[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is sam harris top kek? or keked? Man of words and not a lot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: sdas.jpg (121 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sdas.jpg
121 KB, 1920x1080
Is sam harris top kek? or keked?

Man of words and not a lot of action.
>Reminds me of /pol/

Also what is his autism levels at? In every interview hes just whispering and super soft spoken, literally no passion for what he is talking about.

>identifies himself as liberal.
>All his views on policies are regressive (KILL,RAPE,NUKE) the middle east

>Extremely racist

Champions and white knights Christianity and the Jews

Full of contradictions, is sam harris the poster boy for /pol/??
>>
File: wolf-sheep.jpg (156 KB, 802x359) Image search: [Google]
wolf-sheep.jpg
156 KB, 802x359
>>56747480
he is the redpiller of liberals /pol deserves

we should worship him like /g/ worships stallman.
>>
>Australia
>>
>>56747480
>>All his views on policies are regressive (KILL,RAPE,NUKE) the middle east
>>Extremely racist

Nice try, Cenk, but nobody's buying it.
>>
>>56747480

I remember him from getting his ass kicked by Chomsky.

He tries to come across as intellectual but he's incredibly stupid.
>>
>>56747871
if you dont understand his words, it doesnt mean he talks nonsense.
>>
>>56747871
MEXICO NO!

Sam Harris is based and this board should embrace him more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aof6h6KTOs0
>>
>>56747480

Sam Harris is fucking amazing.
>>
>>56747944

No, it was him who didn't understand Chomsky's points at all and tried to use avoidant tactics:

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-limits-of-discourse

He even whined about the "tone" of Chomsky's emails, like a total bitch.
>>
>>56747652
>>56747740
>>56748022
>>56748089

How many shills have invaded /pol/ since the paris attacks?

>>>>TheAmazingAthiest
>>
>>56748284
>>>>>TheAmazingAthiest

Bananafag sucks ass
>>
>>56748154
I was just making fun. I only wtched the last of his podcasts, because someone posted it in here. I always support people who are willing to publicly speak about it, even if I dont agree 100% with their views.
>>
File: Screenshot 2015-11-26 at 00.45.jpg (171 KB, 782x464) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2015-11-26 at 00.45.jpg
171 KB, 782x464
He's great.
He gets shit for liberals about supporting torture. He's said torture should be illegal but it's not always immoral. Most moral philosophers and the general public actually agree with him on this. Even the people that call him nuts agree with him. THey just hear the word "torture" and go into emotional mode.
>>
He did an interview with Salon today. They removed parts of it but you can read the entire thing on his blog.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/sam-harris-the-salon-interview
>>
>>56748674
This is a real case BTW.

Would you beat the criminal to save the boy? Of course you would. Not beating the criminal is immoral in this case.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/torture/#CasStuBea
>>
>>56748089

this, you are either trolling or mentally retarded OP

clearly a troll thread though
>>
File: richard-stallman-foot-o.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
richard-stallman-foot-o.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>56747652
>>
File: sam.jpg (36 KB, 459x551) Image search: [Google]
sam.jpg
36 KB, 459x551
>>56748853
tfw scam harris agree's with ben carson
>>
Harris is cool.

>Amazing Atheist
Supreme edgelord of the universe
>>
Atheist + liberal means he's technically a Jew.
>>
>>56748154
jesus that was brutal! is this guy really considered an intellectual?
>>
>>56749910
Chomsky? Yes, he's very well respected.
>>
>>56748674
>Most moral philosophers and the general public actually agree with him on this

did you pull that out of your ass?
>>
>>56750072
no I meant the other guy
>>
I can't remember his stance on Iran but I can imagine it's in favour of bombing them.

Iran's probably the most sane muslim country in the region, possibly tied with Lebanon, which happens to also be Shia. It's the Sunni's and their exportation of Wahhabism and their fanatical death-worshipping that (rightfully) gives everyone a bad impression of Islam.

