[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/STEM/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 29
File: STEM-Logo.jpg (36 KB, 825x490) Image search: [Google]
STEM-Logo.jpg
36 KB, 825x490
Reminder that STEM is not a meme

/pol/ approved jobs
>Nuclear physicist
>anything with energy (chemical, nuclear, electrical)
>mechanic
>engineer
>software developer
>lawyer
>web developer
>accountant
>Operations research anaylist
>IT manager
>app developer

Reminder that if you do not get a degree in STEM/Business/Law you are wasting money
>>
>Business and Law
>Being a Lawyer
>Being an accountant

Toppest of all keks.
>>
Energy Systems electrical engineer reporting in
>>
>>57352036
No bully now please, but is MIS a meme degree? I know it's a business degree, but it is a four year program from a decent university and the curriculum involves a lot of programming. Really I didn't just want to deal with all the autism associated with a computer science degree. I know I won't just be able to get a job with it right out of college, but it is easy enough to get some of the needed certifications while still in school. The median income for somebody holding a bachelors degree in MIS is about 68 thousand, and the unemployment rate is something like 6 percent. Thoughts?
>>
Comp Sci here, what is best job for me? I'm doing my upper division, but I have a little extra time to focus on a field.
>>
>lawyer
>web developer

nuclear physicist is pretty useless too outside of the Navy tbqhwyf
>>
>>57353625
If it's a decent business school that actually teaches some programming then yes. I was going to pick up some information systems courses at my uni but my business school is dog shit compared to the eng faculty.

I just asked in the intro course if there would be any actual programming or IS design and they said only in 4th yr.
>>
>>57353713
pay low to high: ml/stats/big data, systems, backend, web dev, testing, mobile/apps, v*deo games, qa, help desk
>>
>>57354091
*high to low
>>
>tfw all the top surgeons in the hospital I work at earn well into the 6 digit range
K den tbpqh senpai
>>
>>57354091
So math and stats it is I guess. I'm making a stock buying machine anyway, so that should help in that area.
>>
>190k per year

>no malpractice insurance

>got paid to go to grad school so no loans

>everyone thinks i'm a doctor

Physics is the way to go m8s
>>
File: 1446093921192.png (472 KB, 1312x978) Image search: [Google]
1446093921192.png
472 KB, 1312x978
>Life Flight helicopter pilot
I may not be important in the long run, but its good money and I help people, was a pilot in the Army and teach a few kids to fly in my spare time
>>
Is being a RN then CRNA afterwards a good stem career path compared to electrical engineering?
>>
>>57354385
Good fucking luck competiting with the wall street algorithms
>>
>>57354536
sounds cool af senpai
>>
>>57353878
I go to UTSA, which is decent and regarded as having one of the best business programs in the UT school system. I just changed my major to MIS, and the first semester I'm going to be taking at least two intro programming classes in addition to some business core.
>>
>>57352036
Why only nuclear? What's wrong with solid state or optics?
>>
>>57353365
being an it manager, software developer, or anything else related to autism computers
>>
>>57353365
Only crooks make money off being an accountant or lawyer, or in fact, accomplish much of anything in these fields. The very existence of lawyers is a troubling indicator of the state of law, and quite possibly the cause, or at least the biggest perpetuator, of said problems. I mean, someone who specializes in knowing the rules? And not only that, but the system is so complex that they can only really hope to know a small part of the rules.
>>
>>57352036
>>lawyer
thank god, I don't know what I would do if /pol/ didn't validate my choices.
>>
>>57353365
Give back the canal you fuck
>>
>>57354428
>tfw you always had a huge interest in physics and would spend hours reading physics related wikipedia articles when you got home from school
>tfw horribly suck at math

Maybe if I had gone to a decent high school with a decent math education things would have turned out differently. I mean I'm only 20 and a sophomore in college, so I have plenty of time to educate myself as much as I desire, but changing majors is pretty much out of the question since I don't want to waste my credits and take out loans for college. Do you have any suggestions regarding self education? I honestly don't "hate" math, but I'm essentially still at the Algebra level and what I've seen so far is rather boring. I've heard higher level math courses can be quite interesting, but I'm not sure if I can really teach myself using Khan academy and torrented textbooks.
>>
>>57352036
Who has the math major picture?
>>
Why is welder/metal worker not on this list?
>>
>>57352036

As someone with a degree in physics and astrophysics, I always feel offended when useless firewall-arranging, office-bound IT faggots start these threads and lump themselves in with the hard sciences and engineering. Chemistry isn't even on the list, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>57354091
Entry level application developers have a lot higher earnings potential if they go to a hot company.

At 5+ experience level though I agree.
>>
you'd think /pol/ would approve of first responders
>>
>>57355488
It's not a degree?
>>
>>57355557
Haha dude I'm gonna be an epic programmer
>>
>>57355643
It's a list of pol approved jobs. Welding and construction are definetly pol approved jobs
>>
>>57352036
Mech eng reporting in.
>tfw want to leave and go work in the US but it's damn hard to go there legally
>>
>Physicist
What does on in this position do? I can't imagine the need. We already have some brilliant people in this field. What does it help to have more if they can't actually outperform?
>>
File: image.jpg (261 KB, 1024x687) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
261 KB, 1024x687
>mfw I'm a mechatronics engineer and my job is managing the automation of a factory which still uses manual labour
Really thinking ai should have taken the chinks offer now, if I'm honest
>>
>>57355557
>astrophysics
Not much in the way of employability but it's definitely a degree I can respect. Why did you choose it?
>>
>>57352036

