[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buddhism: what does /pol/ think of it. Particularly, how does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 13
File: buddh.jpg (593 KB, 2556x1767) Image search: [Google]
buddh.jpg
593 KB, 2556x1767
Buddhism: what does /pol/ think of it. Particularly, how does it compare to the other major religions in terms of the conduct of its practitioners?
>>
>>70792099
Deep in their hearts they're nihilists.
>>
based religion. I dare you to name one with a lower violence rate.
>>
File: 19sld2.jpg (39 KB, 370x266) Image search: [Google]
19sld2.jpg
39 KB, 370x266
>>70792099
Deadly. Avoid.
>>
>>70792183

The ultimate truth is nothingness my Brazilian friend

Attachment to form/desire/thoughts of self are the causes of suffering
>>
Daoism is for Buddhists who wanna fuck still.
>>
Buddah did not die for our sins. Therefore, it's irrelevent.
>>
>>70792099
Taoism and Buddhism is the thinking man's religion
All other religion are leashes for the ignorant masses who can only be little more more than animal.
>>
>>70793102
Sin and virtue are two faces of the same coin.
>>
File: IMG_2240.jpg (495 KB, 1219x1564) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2240.jpg
495 KB, 1219x1564
>>70792099
Good stuff but /pol/ threads about it are terrible because many people here seem to be triggered by it. Another problem is most people including here on /pol/ majorly misunderstand it or have major misconceptions about it which is why in Buddhist threads at least a third of the thread is people saying "its dumb because of X" even though X isn't true.

>>70792857
>what are lay buddhists
>>
>>70793644

Agreed. /pol/ needs to do the research on Eastern philosophy and religion
>>
>>70792099
They fucking hate muslims so buddists are cool in my book.
>>
>>70792099
I think it's pretty stupid that they try remove wants and desires in order to not feel pain. A bullet to the brain does the same thing and is way faster.
>>
>>70795603
But they also believe in reincarnation which would defeat the purpose of doing that
>>
>>70795603
>in order to not feel pain
As far as I understand it, its more about finding satisfaction in everyday life and eliminating human weaknesses like greed or feelings of inadequacy.

And hating the shit out of Muslims.
>>
>>70793644
>>70792099

>Protip: You can be a Buddhist Christian, their theologies are compatible
>>
>>70796198
Buddhism is compatible with every religion except for Islam
I've seen Christian Buddhists, Hindu Buddhists, Shinto Buddhists
Buddhism is more of an ideology than a race
>>
>>70793102
There is more proof buddha existed than Jesus
>>
>>70795603
The idea is that the pleasure material things bring also brings about negative feeling of suffering and discontentment when they eventually are lost. All things must come to an end, and the only way to release yourself from that suffering is to release yourself from the impermanent. By releasing yourself, you will be able to free yourself from the endless cycles of birth and death, according to them.
>>
>>70792748
> The ultimate truth is nothingness my Brazilian friend
that's the impersonalists though

I'd say awareness and divine service are also the end goals
>>
>>70795603
Its more like "desire is the root of all suffering"
He wanted people to remove all kinds of desires so that the mind can be at peace
But then it reaches a conflict
Whenever I asked this to the Guru, he never really answered it, he told me to sit down (I was just a kid, like 10 years old)
Isn't the want to remove all desires, a desire in itself? If that's the case then we can never really be freed of all desires
>>
File: 17.jpg (82 KB, 736x742) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
82 KB, 736x742
>>70792099
Actually went to a buddhist place of meditation this monday, an old buddy of mine called me up out of the blue and asked if I wanted to go.
Hadn't meditated in any real sense since 2010 when I went for a 10 day stay at a Vipassana center.
It was pretty nice, I still possessed the ability, to not move for 40 minutes, even though your body and ego really wants you to acknowledge the pain you feel.
Afterwords there were some pretty lame excersise where you had to talk about intent and shit, I just subtly brought up the fact that lesser cultures should not be tolerated and that tolerance has more to do with cowardice than warmth.
The group was pretty chocked, but because I lined it in leftsit newspeak, they adhered to it and the remainder of the session it was all everyone talked about...
Buddhism is not a religion, it is a technique within "hinduism" which isn't really a religion as well.
I would recommend VIpassana to everyone who wants to be able to handle living in crazyland, no matter how fucked up shit get, you can always go into your true self and leave the pain and suffering behind.
Some people use it as a crutch though, I have no respect for that.
Meditation used to be a big part of all religions.
>>
>>70797083
This.
I medidate every day, its not a religious activity
Its something to calm you down, to make you feel relaxed
>>
>>70796862
>Isn't the want to remove all desires, a desire in itself?

