[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The 1990's vs. Today
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10
Why were the 1990's so much more authentic seeming than today? Yes there were wars and useful idiocy was still rampant, but all the footage of people from this time appears more steadfast, more... human.
Was it the end of normal human interaction?

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLJ38rDZ4Dg&ebc=ANyPxKpmaEi59cd3YeBzWApWHLwSaXA2RDx29X7ylOSH1c8UUGIEYgGEN3iOGrJsU0duDH8hIh8Px5HWAfbkmffI0sknQXizbg
>>
Could it be all the social media? Everybody is seeing themselfs through the selfie ego. I dont think people are meant to live their lives on display and its corrupted us.
>>
>>67726512
90's had nothing on pic related s era.

That series and Smiley's People to me were the absolute best television dram's ever produced..

nothing before or since comes close.

I was in my 30's in the 90's and to me they were mostly shit... the 80's in my 20's was the shit.
>>
>>67726512
I've been trying to figure out what the distraction from then was and I think it was the tech boom.
The only real thing I notice is different from then is the publics standpoint of social issues. Girl power was an unironic thing back then and it was good.
Women knew they were capable of anything and strived for it, there was also the common acceptance that you shouldn't beat up a girl because obvious reasons.
Black people actively talked about black on black crime, even tupac did. They were still solid with their new culture brought on from years of fighting to prove they are equal men. Being overly touchy with race or trying too hard to be ant racist showed that you were kind of racist and this was openly joked about.
People were people and we were all getting by.
So naturally a wrench came sailing into the system to fuck shit up.
>>
>>67727113
These shows are perennial favorites of mine since I first saw them a couple of years ago.
>>
>>67726512
It's all the internet's fault, especially social media. Sure it lets wrongthinkers congregate but it also allows massive amplification of the mainstream narrative if you can control and centralize enough of cyberspace i.e. social media and news outlets like Buzzfeed and Gawker, which are the only places normies go to anyways.

It also fucks with normal social interaction and atomizes people (ironic for a communication device) even more than the culture before.
>>
>>67727113
Are there societies of men like this which exist today? It seems like the last column of the temple of western civilization, just their demeanor and the elegant conversation and general dignity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oer2LoXYusY
>>
So does this mean that people born before 1995 were the last generation of real human beans?
>>
>>67728235
Hard to believe, I know.
>>
>>67726512
Prepare for a rollercoaster of feelings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA
>>
>>67726512

I cannot believe me eyes. I am actually watching Smiley's People right now. I watched the first two episodes last night and plan to watch another two episodes tonight. And I just finished watching the Tinker Tailor series two days ago. Alex Guiness is great. The movie is one of my most favorite movies. I had some friends over last week. They looked through my collection of films and they decided to watch TTSS. It was over two years since I watched it last. Seeing the movie again gave me the urge to see the TV series. So glad I did. I am loving Smiley's People. I still can't believe this thread is here, now.
>>
>>67726512
90s were not the best decade but.
>no social media
>internet was small
>cold war over
>9/11 hadn't happened yet
>less Muslims and chinks in my town
>fags and SJW had no power and were not considered normal
>>
>>67730971
desu the series inspired me with its setting, the characters, the stoic resolve.
>>
>>67726512

When economic times are good, people tend to have more free time to put into arts.

When the economy is doing poorly, people focus less on arts and more on productivity.
>>
>>67731216
It seems like the 90's were the last good era and it's all been downhill since then. I remember being a kid in school in the 90's and we had a huge Canadian flag in our class, our teacher forced us to sing O Canada (we couldn't just stand), and the main office had a portrait of the Queen. We were all proud of Canada and even has assignments where we had to write about why Canada was the best country in the world and we didn't talk about diversity. I don't even want to know what kids are going through in school today
>>
90's were full of optimism we were entering a new millennia the cold war was behind us economy was booming the future was bright.

Then our grandparents finally retired and the boomers took complete control.
>>
File: omHft8VI38UQKzbeVaoqyJykxoQ.jpg (49 KB, 780x439) Image search: [Google]
omHft8VI38UQKzbeVaoqyJykxoQ.jpg
49 KB, 780x439
>>67730971
I recommend A Perfect Spy also..
>>
>>67730971
"He has that heavy calm which commands."
>>
>>67731216
The casualization of the internet and computers in general really fucked everything up.
>>
>>67726512
>Why were the 1990's so much more authentic seeming than today?
They weren't. You're just experiencing nostalgia and cherry picked an example that supports your argument.

