[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/pol/, are trains actually useful to society or are they shitty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 13
File: technical.jpg (94 KB, 699x393) Image search: [Google]
technical.jpg
94 KB, 699x393
/pol/, are trains actually useful to society or are they shitty liberal ideas?

Redpill me on trains.
>>
>>69122783
>any bad idea must be liberal

/pol/ in a nutshell.
>>
>>69122783
They are useful to countries with big population in little spaces.
The urban sprawl america has makes them kind of useless in the states.
In Europe they work.
>>
What the fuck are you talking about

Trains are quite literally the most fascist form of transportation
>>
>>69124073
>They are useful to countries with big population in little spaces.
Oh, really.
>>
File: 1457625044302.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1457625044302.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
>>69124073
they are a grat method for moving large heavy ibjects across areas with no navagble waterways, most rail traffic in the US is foodstuff and energy.
>>
>>69122783
There's nothing wrong with functional national infrastructure which benefits the economy, but it should be restrained to things that the market may struggle to provide. Given the huge amount of land it requires, a railway system is one of these things.
>>
The big investors say we may be moving more towards trains and farther from semi-trucks
>>
File: bigpic[1].png (13 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
bigpic[1].png
13 KB, 300x200
Useful in high density areas such as european caliphate or japan, useless in vast regions of nothing like parts of amurka or straya.

Also, where the fuck is my mainstream maglev
>>
Trains are extremely redpilled, buses on the other hand are shitty communist propaganda
>>
>>69122783
I fucking love trains, my dream as a kid was to drive a train from one ocean to another going through the Canadian Rockies. I also bought the game Train Simulator where you build your own train tracks. I fucking love trains.
>>
>>69124376
Thank god. I'm getting really sick of being stuck behind 18-wheelers and the like on the two-lane highway to my hometown.
>>
Trains built the country
>>
>>69124441
I think you're confusing trains with metro
>Metro good for cities
>Trains good for countryside
>>
>>69122783
Trains are awesome and one of the few things government can do right.
William Lind, far-right commentator and major military author, is a big rail advocate.
>>
>>69124488

Buses are collectivist and SJW inventions. Hitler rode on a train plus trains are for redpilled people. Libfags and lolbertarians drive cars, cars are kinda shitty and for shills. Jews also drive cars too. Overall trains are the best and muslims hardly ever ride on trains which is a plus
>>
I hope we build more rails. I live in the Spokane area and my only choices for visiting family in Seattle are flying or a 5 hour drive
>>
>>69124376
for every thing west of the greater mississippi basin, probably, trains are faster and carry more goods than trucks so its likely tha trains will do interstate commerce while trucks get relegated to intercity.
>>
trans pretty much useless. act like pussy but when you get down to business no pussy to be found. trans want everyone to change commonly excepted launguage cause they offended by reality of tranself. dont like trans.
>>
last thing the world needs is more idiots on bikes and cars, so no, they are not a shitty idea.
>>
Just another form of wealth redistribution. Every time one of these projects happen in the States, said project always lacks funding and when completed--lack ability to run on its own merit.
>>
>>69124441
Where does this meme come from? Trains are a default method of travel between cities here.
>>
>>69124737

No, I meant high density areas where large cities are relatively close together (<300km or <200 burgers).
>>
Ex mil here. I've been around the world. Trains are only good when there's mass public transit and it's the best option. Cars are more practical when public mass transit isn't an option. I lived in Korea for a year. Trains and cabs. If, as example, I worked off base at the nearest university, I'd need to take a train. After train, either walk 3 miles, or take cab to university. Eventually, all the train and cab costs catch up to you. It's only feasible if there's a shit ton of trains and cabs and you're willing to walk a few miles. Other than that, I'd rather have my car.
>>
Trains are useful for moving people in dense areas, like within large cities or along the northeast US's urban corridor. They're also great for moving huge loads of cargo.

>posted from the El in Chicago
>>
File: CulverCityBus.jpg (718 KB, 2048x1360) Image search: [Google]
CulverCityBus.jpg
718 KB, 2048x1360
Dindus ruined both city buses and greyhounds
>>
>>69122783
Well there are big trains and little trains

even trains that blow through snooow
>>
>>69122783
Trains are extremely resource efficient compared to cars, and provide cheap transportation for muh lower class. The problem with trains is that the more freedomz your country has, the harder it will be to build one in a densely populated area.
>>
>>69124920
Sure. And when you get from city A to city B, you walk? Miles usually? Or take a cab? Am I right?
>>
>>69125173
Bus or Metro.
>>
trains are an awful idea.
never use them. don't develop your rail network.
it won't help your country or anything.
>>
>>69124737
You're wrong.