I would say it can be if you allow it to be. It should simply be a state of being, rather than a desire. Perhaps that is something that keeps many from enlightenment?
>>
File: ladakh monastery.png (3 MB, 1315x875) Image search: [Google]
ladakh monastery.png
3 MB, 1315x875
>>70797296
Perhaps
Most of the "Gurus" that you see preaching to people for money have never really reached enlightenment
If you truly want to meet the ones who have, you need to go to a legit monastery, I went to Ladakh (buddhist-dominated place in North India) and it was a surreal experience talking to those guys
Did the same in a thailand monastery too, although the monk wasn't that fluent in english so it was a bit difficult to understand
pic related, its the ladakh monastery
>>
>>70792099
I think it's pretty based.
>>
>>70796198
>Buddhism : transcending the self and the attainment of non-conditioned "existence" and the denial of any rebirth
>Christianity : literal resurrection, ie. rebirth

I don't think they're compatible at all.
>>
>>70797215
>Its something to calm you down, to make you feel relaxed

I'm pretty triggered by this. I don't think Buddhism can be described the same way xanax is.

>>70797083
Have you read this? Does it correspond to what you know of buddhism?

http://www.saddhamma.org/pdfs/mahasi-practical-insight-meditation.pdf
>>
>>70797827
You got them mixed up bud.
>>
>>70792099
I don't really think buddhists know anything special. Same as any religion.
>>
Giving up all material desires is pretty neat, right? It seems like such a smart way to be happy! Oh wait, China is killing us and all our kin and wiping out our religion and turning everything we believe to dust. Won't you help us, religious and empathetic westerners?

MAYBE YOU SHOULD GIVE UP ALL MATERIAL DESIRES ABOUT IT YOU FUCKS
>>
>>70797827
Buddhism takes the base concept of Hinduism and expands on it
Buddha came up with it during a time when Hinduism was corrupted with money, power and false ideologies hence he wasn't able to get an answer from it
Hinduism explained the concept of rebirth, karma, that every action we do results in a counter-action governed by nature
That every creature born, must die one day and will be reborn
The only way to escape from this continuous cycle of death and rebirth was to attain "moksha" translated to "enlightenment"
But that's all that Hinduism said
It never explained how enlightenment is to be achieved
Which is why Buddha searched for the answer on his own

>>70798040
Meditation isn't a buddhist activity
Its practiced by several people of different religions and ideologies
>>
>>70796862
>Isn't the want to remove all desires, a desire in itself?
You'll have to do some things to be able to get rid of desires. It doesn't just magically disappear.

Also, poo in loo
>>
>>70798057
From >>70797690

>Beyond the human bond is the divine bond, attachment to this or that state, to a state that is no longer human, corporeal, or terrestrial, but that is still conditioned existence. These states in the Hindu tradition are personified in the various gods and in their seats; they are equivalent to the seraphic and angelic hierarchies of Judeo-Christian theology, therefore. to what, in a more popular concept, is called "paradise." The Doctrine of Awakening aims at surmounting these states: it tests the vocations by asking at what point one can apprehend that these very states are inadequate in the face of a will for fhe unconditioned, and that to have them as the extreme point of reference and as the supreme justification of existence is still a bond, an insufficiency, a thirst, a mania. Thus, in the canon, these words appear: "You should feel shame and indignation if ascetics of other schools ask you if it is in order to arise in a divine world that ascetic life is practiced under the ascetic Gotama."

So if this interpretation is correct I don't have anything mixed up.
>>
>>70797827

Thanks for your 2 seconds of brainpower leaf

now go and figure out how rebirth in Jesus' astral being and leaving the wheel of resurrection could be compatible
>>
>>70798318
>Its practiced by several people of different religions and ideologies

This is understood. But it seems rather clear to me that the way in which it is practiced, the object of the meditations and the goals that are pursued are rather different.

