[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there actually anything wrong with being patriotic? My liberal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
File: 1447081952618.jpg (114 KB, 925x519) Image search: [Google]
1447081952618.jpg
114 KB, 925x519
Is there actually anything wrong with being patriotic?

My liberal friends love to show their distaste whenever I express my love for my country. They always say that patriotism is too close to nationalism and that nationalism is bad.

They say that because the founding fathers were racist and sexist that admiring them makes you racist and sexist too.

My favorite part is when I point out that life in America is better than anywhere else they agree with me, then they pull this shit "just because it's better than ever where else doesn't make it the best"

What kind of logic is that? Thats literally the definition of best. And they admit that America is the best place to live but still think patriotism is bad.
>>
There is something wrong with being blindly patriotic because it leads to a weak nation.
I just pull the "my family left mexico because we love this country" card and call them racists if they try anything.
It's like a reversal on their bullshit
>>
>>55376129
It's called Marxism.
>>
>>55376129
>They say that because the founding fathers were racist and sexist that admiring them makes you racist and sexist too
This is what our children learn in high school and college. The system is dead.

OP, I'm patriotic and a nationalist - but for the way the country is SUPPOSED to be, not for how it is. I'm a hardcore constitutionalist - its the perfect document and framework for running a country but it's been badly abused and misinterpreted by the establishment to overstep their bounds and take away our liberty.
>>
>>55376129

Being patriotic doesn't make sense. Nationalism is rooted in genetics, shared culture and the empirical fact that people with different genetics and culture just don't get along well.

But to be proud of the actions of your government is sociopathic, and to be proud of the actions of random strangers who happen to live within the same arbitrarily defined border as you makes no sense.
>>
>>55376617

Build wall, Pedro.
>>
>>55376839
I do support building a huge ass wall, yes.
>>
>>55376784
But the constitution was written to only apply to white men, that's why we needed amendments specifically applying to women and blacks :^)

Actual argument I've heard used before.
>>
>>55376129
Liberals trying to beget anti-patriotism are the useful idiots of George Soros....
>>
>>55376804
You don't seem to know what patriotism is.
>>
>>55376804
>being proud of maintaining the greatest nation on earth.
>doesn't make sense

you're the cancer which is destroying our nation.
>>
>>55377670

Considering OP himself made the distinction, I'm using patriotism in the sense of "love for one's country" and nationalism as "love for one's nation".

Loving a country makes no sense. You can endorse the ideas of freedom that this country was founded upon, but promoting the country itself is irrational at best and dangerous at worst if the country strays from those ideas.
>>
>>55376129
>this carpet I'm standing on is the best in the world
>somehow that makes me better even though I played no part in making it
>>
>>55377922
Found the retard
A country isnt a carpet though. A country is made of the people. the people arent just standing there.
>>
>>55376129

>Liberal friends

Time to get new ones OP
>>
>>55377883
The government is not the country.
>>
>You like your country and don't want to have its heritage ruined by immigrants? You're just like Hitler, because you're on our side and that means you're on the Hitler's side, bigot!
>You like pants? Oh, that's great, you know who also liked pants? Hitler.
>>
>>55376804

C. U. C. K.
>>
>>55378018
Alright, enlighten me. What part did you play in the making of this carpet?
>>
>>55376129
I'll be your friend op.
>>
>>55378175

>Nationalists are keks.
>>
>>55378186
I vote, I pay my taxes and I believe in what this country stands for. I love this country.
If you're too dumb to understand that you can go to hell.
>>
Patriotism and Nationalism are required for a cohesive, united nation.

