[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American education is fucked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
>be American public school teacher
>watch as your class sizes get bigger every year
>notice your school's support systems (counseling, special ed, the arts, etc.) are diminishing
>every year more of your colleagues are not trying anymore or quitting
>notice that all the young teachers carry the weight of the school and burn out the fastest
>see your male students perform worse and worse every year
>see your female students get everything handed to them just because they meet the par
>the really great students go on to do wonderful things, but never come back to thank the school because they'd be fine wherever they go
>classes get more diverse every year, with less kids going home to a two-parent household, homecooked meals, or spoken English
>school has to pull the weight of parenting and feeding these kids
>there's a war on education with politicians and administrators telling you daily that what you teach isn't relevant or "good enough"
>schools around you are instilling merit-based pay, keep hearing threats that yours might be next
>powers that be keep feeding you standardized tests and curriculum that mandate what needs to be taught
>but this keeps changing every year, despite it being "the correct way"
>attention span of students is dwindling, and fewer numbers of them do their homework or studying at home
>cell phones and electronic devices are so pervasive your school gave up on policing them and allows students to do as they please, leaving you as one of the few teachers to give a shit and fight the machine
>school increases expectations for you to teach "life" and "business" skills, such as how to be polite to strangers or learning how to organize a backpack... even for teenagers
>>
>>56652810
Privately maintain the will and ability to teach.
Publicly do what you must to survive.
Babylon has just attacked Gog and relief from modernity is imminent.
>>
File: 924.jpg (188 KB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
924.jpg
188 KB, 2000x1125
>>56652810
>union can't keep having your back and every few years you notice your salary freeze or some of your benefits get cut or altered negatively
>get attacked by parents for "not doing enough" even though you already put in a 10-12 hour work day if you include grading, planning, advising, coaching and tutoring outside normal school hours
>system finds ways to take away other things, like renegging on loan forgiveness or tuition reimbursement
>expected to document everything, from when students use the restroom to whether you explicitly stated the directions to an assignment
>students and families argue everything and consistently find excuses
>call home because a kid misbehaved? "mom was at work, wtf are you doing don't call her cell, why are you calling us at dinner time?"
>email home? "what, I don't use a computer, why are you emailing me? just because it's in the system doesn't mean I check it"
>"what do you mean the assignment was assigned a week ago? my son didn't receive that paper, where does it say that this was assigned, I never got a copy of the syllabus sent to me so I didn't know it was due"
>special ed status means you need to either create "broad" objectives that all students can meet or micromanage classwork, lowering the bar for many students
>give rigorous assessments and projects and none of the students even bother to try to reach the bar
>keep at it and some get there, but most throw in the towel because we don't teach young adults the value of hard work and perseverance in this country anymore
>get blamed by students and parents constantly when a student fails or "gives up", told you don't "try hard enough for their kid"
>lower the bar ever so slightly
>watch as kids copy, lie, cheat and steal their way through your class
>cut off chances or change the work to "beat cheating," but they still find a way
>told by parents AND administration classwork isn't challenging and to up the rigor
>vicious cycle
>>
This is the future. Good for you for trying to help our shitty kids though. Just know that a really good teacher can influence a kid more than you know. It happened to me in middle school when I was struggling. Don't give up on all of them if you can.
>>
>>56652810
>>56653145
>>56652988

>tfw I've been working in education close to 10 years and have seen all of the shit in the world today coming down the pike

I am rapidly becoming the jaded, conservative-as-fuck old man teacher and I'm welcoming it. There's a reason a lot of your older male teachers were weary bastards who just threw the book at you and didn't give a fuck about your problems.

Teachers see the world and society for what they truly are. This country, the US, is fucked up beyond repair. We say we value one thing, but then teach our children to cheat, mooch, and live off the system. I can't believe I have to show 16 and 17 year olds how to organize their backpack or, even worse, write in neat handwriting, but it just seems like kids are becoming increasingly distracted and enabled. I know I'm not alone. One colleague of mine is convinced there's a conspiracy and busts her ass to teach her students "old school" so that they have a little knowledge about their situation. Parents don't even support their own kids anymore. Unless, that is, they need to defend their kid from reality.
>>
Common core
>>
File: 1429106496140.jpg (60 KB, 706x706) Image search: [Google]
1429106496140.jpg
60 KB, 706x706
>mfw I'm a Brit and start my teacher training next year
>when the gubment is deciding to make the deepest cuts to public services in recent memory and teachers have a pay freeze for the next few years
>>
I honestly don't know enough about the public education system to say anything, but you have an absolutely biting criticism of it. Do something with it anon, you're articulate and insightful.
>>
>>56652810
Jesus anon

When I was a senior in HS I dated my english teacher, she quit a year after and became a bartender, she was pretty so it was a step above a stripper I would say.