business major here

it's fucking useless, seriously, absolutely useless

you can learn more about business by reading a couple of books, watching shark tank and applying for a job at an amazon fullfilment center than by "studying" business for 5 years in university

every decent professional I've ever met has a background in engineering, tech or at least economics, everyone else is a waste of space

the manager position and the business degree together form the biggest pyramid scheme of modern capitalism, you pay money to learn jack shit all for the promise of a menial useless job down the line in hopes it'll pay back your investment somewhere in the long term (it won't, not unless you realize you fell for the pyramid scheme, move your ass and go learn something else of use)
>>
>>57355825
University's have an endless slush fund because of the ridiculous prices they charge to attend. They literally throw away money at employees doing mainly meaningless research or replicating old research, not many people doing anything original
>>
what tier is lab tech pol?
>>
>CG Animator with tenured position
>~60k/year
>Comfy as fuck

Granted I'll never make 6 figures, but I'm doing a lot better than most people who try to get into my field.
>>
>>57355983
I'm majoring in finance. and minoring in economics. Am i approved for you?
>>
>>57355596
the market's oversaturated, app devs are a commodity. it does pay well at high-end SV companies but it'll only take you so far - and if you can make it to google/etc you're better off doing something else.
>>
>>57355953

I liked physics and I knew it would be a challenge. And your Average Joe (the HR people) are always impressed by it.

In the UK, it's a little different from the US in that all the big firms' grad programs will take people from any degree discipline - the Big 4, oil companies etc. only usually specify that you have a "numerate" degree so you're not locked into only doing physics jobs when you get a physics degree and you can apply for most "business" positions with it.

Over half of physics students here end up in the financial sector, working at IBs, accountancy firms, consultancy firms - shit like that.
>>
File: 1319926457693.png (299 KB, 385x507) Image search: [Google]
1319926457693.png
299 KB, 385x507
>>57356093
>60k/year
Get a load of this poorfag
>>
>>57355983
It depends on WHAT business major you're getting.

Also of course you didn't learn anything in college you live in fucking Brazil.
>>
>>57355768
Try grad school, if you're young.
>>
>>57356129

get balls deep into the math and statistics and you'll be okay

all the god tier jobs in valuation and risk assessment require it, in fact you'll compete with STEM fags
>>
>>57356352
I'm also in my early 20's, to be fair. Gotta start somewhere!
>>
>>57352036

Actually my college degree is free because I was in the military. So I can major in whatever I want for free. So fuck you.
>>
>>57356129
Focus on math and become an actuary
>>
who /compsci/ here?
>>
>>57353365
fuck off canalnigger
>>
>no MD on list
>meme jobs/shit jobs on it

to the trash it goes
>>
>>57356910
still a good job, but not STEM
>>
>>57356910
>MD
>Spend so much time in school when you get out to the work force you have insane debt because of that jew interest
>Spend so much time in school all your friends have years worth on money earned
>Spend so much time in school your high starting salary is meaningless because everyone is getting paid for being experienced at similar rates to MDs
Isn't the only job available to you drug smuggling anyway?
>>
>>57357053
.........?
>>
"/pol/ approved jobs"
>web dev
>Anything with videogames
>Smartphone shit *weed dude lmao

You can grab money with this, doesn`t mean it is useful for the society

>>57357196
>Zero debt, not live in america
>Have a license to print money, also great social status for being a doc
>Have an real impact on the live of others, "experienced" is not 6 years

> drug smuggling. Only america have ads to sell drugs as tic-tac pills. Also, pills a small part of medicine
>>
Only autistic people have these jobs.
>>
>>57352036
Should I even bother with Business?
>>
>mfw electrical engineering graduate in USC
>>
>>57357745
Fuck no, refer to >>57355983
>>
>>57357745
If you have connections then yes
>>
>>57352036
>>web developer
>software developer
>IT manager
>app developer

>wasting money

also a waste of money, better employment, but waste of money, read a book nigga
>>
File: 1448561355822.jpg (39 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
1448561355822.jpg
39 KB, 300x360
>27
>keep telling myself for sure I'll start college this year
>don't have any interests in any job fields
>would probably fail the first semester since I never developed any study habits
>>
The true is, there is three major fields and each one has it's best:

Humanities: History, Philosophy and Law
Biology: Medics, Pharma and Agriculture
STEM: Engineers, Math and Physics

If you are not into one of these, your graduation is to suply one of them
>>
>>57358158
threre are** and other grammar mistakes by me monkey. It's 6 am here
>>
>>57352036
I thought /pol/ approved of trades?
>>
>>57358010
Are you just a neet now or a wagekuck? What do you do in your free time even?
>>
>>57358368
9 year megaNEET
plenty of pirated media to keep me busy
>>
File: 9uNwm.jpg (74 KB, 500x563) Image search: [Google]
9uNwm.jpg
74 KB, 500x563
>>57352036
STEM is truly the path to secure and well respected job.

