[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That dress (again) & psychological manipulation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: The dress is green.jpg (40 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
The dress is green.jpg
40 KB, 300x300
I searched for 'black and blue dress psychology'. The first two pages were about the pop-sci behind it, most of which IMO was damage control for people who saw or claimed to see white and gold. Then on page three I found something interesting.

>Controlling public opinion: what the debate over ‘The Dress’ reveals

http://theconversation.com/controlling-public-opinion-what-the-debate-over-the-dress-reveals-39294

Interesting was towards the end.

It was found that a small minority of people committed to saying white and gold could shift the opinion of the majority.

Article dump incoming.
>>
>>57247451

loominati confirmed?

Article dump begins

>For a few days in late February, social media users were transfixed by a debate over the color of a dress posted on Tumblr: Was the dress blue and black, or white and gold? More than a million tweets, associated with the hashtags #thedress, #whiteandgold and #blackandblue, turned the debate into a social media phenomenon.

>Reports from the dress manufacturer now have revealed its true colors – a stylish blue and black combo – but this detail doesn’t stop us from marveling at how quickly public opinion was polarized between the two options (white and gold v black and blue).

>Moreover, if the dress is blue and black, why did so many people think it was white and gold? Many have offered biological and neurological reasons why that was the case. But our research indicates that the emergence and polarization of public opinion may be explained as an unintended consequence of people’s influence over one another.

Why do opinions spontaneously converge?

>For the last decade, computer scientists, sociologists and even physicists have been trying to understand how vast segments of the internet seem to spontaneously converge on opinions. From beliefs about the safety of vaccinations to disagreement over climate change, popular opinions continuously emerge and evolve in unpredictable ways.

>Most of what we know about this process comes from mathematical models and computer simulations. Such models, however, cannot account for the richness of human behavior, and thus fail to provide a satisfying explanation of how complex shifts in public opinion emerge.

>Fortunately, new internet technologies have made it possible to experimentally study how hundreds or even thousands of people interacting simultaneously can produce new collective beliefs.

>Recently, my collaborator, Andrea Baronchelli, and I conducted a Web-based experiment to see whether we could “grow” a large-scale shift in collective opinions.
>>
2/?

Can shifts in opinion be manufactured?

>For our study, published last month in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, we created an online naming game on our website, The Social Innovations Lab. Participants were placed into a large social network with other players, but were allowed to interact with only a small fraction of the other participants in their network.

>Each time they interacted, their goal was to coordinate with other players in an attempt to agree on a word or idea. For instance, participants in some of our studies were shown a face and asked to choose a name for it. At the same time, another player would also choose a name.

>Our aim was to see whether people would eventually start to choose names that would align with one another. The challenge was that each person was interacting with several other people, each of whom was also interacting with several others, and so on, making it very difficult for participants to figure out a common language.

>What we found was surprising: If people were connected in local networks they could easily coordinate with their friends, but a popular opinion never formed. However, if participants were placed into networks where they interacted with more strangers, everything changed. After a few rounds of play, people who had never interacted before began spontaneously coordinating on the same opinion. Once this started happening, a dominant norm quickly emerged and almost immediately, everyone in the population achieved consensus.

>These studies showed that the expansion of online social networks that provide people with greater access to new social contacts can impact not only the rate at which people converge on new public opinions, but also how democratic the process of opinion formation will be.
>>
File: 1447608040168.jpg (284 KB, 1826x767) Image search: [Google]
1447608040168.jpg
284 KB, 1826x767
Manipulating opinions on ‘The Dress’

>Enter The Dress. We wanted to know if it would be possible to manipulate the dominant opinion about the dress color – for instance, getting everyone to coordinate on “black and blue”? More importantly, we wanted to know if we could then use a small minority of people to mobilize an alternative opinion (for instance, “white and gold”) and succeed in getting everyone to agree on the new norm.

>Like a grassroots organization with a mission, we wanted to see whether we could change the consensus view on the dress.

>Using the same experimental design described above, we ran a study on March 3 to see whether changes in popular beliefs about the dress color could be mobilized by a small fraction of participants – creating a sweeping change in popular opinion about the color of the dress.

>In this experiment, we showed people the famous dress picture and let them choose from six different color options, in random order, (black/purple; white/gold; white/tan; black/blue; black/gold; and white/blue). Immediately, the entire network converged with everyone saying “black/blue.”

>We then assigned a quarter of the population to be confederates who changed their opinion to “white/gold.” At first, this minority was ignored, and the black/blue norm seemed immutable. However, after a few rounds of interacting with other players the minority began to gain traction, eventually causing a striking shift in the network. The norm went from complete agreement on “black/blue,” to half saying “black/blue” and half saying “white/gold.”

>We continued the study to see whether any further changes in popular opinion would emerge. We found, remarkably, that the minority group was able to push their view to become the dominant opinion. By the end of the last rounds, everyone in the population was saying “white/gold”! The graph below illustrates this.
>>
>>57247451
I remember I initially thought it was white and gold without reading a single comment about the debate. Then I saw a person saying it was clearly blue/black and I looked back at the picture and suddenly it was blue and black.

Pretty crazy shit.
>>
>>57247546

>The remarkable power of social interactions to shape public opinion is surprisingly flexible. Large swells in coordinated beliefs can emerge as a simple function of people interacting with one another, without any leader or particular incentive driving people’s convictions.

>But, what is even more surprising is that our studies show that as social networks become increasingly connected, it becomes much easier for a small vanguard of committed individuals to have a tremendous influence over this process, shifting the balance of public opinion from one perspective to its opposite.

