[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>university makes you dumber >heh, good luck getting a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 16
File: al bundy mwc what.png (554 KB, 565x589) Image search: [Google]
al bundy mwc what.png
554 KB, 565x589
>university makes you dumber
>heh, good luck getting a job with your shitty degree

The fuck? Why is /pol/ anti-intellectual? Are you going to purge the professors like the commies did after the day of the rope?

I graduated from uni with a stats degree and I have a decent job, and I certainly know more about statistics than before I studied in uni, which also helps me understand the statistics reported in the news and government documents, as well the probabilities of daily life. I also know that statistics can be manipulated to prove anything, and look at reports with a critical eye. Basically, my education has given me a great job and also hardened me against manipulation through statistics.
>>
File: education-income-employment.png (70 KB, 605x351) Image search: [Google]
education-income-employment.png
70 KB, 605x351
>>78895135
>Why is /pol/ anti-intellectual?

It's the image board for poor white kids in rural areas with shitty internet, why do you think they use 4chan in the first place? 4chan is the one website that is still functional for 56k connections

Also, crab-mentality.

>I'm uneducated, so everyone who is educated must be dumb and unemployed.

Statistically, more education correlates with higher income and less unemployment. These people have no idea what the fuck they are talking about.
>>
>>78895135
I'm just a business management major. I have one semester left, and I have learned a TON of stuff in college.

Statistics blew my fucking mind. It's like magic or something. Taking philosophy courses from successful philosophy writers was also pretty interesting. Before taking those classes, I didn't understand how to build a well-constructed argument.

Tons of other stuff I learned. College is NOT that bad. Yes many of the professors are useless liberal faggots, but many are brilliant as well.
>>
>Gender studies
>History
>art
>woman's studies
>decorative pottery
>English
>Other languages studies
>Why are white people the devil majors

These are the institutions that need to be purged. Just to name a few
>>
>>78895880
At my university, people majoring in useless fields are openly mocked by their peers, their friends, and their family.

I was dating a philosophy major. She was mocked around every corner. Her family didn't even invite the extended family to her graduation because they were so ashamed.
>>
>>78895135

Also, every company I have worked for since college requires a college degree for all positions. It seems to me that many on /pol/ are either under 18 or come from a blue collar backgrounds where they don't see an immediate benefit from education, education is a novel thing to them.

They literally think that university is nothing but women's studies and liberal arts majors, they have no clue what goes on in universities.

The #1 most popular bachelors degree major is business, with various healthcare profession degrees as the next three most popular.

Accounting majors are actually more popular than liberal arts degrees.
>>
>>78895880
What's wrong with history and linguistics?
>>
>>78896182
>every company I have worked at required a degree for all positions

This. Anything that pays more than $12 an hour usually requires a bachelor's degree in business.
>>
>>78895546

>Statistically, more education correlates with higher income and less unemployment.

Now take into account specific college majors and specific non-degree trades.

>Oh no, the aggregate trend tells a different story than its components
>>
>>78895135
No matter what you're majoring in, you're better off spending 4 years and $40k studying independently, if you actually want to learn something. If all you care about is jewish paperwork, then go to college.
>>
File: shit.png (378 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
378 KB, 500x365
Let's give you an example in good 'ol Nazi-logy.

>get a degree at the university of Berlin 1939
>get a degree by writing "All jews must die because we're better."
>Nazi german government think I'm the smartest man alive for fitting their narrative

Now, let's reverse that
>get a degree at the university in Berlin 2016
>get the degree by writing "Everyone I don't like is Hitler"
>Merkel thinks I'm the smartest man alive for fitting their narrative

We've gone full circle, from critical thinking to whatever fits the current regime.
>>
>>78895135
>Canadian intellectuals
>>
>>78896428
Good luck applying for a job if you tell them you educated yourself
>>
>>78895135
I'm taking stats and about to learn how to run hypothesis tests, I have my ti 84 ready to fuck shit up. Should I be ok?
>>
>>78895135
>The woke portion of the lower 80% are anti-intellectual
Shocking. Enjoy official permanent NEET Status in the new economy, losers.
>>
>>78896428
>Okay...It says here you worked as a shift manager at Menards for four years
>Wow, and you've spent four years doing independent reading on a variety of subjects!
>You're hired, Gomez! Welcome to Google!
>>
>>78896594
This is the problem with the modern economy, and the reason why everyone is shit at their job. Employers will pick an educated idiot over someone who learned on their own, 100% of the time. Paperwork trumps skill, because liability forces businesses to have a scapegoat prepared for when something goes wrong.
>>
>>78896295
Revisionist history and ebonics respectively
>>
>>78895135
he believes in global warming the post.
>>
>>78895135
Also OP what is your job? Are you an analyst?
>>
>>78895880
Do real art degrees even exist?
I think music is the only one that still has some decency
>>
>>78896594
Depends. Is the profession overpopulated? Then yes, the degree is used to limit applicants. In highly technical jobs, degrees mean jack shit. For example, if you're good with VR right now, you can write your own ticket, degreed or not. If you're an EE, you can get a job with or without a degree. For example, my father was an EE without a degree for 20 years before he went back and finished his degree.