Overabundance of it leads to unfounded hubris in something that does not physically exist and will lead people to make irrational choices.
>>
File: warped.jpg (139 KB, 359x370) Image search: [Google]
warped.jpg
139 KB, 359x370
thumped
>>
>>55378319
Literally every single person in the world pays taxes.
>>
People who say "I'm not proud of my country!" usually say that with an asterisk, meaning they're simply petulant children that -want- something from society and aren't getting it.

ie:
>"I'm not proud of my country!"
>why?
>"Institutional racism!"
>what does that buzzword soup even mean?
>(proceed to get a long chiding diatribe which ultimately leads up to the point of their argument—wanting free money)
>>
>>55378502
Except Greeks and Muslims living in Europe.
>>
>>55378502
Holy shit you're stupid
>>
>>55377922
It's not about yourself in any way, it's about appreciating your homeland.
>>
>>55376129
neither patriotism nor nationalism is 'bad'. what the fuck kinda arguments do they have to make such a claim?
>>
>>55378524
Maybe I say I'm not proud of my country because I don't like how it's headed?
>>
>>55378840
Then your problem is with the government, not the country.
>>
>>55376129
They can pretend to hate their country as much as they want but we both know they would HATE living anywhere else.

The only people that truly believe that are those idiots that want to remove everyone that doesn't believe what they believe.
>>
File: 1418400856676.jpg (73 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1418400856676.jpg
73 KB, 413x395
>>55378600
>It's not about yourself in any way, it's about appreciating your homeland.

I think we "appreciate" the US just fine. Hep me Murka, hep me.

Murka: No. We'd rather help corporations. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>55376129

You're wrong. Patriotism sucks. Fuck the country.

Now nationalism, that's some shit I can get behind. I fucking love the nation, that is the blood and soil.
>>
>>55378548
>>55378552
>>55378600
Paying taxes is like shitting or sleeping. Literally everyone does it. How is this specific to a certain country?
>>
>>55378867
I'm not particulary proud of the American people or the American culture either.
>>
>>55376129

Come on, it's 2015 already!

It's time to keel over and let the globalists take over, you racist anti-semite.
>>
>>55378943
>>55378990
>the government is the country :^)
>>
>>55376804
you seem to be under the imperssion that America operates on the same level of nationalism (which is essentially just tribal or clan pride extrapolated out to a certain point) as Europe or Asia.
>>
>>55379023
>Being this fucking retarded
>>
>>55376129
>is there anything wrong with supporting a country that is corrupt to the bottom, poisons and kills its own people, tortures illegal political prisoners every day, invades whatever sovereign nations they want, destroys the environment, and routinely drags the world with them in an unending economic death spiral

as >>55376617 says, blind patriotism is fucking retarded, if you love america as it is today you are evil, you support people who literally worship the devil and wants us all dead

only americans have this indoctrination in school, from their parents and the media that they and their country can do no wrong, you'd have more realistic views about your country if you lived in north korea
>>
>>55379587
When at any point did I imply support for the government?
>>
File: sokrates.jpg (55 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
sokrates.jpg
55 KB, 431x450
>>55379587
This one has a good deal of sense.
>>
>>55379820
the people? not much better, entitled, dumb, fat whiny bitches, unrealistic amounts of crime and violence

american culture is one of stupidity and ignorance
>>
>>55379991
American culture is about self reliance and independence, the idea that anyone can make with their life what they want.

Modern America is a disappointment, corrupted and broken. It doesn't mean the idea of America isn't great though. We've just strayed from that ideal.

I hate out government and I can't stand a lot of our people, but the land itself, a place of immense natural beauty, and the concept behind it as I interpret it is something I can be proud of.
>>
>>55376129
>Is there actually anything wrong with being patriotic?
there isn't a distinguishable difference between patriotism and nationalism

just because you say you only support the good things your country does and condemn the bad when both are subjective is bullshit, americans invented the distinction so they could get away with remaining nationalist while condemning nazism after ww2
>>
>>55379587
If Europe was more nationalistic you wouldn't be having the problem you are now.

Even Americans fell for the "everyone is welcome this country is yours!" meme, and look where its gotten all of us.
>>
>>55379587
>Says the same person who cries out that mutter merkel is doing horrible misdeeds for Muh Europa xdd
shove it, fucker. you and the rest of the western euopeans can rot in the ground for being enormous fuckups.
>>
>>55380751
Europe its not one state , it has different Ethnic peoples so it doesn't have one nationality
>>
>>55381131
Wow you don't fuck say, thanks for the insight Albania..
>>
File: dumbasses.jpg (49 KB, 500x746) Image search: [Google]
dumbasses.jpg
49 KB, 500x746
>>55380831
>shove it, fucker. you and the rest of the western euopeans can rot in the ground for being enormous fuckups.