I perceive all attempt at equalizing all religion with one another as being some kind of wishy washy way of saying "can't we all just get along now". At the same time, I see that you have experience and so I defer. But I have some doubts.
>>
>>70798773
I can see why
I've never really seen Christians meditate as of yet so I never really got an opportunity to ask them why they do it
As for Muslims, they consider Buddhism to be deplorable mostly
>>
>>70798670
That's just reaching. It's an attempt by an inferior doctrine (Christianity) to identify itself with a superior one (Buddhism).

Salvation through grace or even the notion of redemption is no where to be found in Buddhism and I fail to see how the idea of transcending the self can somehow be reconciled with the notion of a soul to be reborn on the day of judgement so that its ultimate fate may be revealed.

See >>70798538
>>
File: 5240451328_2a03971bc6_o.jpg (1 MB, 2592x3872) Image search: [Google]
5240451328_2a03971bc6_o.jpg
1 MB, 2592x3872
>>70793644
/pol/ has a knee jerk negative reaction to Buddhist for two related reasons: in western countries most Buddhists are liberals and secondly most of them are cringy try hards. These two aspects of western Buddhists tend to trigger /pol/ posters.
>>
I love Buddhism, it is beneficial to one's self and one's environment, and is a powerful force for recognizing the true nature of reality. My experience at retreat centers showed me the wholesomeness of a conservative and traditional environment, and changed me from a leftish nihilist into a more spiritual person and real politic proponent. Strong practice can help you live life more fully, and to live in a way that can better the world around you.

I totally recommend the practice of meditation and giving schools of teaching like Buddhism a shot.
>>
>>70792099
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_at_War

Read this book before you keep talking.
>>
File: happyrathu.jpg (138 KB, 634x906) Image search: [Google]
happyrathu.jpg
138 KB, 634x906
>>70798773
Shit nigga let's look at this passage from >>70797690 (which is one of my favorite). It's pretty long:

>But here Mara the malign, the god of craving and of death, intervenes; he enters into one of the celestial beings in Brahma's retinue and from here speaks to the Buddha:

>O monk, beware of him. He is Brahma, the omniporent, the invincible, the all-seeing, the sovereign, the lord, the creator, the preserver, the father of all that has been and of all that will be. Long before you there were in the world ascetics and priests who were enemies of the elements, of nature, of the gods, of the lord of generation, of Brahma; these, at the dissolution of the body, when their vital strength was exhausted, came to abject forms of existence. And therefore I counsel you, O ascetic: beware, O worthy one! What Brahma has said to you, accept it, lest you contradict the word of Brahma. Should you, O ascetic, contradict the word of Brahma, it would be as though a man were to approach a rock and beat on it with a stick, or as though a man, O ascetic, were to fall into an infernal abyss and to seek to grasp the earth with his hands and feet: thus, O monk, would it befall you.
>>
File: class.jpg (96 KB, 850x566) Image search: [Google]
class.jpg
96 KB, 850x566
>>70799954 was meant for >>70798670
(cont)

>And Brahma joins with Mara the malign, repeating:

>I, O worthy one, hold as eternal that which is truly eternal, as persistent, as perennial, as indissoluble, as immutable that which is truly so; and where there is no birth and decay, nor death, nor passing away and reappearance, of this I say: here truly there is no birth, nor decay and death, nor passing away and reappearance; and since there is no other, higher liberation, therefore I say: there is no other, higher liberation. Therefore, O monk, speak if you will: you will certainly not discover another, higher liberation, try as you will. If you take the earth, if you take the elements as your standpoint, then you have taken me as your standpoint, you have taken me as your basis, you must obey me, you must yield to me; if you take, O monk, nature, the gods, the lord of generation as your standpoint, then you have taken me as your stand-point, you have taken me as your basis, you must obey me, you must yield to me; if you take, O monk, Brahma as your standpoint, then you have taken me as your standpoint, you have taken me as your basis, you must obey me, you must yield to me.
>>
File: wirathu.jpg (42 KB, 720x481) Image search: [Google]
wirathu.jpg
42 KB, 720x481
>>70798670
>At this point the antitheses build up to a cosmic and titanic grandeur ending with the most paradoxical reversal of the point of view that is prevalent in Western religions. In fact, while the desire of surpassing the very Lord of creation, from this point of view, appears as something diabolical, the Buddha, instead, finds a diabolical plot in the exact opposite, that is in the attempt to stop him in the region of being, to make this region an insuperable limit, beyond which it is both absurd and mad to seek a higher liberation, Here it is the Malign One in person who urges the belief that the personal God, the God of being, is the supreme reality, and who threatens the Bud-dim with the damnation that is supposed already to have claimed other ascetics. And in another text his temptation consists of inducing the Buddha to confine himself to the path of good works, rites and sacrifices-to the path of theistic religions. But the Buddha discovers the plot, and speaks thus to Mara: "Well I know you, Malign One, abandon your hope: 'He knows me not'; you are Mara, the Malign. Arid this Brahma here, O Malign One, these gods of Brahma: they are all in your hand, they are all in your power. You, O Malign One, certainly think: 'He also must he in my hand, in my power!' I, however, O Malign One, am not in your hand, I am not in your power."
>>
File: judgemental_wirathu.jpg (96 KB, 400x376) Image search: [Google]
judgemental_wirathu.jpg
96 KB, 400x376
>>70798670
>There follows a symbolical test. The personal God, the Hebraic "I am that I am," the God of being, whose essence is his existence, as such, cannot not be, that is, he is bound to being, he is passive with respect to being. He has not the power to go beyond being. It is here that the test occurs. Who can "disappear'? That is, who is lord both of being and of nonbeing? Who rests neither on the one nor on the other? Brahma cannot disappear. Instead, the Buddha disappears. All the world of Brahma is amazed and recognizes "the high power, the high might of the ascetic Gotama." Limitation is removed. The dignity of the atideva, of one who goes beyond the world of existence itself, not to mention the "celestial" worlds, is demonstrated.
>>
>>70799383
I've met plenty of more conservative Buddhists, especially in the Theravada traditions, Zen is a tossup, and while Vajrayana teachers are often very conservative in nature, their students are amongst the looniest liberals you'll meet.

Buddhism as a philosophy tends to attract many softies, but make no mistake. Serious practice is not meant for the faint of heart. The intensity comes from the strength needed to break ourselves out of our deluded ways of experience the world. Those experiences create people of great compassion, but not the type of people who are motivated by emotions like many leftists.
>>
Great philosophy, but as all religions the ritual and ceremony completely contradicts the good stuff. The way I see Asian practitioners is like any religious person, nothing special because Buddhism is similar to Christianity and I've noticed it helps Asians integrate and/or not need to integrate.

The western adherers of the philosophy piss me off, you could have found much the muchness in some more esoteric Christian theology as well as some taste of fire and brimstone to keep it fun. Instead, many westerners into Buddhism are just there for the antichristian rhetoric and babbys first theology.

In general, you'd rather just keep a wide range of knowledge, you shouldn't limit yourself to one.
>>
>>70800692
The key is finding a good teacher, and a good community. You have to find someone who you can get along with, and someone who has done serious practice. Then you have to make sure the community around you takes their practice seriously. Without both, your own practice will suffer, with both it can grow well.

Christian theology is cool, but the community in the US has lost touch with its esoteric practices. The difference between trying that stuff on your own and with a group is like night and day. On your own it is very difficult to progress and you will have to sacrifice much of your free time. With others, you will continually be surprised about how much you will learn and grow.

I agree though, you should keep a wide range of knowledge, one needs many sources to gain wisdom.
>>
>>70799954
>pay attention or go to hell
>>70800020
Obey your God
>>70800066
nice tripdubs. not sure they lend credence to your argument but checked nonetheless. It says Buddha wants to make you greater than Jesus, which is heresy in christianity.

>>70800104
Buddha wins by not playing the game.

rather like sacrificing the possibility of making up for your sins through good works by taking on everyone's sins, don't you think?
>>
>>70801061
About teachers, all teachers are losing time and need reimbursement for that. Not all of us can pay for a teacher.

Sometimes you need those 40 days in the desert to really grasp what you know.

>>70801167
Sounds Taoist anon.

Jesus's sacrifice is something difficult to the explain at all levels.
>>
>>70800692
Every religion has its own set of vulgar perversion. It's like putting water in various vessel. It's the same liquid but some vessel are filthy and other are clean. The water ends up not looking or tasting the same depending on where it's poured.

When we consider the quality of a religion or a doctrine, we have to consider the particular way it may be adopted by certain people. I prefer the vulgar form of buddhism to the vulgar form of Christianity and, again, these two system don't seem to teach the same thing.