The only time a degree is absolutely necessary is when the government steps in to protect prestigious positions for their friends and family. You get healthcare, engineering fields, and government positions for which a degree is non-negotiable, and sometimes even illegal to practice without. They're like union positions for the upper middle class, and much like union positions, they leech money from the rest of society.
>>
>>78896852
Incorrect. Most of my colleagues have degrees, but I don't.
>>
University only makes you dumb and not employable if you major in the wrong thing. Most STEM degrees are great and can net you a high-paying job. The problem is that most people (5/6 I believe) who graduate with a bachelor's degree major in non-STEM/unemployment degrees like psychology and English.
>>
>>78896852
Yeah, it's called the elite. They don't just let anyone in, you have to spend lots of money and time at a GOOD university.

Face it, you're the new peasant. It's okay. Obama's already talking about a permanent welfare system. You're even getting $15 an hour minimum wage!
>>
I have a biology and am unemployed. never worked with my degree before. seems like biology people just need to be doctors or do something else. what is there for people with a bachelor's in biology?
>>
>>78896852
This is why I came to the UK and put myself in debt (12k £) just to get a piece of paper from a good uni. Regardless of my skill or intelligence, this piece of paper will trump the skill of any other candidate without it. I don't like it, but it's the way our modern society operates
>>
>>78895546
wtf thanks for enlightening me, I'm now a #ShilaryforHillary
>>
>>78896852
>Paperwork trumps skill

Spending four years straight turning in 5-10 page academically credible essays and giving powerpoint presentations on subjects you just found out about 6 weeks ago counts for something. Each professor is like a manager, and many of them are total ass holes depending on what college you're at.

I get what you're saying though, there are some positions where somebody with 5 years of skills should account for something. But if somebody spent 4 years in a university, they probably have the mental capacity to learn whatever job they are starting.
>>
>>78897103
Psychology degree holders insist it's STEM and not witch-doctory.
>>
File: American flag.png (45 KB, 740x400) Image search: [Google]
American flag.png
45 KB, 740x400
>>78896594
>Good luck applying for a job if you tell them you educated yourself
>applying for a job

lol, working for anybody other than yourself? Stay stupid, I seriously need people like you to make my money for me.
>>
>>78897004
Music is a total joke. I am a classical guitarist, and I perform at music colleges. I have no music degree, but music majors come to watch me perform, and I'm regularly told I am a better performer than many people with PhD's in music.
>>
>>78896372
Correlation doesn't imply causation. Academics of the last half century are pressured to avoid the obvious cause, racial differences in intelligence.
>>
>>78897133
Haha my neighbor has a biology bachelors and he waits tables, poor guy. That major isn't easy either.
>>
>>78896852

I would never hire someone without an engineering degree for an engineering position.

I would never hire someone without an accounting degree for an accounting position.

I would never trust a medical doctor without an MD.

Most professions are speciality professions. No one is going to hire someone who doesn't have the fundamental merits of a profession.

Accounting bachelor degrees are more popular than liberal arts degrees. /pol/ would have you think that everyone majors in gender studies, I never met anyone in university who took a gender studies class.

>I taught myself structural engineering on the internet!

LOL GTFO
>>
>>78895135
STEM degrees are just fine, University whould purge their marxists parasites (who constitute 90% of the "educational" body").
>>
>>78897202
>the self employed meme

My entire family is self-employed. Nearly every single person, even my mother. That shit is seriously over-rated though. No benefits, no retirement, and usually no respect from the ass-holes of society.

I have my own business, but i'll probably go work at a corporation after I graduate.
>>
>>78897202

My professional goals are related to diplomacy, I don't give a fuck about you or your small-ass shit excuse for a business
>>
>>78895135
>falling for the 1 post by this id ruse
Shiggy digg mai niggy
>>
>>78897004
yeah pretty sure music is the only one close to a real degree? is photography a real one? I hope not as i wisely dropped from it, too many degenerate man children
>>
>>78897276
>Falling for the biology meme

Every biology major I know has a shit time after college. It's a worthless, but difficult degree. Pretty funny.
>>
File: Deadlifts.png (125 KB, 750x754) Image search: [Google]
Deadlifts.png
125 KB, 750x754
>>78895135
>>
Good goy, go to leftist hq and give them lots of money that you have to borrow. The "education" is totally worth it.
>>
>>78895135
Hydrology/SoilScience PhD here, I will be laughing my fucking ass off when the world runs out of drinkable water and people are looking for the ones who know where to find the remaining sources... all the SJWs and liberal arts cucks will die off first from complaining that "muh throat dry cuz white man took muh H2O"
>>
File: 1451279004022.jpg (3 MB, 1800x1322) Image search: [Google]
1451279004022.jpg
3 MB, 1800x1322
>>78896109
>I was dating a philosophy major. She was mocked around every corner.
that is actually depressing
>>
>>78895135
I almost ragequit one of my statistical and classical thermodynamics physics classes. It was a formula for radiation penetration of materials and the experiment was a complete failure because they were using equipment that was over 70 years old. The prof refused to listen to reason that despite 15 inches of lead surrounding the device that it was malfunctioning he believed it was because another student that was easily 20-30 feet away influenced the device which caused over 100 counts per minute, which is impossible being covered in that much lead, but he was a gross ass somali bastard that wouldn't listen. Even the black SA grad started questioning him and the chinese grad student did too and he shut them up pretty damn quick. I still passed but that was complete bullshit.
>>
>>78895135
you can LITERALLY learn all of that without university by simply studying on your own
>>
>>78897226
Leaving performing aside, do you know if they teach real theory and history and stuff or "let's just talk how Jamal and his mix tape revolutionized music"?
>>
>>78897513
Not really. From what I've seen, philosophy majors just read second-hand accounts of books written by philosophers.