Climatologist here.
>>
>>57359309
Lol, have fun being a weatherman at some kek local news station
>>
>>57355825
You know how people grow old and eventually die right? Teaching the new generation of physicists is just as important as current research.
>>
File: 20151203_092830.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20151203_092830.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Web developer reporting in
>>
>>57359655
I'm already working for the military though.
>>
>>57359709
>Web dev
>STEM
My friend went to CC to her web dev degree.
>>
>>57359709
What languages do you specialize in?
>>
>>57352036
>Reminder that if you do not get a degree in STEM/Business/Law you are wasting money

Should replace business with just accounting.
>>
File: 1449117292171.png (892 KB, 1027x1515) Image search: [Google]
1449117292171.png
892 KB, 1027x1515
That sounds like a lot of work. I'll take my social security checks, thank you. And thank you for your taxes.
>>
File: 1445216134919.jpg (185 KB, 1100x654) Image search: [Google]
1445216134919.jpg
185 KB, 1100x654
>>57352036
>>
Web dev is shit. Any job working at some fancy startup in SF is shit and worthless. Even doing research into ML/DL/AI is fucked because you basically have to work for Facebook or Google or some other Jew corporation to get decent funding.
>>
>>57359817
Have fun learning Russian and being the kek weather man at a local Russian news station when Russia invades and federates Finland, bans the Finnish language, culture when they're done with Turkey.
>>
>>57359961
This would actually be a dope ass idea for a model, if he was ripped and the photo quality was good and he put the vape down right after. no homo btws
>>
>>57359709

web dev isn't stem.

it's an art degree at best
>>
>>57355745

most trades are
>>
>>57359903
Full-stack. PHP/html/javascript
>>
>>57360060
No homo would be thinking that's a good idea for a female model btw
>>
>>57360056
I don't have to work when Russia invades because they have no jobs.
>>
>>57360388
Yes, you'll have a job. This job will be polishing Dmitry's cock with your mouth on a daily basis, faggot.
>>
>>57355825
Many people with physics degrees don't necessarily work in research. Business, energy sector, medical, government hire physics graduates because of their problem solving skills, mathematical knowledge, understanding of the natural world and being able to work well with computers/other technologies.
>>
>>57360296
I'm currently in school for CS, got any tips?
>>
CS major with BIS minor here, what are my best options pol? Only 1 class into BIS, don't want to be an ITkek, should I drop BIS?
>>
>>57352036

>no biology or biochemistry
>no pharmaceuticals

god damnit you faggot moved the goal posts again
>>
>>57360697
You seem knowledgeable about this. Are there jobs in medicinal chemistry and is it a good job?
>>
File: Michelangelo-David_JB01.jpg (3 MB, 2520x3776) Image search: [Google]
Michelangelo-David_JB01.jpg
3 MB, 2520x3776
>>57360307
>Not appreciating the natural beauty of the chiseled and well maintained human body, regardless of sex

It's like you try to be an uncultured clown.
>>
>>57360570
Here's some tips learn data structures and algorithms, web dev is poorfag land relatively
Statistics are important too. Learn a variety of langues, not just OO/imperative. Learn to work well in groups
>>
File: preasu unerstandu.jpg (111 KB, 460x298) Image search: [Google]
preasu unerstandu.jpg
111 KB, 460x298
>be beaner mexicanoayylmaoarriba
>graduate in top 10% with degree in chem, with awards in my undergrad research
>grad school time
>family: "you should apply for hispanic fellowships"
>me: "i dont want bullshit handouts. i want to be measured by a unbiased standard of what is needed to be a competent scientist."
>family: "anon, you just dont get it"
>mfw
>>
>>57352036
What is your opinion on Forensic Science ?
>>
>>57360514
You are just mad that you'll never get to suck a real footlong dick. Only Chink micropenises availlable in Canada.
>>
>>57360570
Yeah. CS is very general. Try to go over the possibilities and pick your favoutire branch in the field. And start picking it from right now, that way tou will know what to focus more in your studies.
>>
>>57361020
>implying you and your whole nation aren't chinks
>>
>>57361038
Would a minor in some like Information Systems be a good choice? Or should I go towards a web design minor?
>>
File: hIMOa68.jpg (914 KB, 1599x1019) Image search: [Google]
hIMOa68.jpg
914 KB, 1599x1019
>>57360929
Still kinda homo to think of a naked man instead of a naked woman.
>>
>>57352036
As a stem graduate I am completely biased to say that yes I agree with you OP.

I only have one problem with the way things are going in today's day and age. Why can't schools stop teaching students that they HAVE to go to college? Why can't schools support the idea that college truly isn't meant for everybody?

We will always need construction workers, and the service industry.

Why must school first tell them to go to college?
>>
>>57361000
I'm not sure if you're a retard for not taking the easy way, or a better man than most.
>>57361312
We need to re-instill the idea the not going to cllege and going for blue collar jobs is a very legitimate choice, however big U would never allow that, and blue collar people will always be looked down upon so no one will want it sadly.
>>
Since physics is something I was always interested in (and had very good grades) I kinda understand why people who studied it are "offended" when they are being "lumped" with IT guys. Even though I'm an IT guy myself. Although I do feel bit better cause I'm dealing with AI/big data processing.

Still I think IT studies are better than any of those PC/SJW approved majors.
>>
>>57361284
David is perfection
>>
>>57361223
I can't decide for you tbqh. Just look all those stuff up and decide for yourself. In the end of the day it's better to have a work you love to do than one you will hate yourself for picking
>>
>>57359973
I love this image so much I want to post it on my FB and blow up my entire social/family life and possibly get fired
>>
>>57361503
If it pays well enough people will do it. Just tell people that unless they want to do some difficult STEM stuff they are better off financially doing blue collar work. If the culture on TV was more supportive of it they would do it, but people in the media are more interested in denigrating blue collar types.
>>
>>57361542
So is Sara Jean Underwood.
>>
Majoring in HR Managment. I can tell it's something you could learn on your own but businesses like to see that piece of paper saying I know my stuff.
>>
>>57360570
Learn assembly.
>>
>>57361882
Is assembly any useful? I learned Jasmin, but I can't for the life of me see how it could be useful, other than simply learning about how the architecture works.