Metro are good for inner cities, making it easier to access for tourists and the few poor people actually living inside the city (like students)

Trains will shape the REAL city, meaning all the people who actually work here but want a house instead of living in appartments, trains are the best way to live FAR from the center but still being able to work there. Trains are faster than cars and they don't get stuck into traffic, you also WORK during your travel while you can't in a car.

Trains are absolutly essential for the urban sprawl and only burgers are cuck enough to agreed to lose so many hours in traffic in order to go to work in city centers while living in suburbs.
>>
>>69122783
They're great when well done, and excellent in highly urban areas where the sheer number of people make personal transport slow and impractical.

totally worthless on a larger scale. If I were to commute to work by train (25 miles each way, every day) it would cost me £56 a week. Discounting the cost of my car it costs me £40 a week in petrol to drive to and from work, plus £15.50 a week in car insurance and about £6 a week in tax. So all in, I'm only down about £5 a week, so I can drive in the comfort of my own car and park at work instead of walking half a mile to and from the station at each end.

That said, I understand many other countries do long distance train travel much cheaper and faster, so it might just be a British problem.
>>
>>69125249
And there's that too. I won't argue, I didn't mind it after I got used to it and I was MUCH healthier for all of my miles of walking, but for convenience, time, and laziness, personal cars win hands down.
>>
The only reason americans are brainwashed to believe trains are bad is because the air traffic industry hates competition.
>>
>>69122783
The more big ass semi trucks we can keep off the road the better.
>>
>>69122783
It's a train you fucking retard

A TRAIN

What's there to discuss?
>>
>>69122783
Very useful in transporting lots of goods and people relatively cheaply and efficiently, especially compared to cars.
Underground systems like those in London and Berlin are an absolute godsend to people who wan't to get places quickly.

Not as obviously useful in the US just because of the distances involved, might work in highly populated areas on the East and West coast but probably not simply because of lack of available land to build stations and tracks in useful places.
>>
>>69125375
>So all in, I'm only down about £5 a week, so I can drive in the comfort of my own car and park at work
So you pay more (plus actually buying the car and all reparation costs) for the priviledge to NOT being able to do anything but drive instead of working inside your train
>>
nothing wrong with trains, best germany also used them in ww2
>>
>>69123032

first post best post
>>
>>69125480
We could discuss the fact that it kinda looks like a penis
>>
>>69125453

Well you still need semi's

Ships are the best when it comes to moving goods from continent to continent, Rails move goods from region to region, semi's move goods locally and you can get smaller from there. Same with moving people just use planes, buses, city buses or cabs, etc...
>>
>>69125725
best germany had better ideas
>>
>>69125580
>So you pay more (plus actually buying the car and all reparation costs) for the priviledge to NOT being able to do anything but drive instead of working inside your train

I pay more so I don't need to either get up early and arrive at work 30 minute early, or 10 minutes late and so I'm not constantly choking on diesel fumes from the 60s era diesel-electrics around here.

I carpool with a mate at college 3 days a week, cuts my bills clean in half.
>>
Useful with suitable population density to support them. That's why you have the Acela on the east coast of the US, it connects cities like Boston and New York with D.C.

The country is too damn big for huge amounts of train lines to work, just limited service in limited areas. Combine that with relatively cheap flights (for long distances) and cheap cost of automobile ownership and you end up in a situation where trains have limited purpose.

Even in areas with high ridership trains are expensive in the US. For example:
>NYC suburb to grand central monthly unlimited pass: $365
>daily parking cost (permits have a several year waiting list): $3/day, 5 days a week, equals $60 per month).
>Average daily cost: $425. More if you don't work near grand central in manhattan and need to take the subway

Even with $425 * thousands of people per day (and that's just one suburban station), they put taxes on our cell phone bills, on paychecks in NYC, etc. to specifically subsidize trains. They rake in the money for trains and it still isn't enough.
>>
>>69122783
Trains are at the center of the German economy. Take them away for 2 weeks and the German economy comes crumbling down.
>>
>>69125793
Everything looks like a penis