I'm pretty sure I had read more books written by philosophers than she had, and I'm a business major who hates philosophy.
>>
>>78897538
You can study anything without going to a university. Universities are more than just access to knowledge.
>>
>>78895135
This is clearly a bait thread so I'll tell you why without getting angry:

/pol/ is not anti-intellectual. Rather, /pol/ prefers pure intellectual substance without bias, which cannot be found in many university courses/environments.
>>
>>78895880
Sociology, economics, and cultural studies are the big three.

>>78896109
Laugh now but the work of these academics goes on to influence major policy decisions.
>>
>>78897284
>trusting your engineer
>trusting your accountant
>trusting your MD

Fool detected. If you know what your condition is, 10 minutes on the internet will make you more informed on it than your GP. Yes, the breadth of knowledge of their domain is going to be greater, but spending even a modicum of your own time researching will make you more informed than them on your specific circumstance.
>>
>>78897688

Grainy infographics and cuck memes are not "pure intellectual substance".
>>
>>78897600
>theory
>history

Oh yeah, absolutely. You can learn all kinds of theory on Google and buy a couple books though. Private instructors are great too. I just don't think a music degree is worth it.

It's definitely not degenerate though.
>>
>>78897688
it's been a while i actually agreed with a leaf but pretty much this.
>>
>>78897688
>thinks /pol/ is unbiased
>>
>>78895880
How to actually name things MY EDDITON:

Artists should have guilds that people join from 14~50 or whatever. You're part of that guild and once you finish you get a title like. Master Artist or some shit. Not to be confused with real degrees aka STEM.

Social, Gender etc fields get their own name like. I'd say Retard be added to their name but they'd want something cool like Psy or Philosopher something don't care just remove any association with actual things from them.

Actual factual objective History get to say in the STEM courses because it's actually needed. "Black History" "Womans History" "Mens History" all of that gets canned to the above.

Languages get a ling infront of them not to be confused with actual degrees. I speak German, English, Czech and Croatian. This all means jackshit compared to my Computer Engineering degree.
>>
>>78897702
>influence major policy decisions

You mean when special interest groups come together, and they usually get the academic community backing them? Yeah I agree, it's bullshit. The average person just thinks they're fucktards though.

Conservatives should just organize into special interest groups, like the NRA does. Maybe we could finally illlegalize homosexuality again.
>>
>>78897276

Biology + any sort of mathematics or programming is an excuse to print money these days.

He should be learning how to program in his spare time.
>>
>>78895880
English? Really
>He doesn't read novels
What a fucking simpleton.
>>
>>78897734
>10 minutes on the internet will make you more informed in engineering than a professional engineer

Are you like 12 years old?
>>
>>78897734
> If you know what your condition is

Yeah well I had my appendix inflamed for 2 day and thought I had food poisoning. My general practical did it in 10 minutes of feeling around and say OH SNAP you better get to the hospital right now.

While google is reliable in a lot of things. But diagnosing you without any acutal data such as saliva analysis, blood analysis and so on is VERY FUCKING UNRELIABLE.

101 things have the same symptoms.
>>
>>78897635
Have you tried reading Kant or Hegel in English? Fucking awful writers, it is as though they intentionally obfuscated the meaning of their works. For some of the philosophers, German philosophers in particular, if you can't actually read German, you're better off reading second-hand analyses.
>>
>>78897381
>My entire family is self-employed.
So illegal Mexicans raking the leaves and scrubbing the toilets then?
>>78897386
Oh, so you're going to be on the government doll? So am I actually. I'm taking money every way possible. And I'll be taking way more than you ever will (lol, without a college degree) but whatever. At some point I'm sure I'll end up buying the influence you wish you had as a diplomat just as a matter of course. Like I said, stay stupid though.
>>
After going to college, I realized that a majority of the information on the internet is either severely lacking or straight out wrong.

People who think they're educated from reading things on the internet are...possibly deluded. I do know somebody who is pretty brilliant on a couple subjects just by reading books and surfing the web though.
>>
File: 1459639636483.jpg (9 KB, 239x241) Image search: [Google]
1459639636483.jpg
9 KB, 239x241
>>78897783
>what /pol/ creates or does with information is equivalent to preferring to receive unbiased information
That is not what I said

>>78897829
That is not what I said
>>
>>78898044
I see you've never hired an engineer before. You pay for a rubber stamp. You're an idiot if you don't double check everything yourself.
>>
>>78897783
You won't get a non-meme response on this issue, is the conclusion.
>>
>>78897133
depends on your specialization in biology
if you are generic biology, wildlife biology, or something super easy, then yeah chances are you will be unemployed, however, if you have a specialization like biochemistry, biophysics, or microbiology, then your chances are dramatically more favorable, also a lot of it depends on where you live.
biology is much more needed along coastal areas and larger cities
>>
>>78898120
I speak German. No thanks I don't want to read Cunts that used "pretty language" and "sophisticated language"

Like you said they're purposefully obstructing the reader from reading their text with tons of meaningless words for the sake of elitism aka sounding smart and sophisticated.

The only language that should be written overly complicated and specific should be LAW language. Because you don't want your law to be interpreted in 2 ways.