Oh also do that MIT os161 crap, that's good practice all around
>>
>>57361882
>This

Everyone should start here.
>>
>>57361822
kek
>>
File: 1436329522376.jpg (143 KB, 955x1280) Image search: [Google]
1436329522376.jpg
143 KB, 955x1280
>graduate from school with a bachelors in business administration/ Management information systems

>have a job lined up straight out of collage because I did a 3 month internship during the summer of my last college year

>I'm now a project manager, process lead, business relationship manager, change manager, knowledge manager, continuous improvement facilitator and perform in other roles for global business intelligence for an international manufacturing corporation.

>but my co-workers don't know I'm still a NEET at heart that smokes weed erryday and jacks off to japanese black and white drawings of little boys being raped by chunky older women.
>>
>>57361503

Believe me, I wonder the same thing.In scenario one, I take the easy route, and people say, "you only got here because you are a beaneroo". I know I couldn't rightfully disagree with them. In scenario two, I choose not to and people say "Ayy, dumb beaner couldnt even take something that was right in front of him." Ultimately, I just have to make a decision that I am most willing to live with.
>>
>>57362078
college* not collage
>>
File: 1448831117070.jpg (165 KB, 860x1236) Image search: [Google]
1448831117070.jpg
165 KB, 860x1236
>web developer
>>
>>57361822
>Majoring in HR Managment
Going to make those non-white applications disappear
>>
File: 10946824703.png (851 KB, 847x633) Image search: [Google]
10946824703.png
851 KB, 847x633
>>57352036
>Supporting Trade Skills
Yeah, no. Trades will all be replaced by automation in less than decade, if not sooner. Apprenticeships are bigger scam than Liberal Arts. At least some non-STEM degrees can offer employment that robots can't do due to requiring creativity. Mechanics, plumbers, electricians and construction workers will soon have no place in modern society. I will not respect them because their careers are a dead end.

By the year 2030, no one will even know what a trade skill is.
>>
>>57361194
Wouldn't that mean that I'll be welcome to Canada when Russians finally attack?
>>
Petroleum Engineer here
>Huge starting salary
>Fuck with liberals as a job
>Opportunities to see the world
Only problem are downturns like this. I'm still working so I don't mind.
>>
File: STEMBTFO.png (18 KB, 710x220) Image search: [Google]
STEMBTFO.png
18 KB, 710x220
>spend your best days studying, doing work and around other guys
>after that, got a good chance at beta provider "I gotta good job, 401(k), muh benefits . . ."
>rule follower, things need to be done a certain way
>your CEO will likely be a liberal arts or business/finance major
>your companies founder is likely a drop out
>very unlikely to be your own boss and affording facilities, equipment, enough to make and sell a successful product
>Dilbert life, pic related
Idk man
>>
>>57362079
You probably made the right one, after all if you can make it without it you'll be stronger than if you took it, and if your couldn't you won't be ready for the real world.
>>57361708
I was thinking of going into electrical work but then I thought I would have a hard time getting that pussy. I feel really bad for those types of folks, doing real honest hard work that requires real knowledge, yet they get looked down on while Gender studies CVCK get treated like geniuses because they can regurgitate words from a book
>>
>>57362152
First thing I'm looking at is male or female
>box that says "other" is checked
>straight into the trash
>>
>>57362173
You must be really sheltered if you think that. Specialized technicians at very valuable.
>>
>>57362282
Have you tried not being a beta and being good with girls? Being rich doesn't make you a beta provider, being beta will make you one either way, only difference is rich betas get hotter sloots.
>>57362114
>web devs think they're real computer scientists, can't even do basic math
>>57362173
>Most apprenticeships are payed for
>a scam
>muh Kurzweil "computers will bring back daddy" bullshit
>muh jobs being taken by machines so corps can make money is a good thing
>>
>>57357984
Those are all high paying jobs. How is pursuing a career in any of those wasting money?
>>
>>57362568
Not everyone likes math senpai. If there is are jobs in the programming/application developing field that us anons who are shit at math can pursue, then why should we be put down for it?
>>
>>57362568
>engineers
>rich
um . .
also, sucks that the only point you replied to was that one
>>
>>57352036
>Artist/designer for vidya
>career forever safe from automation
Feels fucking amazing
>>
>>57363525
You get paid way less and you don't need college, especially a four year uni to do it. Every person I've ever met who did web dev successfully did it on their own or as a two year CC thing. Also for real Comp Sci the math you need isn't even too high level and won't come up often, it's probably smarter if you can power through the math to just do it and get a higher paying job
>>
>>57352036
>graduate as a physicist (worked on fusion experiments for 3 years or so)
>get $500/month
>apply as an engineer-developer at a rocket factory
>get $500/month
I dare you tell me that science and engineering aren't memes.
>>
>tfw left school in yr 10 due to bullying
>didnt learn any math beyond algebra
>interested in economics and programming cause muh potential for inflated profits from muh apps
>studying law cause its the only thing i can do thats high paying that doesnt require mathematics