It was odd that white and gold took off so rapoidly when other sites reported people seeing all sorts of colour combos.

>Interesting finds though.

I thought so. Have you ever heard of the concept of 'tipping point'?

>Minority rules: Scientists discover tipping point for the spread of ideas

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110725190044.htm

> Scientists have found that when just 10 percent of the population holds an unshakable belief, their belief will always be adopted by the majority of the society. The scientists used computational and analytical methods to discover the tipping point where a minority belief becomes the majority opinion.
>>
So how do you explain people like me who were shown the image on the left and asked to say what I see without ever seeing this shit before?

It is still a bluey white & gold to me.
>>
>>57247451
Congrats, you've learned something that's taught in even the shittiest of college psychology courses.
>>
Before manipulation began, 80% saw it as black and blue

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/02/27/its-official-dress-blue-and-black/

after manipulation this was less than half with more people saying white ang gold.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11823681.POLL__What_colour_is_the_dress__Blue_and_black_or_white_and_gold_/
>>
>>57247664

What. Specifically? Are we talking Bernays style group psychology?
>>
If you see white and gold you have degenerate genes in you.
>>
File: maindress-3.png (30 KB, 492x502) Image search: [Google]
maindress-3.png
30 KB, 492x502
>>57247598

>>57247582

Your anomalies. In the Yougov poll just 16% reported white and gold
>>
>>57247598
You're stupid
>>
File: later opnion.png (14 KB, 668x253) Image search: [Google]
later opnion.png
14 KB, 668x253
>>57247762

the later swung in favour of white and gold.
>>
File: 1449047689201.jpg (86 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1449047689201.jpg
86 KB, 300x300
Just use PS eyedropper. Left is blue/white and gold.
>>
>>57247664

Regardless of how well this may have been known in theory, this proves it actually works. A small, dedicated minority can reshape the opinion of entire groups. This seems even easier in the digital age than anyone could have imagined.

Have you seen the article about 'tipping point'?
>>
>>57247451
I remember this, I also remember how there was a huge presence on 4chan. The shills are real.

I just completely avoided this topic because it seemed retarded.

Thankfully I am resistant to think kind of bullshit and did not think for a single second that it was gold or whatever.
>>
No it reveals that shitty lighting and a shitty camera makes for shity pictures.
>>
File: not this shit again.jpg (24 KB, 470x245) Image search: [Google]
not this shit again.jpg
24 KB, 470x245
>>57247451
>>
the left still looks white and gold. it was just shitty lighting.
>>
>>57247875

blue/white. You just made that colour up.

The 'gold' was clearly just down to the lighting. On first impressions most people new this.
>>
>>57247875
That really wasn't what the debate was about. Obviously it was a shitty picture and the colors were distorted, but people had trouble figuring out whether the pic was a black/blue dress under yellow hazy lighting or a white/gold dress in shadow with a shitty filter.
>>
>>57247898

Article on Tipping point

>Minority rules: Scientists discover tipping point for the spread of ideas

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110725190044.htm

>Scientists at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute have found that when just 10 percent of the population holds an unshakable belief, their belief will always be adopted by the majority of the society.

What implications may this have?
>>
>>57248077
fags and jews need to be permanently removed from society
>>
>>57248068

>That really wasn't what the debate was about.

Key to this. I don';t want to debate the colour. It was black and blue. This was confirmed by the company that made the dress.

There IS however a supposed reason some people were seeing white and gold

This thread though is about the process of manipulation of group opinion and what implications this could have.

Can anyone think of other examples?
>>
>>57247995
Fucking white/gold shills
>>
>>57248155

Hitler once convinced an entire country of this.

In this digital age, the possibility are near endless. Before this dress, I thought that besides colour-blindness interpretation of colour was pretty objective. Well, not quite objective. But we've all grown up understanding certain frequencies are tied to certain words.
>>
>>57248250

My point, does this go to show that people can be convinced to ignore their own basic senses by group pressure?
>>
Trump is the dress..... We got one side who completely dislikes trump's attitude and another side that loves it. Over time, the more coverage and discussion takes place, the more the populace will converge in the middle.

No one is talking about Hillary, she is avoiding making headlines and no one talks about bernie, his no-attack campaign is only a whisper.

Trump, at the center of conversation and much heated debate, is constantly on the peoples minds. His name is shown everywhere. If the media wants to take him down, they have to ignore him. But they can't cause trump has Twitter and they can censor him there.

Holy shit. Say it with me. President Trump
>>
>>57248250
no i'm saying that fags and jews need to be kicked out. their minority views have obviously poisoned the mind of the majority.

it actually kind of reminds me of that cat parasite.
>>
It's blue and black. It's always been blue and black.

Anyone who says otherwise is a fucking moron. End of discussion.
>>
File: camp smiley face.png (154 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
camp smiley face.png
154 KB, 450x299
Some of you are surprised that people believe in The Narrative so much they literally see what they are told to see?
>>
>>57248278

Her campaign certainly has the 10% support required to create the 'tipping point'. Not sure how well this would work on a person though. Your opinion of a person is based much more on something personal. And individual topic politics tend to be unshakable, even in the face of mass opposition. Just see /pol/.

I'm not sure what 'big one' this could be used for. I suspect it has to be something that is relatively 'new' information, that people aren't polarised around.

For example, with a convincing enough show, could people be convinced to accept the return of christ? An alien invasion?

It also strikes me that there is something anti-objectivist/anti-positivist to all this.
>>
>>57248378
desu my eyes were retarded and say white and gold the first time i saw it.
>>
>>57248306

I knew what you were getting at.