Quran aka Mudslimes have a huge issues with this because it's written in crazy arabic from 1500 years ago and it's 100% true. So you get 101 conflicting things in it. Sandmongrels need a reformation but none will come because a reformation is literally HARAM since Allah is 100% correct. What fucking retards.
>>
>>78898104
>Why does my side hurt?
>What is this lump?
>lol Must be food poisoning!
>>
>>78898104
I had one doctor tell me I had hep, another who said I didn't. I had to research it myself to find out the hep vaccine I got when I traveled out of country was giving a false positive.
>>
>>78897004
strangely enough my step-dad has a degree in music , worked on greese and is now a head teacher at a school, he has been working in teaching maths for years but he got a maths teaching job with a music degree
>>
>>78898120
Yeah I read that book on the noumenon by Kant. Some parts were kinda entertaining, but I personally think it's fucking stupid anybody would sit down and just ponder, deconstruct, and theorize ideas to the extent of creating a philosophical theory like that.

Only because it's simply not practical, for anybody. Not on a spiritual level, not on an enlightenment level, nothing. It does not change or improve anybody's life in any way.
>>
File: 1466667783845.jpg (64 KB, 945x945) Image search: [Google]
1466667783845.jpg
64 KB, 945x945
The reason you need a degree is proof. PROOF.

This "I taught myself some really complicated shit" applies to about 1% of the population. How many NEETs actually study science? How many NEETs actually emerge from their NEET cocoons with the equivalent knowledge of a physics bachelors, for instance?

Fucking none, is the answer. How many, however, will tell you they study this shit? All of them.

The actual truth is they sit at home, maybe read a wiki page per day without doing any actual work and then they go back to their NG++ Dark Souls playthrough.

Your degree parchment is proof that you've actually done some work and have been independently tested on your knowledge.
>>
>>78898160
On what please? What do you double check yourself?

You you double checking your ARM architecture on your phone? Are you double checking your LCD IPS matrix on your TV? Are you double checking your washing machine?

Or you going to double check your structural calculations when building a wall? Because engineer is a WIDE spectrum of things and you're obviously referring to construction.
>>
>Have no ambition or interests that are profitable.
>Retarded to the max.
>Basically just waiting to die.

What's a useful university/college solution? I'm thinking accounting.
>>
>>78895135
/pol/ are bunch of idiots...
At least lit and his have some knowledge. Tehy are at least hobby historians and literature readers.
/pol/ is way worse. Full of actual paranoid delusional nutjobs, angsty teens and just lazy dumb people.
>>
>>78898358
There was no lump. I had upper stomach pains with no pain in the bottom part. When I ate something it hurt. I had diarrhea.

Only when the doctor literally took his hands and rammed them up where the apendix was did I feel anything there. All the pain was non localized.
>>
>>78898217
ya, doesnt help that i live in one of the most biology heavy and animal lovey place in the states. a fuck ton of competition. i dont have any specialization.
>>
>>78898359
Thats more an issue with people for some fucking reason not having personal medical databases that are encrypted and can be unlocked for the doctor you wish to visit.

Had the first one known you had that he could have come to the conclusion it's the vacine.
>>
>>78898575
listen here jew, I am just a passing by /sci/entist
I enjoy the craziness of this board plus I at least support their claims of killing useless trash jews.

hopefully islam and jews kill each other off soon
>>
>>78898444
If you've been in college you know that cheating is rampant and with the advent of affirmative action negros, group projects and group grades carry them through.
>>
>>78898469
That's not hiring an engineer you daft cunt.
>>
>>78898575
/lit/ where opinions matter.
>>
>>78898672
They have all my medical records you piece of shit. They just can't be assed to check.
>>
>>78897734
This. Treatment is cheaper if you do it yourself as well, assuming you don't need surgery. "Fish" antibiotics are a life saver, and broken bones can be set at home.
>>
>>78898104

There is an epidemic in society today where everyone thinks they are an expert in everything because of the internet. Despite the fact that other people are actual experts from devoting their life with years or even decades of experience.

It creates issues in some areas, especially medicine because everyone tries to self diagnose now.

A few years ago I had a very persistent dry cough, that I was convinced (because of the internet) was an asthmatic cough caused by allergens in my home. I went to see a (very experienced) specialty doctor who asked a few questions, checked a few things and was able to determine the cause on the spot and prescribe the correct treatment. Something I never would have found on the internet, and a skilled diagnosis that came from decades of experience. Hours of googling would never have given me the same diagnosis.
>>
>>78898938
There's also an epidemic in society today where people trust "experts" just because they have some paperwork and a business. Mechanics can fuck up your car, doctors can fuck up your body. You got lucky.
>>
>>78897702
>comparing economics to sociology and cultural studies .
>>
>>78898444
>Your degree parchment is proof that you've actually done some work and have been independently tested on your knowledge.

Educational standards have fallen so badly that that really doesn't mean what it used to.

Also, actually doing something is better proof that you can do it than a piece of paper.
>>
File: 1466696964837.jpg (1 MB, 3136x2352) Image search: [Google]
1466696964837.jpg
1 MB, 3136x2352
>>78898730

That only happens in shit colleges and unis and in shit subjects.

It's kinda hard to cheat an exam on something like electrodynamics or similar when the only thing you're allowed to take into the exam room is a non-graphical calculator. I've rad dudes on here talking about taking crib sheets into exams; unheard of if you're at a Russell Group uni in the UK or the American equivalent (I imagine).
>>
>>78898938
Pah-lease. GP's assume every non-bloody cough is a respiratory tract infection and prescribe an antibiotic for it. Every rash is an allergic reaction and gets a steroid cream. That's not expertise.
>>
>>78897136
What are you studying?
>>
>>78895135
>The fuck? Why is /pol/ anti-intellectual?
>I also know that statistics can be manipulated to prove anything, and look at reports with a critical eye.
You just answered your own question there, so many arguments on /pol/ and really any political shitposting communities are just cherry-picked stats with no further analysis than 'x is scum/subhuman/evil'
>>
>>78898575
You're retarded, we discuss OP's idea several times on /lit/ every week and we always come to the same conclusion: /pol/ is not anti-intellectual, we're anti-pseudointellectual.
>>
>>78895135
depends on the degree dude some are literally useless like womens study and political science.
>>
>>78899199
I'd agree with you, except that Neil deGrasse Tyson exists.
>>
You've clearly missed the gripes that people here arguing against university actually have and failed to account for the fact that /pol/ is a diverse pool of people many of whom are attending themselves.