im just gonna keep trying to start up low capital businesses and hope they pay off.
>>
>>57363591
Fine, I'll do a point by point review why it's bs
>>57362282
>best days
>because 18-21 is so much better than 21-14
Tech women tend to be either super redpilled or super bluepilled btw, so you can get prime waifu if you're lucky
>rule follower
>Because all those careers that aren't the very very top are so free of major rules
STEM people at least mostly just have to deal with people who are also STEM as their bosses because of the culture they force
>Your CEO will likely be a liberal arts or business major
And 99.9999% of business majors will also have that or be working at McDonald's because business is what retards take when they want to make money (double majoring business)
>Your companies founder will be a drop out
So will yours
>Very unlikely to be your own boss
read previous two posts
>>
File: 1439477011880.gif (17 KB, 200x220) Image search: [Google]
1439477011880.gif
17 KB, 200x220
>>57363831
>$6000/year
>>
>>57364239
depressing all around it seems, money fairy pls save me
>>
File: goodguydoc.jpg (121 KB, 960x684) Image search: [Google]
goodguydoc.jpg
121 KB, 960x684
>>57357196
Being a doctor isn't about the money part. It's about the "do no harm" part.

Everyone else lives their lives selling people shit that they don't really need at best (consumer market), and outright fucking them at worst (banks, insurance, law, most jewish professions).

There are a select few professions that genuinely provide a service that people need. These are the beneficent professions.

Doctors and Nurses keep you alive.
Military, Police, and Firefighters keep you safe.
Farmers provide food.
Teachers help you to be useful.

When the question of doing as much good without hurting comes in to play, Doctors are the champions. They are the only non-maleficent profession (First, do no harm).

Doctor is the elder-god tier profession. End of story.
>>
File: Neet.jpg (142 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Neet.jpg
142 KB, 1280x720
>>57364515
Have you tried the NEET life (TM)?
But honestly working for someone isn't so bad at all, as long as you don't get sucked too hard into the wage slave mentality. I don't overwork and I spend my free time doing arts and shit that make me really happy. I hope I can some how make a living with art, but I know that having a backup in STEM is a smart choice
>>
>>57364652
Doctors are pretty god tier.

I asked my Doctor friend wtf they even study and she made out they just memorize charts. How much harder is that than any other degree?

Do you need to be good at science or math or just basic memorization?
>>
>>57363831
You live in Russia. Soviet Union would have been better for you if you didn't cause trouble to the Party.
>>
>>57363707
Having a bachelors can make you significantly more marketable, and depending on the company you can get paid more just for having a major. And a median wage of 62k a year is nothing to scoff at, not everyone needs to make six figures and you'll probably have just as much money as someone who does if you stay out of debt and don't take out loans on stupid shit you don't need. Plus web design is supposedly a very fulfilling career, according to what I've read. High job satisfaction and relatively low stress.
>>
File: ohmy.jpg (49 KB, 427x720) Image search: [Google]
ohmy.jpg
49 KB, 427x720
>>57364714
>Have you tried the NEET life (TM)?
I'VE BECOME VERY EFFICIENT ACTUALLY ;_;
Option 1: wagefriend
Option 2: kill self/starve to death/who fucking cares, it's a NEET
>not being born rich
>mfw
>tfw
>>
>>57364485
In Russia, that's practically upper class.
>>
>>57365006
No, it's not. Probably a good barman makes more there.
>>
>>57364953
>62K
How can you live like that? Do you have to dumpster dive just to eat?

But nah, that seems pretty reasonable, though it's not like going into web dev would make you take out any less loans. I would still suggest looking at some of the math just so you can at least get the gist of it, you don't even need to go calculus level hard.
>>
>>57365006
No. That's "at least I can put food on my table" class.
>>
>>57365269
How does money even work in gommunist russia?

Is it really like how we hear in America where Doctors are treated the same as Mailmen?
>>
>>57352036
>>app developer

Enjoy your never-gonna-be-exercised options in a doomed mobile startup
>>
>>57352036
No Medicine?
>>
>>57363401
because you could literally learn all of those from a fucking youtube video and stack overflow. tech is the least degree-demanding field. 4 years of hard-coding > 4 years of jacking off or whatever else uni students
>>
>>57365461
>How does money even work in gommunist russia?
In the exact same way it does in pagan america. You receive it for work or trade mainly, then use it for trade or to buy services.

Make your questions clear, please.
>>
>>57365572
>implying i dont pay poo in streets developers 3k to develop my apps and i own 100% of IP and 100% of company shares

its just fucking impossible to get them to do anything properly. you really do get what you pay for, and being a student i cant afford the 30k the anglosaxon startups want to build apps.
>>
>>57358158
>history
>philosophy

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

GO TO THE FUCKING LIBRARY ON THE WEEKEND AND BORROW A BOOK.

YOU'RE FUCKED IF YOU'RE NOT STUDYING A MARKETABLE SKILL.

LIKE WE FUCKING NEED HISTORIANS WHEN EVERYONE HAS WIKIPEDIA IN THEIR POCKET.

LIKE WE FUCKING NEED PHILOSOPHERS WHEN EVERY FUCK WITH A TWITTER ACCOUNT CONSIDERS THEMSELVES TO BE HUME
>>
>>57352036
>if you do not get a degree in STEM/Business/Law you are wasting money

I guess my Finance degree has been a total waste, then. inb4 considered "business" inb4 jew accusations
>>
Navy Clearance Diver here. I make 100k a year. It's pretty good.