>>57248380

This kind of did surprise me yes. It's the way, as I described above, that I thought people could trust their senses not to lie to them.
>>
>>57248278
Trump is collecting followers who are unshakable in their support who won't likely switch to another candidate whereas I feel like Bernie supporters all know that he truly doesn't stand a chance at landing the nomination over Hillary.
>>
In an older version of this thread I made, somebody mentioned the 'soviet pyramid experiment'. Anyone know what this anon was referring to?
>>
>>57247451
I never understood this shit, it's fucking black and blue.

How do you get white and gold out of it?
>>
>>57248480

I don't see how a rational sane person can see that.

But you are from Australia, so I'll just assume you're doing elaborate shitposting.
>>
>>57247898
This experiment basically explains how and why memes work.
>>
>>57247898

So basically, any idiot who thought it was white and gold is easily manipulated?

I must have this list of people, so I know who among my friends is the easiest to exploit.
>>
>>57248562
nah m8, I actually 100% saw gold and white, then i found a way to actually switch between the two like switching focus with your eyes.

was weird.
>>
>>57247451
It's light blue and brown.
>>
>>57248562
the lighting is fucked up on the original picture. it looks white and gold because of the fucked up lighting.

you're only so sure about it being blue/black because you know that it's blue and black. deal with it
>>
I've always seen purple and gold. Like a pale purple.
>>
I saw white and gold then when I looked again I saw a vision of muh six million
>>
>>57248562

> elaborate shitposting.

I suspect this was the case for a lot of 4chan. But the fact that the wider public opinion eventually grew towards near 50/50 is what seems odd to me. Obviously online opinion polls can be manipulated easily. But I heard people on BBC radio swear they saw white and gold too. And at a higher proportion than was suggested by the YouGov poll I posted above.
>>
Here's another classic experiment in social psychology which deals with the same theme of conformity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_conformity_experiments

Psychology is hella cool.
>>
I was at a bar when this dress became a thing, and I got it sent to me in an e-mail by a friend who said, "What colours do you think this dress is?"

I thought blue and black immediately, but my buddy next to me saw gold and white. I sent my phone around the room and a few people said white/gold without those options given to them by popular opinion.

Come on, guys.
>>
>>57248654

I know that it's blue and black because I'm not an idiot and can tell basic colors when I see them.
>>
File: ctfu.png (12 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
ctfu.png
12 KB, 120x120
>>57248695
well shitposted mate
>>
>optical illusion is now a conspiracy

what
>>
>>57248653

This I could just about accept people saying. There is no white on that dress though, by any stretch.
>>
>>57248721
Basic colours aren't blue and black on that picture: >>57247875

I don't understand, is this some kind of meme?
>>
>>57248721
you definitely can't. i have 20/15 vision and a very good eye for color since i'm an artist. the original picture looks white and gold.

look at op's pick and look at the two dresses next to each other. if you actually think that looks blue and black you're an absolute retard

also see here >>57247875
>>
>>57248777

What colors do you see then?
>>
This is retarded. There's no "pop-sci" behind it. It's just shitty white balance from a crappy camera phone.

The image in the left is OBJECTIVELY gold and light blue/light purple. Use a fucking color wheel and hold it next to your screen if you're retarded enough to not see this.

This whole thing was just faggotry and trolling, like the whole over/under debate for toilet paper, or the whole stupid fucking sitting vs. standing while wiping your butthole bullshit.
>>
>>57248721
You might know it, but you can't see it, unless you're colorblind. The colors in the first pic are pale blue and gold/ochre.
>>
How do we know that the majority of those who said white/gold were not just shitposting?
>>
>>57248742
Thanks rareflag
>>
>>57248707

Thanks. very related.
>>
>>57248776
Well, if "white and gold" dress was placed under bluish lighting, it would look like what we see in the photo.
>>
File: the answer.jpg (930 KB, 1908x967) Image search: [Google]
the answer.jpg
930 KB, 1908x967
this should answer everyone's questions

im assuming it has to do with eye sensitivity, this is a picture with the brightness adjusted.

you can see the one on the left is white and gold, the right is blue and black.
>>
The dress is blue and black but the shitty photo of the dress is clearly white and gold.
>>
>>57248819

I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't get involved in another thread about this, but I guess I broke that.

How do you not see that the dress is OBJECTIVELY blue and black? No matter what picture you see of it.
Where are you idiots getting white and gold from? I don't even know which color is supposed to represent white and which one gold.
Am I taking motherfucking crazy pills?
>>
File: bluedress-315-new.gif (305 KB, 315x479) Image search: [Google]
bluedress-315-new.gif
305 KB, 315x479
>>57248872
>>
>>57248827
What do you mean "see"? It's light blue and brown, you can open the image in Paint and get an RGB code or something.
>>
>>57248819

I didn't want this thread to get into this. But if anyone can show me white on that dress I'll eat my own dick. There is white, or something very close to it in the original picture. This clearly contrasts drastically with any and every part of the dress.
>>
>>57248872
In every single one of those, you can easily tell it's blue and black.
>>
It was an experiment to see how well public opinion could be manipulated.