University USED to be for the elite to specialize but now more than ever it's become a way to make money off of good goys. /pol/'s hangups are with liberal arts students and the Marxist bullshit that students get nuked with, not with college itself.

I would have thought that an enlightened college millennial such as yourself would be able to make these distinctions yourself but in your brilliant, unmatched college educated mind /pol/ is all one person all decrying the same aspect of the same thing. Thank God for education.
>>
>>78899042
>There's also an epidemic in society today where people trust "experts" just because they have some paperwork and a business.

This is how society has operated for the majority of civilized human history. The epidemic I mentioned is relatively new.

>Mechanics can fuck up your car, doctors can fuck up your body.

Yeah, but I'm more likely to fuck it up since I'm not an expert with years of experience and life devotion to practice.

>You got lucky.

We've all heard misdiagnosis horror stories, but that isn't the norm in any way.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,t.u1.jpg (134 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,t.u1.jpg
134 KB, 800x800
>ITT assblasted redditors mad because a bunch of plumbers and construction workers on /pol/ blow them the fuck out in every thread
>>
>>78895880
>language studies
Fucking why?

I studied math in college but took a minor in a foreign language as a hobby. It kept me sane and was a huge breather from my actual difficult classes. Foreign language studies are a blessing in college. Fun time class. Wouldn't major in it, but still.
>>
>>78899509
Most things that you think require expertise, actually don't.
>>
Why do white, middle class people have such an aversion to trades? You can go to the local electrician union hall, sign up for an apprenticeship, and be making $18/hour the next week. At journeyman level, you're making $40/hour where I live (midwest).

I have a math degree, now I work for an engineering firm and alongside tradesmen, and I honestly wish I would've done that.
>>
>>78896321
Yeah, nah. My brother teaches at one of the most prestigious schools in England and was given a contract to make ridiculous money, but didn't take it. He's never set foot inside a college/university (as a student). He just got a qualification and made connections and landed the job. He still works there but under a different contract.

This is the kind of bullshit we hate about collegefags. No you absolutely do not need a college education to have a high paying job and more than anything it's about your social skills and the connections you make. My father has been overqualified for every job he's ever had as a STEM PhD graduate.
>>
>>78895135
This pasta is how many months old?
>>
>>78899234

Mine was neither of those. It was actually caused by acid-reflux, and the dry cough was a relatively rare symptom of it.

Not a respiratory infection, and not an antibiotic for treatment.

Your comment is an amazing example to prove my point though, thanks.
>>
>>78895135
I have a management degree. People around me in class were rarely more intelligent, hard-working or cultured than my friends without diplomas.

Sure, I wasn't in the best university but still, my classmates are better paid today than my friends without diplomas.

I'm not saying that diplomas are a bad way to assess someone potential but it's far from perfect.

Now about the anti-intellectual thing, I think it's a natural reaction to a society that was putting too much faith in rational thinking. The 20th century proved that science driven societies can be as much unfair and deadly as a society that isn't.

Still, there are a majority of retards that will believed everything a guy with a labcoat says. Even though science validated everything they consider racist one century ago.
>>
>>78895135
Modern education is an absolute mockery of what it used to be and is now nothing more than blatant brain washing to create this new generation of communist degenerates.
>>
>>78897635
""self-educated"" philosopher detected
>>
>>78895135
> American education system
> Intellectual

Pick one,
>>
>best friend did 4 years of post secondary education to become a second grade teacher
>he's basically a baby sitter
>left with 50k in debt living frugally whilst in school to become a government nanny
>I became a machinist on zero debt in a year and make double what he does, I also have marketable skills

When will uni cucks learn?
>>
>>78895135
>anti-intellectual
We're pro-reality, faggot.
>>
File: 1334187398645.jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1334187398645.jpg
22 KB, 400x300
>>78895546
>mfw bachelor's
>mfw 1/10 the median weekly earnings
going to college was a mistake
>>
>>78895135
The problem is modern intellectuals mistake indoctrination for education.
>>
>>78899958
>American education system

You mean the most advanced research universities in the world?
>>
>>78899985
Literally have no choice as my parents force me to get a bachelors degree. That's why 'I don't learn '
>>
>>78899945
What does it matter? It's all make-believe anyways.
>>
>>78900091
>You mean the most advanced research universities in the world?

Yeah but for every one of those your have forty other tertiary education establishments offering credit for shit like going to the fucking gym.
>>
>>78899945
No I just took a bunch of philosophy classes at college when I started, by accident. I didn't know that I only needed one.

One of the professors was some big-shot in the philosophy community. Smart guy, but the subject is kinda pointless.
>>
>>78899754
Congratulations, you've found the one useful GP on the planet.
>>
>>78897284
Pretty much this. A degree is just a piece of paper that basically says you're qualified in the designated field, but doesn't say how intelligent the person with the said degree is.

