[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do atheists base their morality on? If existence is nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8
File: consider-the-following.jpg (24 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
24 KB, 600x451
What do atheists base their morality on? If existence is nothing more than atoms and the void why does anything matter? If there is no supreme moral authority what is the objective reason why something is good rather than evil? If nothing truly matters and morality is subjective why is child rape objectively evil?

Note: I am not saying Atheists cannot be moral but rather I am genuinely curious as to the objective logical reasons for doing so.
>>
atheism is amoral
believing in good or evil is just as silly as believing in a god or a devil
>>
>>70426989
So why is genocide wrong?
>>
>>70427030
it's not
>>
Atheists don't need a magical sky daddy to tell them what is right and wrong.
>>
>>70426778
As an atheist, I would say that there is no objective morality but that we prescribe a morality based on what we believe is likely to be most conducive to the formation of a world in which we would like to live. If, as has been the case through much of History, this turns out to be a system of morality informed by Christian doctrine (albeit substantially Modified by Enlightenment philosophy for the purpose), then so much the better - we have not too far to go to get there.
>>
Who needs morality?

Sand niggers stone their wives to death for looking at another man, why? because God.

Christian crusades killed millions of Muzzo scum. Why? Eternal salvation in the afterlife.

Pretty much every single questionable activity can be traced back to "god told me to do it" in some religious text or another.

However, if you are genuinely interested, look up social sciences, how people react in groups, etc. Then you'll understand "morality" is something that helped us to work together and evolve this far.

Let's not stop now, eh?
>>
>>70427563
So why is genocide evil if evil doesn't exist? The logical conclusion of atheism is dreadful.
>>
>>70426778
>What do atheists base their morality on?
Convenience.
>>
>>70427756
just like everyone else
>>
>>70427826
False. I wouldn't say those who choose to abstain from sex before marriage do so out of convenience
>>
>>70427919
Efficiency is a form of convenience.
>>
>>70428003
Would you really claim that in our modern sex drenched world that making that choice is really convenient?
>>
>>70427687
Shakespeare said it best.

"Why, then, 'tis none to you, for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." - Hamlet.

Fact is we know as humans that there have not been 10 commandments handed out from heaven and were suddenly blessed with morals.

Genocide is not evil, but it is wrong. Evil and Good is the biblical construct. Right and wrong are the social evolution. That's why normal people (i.e. not Psycho's) recoil from death and murder. In-built safety feature.
>>
>>70426778

Better yet, if you're atheist, how can human rights exist? There's nothing in nature that says women have a right own property or vote. Natural laws are inviolable but human rights are easily destroyed so therefore they cannot exist as a function of nature.

Note: Do not confound this with civic rights which are not "human rights" in the modern sense.
>>
>>70428387
So if the universe itself will one day perish why is genocide wrong?
>>
Believing in gods does nothing to solve the problem of what's moral and what's not. You're still left with deciding whether what the gods want us to do is moral or not. The problem is much deeper than that.
>>
>>70428516
How do you know the universe will perish? That point aside, YOU will one dad die, right?

So why live now?

It's the same question really. An end will come therefore the journey could be made shorter.

But the answer, when you consider it, is that the journey is the only part we get to be aware of.

So why wipe out a rival race for the benefit of your own life.

I think it's sadder that the Dodo was wiped out by Sailors. I think it's sadder that the Galapagos tortoise is now extinct because they could survive for a year without food meaning they were kept on a ship so be eaten at tough times. Xenoide happened.

It should not have, but did. Ergo, wrong.
>>
I become a atheist because so ist was easier for me to escape from the Jehova Witness.
And i live my Life on simple german saying:
Was man nicht will , das man dir tu , füge keinen anderen hinzu.
>>
>>70426778
how many people did religion kill again
>>
File: 19tmw45.jpg (64 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
19tmw45.jpg
64 KB, 600x900
Wolfes are predators and eat meat.
Wolfes does not eat eachother.
Does this mean wolfes follow a moral standard created by wolf-god?

Humans have inherent "morals" the same way basically any species on this planet have. It's not morals, it's just instinct. Our brains are hardwired to understand that throwing babies off cliffs is not a good thing to do.

With modern society grows up and we become more intelligent, we created laws that build upon these basic instincts to have a society where people doesn't act like dicks.
Then just adapt and improve as timesgoes by and things change.

