[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people poor?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: 316.jpg (22 KB, 448x298) Image search: [Google]
316.jpg
22 KB, 448x298
True or false: People are poor because they fail to work hard, educate themselves and make sacrifices. People should be happy that they live as well as they do. For West's poor, they are living in luxury while the rest of the world is in shambles. If only they change their ways would they find themselves making enough to live and improve themselves.
>>
>>66656404
Some people are poor purely because of their own lack of ambition, and some people are poor because even though they're hardworking they are just dumb, they can never get ahead. Some people are poor just because of terrible circumstances that they could not control. For most poor people it is a mix of these three things.
>>
File: welfarequeenmyth.jpg (60 KB, 287x323) Image search: [Google]
welfarequeenmyth.jpg
60 KB, 287x323
you cant label that as wholesale "true" or "false" because it depends on the person.

that being said, i would lean mostly towards false, for 2 reasons:

1) the "welfare queen" is a myth. 90+% of people who receive entitlements are working, elderly, or disabled. no one chooses to be poor.

2) along that vein of "choice", it's more complicated than simply "not working harder/making sacrifices". responsibility and work ethic are (mostly) learned behaviors. if you grow up in a ghetto without role models and guidance, you're stuck in a cycle of being poor, and without the personal tools to address your poor-ness. people who think that these people can just "step up and figure it out" are morons. i am not suggesting that these people receive handouts, but the #1 priority for poor communities should be encouraging families to stay together & teach responsibility, and to ensure they have quality schools to educate kids on how to work hard & be responsible, particularly when their families fail to do so.
>>
>>66657053
>encouraging families to stay together & teach responsibility
Families either do this on their own, or they do not.

You can force work onto a population but not work ethic.
>>
>>66656404
Only Black people are poor
White people don't know what its like to be poor
Therefore, people (niggers) are poor because they are niggers.

Infallible logic provided by the Democratic party.
>>
>>66656404
Because they're not intelligent, or suffer from mental illness.
>>
>>66657017
This is the correct answer.
>>
>>66657197

ive worked with non-profits that do exactly that. specifically i worked with organizations in central NY (extremely depressed areas) that tie these programs to section 8 housing (e.g. in order to maintain section 8 and other benefits they need to stick with certain programs). so do they do exist. efficacy varies but i think this is a better investment than just sending them checks (and of course, a better alternative to doing nothing at all, which despite edgy /pol/ rhetoric, is simply not an option).

furthermore you ignored by 2nd point about investing in education.
>>
File: 2016_02_23_schaefer_fig3.png (438 KB, 1026x814) Image search: [Google]
2016_02_23_schaefer_fig3.png
438 KB, 1026x814
>>66657231
>Only Black people are poor
Don't forget Hispanics who are literally taking over this country by virtue of immigration and fertility rates

Report: Nearly 1 in 5 U.S. Residents Now an Immigrant or Under 18 Child of an Immigrant
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/03/07/report-nearly-1-in-5-u-s-residents-now-an-immigrant-or-under-18-child-of-an-immigrant/
>The CIS report estimates that of the 61 million total, three-fourths or 45.3 million, are legal immigrants and their children. The remaining 15.7 million are illegal immigrants and their children.
>Additionally, the report highlights that the immigrant population in the U.S. has grown six times faster in that past 45 year than the total population of the U.S. According to CIS from 1970 to 2015 the immigrant and their children population grew by 353 percent compared to the nation’s 59 percent population growth.
>“These numbers raise profound questions that are seldom even asked: What number of immigrants can be assimilated? What is the absorption capacity of our schools, health care system, infrastructure, and labor market? What is the effect on the environment and quality of life from significantly increasing the nation’s population density?” Steven Camarota, CIS’ Director of Research, said Monday in a statement.

61 Million Immigrants and Their Young Children Now Live in the United States
http://cis.org/61-Million-Immigrants-and-Their-Young-Children-Now-Live-in-the-United-States
>>
File: yaypants1.jpg (48 KB, 1000x670) Image search: [Google]
yaypants1.jpg
48 KB, 1000x670
In order for everyone to live like the average American we would need 4 planet Earths

Do you have 4 planet Earth's in your pocket? Or do some people by necessity of nature need to be poor?
>>
chronic poors are poor because their bad with money, be it poor impulse control, low iq, what have you.
>>
>>66656404
Because their parents were poor.

Familial net worth is the single biggest predictor of the wealth of the offspring.

