[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the whole "if you work hard enough, you will get success"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 1000x954) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 1000x954
Is the whole "if you work hard enough, you will get success" thing a meme nowadays?

I don't think it is. I have met a few people that have worked hard their entire lives to be where they are. People who came from nothing but made something of themselves.

It's not just working hard though. It's about good decisions as well. People like to bring up that you can work hard at McDonalds and not become successful, but you have to make the right decisions as well.

These people didn't start in today's world, however. Is it possible to truly become successful from working hard enough in the 21st century?
>>
>>56770106

Short answer, no.

Long answer, unless things change
>>
>>56770106
You could have a room full of people with 160 IQ and equal test scores, but if there is only one office to fight over, the one who gets the office is really just the fallguy who is naive enough to think he's in a position of importance.

Everyone tries harder than each other to get that chair, and the guy in the chair has license to shit all over them. Turn this relationship upside down, and everyone outside the office is blessed with awareness that they need to improve themselves, and the guy in the office genuinely believes he's the top dog, the standard by which everyone else is deemed lesser, and they no longer have to improve themselves at all.

It's an intimate relationship which is only fruitfully sustained by assuming your role.
>>
File: tqKVZ.jpg (60 KB, 1280x664) Image search: [Google]
tqKVZ.jpg
60 KB, 1280x664
>>56770391
I've been offered managerial positions. I don't want to be that cunt. By not wanting to be that cunt, I can't effectively be that cunt.
>>
>>56770314
But why? What's changed since the 1900s?
>>
>>56770106
It's a joke if you play the game and think of becoming rich.

> Retiring after working for only 7 years at a factory union making 60k/yr

feels good man
>>
>>56770106
>Is the whole "if you work hard enough, you will get success" thing a meme nowadays?

No. But hard work must be intelligently directed.

You can work hard at trying to blow out a light bulb, for years, and you won't succeed. Being the hardest-working grocery clerk is not going to get you anywhere.
>>
>>56770605

Labor is worthless. Its impossible to invent or create without a middleman. Opportunities are commodities. Careers are non existent for millenials. I wonder how long until interns have to pay to work there to get a shot at a job.
>>
>>56770797
>I have no imagination

Your problem lies in your belief in your second statement.

>tfw on pace for my first 6-figure year, having started with nothing but a grand in space on a credit card
>>
>>56770605
>>56770314
Shit I really misread this post. Disregard
>>
File: thinkandgrowrich.jpg (36 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
thinkandgrowrich.jpg
36 KB, 600x800
Recommended reading for this thread
>>
>>56770918
How many dicks a day is that? Are your clients rich and You give quality blow jobs, or do you just pump and spank every one with a few toonies?
>>
File: 21094497789_ce3918d504_o.jpg (47 KB, 992x558) Image search: [Google]
21094497789_ce3918d504_o.jpg
47 KB, 992x558
>>56770106
3 things:
-work smart (you'll never get rich working hard at McDonalds)
-work hard
-be obsessed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7W7qe2R0A
>>
>>56770106

Funny thing is, you actually can end up successful at McDonalds.

I used to work in 401k recordkeeping, and one of our clients was McDonalds.

I once spoke to a participant who had amassed more than a million dollars in her 401k plan. Mcdonalds matches dollar-for-dollar on employee 401ks. She was 42 years old and was a supervisor.
>>
Too late.

My net worth is -80,000 and I've earned maybe 15k over my whole life. I'm 23, mostly skillless, and wasn't smart enough to finish colleg .

Was forced into college by parents that demanded it be my path. Zero life alternatives because I was always financially dependent on parents, that always demanded I keep going back on loan. I also have an extremely trusting personality type.

Literally not made for this world but I guess I'll trog through it until I end up dead in a ditch or something. I have no health insurance, vision, dental and need new contacts or glasses.

Even though I'm literally worth nothing, there isn't a drop of welfare allowed for me. May also be slightly autistic but who cares at this point.

If somebody gave me a clean way out, I would take it instantly.
>>
>>56770106
always was a meme.
There was study done here in Finland that showed that no rich person in Finland earned his wealth via hard labor.