I'd rather live in a manmade moral democracy that a supernatural moral dictatorship.
>>
>>70426778
More like religion are for psychopaths who have no inherent understanding of civilized moral values. They need to be told idiotic fantasies based on spirituality and guided by fear.
>>
>>70428516
Human survival instinct. That's pretty much what all "morality" is based upon. Human behaviour generally gravitates towards whatever preserves the human race. Of course it's clear that we struggle with considering long-term benefits, but rarely in terms of short-term or long-term does genocide actively benefit us as a species.

We may have a higher intellect than all other animals on earth but much of our thought processes are essentially rooted in the same basic instincts.
>>
>>70429599
I think you're too dumb to understand the question

you can follow "civilized moral values", but you have no reason to other than your own volition.

You could just as easily go around raping everybody, and if its of your own volition, it has the same exact justification.
>>
>>70426778
probably because it is a necessary invention to keep society alive
social norms were invented to prevent people from being like apes
i bet even moses didnt get the 10 rules from god but it was just basic shit to keep society alive
>>
>>70426778
Mirror neurons. /thread
>>
Morality is a natural emergence from mutual-egoism.

Some use God to further their morals and others use a different basis.

There is always the old conundrum: are morals good because God ordains them, or does God ordain them because they are good?

Eitherway, morality is not entirely objective or entirely subjective -- unless you want to end up with a tautology.

>Fact is we know as humans that there have not been 10 commandments handed out from heaven and were suddenly blessed with morals.

This is hilarious.
>>
What do religious people based their morality on? Just because you believe there is a God, it doesn't mean you follow God's morality.
>>
compassion ya dinguses
>>
>>70429720
>I think you're too dumb to understand the question
That's because you are a moron. If you really need to ask the question in the OP seriously then you need religion to keep you in line and people better than you safe.
>>
>>70427228
/thread
>>
>>70426778
There is no evidence connecting religion to morality.
>>
>>70426778

Morality while not absolute is universal.

It is largely informed by experience and empathy.

Simplest way to look at it is in terms of your own lived experiences. Most people have suffered physical pain or emotional suffering. Morality is essentially not inflicting these sufferings on others.
>>
>>70429475
Spartans threw babies off cliffs, were they not human, or simply lacking that particular "instinct"? Laws and morals are influenced by society, which is influenced by religion. "Intelligence" has little to do with it because people will ALWAYS always always believe what they want to believe. Religion just makes it easier to change what they want to believe.
>>
>>70429720
No I'm gonna jump in here Mr Turn-the-other-cheek.

1. What gives you the right to make an assumption about the intelligence of your fellow man? (remember, jesus want's you to love him)

2. Why do you mention rape?
3. Do you struggle to not rape >everybody?
4.a Are you operating outside of your own volition?
4.b. Who controls you when God gave you free will?
>>
>>70426778
>treat others as you would yourself
The only good thing to come out of the bible.
>>
Morality is a spook.
>>
>>70426778
It's usually a harm based morality, which is why so many of them fall prey to vice. Peter Hitchens has explained it very well in the past.
>>
>>70426778
Utilitarianism
Cause the least amount of suffering
>>
>>70430303
Show me the link where Spartan's threw babies off cliffs. I'll wait.

Oh and whilst you are at it, make sure they are healthy babies that were going to contribute to society.
>>
>>70426778
We're not complete animals.

"Do onto others as you would have others do onto you."

It's not very hard.
>>
>>70430328
>What gives you the right to make an assumption about the intelligence of your fellow man? (remember, jesus want's you to love him)
I'm sure Jesus would be proud of anon for loving you even though you're so dumb :)
>>
File: morals.png (336 KB, 614x720) Image search: [Google]
morals.png
336 KB, 614x720
>>70426778
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 657x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 657x540
>>70430400
>slave morality is good
>>
File: 1435412498345.jpg (36 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1435412498345.jpg
36 KB, 600x400
>>70430489
"I love the idea of getting violently hurt... so I'll do that to others!"

The "Golden Rule" isn't without its flaws...
>>
>>70430445
But what do you BASE it on, dipshit? Why is pleasure better than pain?
>>
>>70430489
Doesn't take into account the morality of hermits and/or Masochists.

>>70430445
>Utilitarianism
>Cause the least amount of suffering
I was right then >>70430410

The problem with that is when, by following your own rules, you cause harm which you can't detect.
>>
atheism is for legit fucking neckbeards and faggots

who cares what they think
>>
File: 1437595875319.gif (2 MB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
1437595875319.gif
2 MB, 230x250
>>70430663
So what cult are you a member of?
>>
>>70430613
>why is pleasure better than pain

.... The definition of the words...
>>
>>70426778

In the West, modern morals are based on Roman Slave Morals.
>>
>>70430636
>The problem with that is when, by following your own rules, you cause harm which you can't detect.

