[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A House Divided Against Itself Cannot Stand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: American-Flag-close-focus.jpg (43 KB, 700x340) Image search: [Google]
American-Flag-close-focus.jpg
43 KB, 700x340
This country is headed for a precipice, and it isn't because of any agenda, but because of rampant polarization.

We like to rant about how moronic the left is, but you can't really believe that half of the country is stupid or evil. It would be narcissistic to do so. The other side, on average, is just as reasonable as this side. Rhetoric that paints them as evil only drives them away, and vice versa.

A decade ago democrats and republicans in Washington would socialize with each other just as easily outside their party as inside. Now it's rare that they even talk to each other. Should we be surprised when their goals and stances shift farther and farther away?

I know you guys mostly subscribe to the "the farther right someone is, the better" camp, and to a lesser extent I know a lot of you see compromise with these people as a surrender, but if you listen to their ideas and don't dismiss them idly, they'll usually do the same for you, no matter how far right you are. (The religious right are an exception, you guys are gonna have problems.)

Just a reminder to treat your countrymen as Americans first and liberals second. The path we've been going down is not the one that keeps a country intact in the long run.
>>
Get fucked cupcake you're just scared because you know which side has the most guns and the skills needed to use them effectively. Leftist heads on pikes is the only future I want for the u.s.
>>
>>68909896
>the most guns and the skills needed to use them effectively
You mean me?

>Leftist heads on pikes is the only future I want for the u.s.
It's better than being one of the smug Europeans who wants America to be more like them I guess.
>>
>>68909676

Quality post and arguably true although I don't think it's true that parties are so divided they don't talk to each other. The system is highly depended on formalized interaction and compromise.

The issue is that right or wrong, a huge amount of voters believe the current system is highly flawed. They end up being polarized in some way because polarization is really the only alternative to what they see, probably mistakenly, as a fatally flawed system.

The public doesn't understand politics. Only emotions and base distillations they get from media sources. Their views are constructed in real time and improvised as they get more "information". One trending topic and medium meme at a time, each vacuumed sealed to prevent any chance of them forming any sort of relation to one another. They don't look at things historically, culturally, humanistically, or even selfishly, there exists no system for interpreting "the facts." Compromise becomes impossible, as a simple example, when a "moderate" "thinks" there should be more restrictions on guns, they want gun owners to give up something they want very much-- in exchange for nothing. "But it's the right thing to do!" And the yelling starts.

Public politics is so aestheticized it's artificial drama, just local news crime stories blown up nationally. It's not meant to provoke a response, but rather to give the illusion that the public is participating and informed.

This system basically can work as long as public views of politics are essentially unactionable and compartmentalized from actual policy. The real issue would be if the simulation of public politics begins to interfere with actual politics. If the government truly does serve the will of the people this will happen at some point, probably to the detriment of everyone involved.
>>
Fools. The founding fathers never intended for our politicans to compromise and work together. The republic was designed as a system of checks and balances. America has always been divided. It's just you're seeing it now because it has never been more divided in your lifetime
>>
>>68909676
When it comes to policy, the country isn't polarized. We're just made to feel polarized by our media and the politicians who feed off of outrage. On policy there's incredible agreement except that most people are misled into thinking the other side is out to destroy the human race.
>>
>>68911892
>The founding fathers never intended for our politicans to compromise and work together
It's funny you say that, because they had to come up with many compromises just to get the constitution written and ratified.
>>
>>68909676
It's time to trim the fat.
>>
>>68912065

And 200 years later liberals are still not fucking satisfied. I'm sensing a pattern.
>>
>>68909676
>but you can't really believe that half of the country is stupid or evil.
Why not? Really, think about how stupid the average person is, and then consider that half of them are stupider than that.
>>
>>68909676
OP is right. Liberals are only being used to trigger the Right anyway.
>>
>>68909676
Stop trying to save the right.

Let them medicate themselves into irrelevance with their barbecue and legal methamphetimine. There is no hope for them to win a national election again for at least two decades.
>>
>>68912273
>"liberals are one person"
You say it like the liberals of today are the same liberals of 1776, and have just hypocritically changed their views. New people are born and see things differently.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.