Sure. I would trust the guy who has been through the 4 years of medical school and has their degree over some idiot that thinks he's the next doogie howser just because he or she read WebMD, but you would be surprised how many people think google is a great substitute for the real deal.

on the flipside, there are people who have done the said specialized trade or profession for years, and some of the education for those trades and/or professions have been completely dumbed down to idiotic levels, that some grads are completely clueless on how to actually do the said trade or profession. that's why some companies require some experience in the field and reluctant to hire new grads.
>>
>>78900280
>read the noumenon or whatever
>was entertaining

Sure, anon. It's all make believe.
>>
>>78899985
You also have no future.
>>
>>78900624
It is, though.
>>
>>78899985
>lol what an idiot, people actually like contributing to society and making sure there is a decent future despite an overwhelming pressure to become a slave to money
when will everyone stop buying into the neoliberal selfish gene meme
>>
>>78897513
diogenes, my man.
>>
>>78900631
What on earth? A machinist will always have a future. It's one of the most useful trades that exists.
>>
>>78900321

The Dunning Kruger effect is strong with you.
>>
>>78901030
Doing so the same repetitive menial job for the rest of your life is not a future.
>>
>>78895135
You know damn well our beef isn't with your statistics professor. Go easy on that straw man, i think he's had enough.
>>
>>78900521

Of course experience is preferable to inexperience, but there are fields where the barrier for entry requires a degree.
>>
>>78901227
You're thinking of sweatshop work. Look up what machinists actually do in first-world countries.
>>
>>78896428
It's not about what you know, it's about what a fancy paper says you know
>>
>>78901509
Which is a problem we should be trying to solve directly, instead of "solving" it by giving everyone a piece of paper.
>>
>>78897179
>spending four years straight turning in 5-10 page academically credible essays and giving powerpoint presentations on subjects you just found about 6 weeks ago

Holy shit, this feels familiar. But, yeah, at least here, even though universities are kind of shit (but FREE) you are at least supposed to learn how to sift through proper statements and just generic I AM TOTALLY RIGHT writings and how to be factually thorough. You can't imagine what wastes of air some universities pop out, from IT to History to Language Studies to Social Sciences to Law. It's like they're almost functionally literate. It's depressing as fuck, famlam.
>>
>>78895546
Oh fuck guess I'm a #CruzMissile now.
>>
>>78897450
damn
>>
>>78901469
I know what they do, and it's basically a more sophisticated form of sweatshop work.
>>
>>78895135
Because 60% of pol are chronic underachievers flinging 3rd rate insults to make themselves feel less shitty.
>>
>>78895135
Watched the VICE special about student debt tonight. They try to stir up sympathy for this girl with huge student debt. Then you find out she went 158k into debt to get a degree for working with children. Wow, get an expensive degree for a low paying job. Retards.
>>
>>78895135
First of all your entire threads starts as a strawman
>>university makes you dumber
Can you properly define or point out instances that anyone on /pol/ has literally said this? You make it sound as if it is the literally meaning "dumber" and not the more nuanced "university doesn't make you wise", "university feeds you packaged opinions" I think this is what most people on /pol/ mean.

>>heh, good luck getting a job with your shitty degree
This is easily verifiable. A lot of people with superfluous degrees have difficulty finding employment

None of this makes you anti-intellectual. You are a faggot ass bitch.
>>
>>78896321

What. I only have a cert III in Polymer and i earn 29 an hour.
>>
>>78896321
>anything more that 12/hr requires a degree
where the hell did you get this from?
I started at almost that in a warehouse and now have a desk job at 20/hr with no degree
>>
>>78895135
Degree inflation sucks

Most degrees are useless. They help get a job, sure, but a lot won't land you a career unless you're working to make connections already. You don't need a degree for that, just luck and social capability.
>>
>>78895135
/pol/ shills consistently for STEM. The only thing I've seen consistently derided is the soft sciences aka sociology (based before 1970's tho), psychology and the offshoots of such like gender studies. Less consistently I also see AGW related fields, history (as a major not as a field though) and economics.

They soft sciences do not use empirical evidence and rather have become politically decided consensus by committee disasters. They should be mocked.
>>
>>78896182
That's the point though, liberal arts churns out way too many degrees. No one is arguing that college is useless, a lot of degrees are useless. I have a psychology degree and now I'm studying accounting.
>>
>>78902174
so you think people who want to pursue an admirable career i.e. educating children should be discouraged, burdened with unnecessary debt and mocked for not picking a career that will make them heaps of money?
>>
>>78902349
fuck teachers. they're mostly self righteous pricks who have been failing for years..demonstrably so.
>>
>>78900631

My senior managers at the plant make well over a six figure income. I've had two promotions in the last 4 years.
>>
>>78902288
Empiricism/rationalism has essentially supplanted religion in society, you're a fool if you think it holds all the answers
>>
>>78897284
I have the job title of an engineer at my job and I do not have an engineering or any other degree. I guess I'm lucky I get to hang out with all the big boys being that I do not having the "fundamental merits" necessary.
>>
>>78902695
Religion is separate from science. Sciences should be pure empiricism or they aren't really science.
>>
>>78896841

Funnily enough Google is one of the few places that actually would be highly impressed by somebody who self studied and accumulated an impressive skill set.
>>
>>78902546
well that's your opinion based on your experiences, I'm sorry you feel as if your schooling failed you. I have had poor teachers in the past but most of them have been at least adequate at their job if not exemplary and I think everyone should have the opportunity to be taught by such people

why are we pushing intelligent people towards the pursuit of material wealth rather than expanding and distributing knowledge?
>>
University is where you go into debt to take exams. Nothing more.
>>
>>78902844
>Religion is separate from science
that is just historically untrue, throughout human existence religion has both heavily influenced and been influenced by scientific thought.