Working men get nothing more than working men's salary, cheats and manipulators get the biggest amount of money and actually succeed.
>>
>>56770106
>if you work hard enough, you will get success
Its true.
But how hard, to what extent, how far.
What are you willing to do?
Will you play by the rules and lose?
Or break them, redefine them and risk it all in a do or die that could result in an untimely demise or riches beyond the imagination?

One must bleed, suffer, and kill.
No one is untouchable. Rules were made to keep people safe, you stop adhering. All of a sudden the world is yours.
>>
>>56770106

>Is the whole "if you work hard enough, you will get success" thing a meme nowadays?

It was never about working hard. It's about working hard and smart. Take you picture for example. That guy is using all he has to swing that pickaxe and break rocks. I am sure he would be tired at the end of the day and would do it day in and day out as well.

Me, I would just use some explosives and get more done in one hour than what he did all week. So why should I feel bad for people who aren't willing to think about doing things better?
>>
>>56770106

Yes, border-dissolving kikes are doing everything they can to flood high-wage countries with niggers to reduce people's ability to make a living.

The richest kikes will keep even more money, and choke out the common man's ability to secure resources and stage a revolt.
>>
>>56771352
sounds like you're just shit at applying yourself

takes no degree or real knowledge to get a livable wage.
>>
>>56770106
Only a fool works for money. You need to let the money work for you or be a peasant forever.
>>
>>56771478
Are you going to buy me a car? Live out in the country too.
>>
>>56771558
who took you to uni if you didnt have a car...
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 300x240
This proves that black people always beats crackers on fights
>>
*in

Sorry typo
>>
>>56771595
My parents.
>>
My dad grew up poor as dirt in detroit. Thanks to my dad taking advantage of the opportunities the military willingly hands out, he is now a army lawyer and a full bird. I consider this to be an example of what you were questioning OP.
>>
>>56770106
Our traitorous class exporting all the manufacturing while importing the third world for cheap labor (and thereby "electing a new people") is making that increasingly impossible.
>>
>>56771209

Hey, if things go well I'll hire you to be my relief

>I'll keep $2 for every $1 I pay you
>>
In this book, the author describes how we all look up to success stories and ask them how they did it as if that information has more significance than asking why the greater multitude of failed entrepreneurial exercises failed.

It's not all attributed to luck, but the successful often overestimate the disadvantages they had and adversity they faced and underestimate the advantages they had and help they received. Not surprising, as people in general shed the best possible light upon themselves.

People with lots of confidence will often tell you that confidence is everything. They seem pretty confident about that. Perhaps you should take their word for it.
>>
>>56771640
then they should be driving you to work until you can find transportation of your own.
>>
Cheat your way to success. If something benefits you or you think it will do it and never look back.
Lie, cheat,scam, use, and abuse.
>>
File: thinking.png (161 KB, 587x574) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
161 KB, 587x574
>>56771835
wrong picture.
>>
Working hard is for suckers. It is all about who gets to leave at 3 o'clock after taking a two hour lunch.
>>
>>56770106
We need to define success carefully.
It used to be making it was moving permanently from working to middle class.
That's still possible but it's harder.
Third Worlders whatever country they come from (third world filth is a mindset) are dirty and poor and ineffective precisely because they view that success as a failure -- as advertised in rap videos, they want luxury, they want violent social imbalance in their favor, they want to jump from working to ruling class and view nothing inbetween as worth anything.
>>
>>56771835

I've had two businesses fail miserably. This third one is looking good, making money, maybe breaks 6 figures by the end of the year -- but it might fail too. And then I'll start business 4. The only thing I lose is stress and time. If this business doesn't succeed, I will keep doing new things until I find one that does.

On the other hand, a guy I know had his own business when I was on business two , it failed, and he is now an employee of someone else's business. Less stress, but he's an employee.
>>
>>56771836
They are split, and my dad works. I can't drive also, because a license costs money. I have literally 0$ in my bank account and wallet. If my dad threw me out I would be dead because I also have no real friends in this state. The very little money I get from my dad goes to personal hygiene like soap and shampoo.
>>
In a way, yes. I have worked hard for the past four years to grow my business. I also worked hard for a friend when I worked with him at his small business.