>The dress is black says the common idiot
>The dress is gold says the media representative
>I guess the dress is gold says the common idiot in response
>>
>>57248939
are you retarded?
>>
>>57248776
The blue is very pale and could easily be white under halogen store lights. There is however no black in this pic.
>>
>>57247451

>white & gold
>casuals who don't have their monitors adjusted correctly
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 456x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 456x700
This shit is even worse than aussie BBC shitposter.
>>
>>57248939
>mom, I'm trolling 4chan
>>
File: what colours are in box.jpg (75 KB, 315x479) Image search: [Google]
what colours are in box.jpg
75 KB, 315x479
>>57248906
>>
>>57248953
No, I'm actually highly intelligent. And since the dress was literally confirmed to be blue and black, it kind of proves me right even more.
>>
>>57248896
Nah you are just an idiot who fails to understand how the brains can interpret things different to what they are in reality.
>>
>>57248991
no shit, but with the brightness adjusted the colour has definitely changed.
>>
>>57248939
Nice psy op.
>>
>>57248917

sure but the majority of people's brains, initially, compensated for the saturation and called, correctly, black and blue.
>>
>>57248955
Most people view it from their phones
>>
OK guys, seriously. I want to understand this meme.

Are some of you ACTUALLY seeing white and gold?
I mean...you're clearly wrong, but walk me through what you're seeing.
>>
>>57248948

kinda yes. And according to opinion polls taken a few days after the event, it worked a treat.
>>
>>57249035
see >>57248872
>>
>>57247451
I didn't follow the topic back then and I still don't know what the issue is with the dress, but the study in the article and its outcome are crazy interesting and relevant for us, thanks for making a decent thread (even though it's already getting shitposted into oblivion).
>>
>>57248896
it looks white/light blue. it looks like when a flash from a camera hits a white shirt. you know how the white turns bluish.

also i how are you people seeing black when the color is clearly gold/tan in the original picture?
>>
>>57249003
In every single one of the pictures, I see blue and black.
Get better developed eyes.
>>
>>57249010
>>57248971
>>57248955

I can only assume you're trolling.

>>57249035

They'll swear to you that they are.
>>
Is it me or is /pol/ unusually shit tonight?

Well more than normal
>>
>make an interesting thread about a topic extremely relevant for literally everyone
>idiots argue about an old meme that only serves as a good example of gullibility
>>
>>57249055
And now you see
>>57249083
>>
>>57248965
I hate her fugly mug and spastic acting that she thinks is in any way "comedic". You know how people say women aren't funny and Germans aren funny? She's like a horrible amalgamation of this fact x100
>>
>>57248953
>>57249003
>>57248971
>>57249010
psyops in progress

in all the pics it's clearly a tint of blue and a shade of black
>>
>>57249100
dont make me call you a newfag
>>
>>57249063

Every other thread I've tried on this has been deleted.

http://archive.4plebs.org/pol/search/image/bpS-FAYDHBBUWu2v51uWZw/
>>
>>57249106
20/20 t͏bh fa͏m
>>
>>57248991
Before people knew it was black, 80% said it was gold/ochre.
>>
>>57248896

Some people are retarded and completely unable to automatically take in to account the effects poor image quality. There's propably something wrong in the part of their brain that constantly keeps the perceived reality consistent despite inconsistent stimuli.
>>
>>57248872

Even on the left I see no white at all on the dress. Plenty of white around it in the background though.

see >>57248986
>>
>>57248906
That hurt my head to look at.

I saw white/gold once for like 10 minutes.

It was a really freaky experience.
>>
>>57248272
>My point, does this go to show that people can be convinced to ignore their own basic senses by group pressure?

NO, IT SHOWS PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO PLAY ALONG WITH THE RETARDS DOING STUDIES --- IF SOME ASSHOLE JUST WANTS YOU TO CLICK THE OTHER ANSWER - EVENTUALLY YOU WILL BECAUSE YOU DO NOT GIVE A FUCK...

The big "smart people" then take the click count and declare victory...
HOWEVER IF ANY FOLLOW UP IS EVER DONE ON THE CLICKERS - THEY WILL TELL THE STUPID FUCKERS THEY KNEW IT WAS BLACK AND BLUE THE WHOLE FUCKING TIME - AND BRIBES, PROMISES, FRUSTRATIONS, CURIOSITY IF THE SCREEN WOULD CHANGE BY CLICKING OTHER ANSWER - ETC WERE THE REASONS WHY THE PRESSURED CHANGED THE ANSWER

OF COURSE ALL ADULTS SHOULD KNOW THIS, BUT UNIVERSITY BULLSHIT IS MAGIC FOR MOST
>>
>>57248872
>>57248953

it barely looks gold at the top, it's a dead wringer for black on the bottom and everywhere else, and theres no fucking way that a white shirt can be that pale blue with all that yellow light in the background

am i being fucking trolled?

no wonder everythings going to shit if something this simple escapes people
>>
>>57249124

Go away freshcunt
>>
>>57249035
It looks gold and light blue in the image but it's also obvious the colors are distorted. If you'd asked me with no prior knowledge what color the dress actually is I couldn't give you a definite answer.
>>
>>57249123
Tint of blue yes, but no shade of black. Shades of black are grey.
>>
>>57249035
The cropping of the photo kinda makes it look like it was taken on a bright sunny day, but in the shade, the blue tint being ambient blue-sky light.
>>
>>57247451
ITT: We pretend it's Feb 2015, man i sure do hope they make a new fallout game.
>>
>>57249149

disproven by

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/02/27/its-official-dress-blue-and-black/

And unlike online polls, this was conducted as a survey, largely among the non-meme generation.
>>
>>57249152
this is very fascinating. we all know that the dress is black and blue, but the color of the dress in the picture is clearly white/lightblue and gold. yet you've somehow convinced yourself you're actually seeing black and blue.

quite amazing
>>
>>57248418
Trump is shakeable, yet I believe Hillary supporters are not. They will 100% vote for her no matter what happens, just look at Obama.