>Sciences should be pure empiricism or they aren't really science
that's only been the case since the dawn of modernity and the death of god, it is impossible to be completely objective

I'm not saying we shouldn't pursue scientific advancement but we should be wary that it is subject to the social world in which it operates
>>
>>78903396
I'm speaking from a theoretical and idyllic perspective. Practically; yes scientists will have biases and some may take the form of religion. Ideally though science should be kept separate from religion or any other bias, though it is obviously not a 100% attainable ideal.
>>
>>78903396
Historically, yes, religion has been a proto-science insofar as it allows humans to think in abstract and transcendental terms about things they could have no possible understanding of.

Also, social sciences can't really be the same as natural sciences because the object of your study is in fucking motion and change all the time, and the factors that contribute to it are being studied by psychology, (social) history and whatnot. That doesn't mean there can't be an attempt to study it, just that it's not going to look good to STEM autists.
>>
> Are you going to purge the professors like the commies did after the day of the rope?
Only the ones in Arts, Law, and Education who are all Bolshies.
>>
>>78902316
No degree is useless. There are only useless students.
>>
>>78895135

OP are you sure you know about statistics.
>>
>>78895135
>heh, good luck getting a job with your shitty degree
when half the time it's aimed at humanities it doesn't even make sense

humanities aren't aimed at people who are going to study for 3 years and go in to the workforce, rather remain in academia or go to work for governmental institutions and those are limited as fuck already
>>
We'll only purge the ((((professors))))
>>
>>78895135
Eh, I have a family member who's gonna be a doctor

.. About as sharp and as a water balloon tbqh. The only reason this person got into medicine was because that's what they were pushing during the time of their HS graduation. This person has no real desire to help anyone, had no inclination to ever be the selfless helping type or had any real hobbies growing up.
>>
>>78895135
I hope is anti intellectuals take over your cucked country. I fucking despise Canadians. I hope that within my lifetime, I see the death of your shitty way of existence. FUCK CANADA!
>>
>>78898160

Kek.

We got an electrical diagram from an alleged "engineer" for a flare system.

The fucking thing wasn't even half labeled.
>>
>>78895135
If you've went to university you're most likely from communities which are secluded from neo-liberal policies, """refugees""" will not be placed in expensive areas, thus they'll never experience the outcome of their policies.

Not to mention university degrees are highly inflated where you'll earn more and spend less time while learning a skill or trade, thus spending multiple years in order to gain debt for a paper which, unless you land an internship in the selected field, it'll be negative for common jobs as you then have no practical experience, in debt, and presumably got no apartment/car

but generally, politics in uni is highly delusional and is based on feelings and morality rather than practicality
>>
>>78895546
Most of this board lives in suburban bubbles or cities senpai. I live in a rural area and my internet is pretty okay considering the nearest town is like a 20 minute drive from here.
>>
>>78897688
A lot of people never read the sources for shit on this board though which is why the infographs are usually garbage.

People should just stick to academically credible sources like long term studies from universities, even if the data is often manipulated.

It's a lot more respectable than seeing sources like TheGuardian or Brietbart articles which often have no sources themselves other than spouting shit like "recent reports suggest...", with no actual data
>>
>>78905054
haven't seen anything source to news articles, it's usually gov statistics or pewpoll
>>
>>78895135
So you basically read this book in the span of 5 years?

There's literally nothing wrong with either going or not going to college, its a fucking choice, and is retarded to think otherwise

You won't get a job without a title doe, but being honest most probably you won't get it with one either
>>
>>78905054
Sitting in a room and reading infinite papers of bullshit won't get you near any truth nor help you in any way, theoretical knowledge is brain masturbation

All you need to do is test, practical testing of stuff is what shows you what way to follow until the next problem that requires a new test

You can say "studies show that gender is a social construct" 1000 times, but the fact is, that day i tried to pick up a tranny, it had a dick, that other day i tried to pick up a woman, it had some sort of weird moisty slot
>>
And this is why globalism is shit. During communism(>inb4 I'm a commie), since there was no massive emigration/immigration under the Iron Curtain, the state calculated(with an added margin for deceases and what not) how many people in each profession they'd need and universities would put out that number of places for admission. Nowadays, university professors(especially of humanistic faculties), treat it like a business, so they let as many people in, bullshitting them about the relevancy of their offered degrees and you end up with a lot of unemployed retards.

In Romania 1-2 or two years ago(and this is a 'tradition' already) 7-8 people fought for each offered place at the Faculty of Journalism at the State Uni of Bucharest and they are already offering waaaay to many places for such a degree.
>>
>>78895135
>Anti-/pol/ thread with hundreds of non saged replies

I hate this board

Op universities are pozzed shit holes that barely value free speech
There is nothing I take more pleasure in than seeing old professors being yelled at and shouted down by the politically charged Marxist students
They deserve those students because they stood ideally by or worse encouraged the growth of the cancer

The group with the least courage on this earth are the academic class
They are spineless cucks who desire nothing more than to continue studying their field even if their ideals are compromised
Respect but never look up to or idealize a professor /pol/
>>
File: 1385671391338.png (123 KB, 268x332) Image search: [Google]
1385671391338.png
123 KB, 268x332
>>78895135
The thing about universities is that we don't live in ancient greece. We live in the year 2016. Do you know how many institutions are NOT controlled by jews? Or not just jews, ANYONE with an agenda they're trying to push?
Why is it that universities, the birthplace of knowledge and rational thinking, is where all of these mentally ill degenerates come from? They weren't told "accept gays because of this and that, this is immoral, that is immoral", it's done basically at gunpoint since your whole future is basically based on whether or not you get a degree and what kind.
Why is it that no matter what you're studying, you have mandatory classes like gender studies or something about abbos beating sticks together to make music? This isn't about cultural enrichment and diversity or anything else, it's about brainwashing.