I generally dislike the military, but I love diving. So whatever. Plus the pay is amazing for how little work I do.
>sit on ship all day long doing whatever
>go swim around in the ocean for a few hours
>come back and do nothing again
>occasional go out to shoot at pirates or random fuck you missions for asian savages in the islands
I'll be in India in a few weeks. Then we going to South Africa. Then we going to Hawaii for a couple weeks to do some kind of joint navy training with America.
Gonna do some fishing and fuck qt Brown Girls
>>
File: academic profile.png (188 KB, 1096x831) Image search: [Google]
academic profile.png
188 KB, 1096x831
STEM meme confirmed. I'm on course for getting a 1:1 degree in physics. Apparently that's impressive. I could not have any less hope for the future. There is literally nothing out there except retail sector work for me.
>>
>>57366010
>physics
The problem with just hard science is there's not much of a real end product, so there are less jobs.
>>
>>57362282
>make cashmoney
>have life outside work
>pretend you give a shit about land rights for gay whales
>bang hot sluts erryday
>>
>Studying a Bachelor of Commerce
>Majoring in Accounting
>Majoring in Finance
>Studying a Diploma of Mathematical Sciences alongside this.
I hope I did the right thing.
>>
Guys i think i fucked up
I picked Mechanical Engineering Technology instead of Mechanical Engineering without looking into it that much
What do
>>
>>57366330
meh there are so many fin/acc/biz grads out there you'll need something else to distinguish you
>>
File: file.gif (2 MB, 400x308) Image search: [Google]
file.gif
2 MB, 400x308
>>57352036
>app developer

You just sent my sides into orbit
>>
>software developer
>web developer
>IT manager
>app developer

Literally Indian tier. Com.Science turds who think their major is on par with Engineering/Math make me laugh.
>>
>>57364778

It's the fact that the techniques that you have to learn are much less cut-and-dry and much more difficult to learn, and they have a tremendous knowledge base required to understand them.

Nurses, for example, like EMTs, are not expected to understand organic chemistry to a significant degree. They are told what to do in very simple step by step terms and they are expected to follow instructions. Anyone who has a talent for rote memorization could do this. However, as any nurse or doctor knows, instructions are often diluted from person to person and if you don't understand exactly why you are doing some technique you may apply it to the wrong situation. Nurses, acting on their own, make a great deal of mistakes and lose their jobs because they overestimate the relevancy of what they have learned.

The simple fact is that to learn every technique for treating the human body by rote memorization is impossible. Instead, doctors are taught treatment NOT as a step-by-step process but as a "language". The most important part of learning this language is knowing when the commonly used step-by-steps, which the doctor also knows, are incorrect.

Think of it this way. A great deal of people can speak English, but not very many people actually understand the rules and mechanics of the language. For most purposes, the simple memorization of phrases for communication will suffice. But let's say you have someone who is going to kill his self, and in order to prevent his suicide he needs to receive a letter that conveys exactly the right message -- it's tone must be perfect, the meaning of the sentences must be completely clear, and it can have no grammatical errors. Your average English speaker could not write this letter by combining phrases he has memorized. You need a master who commands every nuance of the language. That is the doctor.

It just so happens that the "language" of medicine is built in maths, physics, and organic chemistry.
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 1280x720
>>57352036
>go software
>easily transition into security
>work in army for cyber security
>while i am there get credentials as officer
>get security clearance because i am the security
>transition to work for ASIO
>now have the right to carry a gun at all times and break the law
>immunity from prosecution
>i can arrest people and detain them for a period without any reason
>i can break, enter and search private properties
>i have the authority to allow others to use weapons in certain situations
>i have no restrictions on imports
and thats where i am at 24. how are you candy asses doing?
>>
>>57366738
i bake bread.
>>
>>57366366
youre gonna be a shitty tech even though you'll spend 4 years in school probably
also you'll make 30k less
top jej
>>
>>57366683
While I have you here Ill ask you all the things I dont understand.

What were your first year classes like? What are the exams like?

Would you say Medicine is for kids who were good at Maths or Science or English or all of the above? (In Aus its the kids who get the best grades so they must be good at everything)

And finally, why are the people who are very intelligent going into a business that exposes them to the sick and infectious every other day? Why don't they go into something else when they're so smart? This final question is what makes me respect doctors so much, I assume they'd be successful in a better job which doesn't require associating with grubs.
>>
>>57366738

Honestly defense is the only way I can see someone going with IT.

> In 2002, William Wulf, the president of the National Academy of Engineering, was quoted as saying that,” The half-life of engineering knowledge… is from seven to 2½ years.” More recent estimates emphasize the low end of the range, especially for those working in IT.

The half life he's talking about here is how long until half of all the knowledge you've learned becomes obsolete. Engineers and IT people are all young guys, unless they find a way to stay valuable. Defense seems good.

Also literally Falling Down
>>
>>57363831
I know that feel bro. 30-35k after taxes is pretty much state standart for starters. Consider working for private or semi-state companies, from time to time you'll get to design very interesting things for a good buck. At least that's my plan what to do after the army.
>>
>>57352036
>reminder
>reminder
>reminder
shut the fuck up you propaganda spouting anus
go fuck big brother in the ass
>>
>>57366809
Really? are you memeing
>>
I have a degree in Management Information Systems

I can't apply to any IT job because they all require you to know 10 different programming languages and database structures and shit I never heard about in my life

Literally all I can do is consulting/analyst work in Business which works you 70-80hrs per week.

What do?
>>
>>57366896
>>57366896

>What were your first year classes like? What are the exams like?