As for Islam, it's vulgarity incarnate.
>>
File: StAnthony.jpg (76 KB, 185x366) Image search: [Google]
StAnthony.jpg
76 KB, 185x366
>>70792099
Meditation works, and I truly believe that every major religion will be using it within the next few centuries, that is if the Mohammedans don't kill us all first. It's just too good of an idea to not use, and it's backed up by science as beneficial.

That said, I'm a Westerner, and I will choose a Western religion like Christianity or Roman paganism. Buddhism is a fine religion if you're Oriental.

>inb4 butt hurt Thor-cucks.
How's your human sacrifice working out for you?
>>
>>70798040
Hi Leafbro, I'm not a buddhist scholar by any means, my interpretation of it is mine and I think Buddhism is a very subjective technique to handle your own experience in this matrix.

Your pdf was a little "tl; dr" for me at this moment, I'm afraid I don't have the time to read it through at this moment.
Check out this website and see if you see what differs, I learned from S. N. Goenka, from a tradition dating back to the time of Buddha Gaotama, I believe it is very condensed and unwatered, it also speaks a language I like, very simple and very straight forward.
http://www.dhamma.org/en/about/vipassana

Hope you find what you need.

Don't attach to fickle things, it's all an illusion.
>>
>>70801167
>pay attention or go to hell

But this is a sort of demon tempting the Buddha with the idea of an ultimate being.

>Obey your God

Same as above. The God himself is deluded about the fact that he is an ultimate being and he dares the Buddha to submit to him, to participate in the delusion.

>nice tripdubs. not sure they lend credence to your argument but checked nonetheless. It says Buddha wants to make you greater than Jesus, which is heresy in christianity.

This is actually Evola speaking here, commenting on the text. It's his interpretation, with which I mostly agree, in which he shows that the ultimate being is not actually ultimate. He is still conditioned by the category of "being" beyond which he cannot go.

God, in Abrahamic theology, is the necessarily existing.

>rather like sacrificing the possibility of making up for your sins through good works by taking on everyone's sins, don't you think?

In Christianity, you make up for your sin in the eyes of God, in the eyes of the ultimate being who judges you, to whom you submit because you recognize him as ultimate. This does not fit with the example I've given.
>>
>>70801309
Looking in the Buddhist tradition, there are plenty of teachers who you can get close to without spending a dime. As long as you're diligent in your practice and show an aptitude for it, you will find someone who with assist you.

40 days in the desert sounds nice. In the Theravada tradition I've tried, they offer courses from 10 days, to 45 days which they do not charge for. In Vajrayana, there is a traditional retreat that lasts three years and three months, but in the west that costs quite a bit.
>>
>>70792099

generally they're chill people and i like some of the beliefs

i'm not really into religions but if i had to pick one it would be between buddhism and taoism
>>
>>70792099
I'm a strong independent Indyin, I don't need no toilet. Can I interest you in telstra's new plan.
>>
>>70801660

>the ultimate being who judges you

Which is apparently not God according to you. So who is this ultimate being and why is he capable of un-being but Jesus isn't?

Full disclosure here, I'm with the guys who think Jesus' unexplained 20 year disappearance involves him traveling to India, getting the Buddhist redpill and coming back to spread the word
>>
>>70802296
I didn't posit that there is such a being judging us. I was merely describing Abrahamic religions.

What I did posit, however, is that if there is a being that corresponds to the Abrahamic God, then the passage I've cited expresses the fact that this "being" cannot be "ultimate" in so far as is existence is still conditioned by the categories of being a non-being.

This is what the story is about. God dares the Buddha to submit by presenting himself as ultimate. The Buddha then recognizes that existence itself is a form "mania" induced by wrong vision, that it's an attachment of the ego or the mind or what have you that creates suffering. The Buddha then goes beyond these categories, demonstrating that the "ultimate" being cannot be ultimate almost by definition.

So it's no even that Buddhism denies the possibility of a God. It's that this God himself will be part of a plane of existence which is still inferior to what Buddhism tries to achieve. I'll grant you that it gets abstract but it's my understanding none the less.

>Full disclosure here, I'm with the guys who think Jesus' unexplained 20 year disappearance involves him traveling to India, getting the Buddhist redpill and coming back to spread the word

Never heard about that except maybe very obliquely. Levy-Strauss?
>>
>>70801313
You can taste everything, sometimes some things don't make sense until later. For instance, what do you think the Cathars were thinking? If you really care about the Buddhist/Christian middle point...

>>70801516
Christianity began as a following in Greece and Turkey which was Greek back then. It spread quickly to Italy because Italians copied a lot of Greek culture back then.