I believe he said he'd support a nuclear first strike against Iran, which I disagree with. First of all, Mossad, the CIA, and all the other intelligence agencies all agree that Iran is NOT pursuing a nuclear weapons program, only a nuclear energy program. And not only that, even if they were to somehow acquire a nuke (which would be the best way for them to prevent Israel from further sabre-rattling and from threatening invasions every 6 months, you can't simply invade a nuclear armed state like you can a non-nuclear armed one).

Iranians would be much like the Russians, and the same reasons that kept the Russians from pushing the button would prevent the Iranians. They don't want to be incinerated, they don't want their kids to be incinerated, they don't want their country to be incinerated. It would also give the US and Israel reason to stop supporting coups and assassination attempts against the Iranian leadership, because if you create a power vacuum in a nuclear armed state, bad things can occur quickly.

On pretty much all of his other stances, I tend to agree with him though, just the Iran issue. I'm an Iranaboo I guess.
>>
>>56750587
You've obviously never met an ex-pat Iranian.

The Government there is fucking cancer and so is your post.
>>
File: 1437913864009.jpg (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1437913864009.jpg
43 KB, 640x480
>>56747480
>le meditation man
>ooooooooo im sooooooo enlightened i study brain wave reports
>look at me standing up for moral absolutism while being a materialist at the same time
>twitter and my mailbox are evidence enough that religion is only capable of evil
>is/ought problem? who cares! i dont even give a fuck
>i'm really good at probability arguments
>religion is child abuse and totalitarian
>the state should be allowed to enforce what our children can or cant learn
>brb let me suck more neocon cocks
>will you buy my new book? it's got quotes from richard dawkins
>did I mention how enlightened I am?
>>
>>56750107
No. Read the case. A guy stole a car that had a child in the back seat. The cops got the guy but the kid was in the car. Virtually everyone agrees that it's okay to beat that guy to save a child's life.
>>
File: 1448434012716.png (386 KB, 1320x1849) Image search: [Google]
1448434012716.png
386 KB, 1320x1849
>>56747480
I'll repost what I said last night:

Harris is GOAT

Most people who dismiss him have never actually read anything he has written

I really highly recommend reading The Problem with Islam chapter of End of Faith.

Not only did he write the best modern critique of Islam, he also wrote The Moral Landscape, where he lays out the exact framework everyone on /pol/ needs in order to objectively call certain cultures SHIT. Reminder not to dismiss him off hands because of "fedora" memes. Be better than that and read him for yourself.

Please check page 108, The Problem with Islam
http://www.popeye-x.com/downloads/other/Sam.Harris.-.The.End.of.Faith.pdf
>>
>>56750940
So is every government in the ME, Iran just happens to be the lesser of all the evils. Gotta ask yourself why the US and their friends claim to hate ISIS to much, yet are sniffing Saudi knickers every chance they get, who far more people per year than ISIS, and are not only supporting them military, but also ideologically. Iran and Lebanon are literally the only countries in the ME that are actively fighting against ISIS, rather than simply trying to contain them within Syria where they can do the Saudis/Qataris/Israelis/Turkey's, etc. job for them in killing Assad and the Shia government/military there.
>>
>>56751033
>s/ought problem? who cares? ME! I'm going to write a whole book about it!

ftfy
>>
>>56751129
>that pic
>literally victim blaming

O Y V E Y
Y

V
E
Y
>>
>>56751312
>Am ethnic jew calling out jews on their jewing in a best selling book

BASED
B
A
S
E
D
>>
>>56748674

Fucking nonwhites
>>
>>56751262
Let us see it then, sauce?

I'd be actually curious to hear how he goes about that one, since it's not something I've yet to see him really address when he does his debates.
>>
>>56747480
>identifies himself as liberal.
true
>All his views on policies are regressive (KILL,RAPE,NUKE) the middle east
false
>Extremely racist
false
>Champions and white knights Christianity and the Jews
false
>Full of contradictions
false

1/5 australia, looks like you are getting better at this "posting" thing
>>
Sam Harris is so calm because he's really into meditation.