So? No moral system currently is perfect. I bet you're breaking several laws of your religion right now.
>>
>>70430781
So why would it be better to, say, kill all whites if it would mean less suffering for non-whites?
>>
>>70427030
Less taxpayers and workers
>>
>>70426778
It's extremely chilling to realize that there are people like OP who only try to hold moral standards because they're worried a sky wizard would punish them if they didn't. If I could disprove the existence of your sky wizard and release you from his chains, would you immediately go on rampage raping children and murdering the homeless?
>>
>>70426778
Personal preferences and popular opinion. That's literally it.
>>
>>70428850
RARE
>>
>>70426778
>needing something to base your morals on
You religious people are subhuman if you have no innate morality that requires no religious guidance truely you people are wild animals its no wonder your societies are so degenerate without religion to keep you monkeys in check.
>>
File: sensible fadora.jpg (50 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
sensible fadora.jpg
50 KB, 479x720
>>70426778

Atheist: logically concludes that abiding by a moral code akin to the golden rule is in everyone's self interest, avoids abuses of this by working from first principals.

Religious person: blindly does whatever they're told their God wants them to do, can include anything from mutilating their own children to genocide.
>>
Morality can be derived from realist thought and explains the emergence of near-similar moral structures in unconnected areas throughout he world (not to say that each society reached identical conclusions, but rather that the reasons underpinning those moral conclusions were similar)

An analogy:

What do you suppose would happen if we had no laws regarding which side of a divided highway one should drive upon? Is it hard to imagine that people in the same area, frequenting the same roads, would adopt a convention that lowers the risk of harm by choosing to drive on one side while going one way and another side while going the other?

Morality emerges similarly and becomes a question of maximizing public welfare, the systems each culture uses to value some choice over another deviate, but underlying these moral structures are common forms of reasoning.

God's make a convincing rhetorical tool in order to smooth over gray areas in moral arguments where what to value is less clear.
>>
>>70430859
No, In my own morals there's a pact against harming others to relieve suffering unless those people are harming others themselves
>>
>>70426778
Morals are a social construct. This does not mean they aren't real. Language is also a social construct - there's no objective sense in which "table" ought to refer anything in particular, or anything at all.

Morals, like languages, allow humans to operate as social creatures. They do nto need to be objectively true to fulfil that function.
>>
We believe in our ancestors, who were Christian.
>>
>>70429190
Sounds legit
>>
>Religionshits believe atheists are selfish because their morality is based on personal gain
>literally say that when their whole religion is based on personal gain and going to heaven
>>
>>70426778
>WTF! YOU DON'T GET YOUR MORALITY FROM THE MAGIC MAN?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME
morality is objective

Generally people learn that you don't do unto others what you don't want done to yourself
>>
>>70427563
>Christian crusades killed millions of Muzzo scum. Why? Eternal salvation in the afterlife.
>anglos actually believe this
>>
>>70429152
>The Galapagos tortoise is now extinct

Hahahahahaha holy kek are you serious? There's entire nature reserves full of groups of them
>>
>>70426778
>If nothing truly matters
Usually the first step is realizing that nihilism is silly and finding some answer to it.
>>
>>70430854
>So? No moral system currently is perfect.
That doesn't mean we can't work towards recognising where we're personally flawed.

>>70431170
Does that include harming others by eating the only food left and forcing the others to starve?
>>
we base our moral on memes and kek

/thread
>>
>>70429918
yes it does faggot. I follow Gods morality. Thus I believe slavery should be legalized, whilst homosexuality outlawed.
>>
>>70426778
Are you saying you need someone in the sky to tell you what is bad and what is good?

Like if some man long ago never wrote that silly book you would be killing, raping, etc, and thinking "NO CONSEQUENCES WOO!"

you people are retarded
>>
>summarize ethics please
no

fuck you, go read a book

if another fucking christcuck trots out this retarded argument i swear down im gonna lose it
>>
>>70426778
On the fact that things can be good ideas without their existence being contingent on silly bullshit
>>
>>70426778
If existence is nothing more than atoms and the void why does anything matter?
Because existence itself is not nothing and I'm not a nihilist.

If there is no supreme moral authority what is the objective reason why something is good rather than evil?
If you are referring to an 'absolute morality,' similar to that of an 'absolute truth' (not adulterated by shit), I would say the reason why something is good or bad should be thought out, instead of someone 'or some book' dictating what is.