Trump is catching the wind now so that when it dies down the guaranteed votes will win the presidency. It's all a set game.

Say it with me: madam president.
>>
>>57249256
The color of the dress in the picture is objectively black and blue.
>>
>>57249237
>man i sure do hope they make a new fallout game.

This fucking triggers me so hard, fuck fallout 4

>bethesda making a game in 2015 which is less complex than one in 2008

Fuck those greedy kikes
>>
Okay, so just for you I spent 2 minutes to open the OP image in Paint.NET and get hex codes for colours.

Here they are:
8390C4
http://www.color-hex.com/color/8390c4
5B4A3A
http://www.color-hex.com/color/716152

Obviously the colour varies from place to place, but not greatly.

Now, feel free to tell me how this isn't blue and brown.
>>
>>57249256
This. It's pale blue and gold but since polls only included 2 options, people went with white because there is no black or grey in this pic.
>>
File: 1443156790314.jpg (185 KB, 437x607) Image search: [Google]
1443156790314.jpg
185 KB, 437x607
>>57249315
Valid point, at least the new star wars won't have a dindu lead
>>
>>57247451
>you know it's psychological manipulation and a social experiment
>you engage in it anyway

you are fucking retarded and you should seriously consider suicide
>>
>>57249315
kek. i'm guessing you only played skyrim. the ES series has been getting less complex ever since morrowind. i totally expected fallout to be the same way
>>
>>57249251
This survey was conducted after the real answer was posted all over the Internet.
>>
>>57249126
this place is almost kil, my friend.
>>
>>57247451
If you see Blue and Black you took the red pill.
If you see white and gold you took the blue pill
>>
>>57248549
>I never understood this shit, it's fucking black and blue.
>How do you get white and gold out of it?

IF TWITTER HEADS HARASS YOU TO CLICK THE OTHER ONLINE BUTTON ... YOU FUCKIN CLICK IT

In the mean time you assume they are colorblind - or maybe their monitor lost a red blue or green pixel engine - or they are on a black and white screen hence poor fuckers.. all sorts of explanations are instantly available - they may be getting a different image through a radom page serve..

so the shitheads click white and gold and the researchers declare absolute victory... and claim they have swayed the entire mass, 100%...

You see, though, if you have any sense you know better.

your welcome

in other words, another shit "study" with "shit conclusions" that can be sold to shitheads, for a lot of shit dollars, and shit fame.
>>
OP's source is interesting but I'm lost by the fact that anyone see's a white and gold dress.

I heard about it when it was a big thing but can someone who sees white and gold please explain how and why they see
that?

I've seen optical illusions where they say you can't 'unsee' it, but I cannot see a white or gold dress in the first place.
>>
>>57249230

That's not how it would have looked though.

http://violettedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/fashion-dress-summer-crush.jpg
>>
File: the answer.jpg (809 KB, 1908x967) Image search: [Google]
the answer.jpg
809 KB, 1908x967
spoonfeeding you autists who think everyones eyes are the same

my theory is whoever sees white and gold has more dilated pupils, and who sees the black and blue has smaller pupils
>>
File: images.jpg (35 KB, 396x371) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
35 KB, 396x371
It's gold/grey

Trolls say blue and black
It's a psyop
You are blue and black, then you are part of the mind controlled system
>>
I honestly saw teal and frost when I first looked at this shit. Frost is not like any color I have ever seen before. I felt like I was having an acid flashback. Now I have noticed this frost color popping up in other aspects of my life
>>
>>57249415
>he took the meme pill
>he doesn't know the terms "red pilled/blue pilled" are used as a joke

you newfags are hilarious
>>
>>57249434
but nobody sees any other colour than white and gold. are you actually this retarded or just trolling?
>>
>>57249388

No it wasn't. It was conducted the very day after the dress came out.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/e4yqt3pjof/InternalResults_150227_dress_colour_W.pdf

Polls taken a week or more later showed more people saying white/gold.
>>
>>57248986
I see soft-yellow/gold in the box, as for >>57249168 I see white on the left. Does it come down to colour vision?
It was a pretty big shit show and exposed how easily opinions can be manipulated on social media though.
>>
File: 1448113706383.jpg (20 KB, 460x259) Image search: [Google]
1448113706383.jpg
20 KB, 460x259
>>57249388

Why do you keep insisting that people only figured out that it was black and blue after the answer was "revealed"?

The second I saw the dress, I literally said "It's clearly black and blue. Surely this is a trolling attempt to convince dumb tumblr cunts that it's white and gold."

But sure enough, otherwise educated people insisted unironically that I was looking at an ivory and El Dorado dress. Which completely baffled me and blew my mind.

I don't fully understand the psychology behind this phenomena yet, but I intend on it, so I can find another way to exploit you weak-willed people.
>>
>>57249434

answer the question >>57248986
>>
>>57247451
Its a trick of the light. I know its blue and black.

But what i see in that picture apears to me as a kind of cold and light blue.
>>
>>57249424
There simply is no black in this pic. You can imagine it or parrot the right answer because you're scared to look like a fool getting it wrong, but black is a solid color and shades of black are grey.
>>
>>57249434
>my theory is whoever sees white and gold has more dilated pupils, and who sees the black and blue has smaller pupils
Let's just skip the bullshit and decide on which side makes you white.
>>
>>57249467
>poll has 50/50
>nobody
>>
>>57249467
Trolling, of course.