If you want to hear him angry (or as angry as he can get) listen to this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYUPr6cH294
>>
>>56751129
This guy knows.
If you only know Sam Harris though what's written about him by regressive liberals, you've been conned by liars and shills.
>>
>>56751550
The Moral Landscape is a book length explanation on why a scientific understanding of the brain will in theory, in the future, be able to further dissolve the is/ought distinction. One main thesis is that facts and values intertwined to the point that the wall is broken down.

I would just highly recommend reading the book. One thing I noticed a lot on /pol/ is how little people read. Sometimes it's best to hear a great argument straight from the author's hand.
>>
>>56751129

> objective morality

> No God

K keep me posted
>>
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 1280x697) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 1280x697
>>56752013
Why are Americans so stupid? you guys and your religion, man.. Why do you ensist on being so dumb, like srsly I don't get it..
>>
File: single_102-334928IMG_8907.jpg (139 KB, 633x950) Image search: [Google]
single_102-334928IMG_8907.jpg
139 KB, 633x950
>>56752013
You should probably just read the Moral Landscape. He begins by laying out how and why morality is the domain of the happiness and suffering of conscious things. He then moves into the meat with "the worst misery for everyone" and works his way up from there. Basically, if there are any facts to be known about how to move across the landscape to a peak of well-being, then we can begin to explain why certain people, and the cultures they build are worse than others.

It's a book length topic and you better believe he meets all the subtle questions I'm sure you have now. Deff read it if that's still what you think about morality.

>>56751891
He also did a great job explaining the lack of free will and untangling the issue that confuses so many dumb (and smart) people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FanhvXO9Pk

please watch the whole thing everyone. I'm sure all will find it a great watch
>>
>>56752499

>Christianity relies on free will
>Ignoring Calvinists, who believe everything is 100% predetermined
>>
I love Sam but in Rome, do as romans so

>tips fedora
>>
>>56752806
He says an attack on freewill is an attack on atheists as well as the religious.
He's a smart guy, just watch the whole thing before you start meming about the irrelevant calvinists.
>>
>>56752933

Yeah I know, I'm familiar with Harris's arguments.

There are lots of great philosophers who explain why free will is absurd, but he's not one of them.
>>
>>56752499
The shit he says about thinking of people that do you wrong in the same way you would think of a bear that attacked you helped me walk away from terrible situations with no hangups.
>>
For anyone interested I've found Maajid Nawaz speaks the most truth and has the best idea on how to deal with radical islamists

>highly critical of Obama's handling of the situation
>Liberal, has run for office in London
>former jihadist who went to jail in Egypt for a number of years as a result

This guy's smart as hell and makes a tonne of sense, I like Sam Harris too though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EqSuNewrQs
>>
>>56747480
>Also what is his autism levels at?

His autism levels are pretty high. Sometimes I hear him say something and I know how it's going to get twisted in the liberal media.
The fact that he keeps on getting himself into these situations demonstrates a certain level of autism.
>>
File: 1445471250659.jpg (165 KB, 439x550) Image search: [Google]
1445471250659.jpg
165 KB, 439x550
>>56753363
Or blind passion
at least he tempers it with calmness. Him and Hitchens were a perfect pair for Islam-ass-blasting

Harris had the moral philosophical arguments on why Islam was shit and Hitchens had the deep historical, boots-on-the-ground perspective of the universal destructiveness of islam.

I'm glad harris is young because dawk is old as fuck too and soon it's just going to be harris vs islam and all the keks of europe
>>
>>56752499

Anyone interested in free will really ought to go deeper than Sam Harris. The scientific basis for his arguments are pretty dubious. The Libet experiment is heavily disputed, for instance.

I don't believe in free will either, for the record. I just think Harris is shit.
>>
>>56755261
recommendations?
>>
>>56755555
checking those quints
>>
>>56755555

Wittgenstein is pretty good. Also Spinoza

inb4
>jews

Also nice quints brah
>>
He's just another Neocon Jew propagandist.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.