In an age where you're a number and not an employee, really, I wouldn't imagine so.
>>
>>56770106
Depends what you mean by successful.
If you mean making 60 grand a year, yeah you can get there by working hard, not being retarded, and having a small amount of charisma.
Of course this means working on your own time. But if you use your own time to study and get skills to get that money then yes you can move forward.
Anyone can slave away in a menial job. I've worked some shitty jobs but I find it harder to sit down and learn something in my free time.
If you wasted your school life it's harder to recover because then you're stuck with the dead end job, that's the time hard work is worth the most.

You can't go from nothing to millionaire in 10 years without a good amount of luck.

And the whole loving wife and large family seems to be getting harder these days regardless of money. That's what I personally would consider success.
>>
>>56772089
>Keep working at it and learn from your mistakes.
That's not bad advice, and that's more or less the whole point of the thread.

Still, just because he settled on working for someone else doesn't mean he's a lesser person than you are. It most likely means he just made a bigger mistake than you did and it cost him more than just capital.
>>
>>56771352
jesus christ bro are u me. double sui together <3
>>
>>56770106
My grandfather was poor as fuck. Him, his parents, and 8 siblings drove up and down California doing migrant work at one point.Living out of a model T. He worked his fucking ass off his whole life. Ended up with some acres and a nice house, plus giving his 4 kids a much better life. He worked for himself for most of his life. Today i don't know if you could do what he did. he did alot of trucking and heavy equipment shit/logging. And today the cost and bureaucracy in the way of doing something like he did make things much harder. Add to that he had a terrible temper, got in lot's of fights and shit. Got in confrontations with authority figures often. I think if he were 30 today he just would be rotting in jail right now. My half brother has been doing high end residential masonry for 15 years. He is the best employee at that company and today said he is thinking of joining the post office because they would pay more.... and that is without benefits. I heard recently that adjusted for inflation the average blue collar job pay average hasn't increased one bit since the 1970's. The government gets larger, and the workers get poorer.
>>
>>56770106
>"if you work hard enough, you will get success"
All you have to do to see the incoherence in that statement is ask yourself, "if everyone worked hard and mercilessly pursued their goals, could everyone be a CEO?"

The American Dream is indeed living your life by that rule. Otherwise it'd be called The American Reality
>>
>>56770106
>30% hard work and choices
>50% who you know
>20% luck/timing
>>
>>56772500
This is basically what I'm talking about. A lot of the stories I hear just simply wouldn't play out the same way today.
>>
>>56772439
>ill, just because he settled on working for someone else doesn't mean he's a lesser person than you are

Never said he was. He didn't get burned too badly in terms of capital, but 80-plus hour weeks ending in total failure is a huge psychological kick to the balls and he made the call of "fuck that" and went to work for someone else. A lot of people would rather live comfortably and sleep well at night than put themselves and their families through the entrepreneurial roulette table. It's very hard to get rich being someone else's employee -- but it's a lot safer and less stressful.

The thing is, it does take luck to succeed. A successful small business is probably like rolling two 1s in a row with a die. However, you get as many rolls as you want. If you only take one roll, or like most people never roll at all, shit just isn't going to happen for you.
>>
>>56773027
I feel you. My stepdad runs a body shop (his mom owns it since his father died) and it consumes him, though he doesn't mind too much. He never does anyone wrong and stands by all his work for life. That said, he has a hard time, but he's still going.
>>
File: Motivation012.jpg (613 KB, 1539x1000) Image search: [Google]
Motivation012.jpg
613 KB, 1539x1000
Is successful:
>Working a 80k/yr job but the stress and time requred kills any friends and family time?
or
>Being NEET so you have 0 stress and do whatever you want, but you're effectively worthless?
or
>Become a wanderer having adventures, but never contributing
or
>"Doing what you love" but it either pays effectively nothing or there simply isn't "a market for it"