Just the stories and the absolute first communities are in the Levant. The remnants of them are Egyptian Christians.

Meditation is great. Try to incorporate it into your every day life, do the strangest things to you.

>>70801910
I plan to get a teacher in that tradition, but incorporate it elsewhere its hard to explain. Currently neet but applying for jobs.

40 days was just a metaphor, just saying the loneliness can help. You end up going over and over your current beliefs, they evolve.

>>70801660
Seems almost like a Nietzsche story. Funny how things parallel, how different they look each way.

I agree with the anon, the passage is about shit up and take it. It seems most along the lines of the Buddhist life is suffering motif and if it does have anything to do with the struggle to the ideal being it's such that the survival part of selection and struggle boosts that need or requirement to survive.

When you modify people's struggle, either greater or lesser, you are an enemy of God or "Brahma" if you're Indian.
>>
its got just as much blood on its hands as any other religion (that isn't islam) people just don't know it because they're too busy bashing Christianity and the west.
>>
>>70803596
Cool, good luck finding a good one. Fortunately there are many to be found in the West right now.

Yes, solitude can be helpful. Though instead of looking at it as going over your ideas, look at it as peering through your thoughts. Not getting so caught up in the subject matter and instead being aware of the many layers of qualities that make up your experience. It's in that change of cognition that makes up strong mystical experiences and attainments.
>>
>>70792099
Fun religion.
The point is to become super lazy and getting rid of all desires.
>>
>>70792354
jainism is also a darma religion like hinduism and buddhism though
>>
>>70792099
I heard they like to fuck little boys, just like any other religion.

dropped it, atheism all the way.
>>
Who here would say they are enlightened? I'm certainly not but usually on any given thread to do with Eastern Philosophy you get a few people saying they have achieved enlightenment, gotten Stream Entry etc. Just curious how common it really is
>>
>>70801516
>Meditation works

Not all types. TM is fucking garbage. Vipassana, the technique likely used by the buddha, is the only meditation worth practising.
>>
>>70808193
does it work if you intensly focus on your boner?
>>
>>70808278
yes but it's hard since maintaining a boner requires the continuous conjure of lustful thoughts and images in your mind. Morning boner is different though.
>>
It is not so much of a religion as it is a philosophy/moral code/way of life etc.
>>
>>70808411
serious question now.. is it best to count seconds for breath intake, holding and exhale. or just focus on sensations
>>
>>70808421
This is false.

The Sangha (monastic community) is one of the three jewels of refuge. The buddha gave rules (which covers a chunk in the pali canon) not just for monks but for lay people as well. It's a religion by any definition.
>>
hey /pol/. buddhism or taoism?
>>
>>70808533
For some people it works (or so they say it does), but to me counting is just an unnecessary distraction. Focus on the breath first, then perceive the body sensations (returning to the attention of breath once your mind wanders away).

It's the most simple, yet difficult to cultivate form of meditation.
>>
>>70808656
Daoism is a totally different religious/philosophical movement.
>But Daoism is better in the philosophical sense, trust me
>>
>>70807811
I'm definitely not enlightened, but I've gotten close to stream entry on retreat. I panicked though, and I stopped meditating seriously. There was this sense of impending doom, and my meditations on my last retreat were accompanied with intense experiences. A breakdown of my sense of self was occurring, and there just wasn't the strength there to proceed.

From what I understand though, stream entry is not all that uncommon, if you attend serious meditation retreats and speak with longtime students, you are bound to bump into people who have experienced it. As far as people who are enlightened, or have one foot on the other side, you could say, they're a little more rare. I've encountered a few people like that, and they're pretty extraordinary in very plain ways. It's like they're more alive than everyone else around them, while being detached, and equanimous towards whatever happens.
>>
What the fuck is happening starting at 39:00? Because I fucking love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P8fNQ0fqSI
>>
>>70808656
They're both great. Taoism has some overlap with Zen in terms of philosophy, and some overlap with Vajarayana in terms of yogic practices.
>>
>>70808842
how so?
>>
>>70792099
Hippie hogwash. It has a place in the East, but not in Christian nations. People who try to bring their philosophy over here are wasting their time. Our way of thinking and our social norms are based around Christian values, and no other religion can replace it.
>>
>>70792099
I prefer the more philosophical pantheistic side of Hinduism over Buddhism tbqhfam
>>
>>70792099
Fine by me. They leave us alone, don't like power like kike's and if we wanted, we could wipe them out with basically no resistance. They are fine and well informed of the mind, after the cleansing, we should let a few of them live, they could help us learn.
>>
>>70796077
That sounds rad af, honestly.
>>
>>70796370
This, all meme's and bullshit aside, Buddhism is based.
>>
>>70792099
Having read parts of the major Nikayas of the pali canon, the mahayana sutras, and several anthologies by learned monks, Buddhism is quite unique compared to other major religions, even from it's cousin religion Hinduism. It denies the existence of a permanent soul, it denies the existence of a personal creator god(s) (though it acknowledges regular gods and godmen), it denies the idea of sin, it denies the idea of other wordly reward and punishment (although rebirth from good/bad karma is a sort of reward/punishment), it emphasise the idea of emptiness, etc. It's quite hard to believe this order ever survived into the common era.