Good goy!!!
>>
>>55378186
I am part of the fucking carpet you retard. We special snowflakes looking down on the fabric of history, we are a knots within the fabric
>>
>>55381765
*We are not
>>
>>55381253
I've seen this image like 5 times now all in different threads.
Even the way it is worded sounds like it was made by a new fag
>>
Time to find new friends?
Shouldn't be a problem for an alpha male specimen like you.
>>
Liberals are limp wristed keks that are too afraid to say something that may offend someone.

Seriously, that's why they aren't patriotic. They don't want other nations to think that they think they are better than them.
>>
File: flag.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
flag.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>55376129
Yes, having a national identity is absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>55380831

the only response the american knows is to bang his chest, shout insults and pretend to be big

logic and reason are alien concepts
>>
>>55376129
>Is there actually anything wrong with being patriotic?
Depends. Nationalism typically leads to a bunch of dickheads oppressing people.

But it can also help win wars and motivate people.

>My liberal friends love to show their distaste whenever I express my love for my country. They always say that patriotism is too close to nationalism and that nationalism is bad.

. . . Yeah, patriotism is pretty much a synonym for nationalism. You like you nation. That's all it is.

Them saying that nationalism is always bad is a bit of a blanket statement.

>They say that because the founding fathers were racist and sexist that admiring them makes you racist and sexist too.

Well that's bullshit. Some of them were quite progressive. "Progressive" for their time being, hey how about someone other then the king have a turn dicking the poor?

But no, the enlightenment was in full swing and things were getting better. Jefferson is a great example. Not paticularly racist, but he has slaves running his plantation. Because that's how you made money in the day.

The southerners at the time were full-on racist fucks. And to get them on board with the nation thing, there was the great compromise. Which is an important lesson about what has to happen to get differing groups of people to help one another. But the notherners fought on the other side leading to the need for a compromise. So they weren't all bad.

>My favorite part is when I point out that life in America is better than anywhere else they agree with me, then they pull this shit "just because it's better than ever where else doesn't make it the best"

Oh come on, you KNOW you're misquoting that. Just because it's better then it was, doesn't make it good. Or as good as it could be. If they actually argued for this as you're literally saying then they're fuckheads, but come on dude, don't be a dickhead.
>>
No a patriotic populace is essential to keep a nation healthy.
Apathy and hatred of your country will lead to it coming apart and being replaced by another.

However being a flag waving retard who thinkns his country is the best in the world and hating all foreigners is retarded too.

There are people who realise patriotism is a healthy thing and retards who just hate everyone who isn't like them. Don't be the latter.
>>
>>55382288
>Apathy and hatred of your country will lead to it coming apart and being replaced by another.

As will a blind eye to it's failings.

Instead of apathetic and hate, about about a general feeling of discontent. Like we could do better.
>>
>>55382229
Not a misquote. They've literally said "just because America is a better place than the rest of the world doesn't make it the best"

I mean seriously.
>>
>>55382005

I showed my dad this and he about flipped his shit. He isn't German but taught English there for about a decade and really grew to love the country back in the mid-nineties.
>>
>>55382589

I think what they meant to say is just because something is the best* doesn't mean it's perfect

*>implying it is
>>
>>55376129

ask them if nationalism is bad for "oppressed" people.
>>
>>55382589
Well then they're fuckheads. Go get some better friends.

Or point out their logical mistake and ask what the fuck they really meant.
>>
Reminder you can still see flaws in something and still love it. Nothing is stopping a patriot from recognizing and trying to fix issues in the government.
>>
File: 1443144461770.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1443144461770.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>55376129
Patriotism is a very good thing.
I don't like our government much at all, but I love our country. I love the land, (most of) the people, and Cajun food. The only things to despise about our nation are the fuckheads in congress and the vocal minority bent on fucking over our culture.

>tfw no woman of the year this year
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.