She was a Stanford grad, incredibly smart, incredibly passionate, and I watched and the school system destroyed her and her ideals. She became incredibly nihilistic and resorted to using sex appeal for money.

She was a good bang during lunch hour, though.
>>
The American education system is the shittest thing I have ever encountered
>>
>>56653842
I plan to, thank you. Was considering going into Educational Admin -- for a few years I worked as a lead teacher at a private school and managed students and faculty. I'd do that again, but I'd hate to be a public school administration in the US. They get shit on constantly. My current principal, for example, spends most of his day dealing with police, lawyers and parents as we have one of the highest suspension/expulsion rates in the district. It's just nonstop legal jargon, so much so that the guy literally teared up hearing me talk about how shitty MY classes were. He was just like, "Anon, you don't know how good you have it. Milk it. Those kids are precious. Your time is precious. Please."

Fucking broke my heart.
>>
>be american public school teacher
>watch as dumbass admins continue wasting money on useless shit so class sizes have to get bigger to compensate
>notice someone high up must halfway know what they are doing since some of the useless shit is getting cut, but not all of it
>every year more of my colleagues become brainwashed by libkuk propaganda and stop trying
>notice that the young teachers dont want any of the bullshit that is trying to get forced on them
>see your male students be discriminated against due to their gender
>see your female students get everything handed to them just because they meet the par
>>the really great students go on to do wonderful things, but never come back to thank the school because they'd be fine wherever they go
>classes get more kuked every year and no one seems to care
>school has to pull the weight of parenting and feeding these illegal little shits
>politicians are actually trying to fix the shit but libkuks stop them at every possible chance
>schools around you instilling merit-based pay, pray that yours is next
>powers that be keep feeding you standardized tests and libkuk propaganda that mandates what needs to be taught
>but this keeps getting worse every year, despite it being "the correct way"
>attention span of students is dwindling because many realize just how kuked the education system has become and have stopped caring
>electronic devices could potentially revolutionize the classroom but get hard kuked by retarded IT departments and libkuks
>school continues to waste more time on things that the kids who will ever learn properly will learn through experience and the rest will never get no matter how much time is wasted on it

fixed it for ya bruh
>>
>>56653696
buh-but based Osborne is saving the county the hard way. We need to make that 100 billion in cuts, who needs police or public hospitals or schools.

In all 3 sectors private industry can step in with massive savings to the taxpayer and government.
>>
>>56654200
That's awful to hear brother. Do the best you can, fuck their shitty bureaucracy. Private schools are the only thing that can be saved now.
>>
>>56653965
Funny enough, I've had at least two colleagues who banged their students. One is still dating his.

It's more common in American schools than you'd think. I've only known those two, but there was another before my time at one school and I've heard stories of others. A lot of the female teachers say nasty things about male students in the lunchroom too whenever I'm passing through. Male teachers bite our tongues constantly, mind you. We're all horndogs, but I'd rather pop a boner and masturbate at home then get assreamed by Jamal because I told a senior girl she was pretty cute. And both colleagues were doing it as a sort of "fuck you" after they became bitter about the job, so I'm not 100% there yet.
>>
>>56652810
You have a heart of gold, and for that I salute you. I'm in a somewhat similar position being one of the ~5% in Sweden that actually has a functional prefrontal cortex as opposed to the "FILL'ER UP, WE STILL HAVE SPACE"-crowd, so I can relate to the sensation of being surrounded by a compact wall of stupidity.
>>
>>56654227
Spot on, more or less.

The technology piece is the biggest bullshit. We were supposed to roll out laptops this year on Day 1 and the admin dropped the ball, so all my shit I had planned had to go to the wayside. I've been teaching "the old way" all year, but it sucks because I KNOW I could have my students actually using and abusing all the cool shit I actually learned how to do this summer. I even dropped cash on a tablet so I could dictate lessons and put recordings online. Fucking horrible shitheads run my school.
>>
>middle school science teacher
>3rd year
>new school
>arrive and create syllabus with grade distribution
>other science teacher says its wrong
>ask why
>"their test are worth 90% of their grade with daily assignments being 10%"
>ask about test re-takes
>"they can re-take as many times as they want"

So kids can do dick all in class as it doesn't really affect them (10%) while re-taking a test a million times. Yay good job science teacher cunt. Oh and this women is Nationally board certified.