There is quite obviously no black in the photo.
>>
>>57249434

If you can't adjust your perception on basis of the clear color degration in the left picture to perceive the actual colors, you have brain damage.
>>
>>57249500
I dont understand this question
>>
>>57249103
This so fucking much, it always hurts when you realize that while the amount of reasonable people is doubled on /pol/, it's still only like 4%.
>>
>>57249510
lmao
>>
>>57249535
filename
>>
The ultimate red pill is realising the dress is green and red.
>>
>>57249434
pupil size changes depending on incoming light magnitude, so that idea is stupid

and the problem with your picture is that those colors are cherry picked like hell, ignoring human capabilities to deal with poor images

people who say white / gold are either trolling, or didn't fucking look at the photo
>>
>>57249511
i don't think you understand how eyes and the human brain works, friendo.

literally nobody except people that are colour blind are seeing anything other than white and gold.

you need to get that into your head.
>>
>>57249524
me no no wat shado
>>
>people who know nothing about white balance

holy shit you fucking retards exist
>>
>>57249476
So it came out after the answer was in all the media. Thanks for confirming. The white and gold was written up by the tumblerista herself, she said she only sees white and gold in this pic as she posted it.
>>
>>57249434
I think it depends more on where you look in the image first. If I look at it closer to the light source I see it as white and gold, whereas in OP's image with the light source cropped I can only see it as blue and black. I think its more an expectation thing than anything else.
>>
>>57249510
Smaller pupils help you see better under bright sun. So, smaller pupils are a genetic trait most beneficial for people from hot countries, like blacks. So, people who see black and blue aren't white.
>>
>>57249510
i've got blue/green eyes and perfect vision and i see white/gold.

looks like only niggers see blue/black
>>
>>57249551
I know nigga

>>57249562
sorry m8, but you are wrong, many poeple saw it as that, including myself.

and this is before the autistic memeing started.
>>
>>57249562
You don't know what you're talking about, do you?
>>
>>57249434

I wouldn't be surprised if it is sight related.

I saw this picture before on the first page with my contacts in. Blue and black.

Took the contacts out a minute ago and noticed that I was seeing gold and off-colour white afterwards.

Although I don't see why this is that interesting beyond getting a mild 'huh' out of me.

It's like imagining an internet argument over whether pic related is stationary, or moving.
>>
>>57249035
Yes i actually see the it as white and gold.

I know its blue and black and its a trick of the light.
>>
>>57248986
Bright yellow.
>>
File: gnashingteeth.jpg (179 KB, 1324x990) Image search: [Google]
gnashingteeth.jpg
179 KB, 1324x990
>>57247451
Is this cat black and white, or white and black, only pleebs don't know, also like upboat and sub, crie evry time
>>
File: yee.jpg (2 KB, 120x90) Image search: [Google]
yee.jpg
2 KB, 120x90
>>57249607
>posting in a troll thread
>you don't know what you're talking about

what do you think
>>
>>57249434
Okay, yeah cherry pick 2 specific parts on the left...

Color match from the bottom of the left picture you faggot.

The left is kind of white and gold at the top, but the rest of the picture clearly lets you see its blue and black.
>>
>>57249590

No. She said black and blue. Her friend said white and gold. That's where the 'white' came form. Objectively, there is no white on that dress. That the black is faded is down to the shoddy picture.

And that aside, how many people 60+ use the net for this kinda thing, if at all?

Your shill is becoming obvious.
>>
>>57249629
cat is neither cat is ded
>>
>>57249597
>>57249599

kek. Switch tactics/hivemind
>>
I now think its a dividing phyop t͏bh lads
>>
>>57249616
I have almost perfect vision and was tested for all sorts of disease and cataracts last April (I was worried after the solar eclipse because I glanced at it)
>>
>>57249669
Black cannot be faded down to yellow. Only to grey.
>>
>>57249692
get your eyes checked mohomed
>>
>>57247598
>>57247995
>>57247582
>>57248480
>>57248648
>>57248654
>>57248872

All of you need your head examined by a professional. You probably have cancer of the optic nerve or something.
>>
>>57249649
You missed the reference, faggot.
>>
>>57249622

There are two colurs in the box. Bright yellow is much closer to gold than that dark colour on the dress though.

Anyway. Can we stop arguing about the colour. If you are correct, and it is white and gold, and everyone in that YouGov poll changed their opinion because the media told them too, the end result is the same. Mass groups can be easily manipulated to disregard their own senses.

That's what this thread was meant to be about.
>>
It was literally never white/gold and I am 100% sure people who argued that it was were either trolling or colourblind.
>>
People who can't think :
>See picture
>White and gold

People who can think :
>See picture
>Process lighting and filters
>Picture show these colors
>Remove filters and lighting
>Dress in Blue and black

Sheeps vs critical thinkers.
>>
>>57249462
he used it in to describe the observers of a facebook meme. I think he knows about the pill more than you do.
>>
>>57249794
nice ad hom faggot
>>
>>57249707

K. Keep me posted.
>>
>>57249152

So you're basically implying that the people who were able to realize that the dress was black and blue are geniuses?