It isn't the new age religion that westerners love to associate with it. It's rigid and structured just as much as any religion. Neither is it scientific as well. There are a lot of spooky claims that don't stand up to scientific scrutiny, like the levels of hell (naraka), the 31 planes of existence, the aggregation of karma (rebirth), the belief in an axis mundi, etc. It also has strict rules for followers to heed.

So yea it's just as much of a religion as any, it's just unique flavour of the same bullshit.
>>
>>70792099
>antta
>nirishvaravada
>anicca
No.

Tathagathagarbha Sutra-based Buddhism is the best of them.

Taoism is ok
Tathagathagarbha Buddhism is ok
Hinduism is ok
Christianity best out of those though desu
>>
I'm a Jodou Shinshu Buddhist due to family.
>>
>>70808193
Vipassana is focusing on your breathing and bodily sensations while being introspective of your mindfulness, while TM is repeating a mantra over and over again, right?
>>
>>70810675
Are you Japanese or did they convert?
>>
>>70810711
Japanese.
>>
>>70810775
Cool. Is it still big among Japanese Americans or have they usually succumbed to infidel ways or become Christians?
>>
who is /Sufi/ here?

>inb4 mudslime
i have persian, german, italian blood and am descendant of both a president and one of the first governors ever in this country
>>
>>70810834
Most Japanese Americans here in Hawaii are Buddhist/Shinto but generally are secular. Koreans and Filipinos are giant Christfags though.
>>
>>70809715
sorry m8, hinduism is cuck tier eastern philosophy from what i've been reading upon.
>>
>>70810920
>Sufi
Should just be Shia tbqhwy falamadingdong

>>70810961
>secular
Aw.
>>
>>70792099
Their monks are bigger pedos than Catholics I hear.
>>
>>70810920
Sufis are definitely the best of the snackbars. Alawites are pretty cool too.
>>
>>70796198
sorry my friend.
Christians cannot be anything other than Christians. Too much muh true God thing you have.
>>
>>70798318
>It never explained how enlightenment is to be achieved
I don't know what are you basing your theory on.. but it's not factual.
Gita was told centuries before Buddhism came and Yoga and meditation are described in it.
>>
>>70810697
Yes. Vipassana combines focus of breath with contemplation of impermanence (in this case bodily changes). It could very well just be the latter, since focusing the breath is also contemplating change of moment to moment phenomena.

TM is about repeating a mantra and focusing on the repetition of the mantra (instead of the breath). It's the same as mantra meditation (which is ineffective and often bullshit) but you have to be given a special mantra unique to yourself which can only be given by paying a teacher $1000 bucks (he'll also 'guide' you through it). These mantras are just modified mantras of hindu deities that don't make sense to a non-sanskrit speaking individual. It's bogus and gives other non bullshit meditation techniques a bad rep. Vipassana on the other hand can be done alone, anywhere and anytime without >paying money.
>>
>>70792099
Devotees of all the various religions are sitting in their houses praying. Suddenly a window breaks.
What do they do?

A Christian fixes the window (good works)
A Jew hires someone to fix the window
A Muslim breaks his neighbor's window to even things up.
A Buddhist does nothing, and learns to live with a breeze blowing through his house.

Buddhism is all about accepting where you are in life rather than doing anything to change it. If you are poor, accept poverty. If you are miserable, accept misery. It's probably why Buddhist society has been very stagnant and inert for hundreds of years.