Also, kids don't read anymore. Hand out a paper that asks them to write their name on it in big letters and they will still ask you for the answer on what to do.
>>
>>56652810
K-12 only exists as glorified babysitting. Nothing you "learn" there you ever use. But child labor is illegal now so we have to do something with them.
>>
File: 1441982763764.jpg (48 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1441982763764.jpg
48 KB, 400x462
I literally never did my homework and still made a 3.8 gpa
All my teachers hated me
I also skipped middle school
Hows it feel being average, /pol/?
>>
>>56654784
Seconded all of this, anon.

Our grade distribution is actually not that bad. I let kids retake tests, though, but only for a slightly better grade. Part of the whole "tests are a learning process" rhetoric. They can't get a 100 on the retake, but I'll give them a passing grade if they bother to correct their answers and show me where they screwed up.

>HS science teacher over here
>>
>>56654342
Osborne is injecting 4 billion into the NHS this Winter but he has already set an NHS target of 20 billion to be made in efficiency savings. RIP the NHS if this winter is like the last one. Also fuck Michael Gove and fuck Nicky Morgan.
>>
>>56654785
I remember some classmate telling me in high school, waaaay before I decided to become a teacher, that high school existed as a way to keep young people out of the work force so that older "losers" could at least get minimum wage jobs without competing with younger, fitter competitors.

On a related note, one of my older colleagues flat out tells his students that high school isn't a requirement for life and that if they were living 50 years ago most of them would be dropouts and probably get by fine. The admin hates hearing him say that, but he does it to thin the crowd. It works, to a degree. A few kids do drop out every year to work blue collar jobs, and he ends up with some pretty advanced kids. There's still the benchwarmers in his class though that just sit there and don't do anything, convinced they're worth a diploma.

Just think about it though, anons. In 20th century America you could have a 6th grade education and be a factory worker raising three kids, supporting a wife, and owning a home with a salary and benefits. Now we tell teens that a college education is the bare minimum for these kids and, depending on who you talk to, that may or may not be true. Either way, I know that no construction company will hire some slackjaw 15 year old who finished junior high. They want a high school grad. And why? Who knows. Most of what we teach in high school is the same shit they learned K-8, just a little more fancy. We literally just hold onto them until they're more mature, then ship them out. It's essential for college prep, sure, but for MOST students it's a complete waste of their time.

Wtf happened to this great nation?
>>
>>56655038
I had my students finish their test and after mentioning the 13 Fs I had in one class during lunch the science cunt says "omg that's awful"

me "no, it's not. It's their first test and a wake up call. Besides they can get half their points back and the Fs can get a potential C."

her "what % is your F"

me "below 60%"

her "oh no, 50% is the cut-off for a C, 20% is the cut off for Fs"
Jesus fucking christ................

Why are we modifying grading standards when they won't face those in real College courses.

Why are kids learning Common Core Math when it will be laughed at in College.

Common Core will be re-named something else in 2 years as everything else is.

Welcome to Education.
>>
Do you Americans at least stream your classes?
Even if you have to abandon the bottom 70%, you can at least save the top 3 streams, right?
>>
File: pepe-ice-coffee.jpg (13 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
pepe-ice-coffee.jpg
13 KB, 230x230
>>56652810
>>56653145
>>56653543
Any qt teens tho?
>>
>>56654784
I can read through the old textbooks my teachers don't use and then ace the tests, but noooo. My teachers have to give me 101 gay ass worksheets and homework assignments, which are 40% of my grade. 18yr senior, AMA.
>>
>>56654893

>be me
>4.0 gpa at birth
>IQ of 180 at 2
>Learn Mandarin Chinese before I could speak English
>English was my 4th language
>Entered kindergarten already knowing meaning of life
>Made honor roll grades 1-8, except for one quarter
>moms still took me minigolfing
>Gave validicatorian speech about pointlessness of life if you weren't me at hs graduation
>Half the class and 3/4 audience committed suicide upon learning their lives are useless
>graduated college with Masters degree on first day
>still work at Olive Garden
>>
>>56656096
OH, no. That's fucking awful.

60% is my cutoff, and I am ardent about kids not being given "free credit" for bullshit work.

I regularly fail kids for missing assignments, bullshitting answers, or cheating on work. And, like I said, they need to actually bother to put in effort to fix their poor grades on tests or papers.

Kudos to you, especially 3 years in. A lot of my colleagues who are young just give in to the hype and "extend" as my administration calls it. Well, you know what happens you give a mouse a cookie...