This is something I can get behind.
>>
>>57249794
So what you say is that the picture is actually white and gold.
>>
>>57249508
I think /pol/ is a bad place to discuss this because of trolls. I never took interest in this even when it was a big thing because
I cannot see how anyone would see white and gold.
>>
>>57249759

The colour is much closer to grey than yellow in all but the top section of the dress.
>>
>>57249859
pull ur eyes like a slanty eyed asian and look again
>>
>>57249687
Next level schrodinger bantz, of course, Australia.
>>
>>57247898
>A small, dedicated minority can reshape the opinion of entire groups.
time 2 shitpost natsoc all over the internet
>>
>>57249506

Not only that, but the prevalent photo being passed around on 4chan and everywhere else at the time was a low quality filtered looking version of the picture
>>
>>57249794
Thx, it's just as I thought. People who call it like they see it: gold. People who overthink, spend time squinting and pondering to appear smart see all sorts of things.
>>
>>57249856
Too bad the question has never been about the picture but the dress.
>>
>>57249251
>disproven by
>https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/02/27/its-official-dress-blue-and-black/
>And unlike online polls, this was conducted as a survey, largely among the non-meme generation.

the dress in that link is BLUE AND GOLD

so give the choices :

white and GOLD
BLUE and black

neither of the answers is correct

IT'S A SHITSTAIN IN TOTALITY

they learned little kiddies prefer GOLD - the elderly prefer BLUE - in their answer

whatever else they spin up, the dress in that link is gold and blue , or blue and gold

it is NOT the color group choices they gave, as each choice had only 1 of the 2 colors correct.
>>
>>57249856

No, he's saying that you're a retard if you saw white and gold.

I mean, if you can't analyze a simple picture in your brain, I shouldn't really expect you to be able to analyze the meaning behind a post either.
>>
>>57249859
Let me add:

Can't computers figure this all out for us. All I see is a washed out pic of a black and blue dress because of flash or otherwise amplified lightning.
Can't an algorithm tell you exactly how many shades from true black the black of the dress is compared to how many shades it is from white?
>>
>>57249805
>another newfag uses the term red pilled unironically

LOL AT YOU NEWFAG
>>
all my normalfag friends said white and gold on FB. Enlightened individuals such as myself knew it was blue and black.
>>
>>57249865
There is no grey in that pic. The entire color palette is warm.
>>
>>57248906
I understand confusing blue for semi-white after the shot up brightness, but the black color is still fucking darker than any shade of gold should be.

people who said it's white/gold are pants on head retarded and shouldnt reproduce
>>
>>57249930

But the dress was objectively proven to be black and blue, so the people who "overthink" were right in this scenario.
>>
>>57247451
tl;dr?
>>
>>57247451

This is the kind of stuff this board should be talking about, honestly.
>>
File: 1429128824272.jpg (12 KB, 425x396) Image search: [Google]
1429128824272.jpg
12 KB, 425x396
>>57249953
>>
>>57247583
>>57247546
This is why the SJW cultural marxist pro immigration black lives matter feminist gay transexual shit is so successful.

A minority of vocal as fuck faggots rally on social media, in colleges and just spam the same messages over and over constantly until people in the media think its the public opinion and then they back it and now everyone is repeating this shit. Even people who don't believe it feel obliged because they don't want to be socially ostracized

It's the same thing as the Hundredth Money Effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundredth_monkey_effect
>>
>>57249930
>overthink
That shit registers instantly to me.

I just realized you white/gold shitters are literally the common core of color vision. Whereas any normal person can see this shit effortlessly, it's apparently taxing and tedious for you and requires additional effort on your part.

How fucked has society gotten that now color vision must be manually broken up into pieces by subhuman shitters?
>>
>>57248701
MUH BBCCCCC
>>
>>57249950
>analyze a picture in your brain
>the same thing as seeing a picture with shitty lighting for the first time

you're an aspie right?
>>
>>57249970
This. You have to be a special kind of autist to see, calculate, remove filters etc to see it as black
>>
>>57249976
Nice trolling, due to this thread I almost believed that some people actually see black there.
>>
File: 1445515726597.png (512 KB, 796x820) Image search: [Google]
1445515726597.png
512 KB, 796x820
>>57247451
I still can not force my mind into thinking that this dress is black and blue.
>>
>>57249950
>>57249993
Anyway don't you think it's scary ?
It shows how people don't care to think and analyse anymore.
No wonder the masses are so easily manipulated.
>>
>>57248742
Shut the fuck up, Turknigger.
>>
>>57250063
It's an Anglo thing, has something to do with inbreeding.
>>
>>57250036

Literally all versions of the dress register as blue and black in an intelligent person's brain.
Sorry you're subhuman and can't register simple colors correctly.
>>
>>57247451
Dude I'm not even reading any of this. Just dropping in to say that all the psychology behind this dress is bullshit.

It's just another mindfuck. It's a manipulation of color and how it reflects in our minds. This type of color shifting and seeing things in odd lighting has been known about since the 70s. Even earlier.

It honestly makes me think that fucking the company producing the dress schemed it up as a publicity stunt to gain sales. Which would be completely genius.
>>
>>57249993
So? Proving the point once again, you need to overcomplicate things and be really invested to see something other than the obvious. Of course, once the real answer was revealed, everyone "saw" black suddenly.
>>
File: 49 870 15_49 871 15.jpg (211 KB, 2148x1110) Image search: [Google]
49 870 15_49 871 15.jpg
211 KB, 2148x1110
>>57249434
the far left I admit the blue seems to turn white, but there is NO GOLD. It looks like black saturated with a shit ton of yellow or rather someone put a thick transparent yellow lens over the black like you're seeing it through one of these
>>
>>57247875
This, I don't get how this is a debate when the eyedroper program is on EVERYONE'S COMPUTER.
>>
This is just a hypothesis, but one key factor I found is that people who spend a lot of time looking at photos on screens (photographers), overwhelmingly say that the dress is black and blue –this coming from the fact that they can tell by looking at the picture that the exposure was off (what I thought as well).
>>
>>57250153

>taking literally a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a second of brain time to figure out which colors the dress is

>overcomplicating things

Again, like other people have said....Never have children.
>>
>>57250168
I like how people arguing for black/blue completely ignore this.
>>
>>57250066
There's no thinking here. It's an automatic process in your brain that probably has to do with how much time you spend under artificial light. Coincidentally the urban vs rural population in the west is around 80% to 20% which is very close to the initial survey for blue/black or white/gold.
>>
>>57250156
so you're admitting the black isn't there?
>>
>>57250205
>Again, like other people have said....Never have children.