If nothing truly matters and morality is subjective why is child rape objectively evil?
Firstly, unless your a fuckin nihilist, existing matters because it is not nothing. Secondly, religious 'beliefs' makes morality subjective (for it has an influence). Lastly, chip rape, in both the act and the produced aftermath, is objectively wrong because it is harmful, both mentally and physically.
->For the last bit, you're welcome to go down the rabbit hole of 'why why why why why,' but I am not.
>>
>>70431763
>Like if some man long ago never wrote that silly book you would be killing, raping, etc, and thinking "NO CONSEQUENCES WOO!"
You mean like mudslimes do?
>>
>>70426778
Nothing, that's why their "moral arguments" are based solely on winning the argument rather than themselves being tied to any morality. Its actually fucking disgusting watching atheists quote tiny selections from holy texts that are clearly the only bits of the entire book that they know, for no purpose other than to gain moral high ground. They have no understanding of the morality they argue and it becomes extremely obvious when you hold them to task and try to force anything deeper out of them on really any subject.
>>
furthermore

how do you know what this supreme moral authority wants you to do?

oh right

>muh holy book
>>
>>70427228
>>70430104
What do you two believe right and wrong are?
From where do your moral systems stem from?
>>
>>70426778

biology

social animals create tighter social bonds and can accomplish more when they're not murdering and lying to each other all the time.
>>
>>70426778
Atheists base their morality largely on the society that surrounds them. Personal expediences that take place in their society. Possibly psychedelic experiences.

The interpretation of what matters subjective. However the fact that meaning exists is objective, even if it is man made. The word "fish" holds a symbolic meaning. In fact, all of these words hold meaning, therefore meaning exists.

If god is not the moral authority than society will be the moral authority. Jail cells exists because god isn't very fast acting in his punishments.

Child rape is not evil in all religions such as Islam, therefore you are wrong. Child rape is still a subjective moral. All morals are subjective. They only hold objective meaning in their perspective strong holds.

Europeans and Americans are the same people, but due to being an ocean apart have different morals. Some Europeans think owning guns is morally wrong, or being gluttons is wrong, yet both of these things are cherished in America
>>
>>70427687

genocide isn't evil if evil doesn't exist
>>
>>70426778
Reasonable progression. I'm just a logical positivist. God makes no logical sense.
>>
>>70428508

human rights do not exist in any real sense, might is right. If the ruling party says "these are human rights" they will "exist" simply because they can enforce it, but these rights are not guaranteed if they cannot be enforced.
>>
>>70426778

Imbecile.
>>
>>70430400

literally in every holy book
>>
>>70431944
There is no complete moral system in no religion or belief. Christians and muslims can kill and rape people just like atheists. It all comes to your personal preferences. I just base my moral system on "don't harm anyone and try to live a good life" as an atheist.
>>
>>70427228
Because they are their own sky daddy with say over ultimate universal truths? Yeah, because believing in God is sooooo unintellectual.
>>
File: 1435331515850.jpg (65 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1435331515850.jpg
65 KB, 600x600
>>70431060
>athiests don't blindly do whatever their MSM masters tell them to
>>
>>70426778
Well do you want to be raped? No? Then I guess it's only fair that I don't rape people either. Morals are derived from logic and reasoning from atheists. Morality is based on whether you are a decent human being or not. Most Christians don't even follow their own morals.
>>
>>70427030
Depends on what you value and feel in a ulitarian Way it could be justified depending on what's gained and what was used to do it.

Mainly empathy, being against the death penalty
>>
>>70426778
Morality is not based on abstract moral principles given to us by a creator. It is based on empiricism and rational thought, e.g. we've studied societies where murder was allowed, where there was no private property, where women were treated as property etc. and we've seen the results and made the determination that these things are morally wrong on the basis that they are detrimental to society.
>>
>>70432320
It really isn't though, maybe every Judeo-Christian holy book, but even Islamic texts applied laws like that only to other muslims and clearly stated that non-muslims must be treated as inferior, and almost every ancient religion practiced human sacrifice.
Making a blanket statement like that just shows total ignorance of religious texts and laws throughout history.
>>
>>70430400
The golden rule predates the bible.
>>
>>70426778

When I went through my edgy atheist phase, morality was something that you set by your own standards.
>>
>>70432443

>there are no moral systems in religion
>christians and muslims can kill and rape people

Just because someone refuses to follow the rules, doesn't mean they don't exist.
>>
>>70427228
>le magical sky fairy wizard dank maymay ebin XD

Instead of talking in memes how about you give an actual answer.
>>
>>70433063
>When I went through my edgy atheist phase
Lmao every fedora tier atheist was some bandwagoning cuck with no real opinions like you. Now their suddenly christfags because they think that will help them fit in. Sad!
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.