Kids won't learn shit if you just keep giving them freebies.
>>
>>56656863
It's a fine balance. I rarely use textbooks because they're outdated and have a lot of superfluous bullshit.

>>56656322
No, it's frowned upon here. We have to "save them all."

>>56656471
There's been some nice looking girls, but as I've gotten older (30 now senpai) I've stopped caring as much because I have my own place and adult tail is much easier to bag. Plus school I'm at now has uniforms, so it really curbs the ridiculous shit I would catch at my last school. I once had a girl drop her pants for me in my classroom to show me her underwear. Blew my goddamn mind because I didn't ask for it and had no idea she had her eye on me the whole year.
>>
>>56652810
Why do you think more and more parents are pulling their children out of public school?
It's just so shit

Any parent that is actually involved in their child's life realizes this fast and with internet classes being a thing it makes it a no brainer for most
>>
>>56657706
Which explains why most of my students are rednecks, latinos, and blacks.

Once I switched from private to public, there were literally no more middle class or upper class kids and definitely no Asians. It was clear as fucking day the moment I stepped into class and met my students.

The quality of work and work ethic downgrade was striking too.

Before you ask "wtf did you leave senpai?" it's because private school offered zero benefits and crap pay. I would rather be king of hell with a guaranteed decent salary/benefits than a peasant in heaven who works for peanuts. Might switch back later, but for now it's a good idea.
>>
>>56657669
>No, it's frowned upon here. We have to "save them all."
That's a shame. Streaming works wonders since you put all the kids who actually want to achieve in a single class.
>>
>>56657344
Purty lovely texts.
You got a vivid imagination kiddo, might want to try writing! It's simple fun and free! Wow, let me know if you're interested in this awesome new endeavor you could face.
>>
>>56658020
Exactly

Although I know quite a few keks who actually want to RESTRICT kids from any schooling other than public schooling
Probably has something to do with the privilege indoctrination programmes

Anywho yeah the whites and asians generally aren't at the public schools unless it's one of the few good ones
>>
>>56658236
I agree, the worst thing that can happen to a student with potential is the influence of students with no potential.

The best classes I had in public school where the advanced classes, where everyone was trying their hardest and worked together.
>>
>>56653145
Just give up. The sooner it comes crashing down, the sooner wr can rebuild
>>
Back in high school, I noticed how terrible money was managed, even if it was literally donated to them.

What did they spend it on? Shit like sports, a new gym floor, a track and field, etc. Meanwhile, books were outdated, computer classes were small, if not hidden or barely advertised, and classrooms were cramped, dirty, vandalized, etc. Bear in mind, this was a majority white school in Northern California.

Guess what? Our Football team was shit, kids didn't want to do PE classes, the most-popular sports were lacrosse and water polo, and nobody went on to be some NFL star or get some badass scholarship. In fact, things like that are rare, even if the school managed money properly. They need to realize that 90% of people have either service, clerical, or office jobs when they get older, and these schools don't prepare students for such futures.

By the way, this was back in the MySpace era.

Also, what's with schools never having benches or tables? Everyone sat on dirty hallway floors or stood during free time. Only the retards got to sit at clean tables.
>>
>>56652810
Middle school teacher from South Carolina here

When /pol/ says women are whores, this applies for young teens too

>most girls in this school date/like african american athletes
>most students are disrespectful
>we do not teach our students stuff to remember forever, we basically test them on their memory skills (yes i have had students forget things i taught a month ago
>students do not give a shit about their grades, make me fear about the next generation... a bunch of mc donald workers or something???
>>
>>56657344
>>Entered kindergarten already knowing meaning of life
you already knew about sex? holy shit.

porn at the age of 4 must have been incredible.
>>
>>56652810
teacher are fighting for lots of those things here.We have the same issues.
>>
>>56659866
Most of the slutty students where I'm from went for the skater kid in skinny jeans, the preppy semi-surfer Abercrombie kid, or the emo. And then there were those skater-emo-pretty lite kids who did nothing but fuck, gossip, and had those checkered backpacks. Blacks were just blacks, if not less violent than the WIGGERS. Then again, this isn't the south.
>>
>>56652810
good, schools are brainwashing sjw facilities, I hope all the schools get shut down.
>>
File: 1419562227577.png (103 KB, 624x434) Image search: [Google]
1419562227577.png
103 KB, 624x434
>>56652810
>Graduated from a top 10 private university
>Offered position to teach at large state public school
>Accept and quickly realize how fucked the education system is
>Young enough where students would hit on you