I though jew memes where all ironic "haha, de jewz amirite xd", but every joke has a bit of truth in it and the jewish agenda is the biggest red pill I have swallowed. I don't even know how I realized this on neo-/pol/. This place is pretty jewish with its flag and ID shit. Make people fight eachother because of their flag instead of talking about real issues.
>>
>>78899114
Not comparing make believe things to each other.

anon please.
>>
>>78899515
this
>>
>I also know that statistics can be manipulated to prove anything
It's a shame this isn't common knowledge.
>>
>>78895135
Depends on the degree you're getting. /pol/ isn't anti-intellectual.
>>
File: ClzR3azWYAASWOy.jpg (66 KB, 750x421) Image search: [Google]
ClzR3azWYAASWOy.jpg
66 KB, 750x421
I was going to start a thread on this, because it is fascinating me a lot at the moment.

The two huge current events that /pol/ is highly interested in, and support almost wholeheartedly are Brexit and the rise of Trump.

Both the phenomena exist because of the rise of anti-intellectualism and the growing acceptability of being 'ignorant and proud'.

The Brexit campaign was literally built on the idea that people are 'tired of listening to experts' (Michael Gove's words). People voted based on emotions rather than facts, and they didn't even care; they actively AVOIDED facts because that might have challenged the way they saw the world.

They have legitimised stupidity amongst the masses; a pig-headed denial of progress and enlightenment in favour of small-mindedness and fear.

It's ironic that /pol/ constantly posts about blacks and their apparently low-IQs, and liberals and their 'emotions', yet openly celebrate movements that totally exemplify these characteristics.
>>
>>78895135
It's not necessarily about being anti-intellectual, it's about people with shit degrees thinking they are omniscient because they studied some lib arts shit.
>>
>>78895135
Strictly speaking, the problem isn't universities or even Marxist sociology professors. The problem is our government giving large student loans to everyone who wants to study under said Marxist sociology professors.

Without government funding bad degrees, the bad parts of university would collapse.
>>
>>78910916
See another anti-/pol/ poster

When did this board become so filled with people who are against this board?
I really started to notice it in December but it has just gotten worse and worse

Anyway intellectuals cause massacres
Any movement that hides under the banner of intellect has always been devastating to the people
>>
>>78910916

>This whole smuggly dismissive 'know your betters' attitude

Yeah this right here is why you lost. For two decades now the working class have been complaining about immigration. While the logic here may not be 100%, it is close enough. Migrants push down wages and put pressure of local services. Migration of alien culture leads to ghettoisation. And since 1997 the political gatekeepers have shut down any debate on this issue with cries (echoed in the media) of bigotry, racism and xenophobia.

Now that the working class has been given a voice (elections barely count) and used that voice, the mask of the 'tolerant' left has slipped. Your post is a prime example of this.
>>
>>78910916
>listening to (((experts)))
>making an informed decision

The experts are pushing an ideology and form of government. We have already seen what their methods deliver and people don't like it. You're confusing disaffection and disobedience with ignorance.

Sure there's some truly ignorant people but now we're the ones manipulating their emotions. In their case they're disaffected, in ours disobedient.
>>
File: IMG_0160.png (2 MB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0160.png
2 MB, 1242x2208
>>78895135
>mfw I'm about to go to work
>mfw I'm in a bachelors program on my way to becoming a CPA
>mfw op is retarded
>>
>>78895824

>Statistics blew my fucking mind. It's like magic or something.

Because you were extraordinarily stupid before m8
>>
No no not anti intellectual

Anti indoctrination
>>
>>78911307

>This whole smuggly dismissive 'know your betters' attitude

Yet both these campaigns are built on the foundation of 'You're better than these people because reasons. It doesn't matter if you're uneducated or give nothing to society, you're still better!'.

I agree with your argument about working class concerns being ignored or dismissed. I believe this has been the greatest failure of Labour, and this is emphasised by the fact that the areas that were most strongly Leave were former Labour strongholds.
>>
>>78895880
>English
isn't /pol/ in favor of preserving and appreciating good literature? besides that, English gives you a strong understanding of the language and how to read between the lines, not to mention better communication skills (especially in writing, an area in which you would be amazed how many people are fucking awful at)
>>
>>78899114
to be fair, economics is considered a social science that attempts to rationalize and describe patterns of human behavior on a global scale
>>
>>78895135
It's because academia is a bloody echo-chamber. It doesn't matter how smart or ‘intellectual’ you are, in such an environment anyone will start to say and do dumb stuff.
>>
>>78911307
it's the left here that has spent decades ignoring facts other than the ones they agree with or make up since they are in charge of either the media or higher education.

>>78911973
citizens are always better. otherwise the "country" is just the world's garbage dump and society is just as bad. welcoming in millions of unskilled illegals and not marginalizing others at the same time is impossible.
>>
>>78898754
>he's never heard of architectural engineering
>>
>>78895880
>Purge English
But then who's going to teach you English?
Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.