No, have children, teach them to think.
>>
File: iu[1].gif (1 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].gif
1 MB, 300x225
I'm slightly schizophrenic so this illusion doesn't fool me either.
>>
>>57250027
All the people who saw black already admitted to getting there through a series of steps. All the ones who didn't just weren't autistic enough to do so.
>>
>>57250230
Im saying the black is definite. The black is so obviously there that there should have been no one even suggesting the color gold. Like the fight should have only been over a white/black dress or blue/black dress.
>>
>>57250217
then they couldn't gloat about their superior ability to see non existent colors
>>
>>57250283
I saw black instantly. Stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>57250284
accept there is no black in the picture
see here >>57247875
>>
The Dress is blue and Black. But you aren't looking at the dress - you're looking at a photo. In the photo is a gold and white/blue dress. These are the colours in the photo. Gratz if your brain corrects the photo, but in some respects what you're now seeing is psychological derivative.

People seeing gold and bluey-white seeing the reality of the photo. Black blue are seeing the reality of the dress. Neither is 'correct' in an objective sense.
>>
>the dress colour was confirmed to be blue and black

People who say white/gold(yellow) know it's originally black/blue, it depends on what image you show them that changes their mind.
I see both in OP.
>>
>>57250205
> sperg
> telling people not to have children
Why are you defective ones so bitter about people being normal and well-adjusted?
>>
>>57250284
>white/black
So, how does it feel to be completely colourblind?
>>
>>57250334
How is the reality of the dress being objectively black and blue not correct?
>>
>>57250334
this. i can't believe an aussie actually made this post

people claiming to see black and blue are retards who've don't believe their own eyes.
>>
>>57250283
It's a series of steps which occur instantly in our minds.

Again, you are the common core of vision. Whereas non-dimwits can solve 7+5 instantly, you need to break it down into steps and take your time following them. I mean I can explain to you that 7+5=12 because 7+1=8 then 8+1=9 etc but that doesn't mean I actually take a massive amount of time to compute this. You're apparently too stupid to solve it instantly though.
>>
>>57250313
It's not actually embarassing not to be autistic outside ouf 4chan.
>>
>>57250366

>not being able to process simple colors in your brain
>normal and well adjusted

This is a very well crafted ruse.
>>
>>57250283
the first time I saw the pic without any prior knowledge to it being a meme I instantaneously recognized it as a picture of a blue/black dress that had been doused in some sort of sunny/yellow lighting for some asinine reason. White and gold never cross my mind.
>>
>>57250389
because we're talking about the picture. not the dress
>>
File: 14341898348110.jpg (22 KB, 267x274) Image search: [Google]
14341898348110.jpg
22 KB, 267x274
Btw I see this dress as light blue and light ochre.
>>
File: Stephen-Hawking-010.jpg (54 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
Stephen-Hawking-010.jpg
54 KB, 620x372
>>57250397
> solve instantly
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 615x409
What color do you people see the pills as?
>>
>>57250464
Some gay color.
>>
>>57250464
Grey, right is sprinkled with red
>>
>>57250435
Why are the two separated?

The question is "What colors are this dress?" Not..."What colors are this dress in relation to the photo?"
The photo aspect is irrelevant, and only benefits the idiots who can't see that the dress is blue and black.
>>
>>57250446
Well, maybe not light ochre, more like simple brown
>>
>>57248593
Is it magic?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (206 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
206 KB, 1920x1080
>>57250333
who gives a fuck about the picture as a whole, we're discussing the dress and the dress is blue and black.
>>
>>57250265
what's the illusion here? what does being schizophrenic have to do with not being able to see any type of illusion?
>>
>>57250463
>he cannot instantly solve 7+5
Yeah you're a retard. I didn't think there could be an education system worse than american common core but in comes austria.
>>
>>57250464

Left is red, right is a dark purple.
>>
>>57250535
Stay sperg, virgin boy.
>>
>>57250514
yeah everyone knows the dress is blue and black IRL. the point is that it appears to be light blue/white and gold in the picture.
>>
>>57250538
Ahaha, you are actually colorblind for real.
>>
>>57250606
If you're an idiot.
>>
>>57250525
normal people can't tell which side is inverted without the colors telling them it's the front. Schizophrenic people can tell which side is inverted which isn't.

http://www.wired.com/2009/04/schizoillusion/
>>
>>57250600
>austrian edumacation
>>
File: church lady.jpg (92 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
church lady.jpg
92 KB, 400x400
>>57249327
>http://www.color-hex.com/color/716152
Web safe color of #716152 is #666666
>>
>>57247451
Not reading the thread. Just stopping to say that the colors you see on your screen are literally periwinkle and gold. Any debate about this is stupid.
>>
>>57250632
> Australian
> education
>"solving" something whenever they glance at a pic
>>
>>57250502
The two are separated because you don't have the dress - you have a photo of the dress. The photo can be objectively proven ( IE with colour matchers) to show gold and blue/white.

If you correct for this in your mind wonderful, but it doesn't change the photo colours, just your interpretation of it. You have to treat the two separately because, y'know, photos and dresses are different things.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.