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21640316-children-rich-and-powerful-are-increasingly-well-suited-earning-wealth-and-power
>>
File: child.jpg (6 KB, 238x211) Image search: [Google]
child.jpg
6 KB, 238x211
>>66656404
Or they're like your picture and were born into poverty, you heartless piece of shit.
>>
>>66656404

False.

I know people who work twenty times as hard as I do in jobs far harder than mine and won't ever make half the money I make.

Not hard to find similar examples on other places.
>>
>>66658275
Working hard is not the same as working smart.

A guy digging a ditch will work "harder" than a CEO according to some people's view, but the point is the CEO is working smarter.
>>
>>66657053
^This
>>
>>66658416
Always an excuse by people that don't know what CEOs do. It's an incredibly difficult job requiring a lot of skill and usually longer hours than a ditch digger.
>>
>>66656404
white people are poor because they are being robbed and oppressed by minorities
>>
>>66657017
This is pretty accurate, I watched a decent thing on homelessness a while back

>Some dude camps in a park as soon as the gates are locked because it's the only safe place to pitch
>"So how did you end up homeless? Was it a drink or substance problem? Do you have a drink or substance problem now? Do you think if you could read and write you wouldn't be homeless and would have a job?"
>"Actually it was family matters and my ex-wife. I've never been an alcoholic or taken drugs, I was a school teacher for 15 years and speak 7 languages"
>People talking to him think he's talking obvious bullshit and he knows it
>Pulls out his folder with his qualifications in
>Starts speaking fluent Latin, Italian, German and Russian before asking them if they want him to continue

Literally mad as fuck.
>>
>>66659050
This
A competent CEO has as much free time as a relevant politician, they spend their time working.
>>
>>66656404
People are poor because everything is owned by someone who took control of something through force generations before they were born.

If I could go back in time with a modern gun and take ownership of all the land on the western side of the united states and everyone that land had to answer to me they are of course disenfranchised slaves/serfs by the definition of the word.

They're either forced to play by my rules or die because there is no free land for them to go make their own destiny. They're under my sovereignty and even if they're born into it and can play by my rules or die in a ditch.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
>>
>>66659320
The thing about homelessness is that it's nearly impossible to crawl out of that hole.

Just about everything requires an address of some sort, and especially in the modern economy there's a shitton of qualified applicants for any job.

Before the 20th century this would just make someone move back home with their family (if they weren't living with them already), but that's unlikely now.
>>
Every person is different. Some are born poor and will kill to become rich and successful and full of hope. Other poor people accept the fact and live by the philosophy that if you are born poor you die poor. There are people that are born rich however due to being spoiled and not caring they may fall into degeneracy and end up like the born poor person. I say true
>>
Poor ppl aren't ALL lazy, some ppl just don't have the best education but are smart in other ways and are more content with what they have.

I came from a very poor family, you could actually still consider me poor but my father is the hardest worker I've ever seen, even now that he's old. You don't have to be rich to take care of ur family, just need enough to be comfy
>>
File: 1450873796610.png (36 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1450873796610.png
36 KB, 255x255
>>66659320
>>
>>66657053

In regards to your "welfare queen" thoughts, I have 2 responses. Firstly, is there a source for this 90% figure you gave, or did you make it up - genuinely curious because I'm not certain of the actual numbers. Which brings me to the second point. Some people absolutely DO choose to be poor. I've met more than one person/household that chooses to never seek employment and just drink shitty vodka and/or do drugs then have some more retard babies so you get even more benefits. Some people really are that scummy, and I suspect its a larger demographic than you might think.

As for your second point, I mostly agree. Poverty in urban areas is definitely cyclical. Would like to point out that, in America at least, these people still have the tools at their disposal to make something out of themselves. Once again, I agree though, they need to be taught how to make use of this, although really it isn't hard to figure out.. unless you're a stupid nig of course.
>>
>>66656404
>Make sacrifices.
Sacrifice what? What is there to sacrifice if you're poor?
>>
>>66657017
This is the best answer.
>>
>>66660386
Please stop abbreviating "people" and "your", you're going to derail the thread.
>>
Some people get content in stagnation. Its weird.
>>
>>66660514