Define your own success you goyim
>>
File: trumpdubs.png (251 KB, 494x493) Image search: [Google]
trumpdubs.png
251 KB, 494x493
>>56773271

Sounds like a good man.
>>
>>56770106
>>56770605

an increasingly aging population and rise in inequality means more dollars will keep coming out of the middle class' pockets to fund social security programs

advances in mechanization, automation, robotization and artificial intelligence will render most current professions obsolete by the end of this century, a large share of the population will become simply unemployable (not by their fault) and have no other way other than to rely on a state provided basic income of some sort

unionizing is just a short term solution for this when capital is free to move to more fertile, yet unexplored, less competitive grounds such as the entire african continent, which by the way is about to experience a huge population (and demand) boom

trends in corporate management and personal preferences of millenials point to a population opting to work on a freelance "by-project" basis that favors networking and multiple skill sets (good luck being a NEET), which provides more flexible hours and a personalized "carreer" in the expense of financial stability

having said that, the very notion of success is already being challenged because of deeper changes in society: why do you need to lease a car, mortgage a house and start a 401k when people don't even plan to get married and have kids anymore?
>>
>>56773357
>Become a wanderer having adventures, but never contributing
Explain how you do that with no money.
>>
>>56773551
>What are drifters
It's hard as fuck, and often illegal since your stowaway on ships etc
But really you'll be doing shitty jobs to afford the part of the journey you need and then leaving

If you think you need any money to walk out of your door and wander the world, i pity you
>>
>>56770106
Uhh work will set you free, clearly
>>
>>56773551

by literally lowering your comfort standards to zero

most people couldn't live without a hot shower, imagine eating whatever leftovers you find, sleeping anywhere you are able to put up a tent, etc.
>>
>>56771352
Pick up a trade hvac/electricity/plumber. Easy living. Get a fucking trade ppl are more than willing to teach. Think outside the box bro I'm 23 and make 80-100+k a year doing vehicular upholstery 60% commission rate
>>
>>56770106
Success is achievable by several factors, and although any combination can help, not all of these factors are necessary.

Intelligence, work ethic, and luck are the three qualifiers. More of them you have, the easier success is to achieve and maintain.
>>
>>56770106
>that have worked hard their entire lives to be where they are.
That's just the thing though, they've worked for decades to do get there.
And those decades still held true to working hard will get you what you want.
The problem is now days for people just starting out that very thing is mostly impossible for normies.
Sure r there are certain job markets that you can always climb that will get you lots of money down the line if you put your mind to it but anything with a college degree these days is pretty much dead to the work hard get rewarded standard we used to live by.
I'm not saying it isn't possible anymore but it is 10x more daunting than it was a decade a ago even
>>
>>56772063
Bro that is really insightful and eloquent and it sums up what I've been thinking but can't say

It's all or nothing for most people. No one loves the process, the struggle, the journey. And at the root of it all is hate, fear, corruption and lust for power to enslave others. Fucking hell.
>>
>>56773551
I'm a carpenter and due to the fact that I contract/whore myself out to builders (very common now compared to full time salary positions) I can take as much time off as I like as long I still have enough to pay the bills.

I have been to most of Asia/Europe and planning to do USA/CAN and LATIN MERICA.

While of course I'm not rich, I still made more than minimum wage last year even though I took 4 months off.

And I was a depressed/suicidal neet from ages 17-24 and I only started my apprenticeship when I was 24 and didn't become qualified until 28 (you have to do 4 years before getting full rate here in aus).

My life still isn't perfect,(no friends/no gf) but compared to my bro who never got a trade/went to uni who still hasn't been on a fucking plane or the people i stalk on facebook who I use to go to school with who seem to have just flung themselves into WORKWORKWORKWORKWORK or myself 7 years ago, I AM IN A MUCH BETTER PLACE
(Travelling as extensively as I do, lets just say it gives you a lot of opportunities to make up for being a nofriends nogf nojob nosex housebound neet from 17-24)
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.