The amount of students that couldn't speak proper English or even format a sentence shows how fucked up it is.
>>
>>56652810

I learned that shit 2.5 years into the degree and dropped it.
>>
>>56652810
>be American public school teacher

Step one: stop talking like a 12 year old.
>>
Glad I was homeschooled.
>>
>>56661927
>Complaining about meme speak on a meme board.
>>
File: 1447358303425.png (129 KB, 724x611) Image search: [Google]
1447358303425.png
129 KB, 724x611
>>56661927
Whats it like being so new?
>>
You wanna talk about public school? none of the kids could read any English, classes are used to study for standardized tests that reflect the schools success. Teachers blow, 50% Drop out rate..
>>
>>56658236

That's what Honors and AP classes are for in high school. The kids who actually want to do shit enroll in those, and surprise surprise, they get the better students paired with the better and more senior teachers. They also tend to be smaller, but even if they were crowded, it's still the best kids in the school.
>>
>>56652810
JOHN TAYLOR GATTO
SECRET HISTORY OF PUBLIC EDUCATION
complete text for free online
Yes there actually is a literal conspiracy from the days of John Dewey to make most people borderline retarded
>>
My best friend teaches

They have 10 "administrators" to every one teacher, and every single one of them makes more than the highest paid teacher. All of it is the result of the teacher's union giving all their cronies cushy jobs that do nothing.

Education spending is at an all time high, but all of that money is wasted on bullshit bureaucracy.
>>
>>56664666
AP master race
>>
>>56653145
public school education is destroying the western world. all the unemployment issues, all the strife, is because of shitty education. it's not your fault but you know you're in a corrupted system. In America you need to destroy the department of education. you also should scrap a lot of public schools with private school tax credits. to be honest just get rid of a whole lot of school - people can get work ready skills with a computer in a few months. public school education serves the unions not the students, it also inculcates into students a dependence and obeyance of state Government. I'm sure you know about the prussian model. If you take your kid out of public school and homeschool them, even if you have 0 training in homeschooling, you automatically bump them up to the top 87th percentile in terms of quality of education ACROSS THE BOARD, including improved social ability.

I think a lot of this slide into absolute shit was caused or at least facilitated by women. Women are not as responsible on a deep level as men are. Their scope of responsibility just cannot extend far enough, it can exist in a small group or a predetermined task but it cannot extend to the education system of millions over a period of decades. Women just fuck up. Boys not having a strong male role model/mentor should be seen as child abuse - and in schools you often get predominantly women teaching boys. They have sapped the competition, the hardship, the challenge out of education willingly. They have betrayed a generation of boys and deluded themselves with 'girl power' by wasting educational resources on girls many of whom won't really change the world. It's all fucked

Western countries are a matriarchy. In the future do not allow women anywhere near anything of importance

women are fucking responsibility-phobic and so prone to sexism that it's ridiculous we let them teach boys
>>
>>56656096
Fucking hell. they will be in for a real shock if they go to college. Before entering Grad school I was cursing a C I got my first semester. It fucked with my GPA... and there might of been two of them.
>>
Thank god my grade school experience was fly
>>
Last great year in US public education: 2007

Post-iPhone is nothing but Obamagen entitled little shits.
>>
>>56664666
>tfw you enter uni as a sophomore
too bad my degree is now worthless thanks to the retards let in because of their race/gender

I'll be set when capitalism makes a comeback
>>
female teachers want to be popular with their students more than they give a shit about their future. they let phones in class, they let the curriculum corrode so the kids like her more

women are too insecure to be allowed to teach
>>
>>56655603
We figured out that outsourcing to Asian kids in sweatshops and immigrants who will work for peanuts sounded cost-efficient, but hurt our labor force greatly.

Worse, in my private middle /high school, we were told anyone with less than a white collar job would be seen as a total loser, undeserving of respect.

No one wants to be in trade school anymore
>>
>>56656096
I'm back in college and my history teacher gives A for 86%+ and 66%-85% is a B. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT. to get a F you have to do below 30%. AND SHE GIVES EXTRA CREDIT.
This is why College Degrees are becoming as useless and High School Degrees.
>>56655038
>I let kids retake tests, t
that is so fucking dumb in high school. That just encourages them not to try to see if they can wing it.

We have peer review in College English and the papers of other students in Class can't even string together sentences. I really don't think the baby boomer generation knows how bad schools are.
>>
>>56671180
lol. 90% of "White Collar" jobs is office bitch work nowdays.
Unless you become a professional (lawyer/ doctor/engineer) with a post bachelors degree you should drop out of high school and start a trade.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.