Also you should understand that the Buddhists are not the holier-than-though godly people they present themselves as. But rather quite the opposite. This video does a good job explaining how the priestly class uses their religious authority to maintain a vicelike grip over the society. Including a large scale institutionalized raping operation that supplies the monasteries with young boys to abuse

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBH0ywUUx5k
>>
>>70792099
focuses too much on the dissolution of self, great for overcoming the first phases of depression or breaking down a troubled mind, but I find it to be lacking in terms of guiding reconstruction. Hinduism, Christianity, along with selected philosophical readings of the likes of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Marcus Aurelius, and others works well for that. They cover the societal structures that help to give you a good framework.
>>
RARE FLAG
A
R
E
>>70792099
>>
>>70811887
>A Christian fixes the window (good works)
A Christian is most probably going to blame a heathen for it and burn him/her on stake.
>>
>>70811403
>Gita was told centuries before Buddhism came and Yoga and meditation are described in it.

I don't think it is.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Bhagavad_Gita#Dating_of_the_Bhagavad_Gita
>As with almost every major religious text in India no firm date can be assigned to the Gita. It seems certain, however, that it was written later than the 'classical' Upanishads with the possible exception of the Maitr_ and that it is post-Buddhistic
>The interpolation theory is supported by Robert N. Minor, who writes that "The Bhagavadgita was written about 150 B.C.E. by a devotee of another Indian deity, Krishna, whose popularity would spread throughout India. It was meant to be included in the Mahabharata by a Krishna bhakta, in order to show that devotion to Krishna was the key to an understanding of the Vedic religion"
>>
>>70811887
>A Christian fixes the window (good works)

But proddies don't believe in good works
>>
>>70812080
Maybe a Catholic would

But Protestants believe they should labor with their hands in order to see God's will done on Earth.

The Christian view is that humans have been given dominion over the Earth and all the animals, and that it's our responsibility to organize things and manage them, the same way God managed Eden.
>>
>>70812099
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita#Date_of_composition

WTF is new world encyclopedia?
>>
>>70792354

Nanking My Senpai Up Senpai
>>
>>70812080
>Christians
>burning people as part of their christian belief system within the past few hundred years

I wish I lived in alternate timeline where you live. Most of ours are cucks who'd be busy kissing the Muslims feet at the time or taking down the crosses at the behest of their lesbian archbishop or something of that sort. To say nothing of the fact that they've entirely forgone the divine and transcendent for the material and the cookie they get for being good in life. It's actually rather sad.
>>
>>70812331
>Nanking
stop this proxy, faggot.

Nankin wasn't religiously motivated. It's like blaming atheism for Stalin and Mao.
>>
>>70812255
>Scholars accept dates from the fifth century to the second century BCE as the probable range. Professor Jeaneane Fowler, in her commentary on the Gita, considers second century BCE to be the likely date of composition

just proving my point, buddhism started in the 6th century. Also;
>>
>>70812490
>second century BCE to be the likely date of composition
based on what?
>mfw, the dates are mentioned in the texts themselves.
>>
>>70792099
>Escape material desires to find happiness
>Need to overcome starvation is a material desire
>Need for sewerage system/toilets is a material desire
>Need for hospitals/schools is a material desire.
Buddism is escapism. People become trapped in poverty eternally because they refuse to desire the material things they need to escape it.
>>
>>70812738
>not reading Bhaghavad Gita
Buddhists have always been brainwashed plebs
>>
>>70812587
>based on what?

https://books.google.com.au/books?redir_esc=y&id=zU4E5ZidVr0C&q=century+bce#v=snippet&q=xxiv&f=false

also
>intertextual self-reporting

if that were true then it would be older than the composition of the vedas, which doesn't make sense. Even hindu scholars agree that it is no less than the fifth century.
>>
>>70813039
Vaishnava Hindus believe that Krishna came to trick atheists into worshipping him as Buddha.

I find that kinda awesome. Not as awesome as the story of Narasingha though.
>>
>>70810920
In what ways to you feel Sufism practices parallel Buddhist practices? I've heard that at the core they are actually similar
>>
>>70814434
In all my years of reading religious scriptures and dealing with mysticism, I came to the conclusion that they all try to get to the same Source.

When you strip away cultural aspects, different languages, national heroes, prophets, and so on, you get to some very, very similar ideas.

To the point where it confronts your lack of belief and you have to admit you were wrong.
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.