Christ, terrible. A lot of people drop out. 1st year is responsible for the Caribbean/Mexican to American med school phenomenon. I'm not sure about Australia, but I know the way it works in America is you try to get into an American med school when you apply because American schools have high match rates with American residency programs (after med school students are basically enrolled in an apprenticeship somewhere around the country by algorithm). Mexican/Caribbean schools have abysmal match rates (students don't get matched in American residencies), but people who couldn't get into American med school enroll there in droves with the intent to transfer to Ameircan second year. The drop out rates are favorable enough to make this possible. This works because the first year classes are the same everywhere and the quality is roughly the same everywhere as well. Biochemistry, Anatomy, Genetics, etc. do not change, but doctors need to know them to build the language, so everyone learns them first year.

>Would you say Medicine is for kids who were good at Maths or Science or English or all of the above? (In Aus its the kids who get the best grades so they must be good at everything)

You have to have the kind of intellect to have excelled in Math, Science, and English, that is you have to be the kind of person who can master and apply the language of a field. You also have to be tough emotionally -- Doctors have one of the highest suicide rates of any profession. That's not to say that you can take having a patient die, you have to be able to take feeling overworked, under appreciated, and abused (not to mention forgoing any real rewards for YEARS).
>>
>>57362078

How many hours do you work?
>>
>>57367391
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/mechanical-engineers.htm

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/mechanical-engineering-technicians.htm

if only you cared when it actually mattered
doompaul.jpg
>>
>>57366896

>And finally, why are the people who are very intelligent going into a business that exposes them to the sick and infectious every other day? Why don't they go into something else when they're so smart? This final question is what makes me respect doctors so much, I assume they'd be successful in a better job which doesn't require associating with grubs.

I've met good doctors, bad doctors, happy doctors, and miserable doctors. I can tell you that the bad and miserable doctors got into medicine for the wrong reasons.

The bad doctors wanted money and they didn't really care about anything else. Now when I say "bad", I don't mean unskilled, some of these people are just businessmen through and through. They don't really give a shit about their patients.

The miserable doctors wanted money and aren't making as much as they'd like. You can imagine that working (WORKING VERY HARD!) for people you hate (patients) and not being adequately compensated would be depressing. This is the reason why most Nurses and EMTs burn out.

Good doctors always say that they got into medicine because they wanted to help people, but what they really meant is that they wanted for people to respect and like them as a person for what they did. People tend to like and respect people who help them, so these guys are usually not in it to do as many procedures as possible but actually make people better and get the satisfaction of a person saying "God bless you" and really, REALLY meaning it. When these guys have a lot of patients who like them, they're the happy doctors.

I can tell you, having someone believe that you saved their life (not always the case, but anyway) and thanking you for it, earnestly, is the best feeling that a human can experience. You ever want to actually feel like a hero and really believe it yourself, be a doctor and have someone thank you for your work.
>>
>>57368032
was meant for you >>57367503
>>
what's the point of making 100k when you have to work 90 hours a week when you could just make 60k and live comfy and find a wife that makes the other 40k?
>>
>>57368737
Cause earnings arent equal to effort when you own your own business

I can see you're not actually Germanic with that retard line of thinking
>>
>>57352036
>It Manager
>App developer
>Web Developer
>Software Developer

>STEM

Pick please.

99% of STEM people are either in the above four or in college/university. Go back to reddit for studying kek shit.
>>
>>57368844
>>App developer
>>Web Developer
>>Software Developer
which are all developers who code in a language among other things.
so you tell us 99% of stem are managers or code software

well you are WONG
>>
>>57365224
>implying I don't have mummy and daddy paying for college

Also, if you're married to someone with a similar income, that's 120k a year, minus taxes. Pretty fucking nice with no kids or car payments, just 700 a month for some shitty studio apartment and some money set aside for drugs, recreation, etc.
>>
Tfw make 80k a year and only been a commercial pilot for 5 years.

I think its pol approved until a computer that can 100% replace me is made.

>inb4 auto pilot

Auto pilot on the planes is shit it only does one thing and makes the plane fly straight by locking control surfaces.
>>
>>57369071
But you would have a mummy and daddy paying for it if it was hard comp sci, so you proved my point...

>120K
>Not 180K
It must be hard not eating lobster for every meal.
>>
>>57366738
>jealous
>considered this path
what exactly is your software background?
>>
>>57369088
>a computer that can 100% replace me is made.
that might be soon

it's one of those jobs that really can be automated quite nicely
but I think for safety reasons they will keep one man on board who can do it
so the end result is you just sit there with the other passengers and do nothing
= you get paid to fly
>>
>>57368987
Pretty much the case on places like /pol/ STEM threads.

The vast majority are

-Reddit cross-site users.
-Atheists
-Obese or Overweight
-Only marketable skill is being able to use a computer