Don't go to movies. Don't eat at restaurants Don't buy toys or video games. Don't buy expensive shoes for the status in your hood. DON'T BUY ALCOHOL OR GO TO BARS. Poor people fail to do this and more.
>>
>>66660514
The biggest sacrifice poor people adamantly refuse to... is their time. That precious, precious time. fucking Fools.
>>
File: 1450414072253.jpg (373 KB, 1040x1000) Image search: [Google]
1450414072253.jpg
373 KB, 1040x1000
>>66657986
it's really single motherhood depressing social mobility
>>
>>66660748
Fuck off faggot I'm on a phone
>>
>>66661207
SINGLE MOTHER LINE

EVERY POST BELOW THIS IS FROM A SINGLE MOTHER

Hobbies,maintaining their body with healthy food and mainly a social status. There are not only people laughing at you but also not wanting to be near you etc. You won't be able to go out. Not even a coffee in a lounge. It limits your life, your way of thinking and lets you slowy die from the inside."Don't cry for me i'm already dead"
>>
File: bait.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bait.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>66656404
>>
>>66660453
>Firstly, is there a source for this 90% figure you gave, or did you make it up - genuinely curious because I'm not certain of the actual numbers.

the source is at the bottom of the graph image.
>CBPP analysis from Office of management and budget, US Departments of agriculture, health and human services, and labor, and the US census bureau.

you can also just reverse image search the pic, or google the myth yourself to find a steady stream of sources. here's a cited statement from the wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_queen
>Criticism focused on the fact that individuals committing welfare fraud were, in reality, a very small percentage of those legitimately receiving welfare

in terms of your 2nd point, no where did i suggest that taking advantage of fraud NEVER happens. you cant think in extremes. but these are fringe cases, and basing public policy on exceptions is silly. it is not a larger demographic than anyone thinks. in fact, the reason the myth EXISTS AT ALL is because the average republicuck grossly OVERESTIMATES how many people abuse the system. a great example is FL governor Rick Scott, who instated drug tasting for welfare recipients; the program was a massive waste of money because hardly anyone was removed from welfare as a result, yet the state spent millions running the tests (and ironically, most of that money went right into scott's pocket, since the company administering the tests, Solantic, was a company HE started and then transferred the shares to his wife...but i digress)
>>
>>66661207
Wow this is very backwards and skewed, even engineered, data.. Of course there is less economic mobility as a single motherhood rate rises. Who do you think has the highest single mother rates? Spoiler, its the blacks.

Graph is literally working backwards from an answer to construct a new - false - question. Madoff doesn't even sound Jewish though?
>>
>>66662731

Oops, didnt even see the graphic with your post.

> no where did i suggest that taking advantage of fraud NEVER happens
>>no one chooses to be poor
Gunna have to pick one

And I agree with the overestimates for abuse and drug testing recipients being inefficient and overall stupid. If I were to propose a substitute solution off the top of my head, it would be something more along the lines of welfare benefits functioning similar to unemployment in the sense that it runs out after a certain time period. Just like unemployment, welfare should be a safety net subsidizing actual efforts to regain control over your financial state and get back on your feet or lift above where you currently are. It should not be permanent or even close to it because that allows it to be abused.
>>
>>66656404

False, mostly. However people don't take education seriously in the US. People claim they do, but the truth is the majority don't.
>>
>>66664118
>> no where did i suggest that taking advantage of fraud NEVER happens
>>>no one chooses to be poor
>Gunna have to pick one

you're cherrypicking a sentence from my post. just to appease your autism, you can change it to "almost no one chooses to be poor". happy?

other than that it sounds like we're on the same page though. i think there are valid points to boths sides (e.g. as far as increasing benefits/entitlements, and on cutting them) but it's a shame that both sides feel so extreme.

the welfare queen myth in particular though makes it very difficult for me to sympathize with republican voters on this issue though, since any position based on that myth is pretty much inherently wrong
>>
>>66656404
people get exactly what they want out of life. They are simply conditioned to think they want more or less. If you were raised and hardwired to desire power, or wealth, or success, you would have it. You would need it. It would be the first thing you think of at the beginning of the day and the last thing you think of when you sleep at night. The poor will wail eternally for having less but what they can never understand is that simply being what you are is the most satisfying life you can live. If any kind of fortune falls into your lap you'd be happy to have it of course, but how long will it last? And will it really fulfill your life anymore than family and decent living?

Let the rich curse themselves with all the emptiness and pain of wealth and power. They are well compensated for their sacrifice and serve only to provide ever evolving means of easier living for the rest of us.

also
>white child
>poor
Impossible
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.