- Freud, a German
>>
>>69122783
Freight trains are useful.
>>
>>69125434
No its because we have cars and $1.70 a gallon gas. Trains are for cargo and minorities
>>
>>69124236
really.
>>
>>69122783
How are Jews supposed to get to Poland without trains?
>>
>>69125518
Agreed. It's great for tourism and densely populated areas, but the US, compared to others, is vastly spread out. It'd be quite the headache to walk 3 miles from my home to catch a train from Milford, OH to Cincinatti and then walk 5 miles to my office buildng. Then walk 5 miles back after work and take the train home to Milford and walk another 3 miles to my home every day. That's a 15 mile urban hike every day. Sure, it'd be better for my health, but it'll take me hours to get from point A to point B.
>>
>>69122783
>2016
>riding the Choo-Choo Jew
>>
you may use a train to cross the border

though in my opinion trains are slightly more useful if you're 2nd generation desu

but overall generally pretty useless if you just have fly or surf
>>
>>69125847
>I pay more so I don't need to either get up early and arrive at work 30 minute early, or 10 minutes late and so I'm not constantly choking on diesel fumes from the 60s era diesel-electrics around here.
The fact your national service is complete shit since it was privatized is unrelated to how useful a well organized train system can be.
>>
File: 1458844255640.png (102 KB, 200x298) Image search: [Google]
1458844255640.png
102 KB, 200x298
>>69125954
>>
>>69125842
Zeppelins are retarded. Anything they do an airplane can do faster and easier
>>
>>69124073
This. That's why in theory it would work in California but in that case you're just connecting the ghettos to the wealthier neighborhoods.

The Midwest is a prime example of this. You have like 1-2 big cities throughout each state and each one is separated by like 100s of miles of rural towns of ~100 people.
>>
>>69122783

Definetly a white mal invention. Look how the train "penetrate" the trainstatin especially the head train stations aka vaginas. In and out....... this is even more sexist than skyscrapers
>>
File: pepe.gif (40 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
pepe.gif
40 KB, 128x128
>redpill me on trains
They are a type of technology that has objective benefits and downsides. Are you retarded or something?
>>
>>69126006
>The fact your national service is complete shit since it was privatized is unrelated to how useful a well organized train system can be.

It was shit before it was nationalized, the only difference now is that it's more expensive. Also, trains breakdowns are really common. When I was at college, I actually got thrown out for poor attendance because the trains broke down so often, and the replacement bus service takes literally 90 minutes to go 25 miles.

Public transport in general is a fucking joke here. If I was in power, I would just cut all subsidaries and let them die, spend the money saved on better roads so driving to work isn't like driving on the surface of the moon.
>>
>>69124729
And Asians built the railroads.
So sorry.
>>
>>69122783
Good idea done terrible
Over crowded, over expensive, shitty service (always late), gross old trains (at least in England)
>>
trains is hard job
>>
>>69126322
So you wanna go full Congo on your infrastructures ?
>>
We should build a train that spans the whole world, and use it for global shipping. :^)
>>
>>69122783

Trains are useful since the $/ton are cheaper and can remove lots of trucks from roads, seriously, having a solid railroad system is one of the foundations of a 1st World nation.
>>
>>69125927
Why not connect all major cities in the us with maglev train as fast as planes? Much safer, cheaper, more ecological, easier to use.
>>
They work great in some countries.
They are a shitty liberal idea in America, and any efforts to make trains the primary mode of travel in the United States has been a financial and bureaucratic nightmare.
>>
>>69126512
Better than giving billions to robber barons so that they can never maintain the rails anyway.

The only other option would be nationalizing the whole lot, and adding all the expense to the already strained budget
>>
>>69125434
This, as well as the automotive industry. I will say that air travel is much more practical and less time consuming for cross-country travel in the US.

Passenger trains are not held in high esteem here for more reasons than "brainwashing". Amtrak, the only passenger train system in the US, is known for their terrible logistics, and even worse customer service. The majority of railways are privately owned, and Amtrak is funded by the government. Cargo trains on private rails get the right of way, resulting in travel delays. Amtrak workforce is unionized, and tend to hire a lot of dindus and others who have a poor work ethic. It's a shame really. Passenger rail has a lot of potential IMO, at least in geographic hubs.
>>
File: 1387668070403.jpg (68 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1387668070403.jpg
68 KB, 400x300
If you don't know the answer to this strange question then you must be under 18.

What the fuck do locomotives have to do with liberalism you retarded cunt?
>>
>tfw it costs more to travel by rail than by plane
>you will never ride across America in your own comfy train cabinet
>>
File: 1455815865765.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1455815865765.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>69124073
pretty much. while europe was investing in railway tech and infrastructure, america was investing in aviation. and now europe gets the benefit of both.
>>
Last post I'll make here. Same ex mil guy again. I've been there. I've done that. Not terrible, but you better get used to walking ALOT. 3 miles from your front door to the train. 5 miles from train to wherever in the dense area. 5 miles back to train. 3 miles from train back to home. Your 8 hour day just turned into a 12 hour day because of a 15 mile urban hike. On the upside though, that's why all of these people aren't fat asses like us yanks. If you hiked 15 miles a day, 5 days a week, you'd be fit too. The more you faggots know.
>>
File: trans trains.png (35 KB, 599x301) Image search: [Google]
trans trains.png
35 KB, 599x301
>>69122783
Trains are mentally ill, only autists like them.
>>
The Netherlands without trains would quickly dissolve us into third world.