I'm so sick of the rampant stupidity on this site. You're all unthinking morons.
>>
They weren't. You're just living in nostalgia, which is really pathetic. Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>67733008
You were born in 1998.
>>
File: pills.jpg (172 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
pills.jpg
172 KB, 620x413
>>67726512
90,s in England was amazing the cold war had ended and the future looked bright (and not in the /pol way) finances were good and there was more of a sense of community,raves extacy and acid all but killed the huge football hooligan scene as people just wanted to get high and enjoy themselves was like a futuristic 60,s
yes i was a total degenerate but if you haven't danced into the next day in a field full of people all on extacy you have missed out massively

cant watch this video without getting goosepimples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYpDJw7fThU
>>
>>67730082
>born 98
>I am glimpsing into a world I will never know
>Nobody can speak like this. People speak only when necessary and even then on occasion
>I will never know a world free from the effects of the active genocide of my people
>I will never really live
hold me /pol/
>>
>>67734558
This video and music are far better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9gWA491H4U
>>
>>67734558
extacy was that prevalent in the 90s this song was number 1 in england during drug awareness week in 1992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFJdUJg4wOk
>>
>>67734968
I recall my mum's friend screaming up and down the road in his Metro, blasting Ebeneezer Goode out the windows.

Well, he must have felt cool at the time.
>>
>>67726512
Its DEGENERACY that increases exponentially over time.

The 1990's were less DEGENERATE than 2010's, the same way the 1930's were less DEGENERATE than the 1990's...
>>
>>67730082
>People actually being nice to each other
I wish I could go back in time and relive my childhood right at the beginning of the 90's, shit was fucking cash. What sucks though is all the people born ~95 or later who have no idea what it was like living in a world like that.
>>
File: 1456372294109.png (409 KB, 619x541) Image search: [Google]
1456372294109.png
409 KB, 619x541
>>67734584
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 750x714) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 750x714
>>67730082
My hope and optimism are gone. Things will never be like they were when I was a kid again. Wish I appreciated it then.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8
>>
>>67737679
To be honest if someone gave me a button that magically erased time up to your birth and you can relive your childhood, I wouldn't hesitate to smash that shit. Fuck this world and how shitty fucking retards have made it. It's like you have a favorite seat and a bunch of potatoes run up to it and start to shit all over it. Gee thanks, now I can't sit down without getting filfth all over me and think about how good things were before the tard wrangler lost a few.
>>
>>67737679
>>67737928
Trump will turn the west around. 5 years down the line you're gonna be full of optimism. We will win, and we will win, and we will win, and we will win, and it's gonna be beautiful.

And Jeb is a mess.
>>
>>67735287
song was shite but it was funny that it got to number 1 and was played everywhere before the people controlling tv and radio got what it meant
also i,m not sure its possible to have been cool in a metro however good your choice in music
>>
File: image.jpg (250 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
250 KB, 1080x1080
>>67738762
Wish I could believe you, I'm sure that I'm going to get blown up in WW3. Or killed by muslims, or starve when the dollar collapses.
>>
File: are we the baddies.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
are we the baddies.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>67738762
trump wont even turn america around he will be blocked by congress left right and centre and contained as much as possible if he gets in, but he,s defiantly a step in the right direction and hopefully improve your foreign relations
>>
>>67726512
>more authentic

The biggest difference was there was only 3-4 major media networks, and everybody knew they were on the take and peddling lies 24/7 so nobody believed what you saw on TV.

Music was also mass censored (by Tipper Gore, Al Gore's wife if newfags don't remember) and they literally tried to prevent you from buying "misogynistic" music by banning it, suing the artists, and stamping adult labels on it.

There was no social media to degenerate yourself in and be bombarded by propaganda 24/7, nor could you live in an echo chamber. You had to go outside and meet people with different opinions because there was nothing else to do in 1992.

Flash forward now and people are gullible as fuck swallowing whatever shitposts are trending on twitter as actual news. Everybody wants to be "famous" and has a stupid blog or kikebook page that shills themselves and recycles unchecked propaganda
>>
>>67741542
Forgot to add,

Growing up in the 90s literally nobody talked about politics. None of your friends ever did, and you'd never hear it come up in a party or over dinner it was considered rude to enforce your politics on other people. There was zero political activism at my high school in 1998 and my school had 2,000+ kids.

