his works really belong in a compilation of 'classics'.
>>
>>71898290
Bloom idolizes him hard for what he (Bloom) sees as Freud's Jewishness. Bloom's writings on Freud drip with that ethnolove. Oy vey
>>
>>71898158
Because fuck the frogs and fuck the huns my man B)
>>
>>71898447
I understand loving your own culture, I really do, but hating other European groups is just fucking retarded. At heart, a German or a Frenchman will relate to you as an Arab or Pakistani never can.
>>
>>71898378
Of course, any Jew would, but we were talking about Encyclopaedia Britannica's Great Books of the Western World series.
>>
File: The_Merchant_Of_Venice.jpg (963 KB, 3230x2167) Image search: [Google]
The_Merchant_Of_Venice.jpg
963 KB, 3230x2167
>>71895561
To be fair, Harold Bloom is literally one of the only people in the world of academia fighting against cultural marxism. He's a walking shoah. Like the David Cole of literature. He treats Shakespeare, correctly, as some sort of sacred, untouchable idol, as the centre around which to build the canon. Up to the end of modernism his canon is absolutely correct from a Western perspective, although he misses stuff out from a national point of view. I'm not well-enough read as him to keep up with his analysis of postmodern literature and prefer genre fiction (inb4 pleb). He could well be jewing it up for all I know. But as far as the premodern classics are concerned, he's a jew, but a based jew, and his canon is a great reading list for anyone "starting with the Greeks."
>>
File: rules.jpg (23 KB, 323x500) Image search: [Google]
rules.jpg
23 KB, 323x500
>>71895561
>We need to have a canon of books that are ours and that identify us.

Here you go.

Is there really anywhere else to start?
>>
>>71898706
We should read books like those as part of political education.

Basically what I'm saying is we need an entire self contained educational and literary movement for our own people. The university is no longer the priesthood of Western civ. They have betrayed us.
>>
File: johnstuartmill.jpg (17 KB, 285x350) Image search: [Google]
johnstuartmill.jpg
17 KB, 285x350
>>71898819
>They have betrayed us.

Thoroughly.

On another note, John Stuart Mill has some good works. Try also some classics like Ralph Waldo Emerson and others who rail for the freedom of the individual.
>>
>>71898819
Betrayal isn't quite the right word.

It's like they read Hegel and ran waaay too goddamn far with him. Technically, what we have now is actually a continuation of Western Civ... but it's been twisted and taken to a farcical extreme.
>>
>>71899340
Come on, radical feminism, whiteness studies, all the politically correct stuff that dominates academia now- it's pure betrayal of western culture and people.
>>
>>71899664
It's also the whole "thesis+anti-thesis=synthesis" schtick taken to new heights. The entire liberal view point now is to find the oppressed, find the opposite of what we hold to be true, to create an anti-thesis. That's why there's no end to it, accept all that the Left demands and they will simply move onto the next anti-thesis.

It really is basic Hegelian ideology gone mad.
>>
>>71899896
well at some point when it's being advanced by non-Whites and Western civ haters, it can't be considered Western anymore.

A movement that blames Hindu civilization and people for all the world's problems and lionizes foreigner-to-India things would eventually stop being considered Hindu/Indian. It's like a cancer within the Hindu sphere.

Just sayin'.
>>
>>71895595
>the Anabasis (escape from Persia basically a thriller novel),
>escape from Persia

If they made Escape from Persia with a younger Kurt Russel it would have been good.
>>
>>71898706
Alinsky is only useful for leftist populist subversion though. Unless you're into that.
>>
>>71900192
We need to use his insight to boost the right and White interests

>>71900129
Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRBNUl1RNzY
Just give this a listen
>>
>>71899996
>well at some point when it's being advanced by non-Whites and Western civ haters, it can't be considered Western anymore.
But it is still being advanced by whites, that's what's so goofy about it. From university professors up on high to lowly protesters who also happen to be "fucking white males", it's still an aspect of Western Civilization although it has turned to devour itself.

I certainly do not find it agreeable, but this current strand of anti-Western thought didn't come out of thin air y'know.
>>
File: 1459304125605.jpg (78 KB, 338x305) Image search: [Google]
1459304125605.jpg
78 KB, 338x305
>>71900192
>Alinsky is only useful for leftist populist subversion though.

Wut.

>Medical operations can only be performed by surgeons that are left handed.

Sure thing, buddy.
>>
File: france yes.png (58 KB, 575x544) Image search: [Google]
france yes.png
58 KB, 575x544
>>71900299
>But it is still being advanced by whites, that's what's so goofy about it. From university professors up on high to lowly protesters who also happen to be "fucking white males", it's still an aspect of Western Civilization although it has turned to devour itself.
But it's an aspect that is cancerous and self defeating. We have to reject it as a part of our culture. I consider it a cultural movement separate from anyone with a fucking brain.

The average White person may not argue against SJWism, but they don't push for it. People who push for it are traitors to the west and don't deserve (nor do they want) to be in our identity as Europeans.

They're an embarrassing groups of cousins, maybe, who we're better off just disowning.
>>
>>71900624
I was just pointing out its roots. You have to understand the problem before you can do anything about it.

Also, it really is striking how perfectly liberal ideology fits into a Hegelean dialectic. But, as I said, it has become farcical. Any attempt to move on culturally must also be an attempt to move beyond Hegel, he is the ghost that haunts our Civilzation.
>>
>>71900832
I mean it seems to me that it was Hegelianism through the lens of Marxism. Leftism as it currently stands is such a destructive force that it should barely be legal.

The old one about... uh.... the maniacs running the asylum. Just sad.
>>
>>71900969
Well, Marxism was essentially proposing an anti-thesis to society at the time. Though the train of thought has moved on since, now it's merely the notion of the anti-thesis that carries on.

Anywho, to bring this back around to the topic of the thread, while it is important to look back at our culture and not forget it... it is not sufficient to merely hold onto it. Afterall, it did eventually bring us to today.

Personally I'd advocate "progress" though not exactly as it is typically used, may as well claim the recent heritage of post-modernism and levy a deconstruction upon progressivism and it's touting of "progress" as a means and end. What has the continual synthesis of thesis and anti-thesis yielded thusfar? Are we closer to anything resembling truth? Do we even have a need for truth? Or at least, the Hegelian sort of truth? Progress has become an unquestioned myth that we have become accustomed to, and it is this notion that we must always be "progressing" in some fashion that perpetuates our current culture.

In short, let's short-circuit this motherfucker and see things for how they really are. That will not only require revitalizing the Western canon, but also engaging in a genuine criticism with it. Until then, we'll just be stuck in Hegel's loop.
>>
File: start with the greeks.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
start with the greeks.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
>>
>>71902843
moar

>>71901848
elaborate
>>
>>71903648
bump
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.