>inbefore you already are
>>
>>69126806
Don't feel too bad you dominate the internet. 50% of euro net usage is Google/Youtube.
>>
>>69122783

After reading the topic, I was kinda expecting an australian flag desu
>>
>>69125842
Brrrring, brrrrring.
Hello, airplanes? It's blimps. You win. Again.

>>69126440
So it's literally the Panda Express.
>>
>>69122783
Is that the DB train from Frankfurt? I rode to Lahr and it was a great ride. From a city to a little town by the Black Forest. Would do again.
>>
>>69122783
They are anti freedom communistic way of transport
>>
>>69122783
Trains are great if your country doesn't have nigs or Muslims to ruin them.
>>
>Using the moving Jew
>>
>>69127189
Well said, same ex mil urban hiking faggot from before. You have to take those things into consideration with your routes from point A to point B. If you've got shitty people or shitty areas along the way, you'll either have to walk around it, walk through it, or hire a cab.
>>
>>69127373
I was lucky enough to experience this in Korea, and I love those folks, so it was ok, but if I had to walk through packs of feral niggers and muslims, it would have made my urban hikes far more problematic along the way.
>>
>>69122783
Trains are spectacular, but they become troublesome when you get to a point where your country is too big to realistically utilize.

Countries like Japan and Korea, and smaller countries in Europe, benefit the most from trains because it allows people to continue to travel long distances without the need for motor vehicles.

When it comes to countries like the USA, though, the only time rail should be seriously considered is if it's high speed.
>>
>>69127598
At least to me, it seemed as if they didn't care that I was passing through, but they watched me, no threats. No danger. I was diplomatic in my travels, respected their customs, and broke bread with them regularly at local restaurants, and supported their culture and local businesses, so they were all cool with me. Asians are fair and do what's best for business. Asian communities don't act like niggers, jews, or muslims in their dealings. I felt safe among the Asians. I wouldn't mind living there actually. They tolerated white people and were welcoming to me.
>>
>>69125858
Those relatively cheap flights are usually subsidized and one small highway project costs more than our entire train budget. Many western states are filled with usable train lines with barley any required maintenance but no option to take a train.
>>
>>69122783
I absolutely love trains
>>
>>69128800
>cheap flights are subsidized
...what?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2015/04/14/u-s-airlines-have-paid-the-government-250-billion-amazingly-some-claim-they-are-subsidized/#24a1bd776530
>A government report that surfaced recently shows that U.S. airlines received $155 billion in federal subsidies between 1919 and 1998. The report was unearthed by Kevin Mitchell, chairman of the Business Travel Coalition, who found it online after he saw it mentioned in The National, a UAE publication.
>[...]
>Of the $155 billion in spending through 1988 outlined in the report, the vast majority, $140 billion, was spent by the aviation trust fund that supports Federal Aviation Administration spending.
>The report does not mention that since 1971, U.S. airlines and their passengers have contributed about $247 billion to the fund, according to Federal Aviation Administration historical data.
>The airlines and their passengers today contribute about $10 billion annually to the fund, which currently holds a surplus of about $13 billion. The rest has been spent.
>In other words, the U.S. airline industry generally pays for what it gets from the government.

As far as small regional airports, yes the Essential Air Service exists, but the Essential Air Service is not subsidizing $150 roundtrips from New York to Los Angeles.
>>
File: 1440434661699-1.png (24 KB, 500x560) Image search: [Google]
1440434661699-1.png
24 KB, 500x560
>>69128919
>>
>>69122783
They are great for freight transport. Way better than trucks for long distance. More efficient.The US freight lines don't need subsidized and are very successful, the passenger lines do need subsidization.

Ovverrated for passenger transport except in high desnsity areas.
>>
>>69122783
In Germany we use about the same amount of taxes for the rail system as for the streets.
Only 10% of individual distance traveled is done by train.
Less than 20% of our goods are transported with trains, still requiring train stations for repackaging.

If people using the trains had to pay for what they actually cost, no one would use them.
People relying on trains especially for long distance travelling are parasites.
I think it will look similar in most countries with tax funded public transportation.
>>
>>69122783
Heavy rail is excellent for regular mass transport of people and goods between major population centers.

Automobiles and such are better for suburban and rural areas.

Light rail and such is better for dense urban areas.

Of course, it's still important to have proper highways and interstates, but having a more efficient and accessible public transit system between cities (linking major cities to smaller towns that don't warrant their own station) would do wonders to reduce the demand of oil and prevent road congestion.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.