Today all people do is talk about politics and are bitter as fuck, hateful, spiteful and boring to be around.
>>
The internet, texting. People used to actually talk to each other and meet up in real life, had to go to the library for information. It's a simple answer people like you deny because you're part of the problem. No one develops social skills and circles like they used to.
>>
>>67727113
what pic related?
>>
Let me remove rose tinted nostalgia glasses.

Everything was much more violent in the 90s, remember it was the rise of urban gangster rap so every kid was decked out in "colors" and stabbing each other over them.

There was an asian gang here that hung out at a shopping mall who wore purple, and anybody with purple anything was jumped by them. By jumped I mean stabbed repeatedly. Getting jacked for your clothing or shoes was a common occurence too.

It was also common that gangs would walk into a restaurant and kill everybody inside just to hit one rival so lot's of old viet ladies got shotgun blasted in the face over some petty drug beef which doesn't happen anymore.

7-11 was also nicknamed 7-lebanon because the parking lot was a guaranteed warzone of wannabe gangsters fighting anybody. The 90s sucked.
>>
>>67743342
op...
>>
>>67730082
Lol, I've seen this posted on pol. Things were more genuine then, life was fuller and people, despite not having PCs and smart phones, were more connected to each other. Source: I am an old fag. Early 2000s it seems is when society started to really become...stale. everything has become more and more consolidated under just a few corporate leviathans, it's produced a stale, inauthentic, disengenious, cynical, plastic culture.
>>
>>67727136
Notice the involvement of the authorities once the internet became widely accessible

Tech really has ruined everything and it's going to get worse
>>
>>67730082
I grew up near Orlando...

Goddamnit
>>
>>67728235
Eevryone is trying too hard in the last decade (last human died out in 2006)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni9FCzIOX2w
>>
>>67743517
I remember all these wiggers worshipping 2pac and snoop dogg, there was as much nigger shit back then than today, probably even more
>>
>>67735416
>the romans weren't degenerate
>>
>No Country for Old Men

things were always fucked, there were just less video cameras around so we look back and pretend it was better 'back in my day'

i used to have this .jpg of a newpaper from 1907 bitching and moaning about 'kids these days'
>>
>>67744985
God I love that movie

>The world knows what's comin, and they ain't waiting on you. That's vanity
>>
>>67735416
The nineties were every bit as degenerate as now, it just wasn't as widespread because the internet was still a fetus.
Seriously, popular culture really hasn't changed since then hardly at all, it just became so engrossed in cynicism, "irony", self-deprecation and self-pity for the sake of asspats that it's become an insane parody of itself. The only cultural changes that made any significant impression were the result of the internet, and I certainly can't say most of those were much of a good thing.
We need to start over from where the eighties left off, where actual hope and optimism for the future were still a thing and people didn't hate themselves and everything else to the point of engaging in prolonged suicide for the sake of approval from a garbage culture.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBwt24PTe0

TRUMP/SHADY 2016
>>
>>67745472
>We need to start over from where the eighties left off, where actual hope and optimism for the future were still a thing and people didn't hate themselves and everything else to the point of engaging in prolonged suicide for the sake of approval from a garbage culture.

imagine telling the people in the 1987 7-11 video that we would be voting for Donald Trump in 30 years and that it looks like he is going to win

He was like the third biggest meme of the 80's
>>
File: Pol_ron_paul_its_happening.gif (602 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Pol_ron_paul_its_happening.gif
602 KB, 320x180
once the internet came around, memes became danker at a rate we just can't handle.

now, the presidential election is a meme and before long we will implode under the weight of our own keks
>>
>>67732990
They showed us how bad things are in third world countries

having a whole bunch of fresh immigrant born kids come to terms with this was never going to happen

they couldnt accept that their parents had to flee for a superior culture, so they constructed the idea of 'well its always been a multicultural country' etc
>>
the Internet ruined it all. Yes, it has great potential but we have squandered it. Internet needs to be banned except to find legit information like a library.

It's a double edged sword and you will all say I'm pro government for doing this, I'm not. The government controls is easier with everyone glued to their phones.

Internet must go, as fun as it is. And you all know I'm right.
>>
File: 1985_slam_dunk_1.jpg (104 KB, 789x507) Image search: [Google]
1985_slam_dunk_1.jpg
104 KB, 789x507
>>67727136
Fucking this m8
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.