There are probably plenty of first/second year engineering people I'm sure, but I am doubtful any of them will graduate if they are at a half decent school.
>>
File: image.jpg (538 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
538 KB, 1920x1200
Can I get a job in the U S of A as a mech engineer?
>>
are you guys seriously beta lonely faglords? there's no reason to make 300k. Do half of that and get the other half in your partner so you actually have FREE TIME.
>>
File: 14654686.png (115 KB, 200x295) Image search: [Google]
14654686.png
115 KB, 200x295
>>57352036
>app developer
>>
>>57369399
I only want to make 300k so I can give it to the poor and weak. I want to use my life helping as many people as I can. I'm not lonely, in the sense I have plenty of friends, but no matter how many girls I date or how much I do nothing fills a great emptiness I feel
>>
>>57369198
Oh I'll be perfectly honest, I just didn't want to deal with some of the bullshit associated with comp sci. It's not that I'm honestly that lazy, or particularly stupid, I just get a lot of anxiety issues with degrees In consider to be "hard", even if I could power through it with some dedication and proper time management. I've already wasted a few of my credits switching majors last year, and the Jew in me screams at the idea of picking computer science and either fucking up grade wise or not liking it in general. I am majoring in MIS, and I enjoy the mix of programming and business courses it provides. It's not exactly a stressful or terribly demanding degree, but it does feel somewhat fulfilling. Hopefully I should have decent job prospects with the proper certifications.
>>
>>57369619
It was just bant m8, if you like web dev and are willing to deal with slightly less money than go for it. Web dev still pays pretty well and there are enough jobs that people who even freelance do really well who I know. desu though, comp sci is only kinda super hard, don't let the memes scare you off too hard. But web dev is perfectly fine
>>
>>57369088
If you're making 80k a year after 5 years of flying, then you're either incredibly lucky or Canadian regional airlines treat their pilots MUCH better than American ones. It was the horror stories I read on pilot blogs about what it's actually like to be a commercial idea turned me off of the idea a while ago. Most guys who go down that path are lured in by stories of a coming pilot shortage, and the promise of a big paycheck once they sign on with a major carrier. They never tell you about the fact that the pilot shortage only applies to shitty regional carriers, who ironically only have a shortage because they treat their pilots like such complete shit nobody wants to fly for them. Making 20k a year working absolute shit hours while half a country away from home, all while desperately trying to pay off the sixty thousand dollars of debt (with interest, goy) I built up getting my certifications does not sound like a good career choice.
>>
>>57352036

Just graduated with a history degree. Enlisting to be a Navy Nuke, to pay off my student loans and earn some GI bill so I can go start an Engineering masters when I'm 32. In the meantime, there's a university (Thomas Edison something something) that offers correspondence credits for the Navy's nuke school for a nuclear engineering bachelors, so I can pick that up while I'm in the Navy.

Definitely a better plan than the teacher option I was going to go with.
>>
>studying History and English, goal is teacher
>piss easy major, lots of time for other stuff
>lectures are full of qts, no beta nerds like in STEM
>after graduation, a lifelong employment and a well-paid job await

gg STEM-fags
>>
>>57352036
pure mathematics master race
>>
>>57352036
Starting my graduate MD program (MBBS here in Aus next year). I'm not awfully smart, just hard working.

See advertisements in local paper requesting rural GP, rewards of 400k/year.

COMFY
>>
>>57369886
Why the fuck did you get a history degree?
>>
>>57371586
Kek, keep dreaming lazy faggot. You'll end up like all the other ones.
>>
>>57372509
>like the other ones

What do you mean?
>>
>>57352036
>no medical jobs
genuine faggot
>>
>>57372248

Because I liked history in high school, and I'm the first person in my family to go to college. My parents always said just go to college and get a good job. I tried to change my major to nursing at the end of the second semester of my junior year, but changing your major from a BA to a BS so late means you have to retake a bunch of the gen ed classes (since the science classes I took were for non-major, not science majors), starting with all new major classes after that, and I would have hit the excessive hours benchmark for 3 semesters, meaning I'd be paying out-of-state tuition.

Anyway, point being, I was a dumb kid with very little guidance and probably should have spent a few years working or in the military.

It's cool though. The military will pay off the loans that I do have, and then pay for my college after I get out. I just have to sign a longer 6 year contract.

C'est la vie.
>>
>>57372696
Make history cool by doing a podcast or someshit nigga

Monetize that wealth of knowledge in other ways
>>
File: 1436808130476.jpg (38 KB, 599x600) Image search: [Google]
1436808130476.jpg
38 KB, 599x600
>>57371586
I would like to teach history but that lack of confidence to speak in front of people
>>
File: here you go.jpg (9 KB, 255x198) Image search: [Google]
here you go.jpg
9 KB, 255x198
>implying I pay for my education
pleb
>>
Mechatronics engineer here.
I just started an internship at a major aerospace company.

Decent pay and great work.
>>
>>57373128
If you are good with kids, can explain stuff well and have other traits that make a "good" teacher, then go ahead and learn it.

However, if you think that you would suck, then please don't. Nothing worse than a shit teacher that blights a childs interest in a subject and cripples their education.
>>
>>57372509
Teaching in Germany pays roughly 42,000 Euro a year. Poverty line in Germany is 12,000 Euro. Teachers are also mostly male in Germany.

Not the horrible clusterfuck like it is in the United States.
>>
>>57373277
true, however it really depends on what kind of school you teach, whether you are hired by a school or a government official and in which state you live in.

In Hamburg you earn 3k € after tax as your entry wage as an official. That is very very good. However, you'll not earn that much more in your life, so if you want the big cash then go into another field.
>>
>>57359973
WELL MEMED
>>
>>57361632
DO EEET
>>
>>57373277

poverty line means nothing as it's also low in USA and people who make 60k on this board are considered poor
>>
>>57373195
Chris?
>>
>>57373055

Fuck that noise.

Teaching blows. I'd much rather read history books than teach them.
>>
File: 1267345950517.jpg (22 KB, 525x294) Image search: [Google]
1267345950517.jpg
22 KB, 525x294
>>57352036
Most STEM people are hardcore liberals though. I don't understand why you think this goes with /pol/?
Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.